Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Prix: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• clrolandclroland Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Grand Prix with 98,000 miles that is experiencing similar problems. By chance did you figure out what the problem was and how to fix it? Thank you.
  • mmxermmxer Posts: 12
    Update. Replaceing the crank position senson and iginition control module fixed it. $90 parts $225 labor. not an easy fix.
    Ignition control module.. I bet. I had the same problem. My module was WEAK... Would just click. Car would die out on me while driving, but replaceing the crankshaft postion senso fixed that.
  • wattersswatterss Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 grand prix GT, they replaced the upper and lower intakes under warranty on mine
  • lp285lp285 Posts: 2
    I had the same problem a few years back. My dealer charged me $1100.00 bucks and didn't fix it. I took it to a local mechanic and he changed a sensor. It was either a crankcase sensor or a crankshaft sensor but whichever it was it was not very expensive and did the trick
  • lp285lp285 Posts: 2
    Will that Pressure Control Solenoid cause the car to shift hard? My 97 shifts very hard after driving it for about 5 minutes. The only time after that it shift normally is if I'm really on it. I was thinking it was some sort of vacuum leak.
  • mikeb358mikeb358 Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 gprix that has been running good, but today while driving the temperature gauge just bottomed out and stayed there, almost like it quit working, checked fluid levels and appears to be fine but gauge needle will not move off bottom....any ideas.....thanks
  • i have to replace my rear window motors still, but I have already replaced the front. All the windows stopped working within a month of each other. There is definatley a design flaw in the window assembly and they are made of cheap plastic. I have a '98 Gran Prix GTP.
    Scott
  • trucker50trucker50 Posts: 148
    Without perusing all the posts I have a question that hopefully someone may know the answer to. I can't get my ashtray out! Neither my cigarette lighter or aux. outlet on the side of my console work. The lighter was jammed into the socket for some reason and had to be removed with channel locks(pulled the end off). Possibly it welded itself in. I can't get it out of the ashtray OR get the ashtray out. Three of us worked over 2 hours doing everything we could try to get the ashtray out. What are we missing or does it not come out???? I can't imagine it not. I did get the ashtray lighter dis-connected but it still blows fuses as soon as replaced when using the aux. outlet :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • Ok I have read some of the past post bout the cars not running. Mine is similar as well. It will start but if you give any gas it will stall.I can hear the fuel pump come on.Also we check to see if fuel was making it to the engine and it does. We changed the crankshaft sensor no help there, also we changed the spark plugs and wires. The coil packet test out to good. I am gonna try the electronic igination module, air intake sensor. The car computer read out that I need a new MAP sensor as well so that will be getting changed. Ok this sounds like a girl now LOL what is the EGR I am sure I would know what it is when you post.I also have read that other ppl have changed the o2 sensor, idle control valve, egr, and CEL TPS/Pedal Position Sensor. I was wanting to know if those solved the problem of the car not staying running?.Also the cooling systems isn't working, we connected the computer right to them and they worked. Because the fans don't work the car runs hot. I would like to know what I can do to fix that problem as well. Other wise the car ran good until Thursday.
  • bentforkbentfork Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 grand prix 4 door. The rear leaf spring has broken. No parts stores have this part. Anyone have an idea of how to get this part or if it is even available? Has anyone had the same problem? Tires are rubbing the wheel wells and can't carry any loads.
  • gtpjoe99gtpjoe99 Posts: 1
    My 1999 GTP is having a problem starting if it sit's for more than 15 min. it cranks for 4 to 5 seconds before starting. If I shut it off and try to start it before 10 to 15 min it starts right up. If it sit's for a few hours I some times smell what seems like a lacquer paint smell. Took it in to the dealer has no codes ran a pressure test said it had a real slow leak said it could be one or all fuel injectors but would needed to run a fuel rail test for $125.00 more I declined. I checked ohm's on the injectors 5 reads 14.5 one reads 13.8 Thought it may be fuel pump but it starts running then stops (can here it) when I turn the key to the on position continues to run while the car is running. Also thought it may be fuel regulator but it looks like it's crimped to the fuel rail. Is it all one unit regulator and fuel rail Please Help
  • Ok update on car. We changed the map sensor and that didnt work. The next step I am gonna do is check coil pack. And to go back to the cooling systems I was wrong there. Its the fans that cool the engine off, but would be the problem there? We have thought maybe because the fan isnt working it makes the car overheat and thats why it doesn't start until after it cools off. If anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

Thank you,
    Tia
    Maybe the iginition control module? Mine would die out after a bit of driving or just wouldnt start. Replaceing the crankshaft sensor and the iginition control module fixed that. If the fans are not coming on, perhaps a resistor is bad?

I have a 95 grand prix gtp. Had a coil replaced before that, wish the guy would of told me the igination control module module was weak. Could of replaced it at the same time.
    Does your AC fan work or is that not coming on as well?

