Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jmac74jmac74 Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 Grand Prix GTP and it caught fire while i was driving it. I responded to a couple other messages and we all should get together on this.
  • gmfan007gmfan007 Posts: 77
    Sorry, can't help you. Our '98 GT sunroof has worked flawlessly since we bought the car new. The dark tinted sunroof glass should protect the inner panel. Any chance the sunroof is an aftermarket add on or the glass has been replaced with lighter tint?
  • laynelayne Posts: 4
    The exact same thing happened to us, 15 minutes after driving into our garage, car ignited itself under the hood and was engulfed in flames and smoke by the time we found it. Luckily this happened at 10pm at night, and we were still awake, I don't want to think of the outcome had it happened at 3am, our house and possibly our family would have been lost. Our insurance investigators and engineers found point of origin of fire and concluded it IS a GM manufacturer error. They are pursuing GM for the settlement they paid us. It's terrible they are not recalling these. Mine was 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix, GTP, which until that night, I had loved.
    Never another GM car ever.
    Good luck,
    Layne
  • laynelayne Posts: 4
    We lost our 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP in a car fire in our garage in December. Got home from town, and parked it in the garage, and within 15 minutes we smelled awful smoke, ran out there and the garage was completely engulfed in flames, and the car. There was no warning or anything. Up until that time, I had loved that car. We only had 81k miles on it. Our insurance engineer found point of origin of fire and they concluded that it is indeed a GM mfg. error. They are going after GM to get back what they paid us in settlement. It's terrible to wonder what would have happened had the fire started in our garage at 3am, instead of at 10:pm at night. Thank goodness we were awake to fight it and call 911.
    I just cannot believe there is and was no recall.
  • chats1chats1 Posts: 158
    I too had a 1999 Grand Prix GTP which my nephew bought from me when I purchased my 2002 GTP (I now have a 2006 GXP). Anyway a few months ago, my nephew left the 1999 GTP for an oil change and then went across the street to his office. Five minutes later he received a call that the GTP was on fire. The fire dept. had to put out the fire. The fire was indeed in the engine. It had to be cut out and the fire destroyed everything up to and including the new windshield. He had a new Infiniti so he was okay for traveling to work, but didn't want to use the new car for work -- just the GTP for work. He received a settlement from the insurance company for the amount the car would be selling for from the dealer in his area in NJ. He then bought a used Laredo for work. I have read so many stories about these fires. I have had five Pontiacs -- three GTP's. The 1999 was the only fire. This is very scary.
  • jmac74jmac74 Posts: 10
    If anyone who has had a Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am catch on fire and wants to organize a lawsuit with me, give me an email. You can get my email address wherever you see jmac74. I am serious about this, GM needs to stop the problem before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I was lucky enough to get out of the car before anything happened to me. I think that was a sign for me to help stop the problem.
  • I have a 1999 GT and have recently had the infamous "intake leak" problem and have fixed it myself. Now I have a new problem, the car won't fire. I have triple checked the plug wire placement and all the other wire plug-ins and they are fine. The engine will turn over, but it won't fire, once in a while I get a soft putter, but no real indication it is going to start. Is there procedures that need to be done to the fuel system (re-pressurize or bleed air) after it has been taken apart? I am really frustrated with this and can use some help.
  • compg05compg05 Posts: 1
    I have had a constant rattle of the surround ring of the sunroof on my 05 Comp G. I brought it to the dealer and they ordered a new one. They will install next Monday. Hopefully this will fix the problem. It's not "normal". That's their brush off. Go back. i did.
  • bford_2bford_2 Posts: 1
    Recently my dashboard has started beeping whenever I drive over a bump or a pothole. It's the same beeping noise that lets you know a seatbelt is unbuckled, door ajar, etc. But, no message displays in the driver information center. The last time my dashboard started beeping randomly, it turned out that I needed a new fuel pump. Does anyone know what is going on?
  • wayameanwayamean Posts: 1
    I am having hesitation problems with my 2000 grandprix GT
    when excellerating at about 10% throttle i get hesitation any where from 50km to 100km/hour. It does this between 2000 and 2400 rpm when it get's to 2400 it drops to 2200 even with the same amount of gas (foot has'nt moved). I have run fuel injection cleaner thruogh it as well as changed the fuel filter. I have taken it to the dealer(I have a friend that works there) we took it to for a long test drive with there scanner and nothing came up no codes at all.

