Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    I have a 1999 Passat V6 (2.0 Liter engine) with 135,000 miles. Over the past few months we've been dealing with a coolant leak that cannot be located. I've had the car to our mechanic a number of times, and he's done two pressure tests, with the engine running and with it not running, and he even left the test to run all night on one occasion, but he gets no coolant loss during these test.

However, about every other week, I have to add 1 - 2 cups of coolant to the reservoir. I see no other signs of leakage. The mechanic also replaced the reservoir cap at one point, but that hasn't stopped it either.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
  • This message appeared. Brought it into the dealership, they made me produce 7 oil change receipts and said the work would be covered by VW. Apparently Synthetic oil should be used exclusively. It's in the shop currently, they have warned me of potential engine damage. Should I be concerned? They said that there is considerable engine sludge and an intense flush and replacement of hoses from the engine is required.
  • I also have a 2003 1.8T and VW sent a letter a few years ago acknowleging possible oil sludge. Cannot remember if they did a recall also. VW should be responsible for fixing your problem. Do not let the dealership talk you into paying and trying to get reimbursed. They have done that to me several times. I only switched to synthetic oil this year when the mileage reached the 90,000's. I have never been told you have to use synthetic exclusively, rather they suggest when the mileage gets higher. Stand your ground with the dealership and good luck.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    they made me produce 7 oil change receipts and said the work would be covered by VW. Apparently Synthetic oil should be used exclusively. It's in the shop currently, they have warned me of potential engine damage. Should I be concerned?

I'd be a lot more concerned if they hadn't said that VW was picking up the tab! Didn't you get this letter?

BTW, if you read your original owner's manual, you won't see the words "use synthetic oil." You will, however, see wording to use 5w-40 weight oil that meets certain VW specifications. 5w-40 only comes in synthetic.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    " I have never been told you have to use synthetic exclusively, rather they suggest when the mileage gets higher."

Have you read your user's manual?
    Have you seen the letter that altair had posted?

Krzys
  • wwraywwray Posts: 4
    I've been told by both mechanics and the salesperson that sold me the used 1.8T, that synthetic only for a hot running turbo engine. We cooked our engine on a trip to Florida because we didn't know the mechanics put regular oil in the car at an oil change. We took it to a VW mechanic to replace a new oil pump and he showed us the coagulation where you put the oil in.
  • Yes, and I have had every single 5,000 mile maintenance done on the car since I bought it brand new. All mainteneance has been done at the VW dealership also.
    I have had no oil sludge problems and the dealership only switched my car to synthetic oil this year and I have 92,000 miles.
    You wrote: I have had no oil sludge problems and the dealership only switched my car to synthetic oil this year and I have 92,000 miles.

To stray slightly off topic - this is what scares me and others about VW dealerships. Look at the date on the letter I posted recently on the sludge warranty extension - August, 2004. And they've just switched you to synth this year.... :confuse:
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    some dealers cannot read?

Krzys
    More like some dealers didn't want to cut into their profit margin, or lose business by telling a customer "hey, that $19.95 oil change we advertised doesn't apply to you."

When I got my '03, I already knew it needed synth from some of the forums I had joined before buying the car. But to make sure I was buying the right oil, I had to cruise the interwebz a bit before I settled on Valvoline's Synpower 5w-40 and then switched over later to Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula.
  • 1999 Passat GLX - 113K miles
    In the beginning, all was swell. Then came The Problem. As a group, a set of dashboard indicators (Tach, ABS, Oil, and Brake) fail. Intermittently. That is too say, when The Problem manifests, they all do their wrong thing (Tach doesn't move, ABS stays on, Oil and Brake blink together). And when The Problem goes away, they all work correctly. Over time, "intermittent" has transitioned from occasionally, to Most of the Time. Like 99% of the time, the Problem manifests. I hate this. The dealer offered to change all the related sensors (but NOT to fix The Problem). The car is not offering up a Code. My local Auto Repair shop did not want to get involved. :cry:

Various armchair mechanics have suggested a loose connection on a wire harness. Where do the wire harnesses terminate? I'd happily try to reseat it.

Maybe a sensor is wearing out - shorting, opening - causing the problem.

So any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. :)
  • Funny, I am looking for a solution to a similar gremlin. My OD, clock, RPM, MPH etc all stopped working yesterday. This has happened once before, but I only knew it from my clock and my trip miles zeroing out. The dash lights are still working and the car runs fine. After it happened, I smelled something akin to melting plastic but only for a moment. I read on another blog that the Passats have a tendency to blow clusters on cold days. Any ideas?
  • Sorry - I'm not familiar with 'clusters' in this context.

My problem - which was in evidence 100% of the time through the summer, has disappeared briefly a few times in the last week. Coincidently, it has been quite cold when it's worked. I don't think anything is 'blown' since it can still come back to normal operation. Maybe cold allows loose contacts to 'make' until things warm up. Grasping at straws.
  • I'm having some trouble with a leak that I can't seem to figure out. It is comming from behind the left front wheel. I know I have a CV boot that needs to be replaced. When the wheels are turned fluid is spurting out, but my fluid levels are still fine? I'm wondering if is the tranny, but aparently I can't check the tranny fluid according to my dealer. Suposedly the only way I can diagnose a tranny problem is after I have one? I don't want to wreck my tranny. My steering is getting tight, but again my fluid levels are fine. I was told it might be a return sending unit problem? I had some brake work done about a month ago and I'm wondering if they pinched one of my hoses? It is an '05 GLS with the 1.8 turbo. I have almost 97k and have owned it since it was brand new. Thanks.
  • we bought a92 passat and the gas cover button and trunk buttons are gone is there another way to open the cover to the gas tank so we don't run out of gas
  • I'm trying jump my car's battery but can't find it. Can anyone tell me or have a picture of where the battery is? In Passat, 6 cyl 2003.
    It's under the cover at the base of the windshield, between the engine firewall and the windshield. You can access it by removing the sliding cover. To change the battery out, you'll need to remove the entire cover by prying off the rubber gasket at the engine side of it.

Next to the brake fluid reservoir, straight back from the engine.
  • This morning when I started the car, the "BRAKE" indicator on the dash remained lit. I tried restarting with no change. I started driving and the display said "HANDBRAKE ON" and started sounding a persistent alarm. The brake wasn't on, and the car was running fine. I found out as I drove that the turn signals weren't working either, however all the other electrical seemed to be fine.

I tried reseating the fuses by pushing on the top of all of them - but does anyone know if this is a fuse problem - or any other suggestions? I can't get into the shop until Tuesday or Wednesday, and I don't feel like hearing a constant beep every time I am in the car. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe
  • I have a 2002 1.8T Passat and just yesterday I got the STOP check coolant message on the display. I saw that the temperate on the temp guage shot up into the red zone and I guess that triggers the check coolant warning.
    I looked at the coolant level under the hood, and it was indeed below the MIN level. I don't know if it means there is a coolant leak or could there be something else wrong like thermostat gone bad, water pump has disintegrated, etc..
    Any ideas what could be going on, what should I do, and what to expect in terms of repair expenses?? Thanks!