Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bjssbjss Posts: 51
    I would agree with you on your 'rule of thumb'.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    The 2003 Passat owner's manual, VW's website, and the Bentley manual all show the manufacturer's recommended TB interval at 105K, not 90K. Bentley's has a footnote showing their editors recommend 60K. I'm aiming for 60 to 65K myself, with mostly suburban driving. I think your rule of thumb is right on, though.
    I've thought you've just saved $70, but the slot underneath the steering wheel was empty.

Well, it was worth the try. At least you'll know where your new manual should go.
  • tsf7tsf7 Posts: 31
    For what its worth, I have an '02 Passat 1.8t currently with 115k miles. I have owned it since about 38k miles. I replaced the timing belt and water pump (new one w/ metal impeller) at 105k miles (actually, a little above that) in December, and the one the mechanic took out was in great shape. There was some corrosion around the water pump indicating that it was getting ready to start leaking, but there was no problem yet. I bought parts online, installed by an independent mechanic (with years of experience working on German cars) for about $500 total, as I recall.
    My Passat ('02 1.8t) seems to think the driver's door is open at times. The problem has progressed over the past 4 months -- it used to go away with a firm re-shutting of the door, but now the chime is going of constantly sometimes, and other times doesn't.

I think a sensor may be dirty or have a bad connection. I can't seem to find the location of the sensor to check it. Anyone have experience with this problem?
    My '02 1.8t Passat has been perfectly reliable. I've put nearly 80k miles on it in almost 3 years (yeah, I've spent a lot of time in it!). Aside from an ignition coil replaced due to a recall (didn't fail, however) and several headlights burning out, I haven't had a single problem with it (current door sensor issue aside, see my above post). It has been lots more reliable than the last Honda product I owned (an '01 Acura TL that chewed up 2 transmissions and the dash gauges failed in 2 years/33k miles of ownership). Not bashing Acuras or Hondas at all -- that 5-spd transmission in the TL was under-engineered for that engine, and has since been remedied. But just goes to show that all brands -- even Honda and Toyota -- have periodic engineering problems and sometimes consumers pay the price for those shortfalls.

I love driving my Passat, by the way. Even though it has less power than the TL had, and isn't quite as luxurious (mine is a GLS w/ 5-spd, leather, ect), it is just really fun to drive -- there is just a better connection with the road and the car that is hard to describe. i can't speak for the new body styles, but I really like my '02.
  • 34993499 Posts: 2
    my passat as gradgualy lost power it as a computer fault code :-17965
    any information on this fault please
  • Found on URL below
    17965 P1557

Charge Pressure Contr. Positive Deviation

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm
  • 34993499 Posts: 2
    can this be explayned in laymans terms please
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    The 2003 Passat owner's manual, VW's website, and the Bentley manual all show the manufacturer's recommended TB interval at 105K,

Like splitting hairs, eh?

I have the Bentley Manuals for the B5 Passat, AND Mk4 Jetta/Golf, so I am very much aware of the 105K recommendation. The 90K-100K interval is MY recommendation - I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than roll the dice on a $5,000+ engine replacement.

Having owned and worked on VWs (Mk1 through Mk4) for the past 27 years (including performing many timing belt jobs myself), I believe I know a thing or two about timing belts.... :shades:
    Not to split hairs, but you wrote:

As far as the owners manual is concerned - timing belt replacement every 90,000 miles is pretty reasonable (given that the timing belt itself is very robust) - with one caveat. If you replaced the original OEM plastic water pump with a new OEM plastic water pump, I wouldn't go beyond 65,000 mile intervals, given the water pump's uncanny ability to disintegrate at that time.

I took that to mean that you thought the owner's manual recommended a tb change at 90K. It doesn't.

I still agree with your recommendation for changes/ :D
  • arhoparhop Posts: 1
    I am wondering if there is any way to open the hood of the car without the "tab". Mine broke off about two weeks ago and I have not been able to get it into the dealer to repair it and would like to check oil...I can not find my owner's manual (the one book I need is not in the binder!) so just wondering if anyone know of an alternate way to open the hood.

Thanks!
  • I have a 99 passat and i had just put $950 dollars into the dang thing for the ignition control module, valve cover gasket, and a variety of other things. Needless to say i'm tired of putting money into this car. Plus the nearest volkswagen service center is 250 miles away. So anyways when the switch for the air conditioner is turned to positions one through three the blower does not kick on the "AC light" is illuminated and the radiator fan kicks on. Also when the switch is on one through three the condenser is cooling the air but just not being blown. When you turn the switch one step further (to position 4) the blower kicks on, the AC light turns off and the air gets progressively warmer as the condenser warms up (turns off). Is this just the switch going bad? A Relay? please help me with this. Thanks
  • Excuse me. Do you know if the "resistor block" fixed the problem for that guy? i have the same problem. Can you let me know please? Thank you much.
  • kelvin4kelvin4 Posts: 1
    Hi All
    I have an m reg vw passatt 1900 tdi 172000 miles on the clock.
    I recently took it to the garage as the actuator arm on the turbo was stuck. the garage released it but i have still got a problem when going to overtake a car i lose power in fact at one time when doing 80 mph it has dropped off to about 60mph Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be is say the turbo on the way out or what. When i try to accerlerate at times its as though it is holding back slightly though on level ground seems fine.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated Thank You.
  • i just bought a 97 passat and i love it, the passanger side blinkers work but the marker light in the bumper and on the side of the headlight as well as the tail light on the same side all do not work any ideas?
  • I would like to put an aftermarket cd player with sat radio hook up in my 97 passat glx with the premium sound system, tape deck with changer. Any thing I need to know or worry about with this swap out? I am gonna use a wire harness and stuff so nothing gets cut but I hear it might mess with the computer?
  • topassattopassat Posts: 2
    I have a '99 passat and I have a aftermarket radio, the problem is some of the older model radios can mess up the computer when ever you go to a shop to get your car fixed. But if you can get a new model radio and if you take to the shop and they want to check your computer they just have to turn off the radio and it will be fine so you can use a aftermarket radio. Just make sure its a good name brand radio.
  • topassattopassat Posts: 2
    The best type of polish what made my headlights look brand new was novus polish the polish is amazed before i put it on it was yellow and hazy now it's so shine and nice the website is novuspolish.com
  • cheif810bcheif810b Posts: 3
    thanks it is a kenwood cd player with sat. radio hook up. It is about 4 years old but works well, I have it all hooked up and everything seems to work so I think I am ok, thanks for info.