Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,769
    That is most likely the ABS self test. All ABS equipped vehicles run this test under the conditions you describe. It's just louder in some vehicles.
  • torvgtorvg Posts: 1
    To carfan3:
    I own the same vehicle as yours since December 2005. Never heard any noise in the rear. I don’t think it has anything to do with the ABS as it was suggested by robr2. Let them check what is the problem and let us know.
  • willsswillss Posts: 1
    I've had a pretty problem-free ownership experience with my 1999 GLS 1.8T. Ever since I've had the vehicle (1999) I've had a panasonic CD changer with the stock deck. The other day while changing disks it stopped working. While the radio still works whenever I switch to CD I get an error. Furthermore I am unable to remove the CD magazine. It's not a 'disc error' but just an 'error'. Anyone dealt with a similar issue? I'd rather not take it to a dealer.
  • carfan3carfan3 Posts: 27
    Ok. They did not know what it was, but it might seem normal because of the following:
    1 - They did all engine test, computer tests, rear wheel check-ups and did not find anything.

2 - I test drove with them, and had the guy listen to the noise, and he felt it was something normal. But just to be sure, he got me the keys to another Passat V6 on the lot and I drove that car too. The same, "knocking" or "drumming" noise was in that car also. So we concluded it was normal. But he will get in touch Passat Quality department to describe the noise and understand what it exactly is.

It looks like all the Passat V6s have it. i don't know about the 4-Cylinder engines.
    i have another dilemma here. My DVD navigation system was telling me "Wrong DVD" the first week of my car purchase (week of February 13); it happened about 3 to 5 times that week. So we replaced the Disc, that same week, and ever since then it never happened until recently. Last week (week of February 27) , i got the same "Wrong DVD" sign just once. And this week (week of Febraury 6th) it happened again, but once as of this date. both times, i just removed the disc and put it back in. I don't know what is going on.

is that normal in all navigation systems that operate off of a disc or is it just mine?? I hope it the first case.

Anyways, i am going to talk to the guy who knows about these systems at the dealer on monday and see what he says. i hope i don't need to replace the whole Navigation system.

Anyone, please let me know if this is NORMAL.

thanks.
  • mtandomtando Posts: 1
    Purchased my '06 Passat 2.0T 6sp on 12-27-05. Have put 3,650 trouble free and very enjoyable miles since that time. It truly is a driver's car and is just as much fun to drive as past Porsches, my last S-Class, and my wife's current New Beetle Turbo Sport. There are three noises you will hear in the first few yards of travel when first starting up and taking off: The loudest will be the ABS running through it's moving check on all four corners; the automatic door locks at 7-10 mph; and, if you have the hill holder on, it's initial test. At least that's been my experience.........
    My 2 cents.............
  • 02hockey02hockey Posts: 3
    I had this happen to me on a 91 with a 5 spd trans. I put it in neutral and jumped the stater to see if it was the key or the starter, try this, for me it was just as loose wire on the starter even though I checked all wires before. I took each one off and put them back on and tightned it good with a little grease on to keep it free from rust. This may be your problem.
  • fainfain Posts: 1
    I've been thing of ordering an V6 with the Sport Pkg 2 + Nav. I have a few questions though.

Is there a way to add an AUX (RCA) or iPod input? If so, does this involve disabling Nav or Satellite?

I understand that the disk changer does not play MP3s, if I am not using the Nav system, can I play an MP3 CD in the player above the Nav system?

Is there a way to add Bluetooth capabilities?

I am ordering this direct from Germany, are there any of these options or other options I can order FACTORY installed?

TIA.
    :)
    i have another dilemma here. My DVD navigation system was telling me "Wrong DVD" the first week of my car purchase (week of February 13); it happened about 3 to 5 times that week. So we replaced the Disc, that same week, and ever since then it never happened until recently. Last week (week of February 27) , i got the same "Wrong DVD" sign just once. And this week (week of Febraury 6th) it happened again, but once as of this date. both times, i just removed the disc and put it back in. I don't know what is going on.

is that normal in all navigation systems that operate off of a disc or is it just mine?? I hope it the first case.

Anyways, i am going to talk to the guy who knows about these systems at the dealer on monday and see what he says. i hope i don't need to replace the whole Navigation system.

Anyone, please let me know if this is NORMAL.

thanks.
  • I have 2002 passat that had same problem. After dealer fumbled around trying to find the problem , turned out the drains under brake booster were clogged. Ended up costing me 1,155.00 and car is is under full warranty. VW customer care was no help at all, he agreed with dealer as "normal wear and tear" and I was responsible for repair.
  • tsf7tsf7 Posts: 31
    Just thought I'd share this observation--it isn't a problem, but definately a solution! ;) --while I had some down-time at work this afternoon. I own an '02 Passat 1.8T 5-speed, which I use to commute from Salt Lake City to Park City every day. There is a lot of snow driving involved in my mountainous 70 mile round trip during the winter. I put Michelin X-Ice studless tires on it for the winter.

