Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,739
    I would start with the cheapest thing first - have the tires balanced at a tire shop. If you really need new tires, get all 4 done and they will balance them. If the wobble goes away, great. If not, you may have a bent rim.

Good luck.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    It's could be a problem with one of your front tires. You may have a tire that is "out of round" or one of the steel belts inside the tire may have broken. It's not an uncommon problem and balancing usually will not fix it. I'm guessing with 55,000 miles on your car you've put a new set of tires on recently. Take it back to the dealer who sold you the tires or to another reputable tire dealer. If you are still running the original set it's probably time for some new ones.
  • We met the rep this morning. When you have the hood up the engine is forward in the compartment. Back by the fire wall is a panel covering other items. The cover has vents for air etc. When they removed that panel there was about 5-6 inches of standing water. The brake air intake is there - when we pushed on the brake it sucked the water into the engine. They say what happened was a clog to the water vents due to leaf debris (I have trees!) so its insurance and not warranty. The insurance adjuster will be going there today.

However our normal mechanic has been doing some research for us and has found a 2004 advisory to dealerships warning intake in that region!!! This may be what we need to battle VW.
    I'll let you know. Thanks
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Freaky. I knew about the drain problem (it's been mentioned on these forums and others dedicated to the Passat), but I think this is the first time I've heard of it hydrolocking the engine! Gotta keep this in mind. Good luck with your battle.
  • I have a 98 Wagon 1.8T auto w/ 128K.

1) From reading the discussions, it seems that one of my problems is common: the gasket around the antenna rotted a few years ago and I'm guessing now that my radio gets only really local FM stations and no AM stations it's due to the antenna connection corroding. Dealer wants about 600-700 to fix this. Where can I get parts and a reliable repair in Middlesex county NJ?

2) My ABS and brake lights are on and it looks like its the ABS control module. Is there any more info on if there's a recall on this as it seems to be a common problem?

3) When I shift the car into triptronic mode, it no longer "engages" (the LCD gear display doesn't change and up/down sifts do nothing).. Strangely every now and then under hard accelerations it feels like the cars slips into the next gear (only on down shifts). Any one know if these last two symptoms are related and if you've had a similar repair what did it run. I'm almost affraid to ask the shop as they probably tell me I need a new tranny. :confuse:

Thanks! BTW, great and helpful forum. :D
  • I'm having a huge problem with my 99 Passat. Everything was working really well and I had no real problems until I took it in for it's 90K mile check up. I had my serpentine and timing belts replaced and a cam valve replaced and they thought it was all fixed but the MIL light came on. When they ran the computer check I had 3 misfiring pistons #3-5 and while the car drives okay (feel vibrations in engine when driving) the MIL light keeps going on an off and they say that the "engine is shot". It's about 11K to fix (not going too). But when I tell my friends the longer story they're convinced there's something fishy going on...
  • tfrzbtfrzb Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Passat, I've had my ups and downs with this car, my 3 VW, I've had a hard time opening my trunk since we got this car, I asked the dealer to check it during maintenance once and they said that it was normal. It feels like the pistons are not doing anything. Should the trunk open easily? It's out of warranty now.
  • audreymaudreym Posts: 103
    We have an 03 as well, and on one of our normal maintenance intervals, we asked them to re-lube the trunk b/c it was stiff. Turns out they replaced the pistons, so this may be a common thing.
  • Anybody there knows of a good "added protection" off-market Floor Mats and Cargo Mat/Liner for 2006 Passat 20T? Please advise. Thanks.
    I'd see if Weathertech has floor mats and a liner for the '06 yet. I have one of their liners in my '03 and I love it.

I'm going to replace my front VW Monster mats with Weathertechs, as the old style Monster mats developed some cracks and they are not protecting the carpet on the driver's side.
  • jefferygjefferyg Posts: 418
    I checked Weathertech this morning after reading the earlier post. No mats for 06 Passat yet.
  • Hi, I'm looking at a 95 passat. The owner told me that after 10 minutes of running it overheats. He said the thermostat needs to be replaced, but another friend told me there could be trouble with the head gasket. Any opinions???
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Don't buy this car!!
    I agree with fish8...pass on it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    run like hell. FAST overheat like that is almost always a head gasket or cracked head. The engine is boiling tea water.

• brentrbrentr Posts: 1
    Recently had to replace mass air flow sensor etc. on my 2000 Passat at 70K miles. Additionally, my mechanic indicates the secondary air pump is on the way out. They are apparently located at a place (by design flaw from VW) where they fill with rain water from the road. He was able to dry my pump out and get it working but it will not last long. BMW has redesigned the pump on new cars locating it further up and enclosing it to avoid water problems. Needless to say, before mine completely fails, I will be contacting VW and asking for assistance in replacing the part. HAS ANYONE else had the same problem and had a mechanic tell them the same thing? Interestingly, when I went to order a new air pump, none could be had unless refurbished because the demand is so great. Thanks
  • dcoverdcover Posts: 7
    Just bought a 2004 Passat, and I don't like the automatically locking doors. Does anyone know how to disable this feature? Seems every time I pull in the garage, and need to get something out of the back seat, the door is locked. I no longer have little kids that I would worry about opening a door on accident.

I looked through the manual, and it doesn't say a word about the automatic locking feature.

Any ideas?
  • Appreciate your response. Called up Weathertech too and they said it will be available in 6 weeks.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    Regarding automatic locks. My dealer disabled mine for no charge.

Regarding floor mats. A car comes with carpeting. The carpeting is often covered with 4 floor mat carpets. The floor mat carpets are often covered with rubber mats. What's next, clear covers for the rubber mats? :confuse:
    I'm guessing that you don't live in the snow/slush belt of the country. The OEM carpet floor mats that VW provides are...well, in a word, crap. They are very thin and wear out quickly and don't retain much water/snow/slush - so then you've got wet carpets that never really dry out until the warm weather returns. The weathertechs hold the water and allow it to either evaporate with the heat from the ventilation system or allow you to sop it up - I'm in and out of the car a lot in unplowed areas and I'm always tracking in snow, so periodically I use an old towel to dry the mats.

Hey, but to each their own. My carpets look like new even after 10 years of ownership on my past cars.