any body have a solution to this problem?

thank in advance
  • foxy3foxy3 Posts: 3
    Try this, it worked for my 1998 Sunfire and a 1975 Monte Carlo.
    Press & hold the 2 & 3 buttons @ the same time for about 10 seconds; a 2 or 3 digit code will appear, write this # down,press & hold the am/fm button for about 10 seconds: another code will appear, write this # down, then call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again. Enter this # into your radio following the instructions in your owners manual. If you get an override code that starts with 0, you drop the 0 when entering the code into your radio.
    If you don't have an owners manual, try this, press & hold the hour button until the first 2 digits of your code come up, then press & hold the minute button until the last 2 digits show. Then press the am/fm button. This should reset your stereo. It did mine.
    Hope you find this helpful. :shades:
  • foxy3foxy3 Posts: 3
    Try this, it worked for my 1998 Sunfire and a 1975 Monte Carlo.
    Press & hold the 2 & 3 buttons @ the same time for about 10 seconds; a 2 or 3 digit code will appear, write this # down,press & hold the am/fm button for about 10 seconds: another code will appear, write this # down, then call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again. Enter this # into your radio following the instructions in your owners manual. If you get an override code that starts with 0, you drop the 0 when entering the code into your radio.
    If you don't have an owners manual, try this, press & hold the hour button until the first 2 digits of your code come up, then press & hold the minute button until the last 2 digits show. Then press the am/fm button. This should reset your stereo. It did mine.
    Hope you find this helpful. :shades:
  • rectreyrectrey Posts: 1
    CHECK YOUR SUPERCHARGER OIL LEVEL WITH A 3/16 ALLEN WRENCH SUPER CHARGER WILL RATTLE IF LOW
  • When my car is running my sunroof will open by itself.Sometimes it wont do it for days and other times it will do it constantly. Sometimes you won't be able to close it unless the car is turned off and let set for a few minutes and then restarted.
  • bush1bush1 Posts: 1
    My GT will not run. first it started lossing power then it stoped completly. I've changed the spark plugs, coil packs, crank shaft posistion senor,wires, fuel filter fuel relay, fuel pressure regulator. what else can i do to make it run... Please help ... thanks in advanced
  • hello4hello4 Posts: 2
    my grandprix has 7000km Ive been to the dealer ship about 5 times and they don't know where the problem is.When i'm at stop sign and let go of the brake it hesitates before i hit the gas.When i stop and going up small incline and hit the gas it starts to gerk till i pick up some speed.
    Went to different dealer ship they called gm and they said there is no fix right now . any help please
  • hello4:

My 2005 GP has the shake problem you're talking about. It doesn't hesitate, it just shakes when moving from a stop. The dealer checked it out and the tech. told me that something was definately wrong. The tech made a suggestion to GM for a possible fix, and the GM technical advisors said the problem was within tolerable limits. My car had this problem from day one. I think GM should take these vehicles back if they can't fix the problem.
  • hello4hello4 Posts: 2
    last week my wife called GM and we told them of are problem she told us to go back to the dealer ship, and to talk to the service manger.I went to the dealer ship we went for a ride same problem. I stoped right before a sped bump and hit the gas the car started to shake when I started to climb got to the top let go of the gas started to roll back and it was shaken really bad. We toke another 2005 GP out went to the same spots and no problems.We are now waiting for service rep.
  • ijonesijones Posts: 2
    I had the same issue and i found that there was a wire on the fuel pump horness that was exposed and burned. Have someone take the fuel pump out and check the entire horness that plugs into the fuel pump. I bet you will find your issue. Don't replace the PCM, no need to. Check wiring to the fuel pump.

