Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• greatcarsgreatcars Posts: 66
    08 Passat Turbo 2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A

I have seen people reported great MPG on 08 passat at around 30 MPG. But this never happened to me. I don't know how these people got the number.

For me if I checked on the instrument display by flipping the Trip tip it showed I had around 22 MPG and 27 MPG. However, I don't believe that. I did my own calculation: after each fill-up I reset the trip to 0. On next fill-up I divided the trip mileage by the # of gallon of the 2nd fill-up and I had barely above 19 MPG (1/4 were on highway) on the last calculation. I had got 26 MPG once with much of highway driving and usually I got about 22 MPG on mixed driving. So far I had driven 1600 miles. Hope the MPG will improve as I drive more.
    08 Passat Turbo 2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A

I wanted to check the air filter but it seems it is not accessible easily. Intuitively it should be visible and connected to the motor but I haven't located it. I did not touch anything and closed the hood. I did not find any instruction on replacing air filter in the manual. On other cars this should be the easiest DYI thing and even grandma can do it. So what's the trick here?
  • cragg3rcragg3r Posts: 16
    follow the black hose from the radiator to a box,
    and that is where it awaits your mercy,
    to shake it down of its dusty core
    or give the job to its new cousin!
  • Hi all,

Need a bit of advice from anyone in the know please.

Have a strange problem with a VW Passat I just brought. Its got 83k on the clock, 1.9 tdi 130 on a 2002 plate.

I started up one morning and drove off. All seemed fine until I tried to overtake a car and found I had no acceleration left - the car had no pull, it felt like a 1000cc mini or something.

I did all the usual things, turning the engine off, waiting, restarting, etc. Nothing made any difference. It stayed that way until I spoke with a friend who said to take the petrol cap off and start the engine, so I did that and funnily enough it worked and all power came back to the engine.

About 400 miles later the same thing happened - I 'fixed' it in the same way.

I think the idea was that no air was getting into the tank and a vacum was building. By opening the tank it was released.

I took the car into a VW garage and they ran the tests. Apparently one of the cylinders is misfiring and thats their reasoning for the loss of power. But I don't see why it would be resolved by opening hte fuel cap, and wouldn't it show power loss all the time with a mis fire??

I only question this as they told me the car may need a new turbo system, or injectors. They want to run a compression test at 2 hours labor and then depending on the results rebuild the head gasket (??) or replace the turbo system (ata cost of 1500!)

any thoughts anyone - I've seen a lot of talk about the mass air flow on these cars but have no idea if that might be relevant in this case...

thanks in advance

Richard
  • katerrinakaterrina Posts: 1
    About a week ago my EPC light came on, then a day later, while I was stopped at a red light my car shut off completely. It restarted but the EPC light stayed on. I contined driving it to work for about for days. ASll the while my car would stop at a red light or stop sign (while idle). Today I noticed another light on in conjuntion with the EPC light. The light is the MIL light. Im so confused I took it to my mechanic, but all testing proved nothing was wrong. Does any one have an idea what the problem is?
  • Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2000 VW Passat GLX and it just hit 100,000 miles. I am the 2nd owner and when i bought it from the dealer, they said this car is in the best condition that they have ever seen. Yeah sounds like BS, but I took their word for it since I went through a close friend that personally knows the owner of the dealership. They also extended their warranty since they felt so confident about this Passat. I'm not sure what type of maintenance has been done in the past since I just bought it at 93k.

It talked to a VW dealership and they said I am going to need the 20k maintenance done. They also said I should start taking "special care of the car" and recommended a coolant flush and new timing belt.

If anyone can offer advice on what type of service/maintenance should be done, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million,
    Steve
  • tgiftgif Posts: 1
    Hi, I own a 2002 Passat GLX and it is experiencing the same problems you are having, I purchased a replacement engine computer which should fix the problem
    as soon as I figure out how to re-set the darn thing!
    Let me know if you have resolved your issue, my mechanic would love to know!
  • sweeper3sweeper3 Posts: 1
    The a/c in my Passat died on the hottest day of the year last year. For some reason, I thought the warranty had expired so I didn't take it to the dealer.

This past week I took it to my local repairman - a great person - and after checking it all out he told me he believes the issue is with the computer as the a/c worked fine when he "jump started" it. He hopes there is a software fix and that they won't tell me I need an entirely new computer.

I now have to take it back to the dealer if I want a/c this summer - unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of faith in the dealer and if I'm paying $110/hr. for labor I want them to get it right the first time and I don't want to be, pardon the pun, taken for a ride.

So, my question is: does anyone know if there is a software fix to get the a/c running again or am I looking at a new computer? If so, any idea as to how much that might cost.