This morning, the highway was restricted to chains/four wheel drive only (first time all winter!), so I turned around to get my wife's Durango--I hate putting on chains! It was the first time I've really driven the Durango in the snow since we bought the Passat last July.

Man, did I miss the Passat! The VW seems to perform as well or better in all conditions except when the snow gets more than a few inches deep (that 4" buildup between lanes is sketchy in the Passat sometimes, but that's about the only problem I ever have). The Durango feels clumsy and just doesn't feel as sure-footed when the road is real slippery, even in 4 wheel drive. Meanwhile, I'm getting 33 mpg in the Passat, and not as likely to roll over if I should lose control. And this is comming from someone who has driven 4 wheel drive SUVs all his life to this point!

I wonder what a 4Motion would feel like in comparison? Do those snow piles between lanes make the car feel like the back end wants to move around a little, or does the 4Motion compensate for this? Also, what kind of mpg do the 4Motions get--how much of a dent does it make? I know several people with Subarus who are disappointed with the 25mpg that they get on the freeway, whether there is snow on the road or it's sunny and clear! Makes me real glad I went with the Passat.

Have a good one... :D
  • macd1macd1 Posts: 2
    I have an 05 Passat TDI & am very happy with the vehicle except for the radio which has poor reception, especially on AM. Has anyone replaced their radio & what with? Did you have the 6 pack CD changer & was there compatibility?
  • I have '06 Passat and lately noticed that in the morning, it takes two tries to start the car. The car will not start during the first try. The temperature in the morning is usually between 39-48 F degrees. This just start happening about two weeks now. Does anyone out there experience this with their new car.

Thanks for your input.
  • kbhitkbhit Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Passat and is just shy of 80k miles. I have begun hearing a rattling sound in the engine so I took it into a VW dealer. They said the noise was obviously coming from the water pump. So the water pump estimate is $595. They recommended to also get the timing belt done at the same time and after reading threads on this website I think it's probably a good idea to to prevent engine damage if this belt breaks (even though it's not 100k miles yet). My problem is, is that the price quote for the timing belt is $780. Everywhere I read, if you get the water pump done on the 99 Passat then the timing belt shouldn't be that much more because you've already done much of the disassemblying.

However, the VW dealers (I've been to two) have told me that in my particular model on the 4-cylinder 1.8 turbo that the timing belt and water pump aren't near each other so there is no overlap in labor, therefore I have to pay for the full charge on both. They also said that there are 4-cylinder 1.8 turbos that do have the timng belt and water pump together but mine was not one of them.

Is there any truth to these statements? Can they actually really be in entirely different sections of the car? The 2nd VW dealer which confirmed that they are seperate only did so after I told them what the 1rst dealer said. I don't know if they confirmed it so that they could ALSO charge me more (because I'm doing service with the 2nd dealer).

Am I being too parnoid, please help!

Thank you

p.s. not to mention they also found a radiator leak which I'm replacing too and some coolant hose leaks. Total so far is ~$2000 for a checkup on a little noise coming from the engine!
    I think it's the other way around. It's not much more to replace the water pump if you are changing the timing belt as the pump has to come out.
    So they definately have to take out my water pump to get to the timing belt? (even though they said that in my model 1.8 turbo 99 passat, that they are in totally seperate compartments). They said there are 2 types of 1.8 turbo's and mine was the one that is seperate. Do you think they are lying? I don't trust dealers so I'm skeptical but maybe they are right?
    AFAIK, there is only one version of the 1.8T in terms of basic build. The timing belt, waterpump, and accessory belts all run off the crank.

IMHO, I'd go for a 3rd opinion and play stupid.
    They are actually doing the work at this moment. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll ask them to show me the crank and timing belt and water pump...
    It's too late I think. They are actually doing the work at this moment. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll ask them to show me the crank and timing belt and water pump...
  • reidkreidk Posts: 46
    Are you the original owner of the car? OR a Family Member of the original owner? IF SO, then your car should still be covered by the 10-Year / 100,000 Mile PowerTrain Warranty - which SPECIFICALLY COVERS THE WATER PUMP.
    Check out the Warranty Booklet that came with the car.

Even If you are not the original owner, it appears that your friendly VW dealer is taking you to the cleaners: the quotes may be perfectly "correct" in terms of doing each INDIVIDUAL JOB 'by the book,' but there is a lot of overlap which should significantly reduce the overall cost of doing BOTH TOGETHER.