Let me know
  • Just happened to me last night. I somehow was able to grab a fire extinguisher and put out the fire before much damage was done. Until recall or something happens, I suggest posting if anyone is to drive this vehicle carry an ABC fire extinguisher!
  • bumbleeebumbleee Posts: 1
    I JUST BOUGHT MY SECOND GRAND PRIX TWO MONTHS AGO
    AND IT'S MY PRIDE AND JOY, OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT
    I'VE JUST RAN INTO A WATER LEAK IN THE BACK PASSENGER
    FLOOR AND ALONG THE INSIDE DOOR RAILING. I'VE CHECKED
    AND DOUBLE CHECKED FOR VISUAL WATER SPOT'S AND HAVE
    NOT FOUND ANY. MY GUESS IS THE WATER IS RUNNING DOWN INTO THE DOOR PANEL. MY QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP IS, WHAT CAUSES THIS AND HOW DO I REPAIR THE PROBLEM?. THE CAR IS NOT UNDER WARRENTY AND I'D RATHER NOT PAY A DEALER. CAN YOU SUGGEST WHAT PART'S ARE NEEDED?.
    THANKYOU
  • anndjanndj Posts: 3
    Hi Jmac74,

I would be interested in your class action suit. I listed my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP fire on 11/12/05 #492. I called a lawyer, but he said he was not the right kind of lawyer for this kind of suit, and it would be very costly to sue GM. It would cost more than the car was worth. I did report the fire to GM's Allogations Dept., who in turn forwarded my complaint to ESIS (an investigation/research company). I sent ESIS all the pictures, repair orders, etc., but have not received anything in response from GM.
  • aspgp302aspgp302 Posts: 2
    A couple weeks ago, my passenger's side window wouldn't roll down wether tried from passenger's side or driver's side, then one day it magically switched and the driver's side window would not roll down, but the passenger's side worked again. This is how it remained up through this morning. This afternoon, I got in and went to roll down the window and now neither window will roll down. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • aspgp302aspgp302 Posts: 2
    And now, the passenger's side is working again and I didn't do anything but turn the car off and let it sit for a couple hours and then started it up again. Please, if you have any idea what my problem could be...let me know
  • I am having the same problem with my 97 grand prix. have you fixed the shifter? how did you fix it?
  • i have a 97 grand prix that is doing the same thing. i was going to replace the windshield but i wanted to make sure that would fix the problem before i went and did it.
  • I have a 97 grand prix. I got my car used at 98k i have had it for just over 3 years and have had nothing but problems. it now has 140k My current problems are that the passenger floor board gets wet when it rains. its not just a little water either. then i notice my radio, sub, and amp all go out sometimes. i unplugged my car charger and that seemed to fix it for about 2 days. then i was at a atm and put my car in park and couldn't get it out of park. i had to use the shifter lock release. i dont know what would cause this, any suggestions?
    Then I have this clumpy clay looking stuff in the radiator. i was told that something was probably put in the car to stop the radiator from leaking. i have tried to flush it out but it hasn't helped. :cry: HELP PLEASE.
  • I have a 2000 GT, I noticed when I was driving about 60 to 70 mph my RPM gauge was at 3000 to 3500 RPM's. Does this seem kind of high to anyone? Thanks
  • shizwakshizwak Posts: 1
    2000 gtp. there is no power going to the fuel pump. the fuses are all good, and the relays are getting voltage, but nothing turns them on. also the fuel reads FULL and theres 1/4 tank in there.HELP!
  • I have a 99 Grand Prix GT...I just went to change the air filter and all was fine until I tried to put the cover back on. There's a thing sticking out at the bottom so I can't put it on all the way. I can't put it between an of the grooves because it's just there. What's up with that? Can somebody tell me how to get the thing on the right way? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.