Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:
    I don't even know the symptoms of a bad CV Boot.

A torn boot will allow the grease to leak out. Usually, most people notice the tear once the see grease staining the wheel rim or notice the grease thrown around the wheelwell liner. Sometimes you can save the joint by just repacking the joint with grease and replacing the boot.

If that escapes your notice, you'll eventually notice a clicking sound will develop in the affected CV joint. That's a sign that the grease has leaked out and contaminants have gotten into the joint, which ruins it. The half shaft usually gets replaced at that point.
  • sxytaz808sxytaz808 Posts: 4
    i have a 2001 passat with 48,000. we noticed a cracking noise whenever we turn right. my husband checked it out and thought it was just the cv boot broken. when we went to the get the part we were told that if it makes that noise the we have to replace the whole cv joint/shaft. i live in fort drum, ny. there's only 1 vw dealership n they dont have the part. we bought it at carquest and come to find out bolt pattern didnt match with our car. we just ended up paying for the labor n had the old one put back in. right now we have no choice but to just take a risk and drive our car. would this make it worst? is there another alternative. its hard to find parts in this small town we live in.....
    A VW dealer and they can't get the part for your vehicle? :confuse: That, in and of itself, is troubling. Anyway....

Once the joint is damaged and clicking, you've got to replace it.

If I understand you correctly, you've reinstalled the original CV joint, the one that was clicking. The problem is that eventually the joint will fail (and probably at the most inconvenient time and place). Not only is it inconvenient, it's dangerous, as well, since that effectively removes all power from one drive wheel. You can get a replacement axle from:

http://www.raxles.com/

I've read on other forums that people have had great success with their products (I have been lucky enough not to need one yet, so I can't give a personal recommendation). Worth looking into it...
  • sxytaz808sxytaz808 Posts: 4
    yup our only VW dealer didnt have the part the day that we were there so we didnt have a choice but put the old one in. thanks for the website, i'll have my husband check it out...
    The thing about Raxles.com is that they use a new joint on their half shafts. In the past, I've used rebuilt shafts that were sloppy right after they were put on the car. I think there was too much play left in the joint. I think these would be good.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Posts: 90
    Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like there's no firm basis to call and gripe at VW customer service. It could be related to front wheel drive, as all my prior vehicles before the Passats were rear wheel drive.
  • brenda_modbrenda_mod Posts: 1
    hi all,
    i'm looking into buyong a 2000 vw passat wagon. it's a gls , 4-cylinder, 1.8 liter. it has around 69,000 miles on it. it has had one owner. she's real pretty, but i've been reading some major horror stories about the passat and passat wagon.
    any advice?
    many thanks,
    brenda
  • tapp3tapp3 Posts: 12
    Hey altair4, just after my last post, I took my 02 Passat to a VW Mec here in town. I just wanted a good once over and see if there was any minor or major he could foresee.
    And guess what the first thing he saw was???? I had the broken CV boot. He order the replacements for $15 for the pair. He did tel me that this could have been a very expensive had it gone very long without repair. I did have to have the cabin filter and air filter changed. And I went ahead and had him change the oil making sure he used the correct oil. After checking where the car's oil was last changed I found out that they did not use the right type of oil. He also changed the brake fluid and reminded me that it needs to be changed every two years. So this visit has ended up costing at least $500. I hope that it has saved me the BIG $$$$ down the road.
    Hey, Vicki...

Spending $500 to get the car into shape isn't that uncommon on a pre-owned car. Can you break out the costs? I'm curious how much the boot replacement and the oil change cost (if you don't mind sharing).

Hope it all works out well. Save all of your receipts for this car, especially the oil changes.
  • I hope someone can HELP....Yesterday the power door locks and the sun roof, dome light, trunk switch, gas door won`t open, the Multifnction Indicator on dash stopped working, Odometer resets itself every time you start the car, The trunk open light stays on, Alarm don`t work and clock don`t work. Is this all related to one relay? I can`t find the relays or fuses. none under the drivers side panal have any of the above indicated. Where in the car are they located?
    Can some one help me?
    I'm only guessing here, but my first guess would be the Comfort Control Module located under the carpeting. Can't remember if it's on the driver's side or passenger side. I'm guessing you have a water intrusion problem and your CCM is shorting. Others may have more valid suggestions.

