Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jickjick Posts: 14
    Hello stevenp,

Pardon me ignorince, waht is "ODI" :confuse:

Jick
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    ODI = Office of Defects Investigation
  • c2sc2s Posts: 2
    My car has 97k...which prompted the rep at VW-USA Customer Service to say that my car was way past warranty, therefore in no case VW would do something for me...In my opinion a common defect has nothing to do with the milleage of the car
  • patrickb2patrickb2 Posts: 2
    Just received a quote from the dealer to replace timing belt, tensioner and dampener for 99 Passat 1.8T of 350 parts and 355 labor. 705 seems high to me. Was wondering whether I should search around for other quotes. Vehicle has 96k miles on it so I need to get it done soon. Was wondering if anyone knew if this the going rate? Thanks for any help.
  • induetimeinduetime Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Passat GLS with 65,000 miles on it. It has been a good car, though my dealer recently put it to me with the replacement of two tie rod ends that I suspect were just fine. Anyway, my problem is that just recently the car has lost power on acceleration. It seems fine when at a cruising speed, though I did notice that at 50 mph the car seemed to want to go faster and bucked up and down. This morning I had to put my foot to the floor to get the car to move. I've never had this problem before. I've always been pleased with the acceleration and pep of my car. Anyone got a suggestion? I drive a great deal for work and can't afford to be stranded somewhere. The problem seems to come and go, though it's getting more aggravating. I use high octane gas and have done all the scheduled maintenance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :confuse:
  • hatevwhatevw Posts: 1
    I just found out my 2001 VW Passat has an engine sludge problem. I have had an atrocious experience dealing with the dealer concerning this matter, and VW has been no help either regarding the warranty. I will NEVER buy another VW, and I will DEFINITELY tell everyone I know to be forewarned. :mad:
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    $705 is right in the ballpark. The timing belt itself isn't the expensive part - it's the labor. Due to the way your engine is oriented (front to back as opposed to sideways), to get to the timing belt in the Passat requires removal of the front bumper - not a quick job, and not cheap. As a matter of fact, I've heard of price quotes in excess of $1000 to replace the Passat's timing belt.

At 96K, I would get the timing belt replaced ASAP - otherwise you may be looking at a $5000+ engine replacement job due to a broken timing belt, valves meeting pistons, etc... :sick:
  • lyonseelyonsee Posts: 11
    2003 GLS, 1.8T Auto, about 20K miles, I took a test drive and was interested in buying it.

Engine has vibration after 80Mph, not too series but esay to feel it. Even the dealer said he felt the vibration, and said it may be the reason that the tires need balance.

This problem is the main concern even we are vey close about the price.

I'm a new guy in this forum and I will appreciate if some information provided.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    One more thing I forgot to mention - as part of the timing belt replacement, the water pump is also replaced (highly recommended to save on additional labor costs down the road) - which is also included in the $700+ cost.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Posts: 170
    $705 seems like a very good price for timing belt replacement. We had ours on our 99 V6 replaced last year at 87K miles. Including the water pump, thermostat, rollers, and belt dampers, the total (including a 10% discount from one of those coupons VW sends -- first time I'd ever used one) was $996.33. So if the $705 quote you got includes the water pump, that sounds like a very deal.