TIA
    Anybody has done the calculation as I did? Seeing other people posting they got more than 30 MPG on mixed driving drove me nuts.
  • btweedybtweedy Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Passat, GLX. The LCD display located behind the stering wheel starts fading as the car is driven. When the car is first started the display works perfectly, but after the car is driven, the display starts to fade. Any suggestions?
  • I have a similar problem with my 02 passat. At nighttime I could see clearly all of the information on the lcd display, but in the daytime I can only see the bottom half information, the top is barely visible. wonder what the problem could be.
    I did it again, opened all the way near radiator to the engin chunk and did not see air filter (2008 Passat 2.0T) at all. It's clearly from the openening for air intake till the part connected to the engin and it is empty all the way. I did not open the large cap over the engin afraid of messing up things I am not familiar. As I posted in the original post on air filter, this should be the most easily accessible part and even grandma can do it. While I was doing this another guy with car enthusiasm also checked under the hood carefully. Both of us could not figure out where is the air filter. We concluded it's either under the large cover over the engin or it's missing. A car should have an air filter any way.

I called VW and was told I better go to the dealer to find it out.

The metal clip over the air intake tube is a stupid thing. Unless you have proper tool it's very hard to put it back if you moved it from the car. So if in any case you need to remove the soft plastic tube just push that clip over the metal inner tube for easy reinstallation.

I believe there must be some people who checked their air filter on the 2.0T model given the gas price skyrockets. Where is the air filter? I can't find a replacement air filter anywhere, in local auto stores or online.
  • ekg426ekg426 Posts: 3
    I definitely have the LCD fade on my '03 Passat, as well. Been there since I bought the car. What's odd about my fade is that it only occurs during the summer months - i.e. when it is really hot outside. Starts at about 80 degrees and is worse the hotter it is outside. The fade does not lessen or increase with driving - it stays very consistent, which anywhere from 80 degrees to 112 (highest I've recorded on the car), is pretty faded out. Any ideas? Again, this is not a new issue, came compliments with the car.
  • cragg3rcragg3r Posts: 16
    2008 Passat 2.0T engine compartment image

Im guessing that is the same model as your car. I see the black hose disappearing into the engine and I understand what you are saying. I wouldn't want to pry in there either, even though you probably couldn't mess anything up. Although the black box to the right looks similar to what mine looks like, but I'm pretty sure that is probably the fuse box or something.

Anyway, why are you looking to change your air filter if you have a 2008 passat. Its barely a year old. I don't think you need to worry about a clogged air filter bogging you down in such a new car.
    Yes, thanks. that image is exactly the one for my 2008 passat 2.0T. There are three parts on the right side of the engine on the image: fuse box, battery, and the hose/tube for air intake from the far right side. So I opened the whole hose/tube for air intake part and did not see air filter and the whole part is empty. First I just wanted to take a look how the air filter look alike and I wanted to order one permanent filter with another car. After I could not find it I became more curious about it and wanted find out. Now if the air filter is indeed under the big piece of the cover over the engine I would say that's a stupid design. If not then is it missing on my car or where is it? I would report here after I visit dealership.
  • spudly1spudly1 Posts: 1
    April my Monsoon Premium 6 radio died. I ejected a CD and it never turned on again. I tried all the tricks I could find regarding fuses.

The car sat for 11 days and upon return from vacation, the battery was dead (it was 5 years old). I replaced it.

I then started thinking these things were related. I brought it to VW and they assured me there was no drain from the dead radio. I bought a new radio - same thing and you can only get refurbished. I plugged it in the parking lot, entered the code, and music again. I then wen to my next stop and when I locked the car with the remote, no beep was heard. The lights flashed and the little red light on the driver door need the lock flashes.

I came home and tried my other key pod. It doesn't work with that one either. The panic works fine.

With our Pathfinder you can program the remote to beep or not beep. I couldn't find anything about this in the manual. Is there such a thing? Did I hit some combo of buttons that did this? Or is something hosed?
  • btweedybtweedy Posts: 2
    I called the local dealer to discuss my problem with the lcd screen. They informed me that the only way to fix the problem is to replace the instrument panal. Apparently the lcd is not lighted by an individual bulb. This would be very costly, so I guess we will have to live with fading problem in the summer months.
  • linznblinznb Posts: 3
    My passat decided that when i turn on any part of the air conditioning/heating system that it is not going to do anything at all. I've checked the fuse inside the car and it is fine. Not sure what else to do and hoping someone can give me an idea ... My baby is hot! Thanks! :confuse:
    My baby is hot, too. It's 08 automatic turbo. I have to run the 3rd or 4th gear of the fan for 10-20 minutes to get it cool and have to run at 3 to keep it cool. It's barely better than my 14 year old trade-in. My 3 year old only need to run at the 1st gear fan to coll down and keep cool. This Passat AC is like 10 year old. Will have the dealer check it.
    Confirmed. I went to dealer and asked about the air filter (for 2008 2.0T Passat) and was told it is under the large piece of cap (with FSI sighn) covering the engine. He told me not to open it myself and the air filter only needs replacement every 40-48 thousand miles. I did not question that but I am still suspicious because I never heard of anything like that regarding air filter. So please follow this up if you hear similar confirmation or contradicting or alternative explanation.