Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    I got the notice too.
    Are you sure about 5000 miles/6 months. I remember seeing 7500 miles and nothing about 5000 in new addenum.

Krzys
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Yes, I'm sure - 5,000 miles or 6 months, with a note that under certain driving conditions, the interval could be shorter.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    MSN has a car site where you can compare cars and reliability ratings. It's intreresting that the Passat looks better that the Accord, Camry and Maxima.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/compare.aspx?src=URES

Just click on reliability ratings and punch in the car you are interested in. To some it will be a surprise.
  • nflecknfleck Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with my transmission. I have had my passat for 4 months and about two months in the transmission started to "bump" when stopping. It was "fixed" by the dealer, and just a couple of days ago it started up again. This is the only problem I have had with the GLX. I really like the car and would recommend it to everyone.
  • For the past 3 or 4 months, I have had condensation behind my left front light. It looks more like fog than droplets, but it has persisted for a long time. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what's the solution? I live about 40 miles from the closest dealer, so if this is an easy fix, I'll do it myself. Thanks.
    I'd say that the headlight housing has lost it's integrity and allowed moisture to enter. Although it's also possible, if you've recently changed a bulb in that light, that the bulb was contaminated by oil from your hand and that the heat of the lit bulb has caused the oil to coat the interior of the lens.

I'd guess in either case the answer is to replace the unit. You might be able to buy one from someone on the other online forums. People occasionally upgade their standard lights to HIDs and then sell the old units.
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Posts: 172
    Still love my '03 GL, but one problem: at 17K miles I notice that the driver's shoulder-harness belt is getting sort of frayed at the edges. I began to notice this before 10K miles, and thought it was normal - but recently noticed that my sister's '03 Accord, at 16K miles, doesn't have this problem. (Note that I get in and out of the car far less frequently than my sister - she has a 10 mile commute, mine is 60 one-way.)

So what's normal seatbelt wear? What should VW do for me? Thanks.
  • They should give you $5.00, a swift kick in the butt, and then fix your belt---only because you dont complain alot.
  • vwfanvwfan Posts: 1
    Hi Bill159, Congrats on your 2004 Passat GLS wagon. I just got a wagon ourselves. Just want to check with you if you till hv the vibration problem? Also, hv you ever had any vibration and noise when the the sun roof is fully open going at abt 28mph? I read abt the helicopter noise and I suspect that is what I have but I am not sure since I still figuring out the features and functions of the car, switching over driving a stick-shift to the auto/triptonic. Appreciate if you could share with me your experience.
    :) Thanks!
    Brozhnik, our cars are at about the same mileage and age. I looked at my seatbelt this morning - no fraying on mine whatsoever.
  • I guess I should have indicated that this is a (reasonably) new car. It is a 2003 Passat (5-speed wagon) with 13,000 miles on it. This is the only problem I have had with the car (which I love). Sounds like a trip to the dealer is the solution. Thanks for your insight, especially if I ever change the bulb in the future.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 843
    are 5 speeds. Since 1998 they all are (except manual W8).

Krzys
  • dryverdryver Posts: 1
    I had that shattering sunroof experience at highway speed driving my new Subaru Outback a few years ago. It was like a bomb going off next to my ears, with no warning. Glass was everywhere; dog in the back was petrified; I was shaking; and it was very fortunate that there were no vehicles ahead of or behind me when I hit the brakes. It's the only thing to go wrong with that Outback, but I've never really felt safe in it since. Your note (and many of the others here) are helping me decide against the Passat as its replacement. thanks
  • amdamd Posts: 3
    Hi there,

I know this is off-topic, but I was just curious to find out your experience with GLX. I recently purchased a 2001.5 (NEW BODY SHAPE) GLX V6. Any feedback from you, would be great help.
  • amdamd Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2001.5 GLX V6, and Im scared after reading your problems. Do u think its accross the board or only your particular car is having such problems. Because I choose Passat over a Jetta, based on less electrical issues. Any feedback will highly be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • makakiomakakio Posts: 25
    Something here sounds strange. You state you drive slowly and conservatively and that you don't speed or drive "recklessly" (which I would take to mean that you don't brake hard). You also don't mention having any repeated panic stops. Or living in an area of the country where it's regularly below freezing (big temp differentials between ambient weather and brake temps in places like Minnesota or upstate New York can actually contribute to warping).

Yet your brakes have warped twice, at an average 16k miles each time. Without having been turned.

Hmmm. You also don't mention if you pull anything with your Passat (but I'll assume you don't).

I've research Passats - a lot - and haven't found that this is a common problem at all. Sure, people expecting 60k miles out of the brakes are dreaming (it's German and it uses soft pads to get those excellent braking figures). But this is an extreme example.

My only conclusion is that someone who drives the car must be constantly riding the brakes. Do any of the drivers drive with two feet?
  • I own a 1996 Passat VR6...love the car..5 speed...

the problem I have had is that when I go to start the car i have to rotate and push up on the key to get the starter to engage...recently, (yesterday) while doing this my key broke at the plastic...no biggie right? so I put the key in turned, pushed up and nothing...so I have to push start the car...

so..i know i need a new key...I did notice that is is very worn..could this be the cause or do I need a new ignition swith and key?

thanks
  • sandeebsandeeb Posts: 2
    My 99 Passat 1.8T had the same timing belt problem. It failed at 84,000 miles causing $5,000 damage (new engine). I'm also writing to VW, and I have found about 10 other people with the same problem of the timing belt breaking between 70K and 90K. To those of you that love your Passat, get the timing belt changed at 60K. My maintenance schedule had replacement due at 105,000 miles.
  • sandeebsandeeb Posts: 2
    I traded my Accord for a Passat, but after experiencing several instances of being stranded on the roadside by my Passat, I'm going back to an Accord. The Passat looks great and driving it was sheer joy. But I didn't look or feel great as I stood on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck. My Accord never failed me in 170,000 miles. The final straw was when the Passat's timing belt failed early (prior to scheduled maintenance) while I was 150 miles away from home. The damage cost about $5,000 for a new engine. Driver beware... If you buy a Passat because of the driving experience like I did, just make sure to get a roadside assistance plan with unlimited towing. And get the timing belt replaced at 60K.
  • Hi, I find my Passat 1.8T (with K04 chip and a catback exhaust) consuming much fuel. Getting about 7 or less km per litre (sorry, metric here). Wonder what's the source of the problem. Are there O2 sensors in this make? It is a Oct2000 model. Nice solid car to drive with good turbo kick, but with petrol prices almost the price of a good loaf of bread per litre, it's harder to justify ownership. I rather go sponsor a Third World kid.