Good luck.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I would recommend getting the tires balanced and maybe aligned and see if that takes care of the vibration. I am not sure why a engine would vibrate at a certain speed. Good luck!!
    Get the water pump done, too.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    Every since I bought a new Ford in 1968 and took it back to the dealer to have it serviced, I ALWAYS check the oil level and invoice after the service. The Ford dealer way back then, different dealers since then, and the VW dealer now, frequently put in too much oil or the wrong oil. I have had my 2004 TDI serviced twice, and each time I have pumped out a liter of oil afterwards. (I now have a good supply to top it off when needed, which it hasn't needed.) The concept that different engines require different amounts and types of oil is unfathomable to many of the employees assigned the task. These are usually not the trained VW service techs. In other words, my guess is the service manager was feeding you a line. If you have been lucky so far, your engine probably has not been damaged.
  • vwteachervwteacher Posts: 1
    Hi! I've got so many problems with my VW right now that it looks like my dashboard is all lit up! I have about 93K miles on my car and bought it two years ago used. Just recently the following warning lights have appeared on my dashboard, and stressing me out! I have the following problems: 1) ABS/brake light going on, which in turns has the STOP brake fault; 2) emission workshop light on (replaced both oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor in the past year) 3) check engine light; 4) oil pressure - STOP/turn off motor...I've had all my regular oil changes done and just had Pennzoil look at it for sludge and they found none...not sure what the problem is. My boyfriend thinks it's an electrical problem since my car seems to be running fine and my oil level or temperature gauge has not changed. I've got an appointment with a VW dealership on Wednesday but I'd like to be prepared before hand of any possible problems that they may find. I've read a lot of ABS modules that have needed to be replaced, and I can't afford to get it fixed. If anyone could help with the problems I mentioned above, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your help!
  • spyder52spyder52 Posts: 30
    First of all I have to say I love the car but the problems are starting to get on my nerves! I seem to go to service center on a regular basis now. Sometime it's safty recall, other times is a faulty engine light, etc. The first week of my 02 delivery when new my onboard computer went dead, fast forward 3 years, front seat edge cushion callaped (I weight 170lbs). This week my radio is replaced because it died for no reason. Today I found out my A pillar clearcoat is peeling (will be see a regional rep to authorize repaint per dealer next week or two). Finally, today I also found out from dealer my rear brake rotors are warpped!!!!!! Due to heat and the design of the non-ventilated rear rotors they have to be replaced! When you are braking gently, and if your car feels like you are pumping the brakes to stop, your rotor may be warpped! Check with your dealer is you car is not stopping perfectly smoothly. :mad:
  • Hi,

I recently purchased a used Passat and, of course, no owners manual came with the car! I just replaced the rack and pinion stearing column, which, because the car had 110,000 miles on it, I figured was par for the course.
    Can someone supply me with answers to the following questions:

1. How do you set stations on the radio?
    2. How do you change the time on the clock?
    3. How do you replace the radio antenna?

Thanks,
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    1) When your on the station you want to program, hold one of the preset buttons until it beeps.
    2. How do you change the time on the clock?

By turning the pin sticking out of the instrument cluster. In one direction, it changes the hours and the other direction changes the minutes.
  • Hi,

Thanks to Fish8 and altair4 for the radio and clock answers. Has anyone else tried the new shark antennas?

Thanks
  • martin78martin78 Posts: 1
    Since 1997, I have purchased five new Volkswagen Automobiles. In 1997 I purchased my first VW, a Jetta that lasted over 100,000 miles. I traded it in on a 2001 Jetta and also got a Beetle for my wife the same day. The Jetta went almost 100,000 miles before I traded it for a 2004 Passat. I also traded the 2001 Beetle for a 2003 Turbo Beetle. In all I have almost 300,000 miles behind the wheel of Volkswagens. They are terrific cars that have terrific mileage, handling, reliability, safety, and performance.

They also have a power-train warranty that is written in smoke on a windy day.

On 10 Jun 2005, with slightly over 38,000 miles of use, and well within the power-train warranty of 60 month/60,000 mile, the engine lost oil pressure in Maryland on I-95. The Passat was towed to the nearest dealer in Delaware at no cost to me within two hours. The dealership took the car in and was ready to get to work. I rented a car and got on my way. Excellent so far!

About an hour down the road, the dealership called me and informed me that the warranty may not cover the repair, since the computer system did not show the initial service at a VW dealership in Fayetteville, NC and I could not find proof that I changed the oil at 10,000 miles and 25,000 miles (which I did in my garage using oil filters from the local dealer and premium Castrol 5W-30 motor oil. The records; however, did show service at 18,000 and 34,000 miles at my local dealership. I have seven reasonable questions:

1. Why should an extremely loyal five-time buyer (more than one car every-other year) have to prove anything?

2. Why are VW owners “guilty until proven innocent” by Volkswagen of America for warranty coverage?

3. Why doesn’t VW prove why it should not honor their warranty versus having the owner prove that VW of America should?

4. Why can’t the 800 service line help the customer, other than offer a plethora of apologies?

5. How does Volkswagen of America treat their first-time buyers?

6. Why do VW Owners and Dealers believe in the cars and VW of America doesn’t?

I understand VW of America’s concerns about non-VW parts, modifications by the owner that may damage the car, or improper use (racing) of the car; however, Passat owners do not strike me as the type. I use (and always use) only VW parts from the dealership. I use the car to commute to work and to travel with my wife. Neither uses are racing activities. Such concerns do not excuse such alienation of the owners!

7. My last question is: why should I ever buy another (or recommend) VW product again?