Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• I almost went with one of the extended cabs. I sat in one and it was great, it was like sitting in a recliner. And that was so tempting cause I have really long legs. But the thought of paying 21 thousand for a pickup was too much. Anyway, with the tilt wheel, I still have more legroom than with my old truck.
    The deer was with a 30-.06, rifle season started here a couple weeks ago.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    On a sidenote, I'm finally lifting my truck, looks like it'll be done this weekend. Putting 2" Old Man Emu (ARB) coils, nitrogen shocks (N91s), and a long add-a-leaf to the rear, so after that I'll be able to clear 32s with no rubbing.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    If so I got questions.
  • kbtoyskbtoys Posts: 62
    I plan on adding the same lift to my truck. I already add a 1inch body lift and if I add the OME's in front and downey in the rear I should be at about 3.5 inches of lift. I think I should be able to clear 32 no problem. Where did you get you OME stuff at?
    sad: I'm thinking of either putting 32s on when my 31s wear out, or waiting to put a BL on and go with 33s.

kb: 3.5" Should be plenty to clear 32s on 15x8 rims.
    I got OME from fj60.com, Jeff Sharpe (he does not list anything on his site, email him directly)
    If you don't mind. How much did he charge you for the springs and struts? You can e-mail TRDToyota@angelfire.com
    With shipping it came to $320, 881s and N91s
    A lot of stuff was on backorder (strike-related), but it looks like I've lucked out.
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    I run 32's what are your questions...?
    Did you notice any changes at all when you went up a size? Gas mileage, pickup, ability to hold hiway speed, any of that? I want to step up to 32s, but if there is much of a downside, I doubt the extra $$$ will be worth it? What do you think?
  • smgillessmgilles Posts: 252
    I am also supercharged so the increase in tire size was hardly noticeable as far as power is concerned. The same also applies to gas mileage, it did not change at all. If you think about it the stock tires are 265/70/16 and I put on 265/75/16s. I didn't go any wider just taller and I think it handles a lot better with the 32's than it did with the stock 31's. I also put SAWs upfront so that may have something to do with that. I personally don't think there is any downside to running that size tire. I think you would be pleased with the look and the overall performance off-road, especially with a half-way aggressive tire.
  • Today I woke up and was about to hop in the truck to goto work, and found my drivers side door a little ajar. Opened the door to find my dash in pieces, my alpine cd player missing, a 400W amplifier ripped out,my steering column dismantled, and my automatic shifter seriously bent out of shape. Lost just under 1000 bucks in stereo equipment, and about 400-500 dollars in damage. They got through a window I had cracked (I have window vent covers) and somehow used the inside door handle to open the door.

Funny they left the MTX 250W subwoofer amp, and MTX 10" Sub mounted in a pickup box.

Looks like I'll be purchasing a new Edge this week, but like I said earlier, I will weight in all the makes and models out there...
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    that sucks man. I've had my Explorer broken into twice. First time they got the golf clubs, 2nd time it was the CD Deck and subwoofer box. I feel your pain!
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    sorry to hear man. i feel your pain though, as my first ZR2 reg. cab got busted into through a shattered driver side window. i lost a punch 200 rockford amp, two kicker 8's, enclosure, panasonic deck cd player, and most hurtful of all, two cd cases- that's personal. this happened at a government run facility where my wife works which has federal police officers patrolling round the clock.

at least you're getting a new edge. i really miss my ranger. i saw a totally awesome FX4 level II in white lastnight driving. it was probably the coolest stock truck i've ever laid eyes on. the level II's say it below the fx4 moniker.

are you going for 4x4? i think one can be had pretty cheap. you may want an ext. cab, as the extra room is awesome and will pay for itself in the long run. good luck and keep us posted.
  • stereo equipment is a waste - when it's in your car, that is. I wouldn't mind replacing my stock speakers with some high-quality drop-ins and a small amp - just something loud and clear enough to be heard over the road/wind noise when my windows are down. I don't want anything that advertises its presence to thieves.