Any computer error codes ahowing up?
  • We are thinking that it is the electronic igination control module as well. Yes the ac fan works. Yes the there was a code 33, but we checked it with a bobbin pin. LOL. This is how they told us to check it out. The local NAPA said it was the map sensor, but we put a new one on and still the same results. But now we actually have a obd II trouble shooter.
  • I think after all of this I should go and become an auto mechanic instead of a hairstylist or wait have a hair salon and car shop at the same time.Get your hair and oil change at the same time. LOL
  • I changed the map sensor, crankshaft sensor, and put a new coil pack and electronic ignition module. And it works just like a charm. I now have to figure out how to put the back spark plugs or just take it a garage and have them do it.
  • pinion22pinion22 Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem and wish I could figure it out. But I will tell you it's not the fuel pressure regulator, I changed mine along with the fuel filter, and air filter. No help but as far as being all one piece its not. It is going to set you back at least $70.00 thats what mine cost but like I said no help. The bad thing about it is my check engine light is working but not registering a problem therefore they can't run a diagnostic test and find out what's wrong. so if you find the solution please let me know. And I will do the same :sick:
    Alot of work... So it ending up being the module? Yeah replaceing coil pack, might as well since your right there anyways...
  • pbirchpbirch Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 GP SE used. It ran great for about 6 months. All of sudden the speedometer cuts out and starts bouncing up and down, at the same time the transmission cuts in and out.There are times when it works perfectly fine.I find that it runs better on bumpy roads rather than flat surfaces. I had the speed sensor replaced but that did not work.Anyone have any ideas :confuse: :sick:
  • turkeytturkeyt Posts: 19
    3.1 motor. When i start the car it won't stay running. I changed the Mass air flow sens. and map sens. and it did not help. The air filter is new.
    The only way i can get the motor to smooth out and run is to crack the air filter box about a quarter of an inch. As soon as i close it back it starts sputtering and jumps up to about 3000 rpms and then stalls after about 15 seconds. When put on scanner it codes purge valve. Does anyone know what and where the purge valve is and it's purpose. Any info at all would greatly appreciated Thanks D.T.
  • jjpierce3jjpierce3 Posts: 1
    I have had the same problems............Did you get a solution or do you have some advice?
    Thank you for your help.
    JJ Pierce
  • MY CAR WILL NOT MOVE. IT HAS DONE THIS ABOUT 6 TIMES THIS YEAR. IT WILL RUN FINE,THEN WITH NO WARNING YOU GET IN AND THE SECURITY LIGHT ON THE DASH FLASHES AND THE CAR WILL NOT MOVE. AT FIRST I WOULD SIT A FEW HOURS OR OVERNIGHT AND CRANK BACK UP. NOW IT WILL NOT CRANK. I PUT IT IN THE SHOP AND THEY SAID THE CODE SAID I NEEDED A NEW IGNITION,KEY AND EVERYTHING. IJUST SPENT 300 DOLLARS BEFORE I WAS TOLD THIS AND I AM A SINGLE PARENT STRANDED. IM AFRAID IF I GET THE IGNITION INSTALLED WHICH I WAS TOLD WOULD COST ME OVER 400 DOLLARS, I MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM...PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME
  • turkeytturkeyt Posts: 19
    This may sound like it is not important, but check this out. Have you checked the connections on the battery. There are 2 contact discs that touch together on the positive + side of the battery. I was having a problem with my pontiac quiting and the bells would ring, the radio would stop and then the car would start back up and run for awhile and do the same thing again. Take the positive side connections loose and clean them with baking soda. Spray the discs with WD40 and wipe off and install them back and make sure they are tight. What happens is they will get some corrosion in between the discs. They may look fine but they will not make a good contact when you try to start and run your engine. Hope by chance this may help anyone who is having the symtoms described described above. D.T.
  • gkaminskigkaminski Posts: 1
    I can't shift the car into park. It seems as if the shifter can't go any further forward than reverse. I can take the key out while in reverse. the shifter will also lock in this position. I have to use the shifter lock release to get the car out of reverse so I can put it in neutral so the backup lights don't stay on. Any clues?
  • I JUST GOT MY BATTERY REPLACED AND GOT EVERYTHING CLEANED SO I DONT THINK THAT IS THE PROBLEM
  • Hello,
    I am also experiencing this problem too. It started for me on July 2nd. I could not put my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT into park; it was stuck in reverse. I had to put it in neutral and put the emergency brake on. My key was stuck in the ignition. I could not get into the trunk until I got home and used my spare key to open the trunk. I took my car to my usual mechanic. We could make the gear get not go into park. THen it went into park and got stuck there. My mechanic thinks it may be a solenoind that needs replacing. However, the mechanic was unable to replicate it again once it was in the shop on Friday. I picked it up today and am driving it for another 2 days to see if it comes up again. Have you got any further information? I recently had a problem with my key not turning all the way to the position to get the key out of ignition after turning off the engine. That went on for 3 months. I finally had the key lock indicator replaced and that did the trick. But now, the not being able to put the car in park problem has creeped up.
  • Vent air starting to smell rather stale. Mouse is unbalancing the fan. How to block the air intake? How to access the fan? Any use in replacing the heater core when there?
  • 1995 Grand Prix with mouse in squirrel cage fan.......
  • suzyq0000suzyq0000 Posts: 3
    Please help, the ABS light and traction control light are on in my 2000, and it wont read any codes on the computer from the shop. Has anyone experienced this? And what do i do? Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.