Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Yes,my wifes 99 GP (bought new)has done this several times
    since we've had it. No explanation for it.
    Engine just dies and then restarts right away.
  • :confuse: wining noise-I have the same problem with my 2001 gt it wines when I make left turns at first I really had to cut the wheel hard at a good speed but now it does it on slight wheel movements at any speed. It is getting worse. I don't know if it is the power steering ,rack & pinoin or the differential. I would hate to replace all the above and find out it is an axle or somthing like that.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    A common cause of intermittent stall or no start is the crankshaft position sensor. Difficult diagnose when it's not acting up, though.
  • I have a 99 Grand Prix. Daughter was driving it this past friday, she told me it was acting up on her on way to work, didn't have alot of power. She took it in for an oil change, the guy told her to tell me to also add some coolant. She said the car ran great on way home but no heat. I went out and checked it and saw that the temperature was up on it, temp light was on. I took my other car and went and got dexcool for it. I came home added it to the reservoir, took it for a drive. It ran great, had heat but then it started getting alittle sluggish and temperature started rising. Took it home, got out my manual, let the car cool and then added coolant directly to radiator. I went to start it and it won't start. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • Thanks!! It died again the next day and this time I noticed that it hesitated when I accelerated and then died. Would not restart right away but after five minutes started right up. Felt like fuel starvation. I drove it straight to the dealer (there is a 30 day warranty on the drive train) and told him that I suspected the fuel pump or crank sensor.

It's a beautiful car and in almost perfect condition so I would love to keep it. Really it is for my 18yo son. He is in love with it.
  • alphyalphy Posts: 3
    I just signed up for this forum also...while doing research on the SAME situation happening to me this past weekend! I own a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with 112,000 miles. I've owned the car since 2001 without major problems, and have upkept the car well. It was running fine, without any problems. This last weekend, while my girlfriend and I were having dinner at a restaurant downtown, the car caught on fire in the parking garage! I did not know what happened until I returned to the garage to find my car missing. When I called the police, they informed me of the fire and said it was under investigation. The fire investigator notified me a few days later, that he (and 3 other investigators) could not determine exactly what caused the fire, but that it was some sort of malfunction in the engine compartment.

I still am in shock at how a perfectly fine car can just catch on fire...when it is parked and not running! I was even more shocked when I decided to research a little, and found out that others have had similar experiences!! This is unbelievable. My situation is in the hands of the insurance company right now...i'm hoping they can provide more insight to the situation. Do any of you that have gone through this have any more info?? Has anyone attempted to contact Pontiac Motor Division or GM?? It seems to me that this is a huge safety concern, and if they have a faulty product or design flaw, someone should address the problem. Luckily in my situation no one was hurt, but the state of the car is awful. I saw it for the first time last night at the impound yard...and the whole front third of the car is destroyed. I'm still in shock... If there are more people out there that this has happened to...please add to the discussion or share any advice (besides not buying a GM product ever again!).
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Let us know the outcome, I'd be interested in what it was.
  • Hi I have recently purchased a pontiac grand prix 2001 eight months ago, recntly the car srarted idling up and down kinda spitting and sputtering, husband changed plugs and wires, changed tranny filter, still doing it, now the abs light and trac off light has come on. Help what do i do? :mad:
  • anndjanndj Posts: 3
    Hello Penny and others,

My 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP also caught on fire this Saturday, 11/12/05 at 2 p.m., while parked in our condo common parking area. We had just gone to the hairdresser and back. The ride was less than 15 minutes to home. The police incident report states that the police and fire depts responded at 2:15 p.m. I was notified by my neighbor's child that my car was on fire at 2:30 p.m. When I ran out to the parking lot, all I could see was about 10 foot flames coming from the front of my car. I didn't even realize the neighbor's Toyota parked to my right was on fire too. It took about a half hour to put them all the way out. On the left of my car was a Honda CR-V. This neighbor was out of town and it was scorched on the passenger's side. All three cars were towed away. I know the owner of the towing company, and asked him what he thought caused the fire. He said it looked electrical to him.