Coincidentally, I find it ironic that after all the ribbing around here about where I live most of the time, I'm one of the few that haven't experienced a break-in...

Speaking of stereo equipment, any of you guys know anything about the Onkyo HTS-650 home theatre system? I might buy one before X-mas.
    Stang that just blows I have had my truck broken in and after I got it back from the body shop it just did not feel the same. I felt so violated. Sold the truck 3 months later. Also I don't know how you feel about alarms but after that my new truck I had in alarm put in and I know of two times someone has tried to brake in my truck. First time is when it went off and I looked out the window and saw some people jump in there car and drive off. Second time is when I was leaving to go to work in the morning and noticed my door handle. Someone the night before tried to pop my door handle off and from the looks just about had the handle off. I assume the alarm scared them away because it would have only taked about 10 seconds to pop it all the way off. Just some food for thought.

Off the subject I learned something new this week. Toyota made a Hemi in Japan. Now only if the American Toyota's had a Hemi.
    I want to just replace my stock speakers and wanted some input. 3-way or 2-way? Also, how much would I have to spend to get decent improvement over stock speakers. To me the stockers in Tacomas sound pretty good, but everyone I hear of that knows about sound says that Tacos suck as far as factory sound. What do you think man? I want to keep it below $150; could I get decent improvement after only spending that much, or will my ears only notice it if I spend much more? Thanx a bunch man!
  • I replaced the stock 5x7's in my 02 Tacoma when I bought the truck. The stockers are a single paper cone, and I couldn't hear voices very well(I listen to AM mostly). I had Alpine 2-way's installed and kept the stock tweeters connected in the doors. For $150.00, you could replace the front speakers only. When I replaced the rears(about a week later), it didn't make as much difference as the front replacement.
    I don't think there is a big differnce between 2-ways and 3-ways. My advice is got to a place like best buy and listen to the speakers till you find the ones that you think sound good. Then found the model of the ones you think are good and look for them on the internet for them. Also I know some people that will replace the front speakers and use the stock front speakers to replace the rear speakers. The rear speakers have a filter on them which I don't understand why they do.
  • Could be a passive crossover. It filters the input signal into a more preferable frequency for the speakers. (I.E. Small tweaters receive only high's, and larger speakers receive the lows) Crossovers are needed when the same channel from the stereo drives very different types of speakers. 3-way vs 2-way is just two ways to skin a cat. Overall 3-ways would produce a more even sound through the frequency spectrum. The extra way is just another element in the speaker for production of a different range of frequencies. But a good quality 2-way can still out perform a moderate 3-way.

Best way to start is to figure out the peak # of watts per channel your current radio puts out. Stock radios are generally pretty weak, and even new speakers won't operate to their fullest. Plan on speakers that exceed this rating (but not by much). Find out the dimensions of the speakers you have now, and then you have a list. The optimal way is to get an aftermarket head unit (stereo) with RCA outputs (4 channels + 2 for subwoofer if applicable). Run RCA cables to an amplifier (2 if adding a subwoofer) and have the amplifier drive the speakers. Then you have to be sure that the speakers can take the amplifier power per channel. Typically 40-50 watts is better than factory, 80-100 watts is REALLY loud. But again wattage rating still doesn't equal sound quality.

You should also consider upgrading speaker wires as well. Stock wires are typically high resistance, with little or no shielding.
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    I recommend going to crutchfield and looking at what they have. I bought a pair of JBL 2 way 6.5" drivers and a set of 6.5" component drivers for my Ram and I paid $160 for the package it came with the wiring harness for my truck, the adapter plates to mount the speakers and instructions for installation including removing the door panels. I ordered them on a monday and had them in my fat little hand on thursday and I live in Alaska. The only thing I would do different is get the bass blockers, they are a high pass crossover that filters out frequncies below 100Hz. Anything under 100Hz should be sent to a subwoofer for accurate reproduction.
This discussion has been closed.