Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• This is great news. It makes me wonder if I had the software would I have avoided replacing my throttle body on my Audi A6 at a cost of about $1,000. I guess the Audi dealer would never have admitted it in any case. Next time I will invest in the diagnostic equipment.

I wonder how many times that when we have trouble with our cars it is not the car but the mechanic just trying to make a living. I have a boat with two 454 cubic inch Crusader engines in it. I do all the maintenance myself because it is hard to get service away from the marina. My engines are 1984 vintage and they purr like a kitten. I wouldn't think of having a mechanic touch them. I always think I would be in worse shape.

Good luck.
  • I am having trouble replacing the left rear brake light on my 2005 Passat station wagon TDI. Anyone have any ideas and/or photos?

Thanks,
    Chuck Hanson
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    Thanks for the feedback on the MAF and congrats on approaching the problem with a good diagnostic tool! Sounds like you persisted and this paid off, great.

• tibatiba Posts: 3
    I have 1999 VW passat 1.8T 20V, manual, AEB and the engine blew out. I have to change the whole engine. Does anybody knows if an Audi A4, same year engine fits on my passat?
    I'll appreciate ,
    Thanks!
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    identical

Krzys
  • gbunomegbunome Posts: 3
    stored my 2003 passat v6 for winter and closed the side mirrors electricaly. Took the car out and put the mirror control knob back to normal position and they wont re-open! does anyone have any clue of what maybe hapening or to fix the problem. :)
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    Stupid question,..but can you manually pop the mirrors back out? I've never had the option that automatically folds them, so I don't know if you break the system if you manually pop them out. Did the car lose power over the winter? If so, maybe it needs to "reset" in order to have that function work again. Anytime I've changed the battery in my Passat, the auto up feature on the front windows doesn't work until I drive the car for one cycle and use the key fob to lock and unlock it. Then that feature works again.

Just guesses....
  • gbunomegbunome Posts: 3
    yes they open manually! but definately what you say about the dead battery makes much sense because yes the battery died-out. :) thx will keep you posted on what the outcome is!! much appreciated
  • janemo31janemo31 Posts: 2
    my passat makes a clicking noise at the front wheels when turning left or right...sounding like there is a stick under the wheel...but there isn't. any ideas what it could be? bearings? i have no idea
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    CV joint(s) would be my guess. Do you have an weird looking grease splattered in the front wheelwells? Or you might see it on the inside surface of the rim. What year? How many miles? Passats are known to have longevity issues with the outer CV boots.
  • hwoodallhwoodall Posts: 2
    Help! My 2006 VW Passat suddenly is making a high pitch Noise (Like a jet engine) during idle/park and deceleration, when I accerelate higher than 2RPM it goes away but as soon as I left off the gas peddle it continues even after you turn off the car engine and then slowly fades away. The sounds almost appears to coming from between the transmission and engine (weird i know). Any ideas any one? We pulled the transmission out and we do not see anything unusual (thought might be torque converter)......I have over 100k miles on this car.
  • bwrpwrbwrpwr Posts: 3
    I just bought a '01 passat glx 5 speed, its got a 100k and seems to be in great shape. but today a "STOP CHECK MANUAL" warning light came on with beeps and an ABS BRAKE FAULT message following. does any one Know what this means? The pads rotors and fluid levels all seem to be ok. Any help would be much appreciated. I just want to know whats up before I any where.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    I do not know the definitive answer but it looks like ABS system is malfunctioning.
    Does anybody know if ABS computer is under one of front seats?
    Water intrusion problem?

Krzys
    no water damage, int. is perfect, I was thinking the ABS module, but don't really know. not so familiar with this car?????????
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You might want to google "passat ABS rebuild" for diagnosis help and solutions.
    thanks for the tip altair4, much appreciated
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    bwrpwr: Sounds like an ABS system problem as someone suggested. However, don't rule out the water intrusion problem that krzyss mentioned. There could be some minimal seepage due to a clogged sunroof drain channel that has corroded the under-carpet computer. Best bet would be to have your car scoped and see if you can find the correct code. Good luck, vwdawg