I notified my insurance company right away. They have taken my car to study/investigate the cause, but declared my 2002 Grand Prix GTP is totaled as well as the Toyota. I notified GMAC too. Have you? Anndj
  • alphyalphy Posts: 3
    Hi,

My situation was pretty much the same....we arrived at the parking garage around 10:55 pm...and the Fire Investigator told me the fire call went out at 11:15 pm. I had driven the car maybe 25 minutes, with no evidence of any problems. Is your insurance company going to do a thorough investigation to determine the exact cause? The head investigator told me that he (and 3 other investigators) were unable to pin point the exact component that failed (since there are not automotive engineers...) He just said that the fire was accidental, and definatly caused by a failure of an engine component. I asked my insurance company if they would do an investigation....but they said since there were no recalls from Pontiac, they usually do not since the cost and time for an investigation like that can be high. So, I really don't know what part failed....but I requested a copy of the fire investigation report, and am hoping to get pictures from the insurance company. I have not contacted GMAC or Pontiac Motor Division yet. What did you tell them....who did you contact...and what did they have to say?? I doubt they will do anything...they should at least launch an investigation into a possible defective part or design flaw and fix it before someone gets hurt. I wonder how many people this has happened to. When the fire happened to my car, it made the city news (because it occurred on city property)...I thought about giving them a call with the information about how this has happened to other people with the same model car. Maybe they would do a follow up story about the model car...with a little publicity and the word getting out...then maybe GM would do a better job of figuring out what is causing Grand Prix GTPs to burn up?!
  • Hey guys (and gals), I just happened to stumble upon this web site this afternoon. I have been reading some of the forums on the Grand Prix's and can't believe some of the stuff I've read. I have a 2000 Grand Prix and I've had the same problem(s) with water on the floor of the passenger side and both rear windows needed new regulators (would not go up and down). I don't know whether to be relieved or totally angry. Anyway, to my lastest problem...I got my 60,000 recommended service at my Pontiac dealer, and on my ride home my Grand Prix doesn't want to shift into certain gears. It sort of hesitates and then I have to step on the gas more and then it kinda kicks in. I am furious at this point. :mad: My question is what might the dealer have done during the 60,000 service that would cause this. They list: replacing the fuel & air filter and PCV valve. Clean and adjust IAC valve and throttle bore. Please help! Car problems are the worst! Especially when you can't "trust" your dealer! :mad:
  • hi there ,i have a2001 gtp coupe,special edition,when low on fuel,my car does chime,but once,then the low fuel light comes on,its the same chime that if i opne the drivers door after it was aotomatically locked when put into drive ,it only does chime 1 time,,at times cahnges a made during the model year and some features are changed,modified,usually it goes by s/n of car,next time there is a situation,have car hooked up to dealer ship computer
  • Im with "rocket 98". I am having the wheel bearing hub replaced tomorrow on my 2000 GTP. One has already been replaced, and guess what?, no noise on that side. Have the dealer check it out.
  • My windows, especially the driver's side sounds like something's ready to break when I roll them up. It's not so bad if they're in the "all the way down " position but if they're half way down, ufda!! Thanks for the info. I'll get my husband right on that task. There are many things I've read in this forum that justify half the reason GM is closing many of their doors. They should be reading these forums and maybe they would make a better product.
  • Does anyone have a problem with the heads up display dissappearing? It fades in and out. Could there be a short in the wiring?
  • Are there any grease fittings on the front end of my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. I went to do a lube and couldn't find any. Are they all permanently sealed? Thanks.
  • Hi,

I have a 2001 also and have had the same problem with Trac Lights and ABS Lights. The dealer replaced the ABS sensors and that took care of it. Was under Warranty at the time, so I don't know what it will cost you.
  • I HAVE A 1997 GRAND PRIX, RAN HOT, REPLACED HEAD GASKETS, HEADS WARENT CRACKED, HEADS WERE CHECKED AT A MACHINE SHOP, AND RESURFACED, REPLACED HEADS, NO MORE RUNNING HOT, TEMP STAYS AROUND 190 - 210 DEGREES , THE PROBLEM NOW IS WHEN I REPLACED EVERYTHING , I HAD A TPS/PEDAL POSITION SENSOR A PROBLEM, I REPLACED THE TPS, WONT GO OVER 40 MILES AN HOUR, I REPLACED THE INJECTORS, RAIL AND PRESSURE REGULATOR, STILL NO BETTER, ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Please take your CAPS LOCK off. Most members will not respond to posts written in this way, as they are very hard to read and are often interpretated as "shouting" at another member.

Host

• Check the fuel pressure (fuel pump, filter) Is your air filter OK? Check for a damaged exhaust or plugged cat. Did you have this problem before you replaced everything? Does it roll free ie no hanging e-break. Remember air and fuel in, combustion and exhaust out if any are restricted you will have problems.
    Just a few ideas hope it helps.
This discussion has been closed.