The fuse and relay block are located behind the plastic panel on the driver's end of the dashboard - it's only visible when the driver's door is open.
  • tapp3tapp3 Posts: 12
    Sure I'd be happy to share. The breakdown of the cost goes like this. OIL $32.50, FILTER 8.50, AIR FILTER 22.18,CABIN FILTER 18.95, AXLE CLAMPS (2) 8.00 GREASED AXLES (2) 17.98, BRAKE FLUID (EMPTY & RENEW)12.00,REATTACHED THE BELLY PAN 31.32. FOR A TOTAL OF $151.43 PARTS AND $276 FOR LABOR. I feel as if it was a good investment. At least now I know the computer systems check over was great. I would never have known about the axle boots, which would have cost me a ton in the long run. And then the peace of mind just knowing that the oil filter and the air filters are new is great. I would neber have had the oil checked if I hadn't checked out this website and read your post altair4! :) So to you I owe a homemade banana pudding! (Blue Ribbon Prize winning I minght add!) Thanks again for all your tips and help! Keep up the good work!
  • haley821haley821 Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2006 Passat a couple of months ago. This morning, the engine started shaking. I turned off the car, waited a few minutes, and restarted. The same thing happened...something in the engine is causing the car to shake. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the problem?
  • hawghawg Posts: 4
    My '03 Passat sedan with a 1.8 T engine surged all the way up to 7000 RPM. I shut it off, and on my first attempt to restart it began to race again; on the second attempt, it ran normally. I drove home (about 1.5 km), experiencing several surges which I controlled by judicious use of the brakes - otherwise I would have rear-ended cars several times. No warning light ever did show, even while it was in the midst of the high rev. events. I had it towed to the nearestt dealership; the Service Manager has never heard of such a problem. Anyone with a similar experience?
  • What if it's not the coils . I'm working on one that has no signal to the #2 coil ! changed it 2x and no spark checked the puls to the coil got nothing any clues?
  • OK so i checked the cute coils on top of the head and there all good ! what i found is there is no signal to the #2 coil ! What are some causes (if any ) so i can track this problem Signed Tech without a direction!
  • missyv1302missyv1302 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 Passat with 40,000 miles on it. I noticed recently that it is making a clicking noise, it seems to be coming from the dashboard on the drivers side. I don't believe it has anything to do with the dashboard since it is a distinct clicking rather than rattling. It seems only to do it when you are accelerating and then stops.

Anyone have any ideas on what it might be or have had the same problem??
  • robb555robb555 Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2001 Passat V6Auto with 70,000 miles, Yesterday she took it a local shop for an oil change, the shop called me at work and said the right CV boot had a hole in it and the joint needed to be replaced ($325)because they could hear a little clicking. I told them to not to do it and I would talk to her and get back to them. The car had been serviced at the VW dealer at 65,000 which was only 2 1/2 months ago and they had said nothing, When I got home today I took a look to see what the damage was and when I looked at the boot it is tore all the way around and looks to my like it could have been cut. I need to know if is common for the outer CV booth on this car to be damaged in this manner. I can understand a hole or tear but am not sure if it should go all the way around the boot since the damage is in one of the valleys maybe once it starts the damage just follows the seam, I don’t know. The other side looks fine. Thanks Rob
  • robb555robb555 Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2001 Passat V6Auto with 70,000 miles, Yesterday she took it a local shop for an oil change, the shop called me at work and said the right CV boot had a hole in it and the joint needed to be replaced ($325)because they could hear a little clicking. I told them to not to do it and I would talk to her and get back to them. The car had been serviced at the VW dealer at 65,000 which was only 2 1/2 months ago and they had said nothing, When
    I got home today I took a look to see what the damage was and when I looked at the boot it is tore all the way around and looks to my like it could have been cut. I need to know if is common for the outer CV booth on this car to be damaged in this manner. I can understand a hole or tear but am not sure if it should go all the way around the boot since the damage is in one of the valleys maybe once it starts the damage just follows the seam, I don’t know. The other side looks fine. Thanks Rob
  • fgiorgiafgiorgia Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am quite happy with my 2002 1.8 T manual Passat. The car has about 49,000 mi and so far no serious issues to spedak of. However, in the past year or so I have noticed that the car does not start when I turn the key, nothing at all happens. After three or four attempts the engine starts. I had it inspected by a VW dealership and I was told that the technician could not "reproduce the problem", although it happens 9 out of 10 times when I start the engine.

I am wondering if anyone on this board had experienced this problem and if so what is due to.

Thank you for any advices.