You should have taken the time to get a quote from a third party (must be SOME independents in your area who work on VW / Audis - ?).
    Would also pay to invest in a Haynes VW Passat & Audi A4, 1998 - (2001), 1.8T 4 & 2.8 6 Engines:
    Check out section on Timing Belt (on 1.8T) on page 2A-4, and then look at the section on Replacing the Water Pump (Four-Cylinder engines) on page 3-4.
    You will find that BOTH of these procedures start with placing the radiator support panel "in the Service Position." THIS is where most of the labor is - and why it is so Expensive to have any work done - AND IT ONLY NEEDS TO BE DONE ONCE to gain access to BOTH the Water Pump and the Timing Belt.
    Sure, some other parts will have to come off, and they might not be the same parts if you were only doing ONE of the jobs than if doing both: but, again, the point is that there is a lot of overlap, and you should not have to pay Book Rate as if they were Disassembling the car for Water Pump, Putting it BACK TOGETHER, and THEN DISASSEMBLING EVERYTHING AGAIN for the Timing Belt!....

Sorry for the soap box, but this is something that really ticks me off: have thoroughly enjoyed my '99 Passat, and just put over $2,600 into it so I can Keep On Enjoying it, but it seems that service at VW dealers is a crap shoot at best. (Will refrain from any stronger indictment....)

Which is why I was willing to spend the above $2,600 to have work done at an Independent Garage. Even though (in theory) PART of that work would have been covered by the fore-mentioned PowerTrain warranty - had a leaking waterpump - it was less expensive to have the entire job done elsewhere (with having to pay for all of it) than to hand it over to the dealer (where part would have been under warranty).
    Not to mention that I slept better knowing that the work had a reasonably good chance of being done Well....

SIGH.

Good luck with the work, and apologies for the tirade: but would still suggest you do some Research - and then POLITELY ask "WHY?!?" if they attempt to double-charge; but perhaps with the name of good attorney stuck in your back pocket....

Reid / SE MI
    99 V6 5spd 80K
  • nippkenippke Posts: 2
    Throughout the winter I have dealt with my ABS and traction control lights going on and off daily in my 2004 VW AWD Passat. It seems that the lights go on together usually within the first ten minutes the car is on. Then they may go off or stay on sporadically. Within the past month, I have also had the "Brake" light flash with the word "STOP" on the message board. When I put the car in park, it seems to reset itself. The dealer is telling me that it could be the sensors but they don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking I could have spent way less money if I wanted to be driving a car without ABS brakes. Any ideas? We're trying another dealer but if they are also not helpful can I escalate this within VW to get it fixed while still under warranty?
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    I owned a 2001 Passat GLX, purchased new and sold it after reaching 19,000 miles. I had issues with the mirrors retracting and not going back, all windows not operating at all, and a terrible vibration in the transmission while idleing in drive. Although the dealership corrected the electrical problems, I lost my confidence in the car and decided to go Japanese.(Infiniti)
  • tpotpo Posts: 1
    I bought this used car in November 2005. Since then, the engine has shut down three times while idling in traffic. All situations have been when the car is at a slight downhill angle, in slow traffic jam speed for at least 3-5 minutes. The engine shuts off, but the radio and all other functions continue to run. I have to take the key out of the ignition and wait a few seconds in order to restart. I am concerned about this. I know Consumer Reports give Electrical systems a big fat Black dot- I guess this is true. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.
  • A few monthes ago, i got STOP sign many of times.
    However, afterI put break oil, it didnot appear anymore.
    So, go check your break fluid and re-fill it. It is just $2. I think it is going to be solved.
  • Hello, everyone. I would like to ask you guys about warranty for my car. I bought a passat 18.T (2003).
    My warranty is going to be finished soon. Would it be better for me to buy a new warranty or not? I am still thinking about it. Please let me know.
  • did you manage to find a repair diagram for the wiper assembly as posted on 08 sep as i need to fit a new front wiper motor
    thnks,redairguitar
  • reidkreidk Posts: 46
    This topic has been discussed before, so you might try a Search.
    Beyond that:
    How much does an Extended Warranty Cost?
    What is the Deductible?
    What does it Actually Cover?
    How LONG does it last? (Years / Mileage)
    Who is providing the warranty? (What Company stands behind it?)
    What is THEIR reputation?
    What is YOUR tendency to "buyers remorse?" (Or, Non-buyers remorse?)
    Does warranty require that work be done only at a dealer?
    Do you have a local dealer whom you trust?

Probably a few other items you could add to the list, but its similar to any other loss control assessment: Probability of Loss + Likely Cost of Loss against Cost of Transferring Risk (ie: The Warranty) mitigated by any reasonable steps you could take to lower Probability and / or Cost (ie: Regular Maintenance; Self-help - you fix it Yourself...)

Good luck in your decision - & please post results so others can learn from your experience....

Reid / SE MI
  • kkeesekkeese Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2000 Passat wagon and am looking for a good repair shop here in atlanta...NOT the dealerships. Any ideas???
  • nippkenippke Posts: 2
    Many thanks for the tip re: brake fluid and STOP warning. Have you had the ABS and traction control lights go on and off a lot?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Since my Passat is under warranty I am still going to the dealer, but I know of a place on PIB (Peachtree Industrial Blvd) that caters to german cars. I think they are called german Motor Works (770-622-2626). I have never used them, but plan to for my 40K service since they are cheaper than the dealer.