Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    So what you are saying is that the lucky people who buy a 2003 Toyota 4 runner are helping the Toyota research and development team by performing the testing required before the new 4.0l engine goes in the Tacoma? I am sure there is going to be some pissed off 4 runner owners next year if this is the case.
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    "The Viper's V10 especially is a real dog when you consider its HP to displacement ratio."

At >500hp and >500lb-ft of torque I think the power/displacement ratio is a mute point. What really matters is the fact that unless someone pulls up next to you with a Ferrari they will see nothing but tail lights from you.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    pluto brags about--"research, development, and testing".

im beginning to think he's a comedian.

this site about sums up what we all know, and what toyota is really about. these people really "got the feeling". the vehicles do "look" good though.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_safety.html

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    are considering buying a Tacoma, tbunder? Get off it. You have the maturity I had when I was 5. "OO OO, I think I might get a Tacoma or something with coilover suspensiong cuz its cool [after a Tacoma owner made me recognize that fact]".
  • kbtoyskbtoys Posts: 62
    You crack me up when you post links that have problems with toyota when the same site has even more problems with fords. The site had 3 airbag complaints for toyota vs the 17 airbag complaints that ford has.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_airbags.html

I was just kidding with that last one. We are all immature here!
  • Any update on your mustang?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    "the tsb's on the jeep- these are for very early built liberty's. i haven't experienced any of these problems. just one bad fuel pump."

Well, lets put it this way: I have not experienced a single problem as described by you. Seatbelt problem (This is a second time I ask...what is it? Is it that seatbelt TSB from 2001 that you automatically made up into a problem, while it was some sort of improvement to a model working perfectly fine?), drivetrain (what problem? As far as I'm concerned, it's Ranger that's having drivetrain problems with driveshaft replacements....and in some cases, 2 of them) axle wrap (which I take for normal), rattling dash (I'll believe that some people experience it. Again, my Taco does not have it), leaky interior (can you say Ford Ranger? Once again, I don't have any of those problems).....those are all problems experienced by some people. Some are valid problems like 2001 fenders: yes, there was a guy who posted it about 2002 Tacoma, but that's by far the only 2002 owner. Some problems are made up by you to make you feel good.

All the links you post about Liberty being built on lines with Benz standards: so......why is it that early Liberties are so bad? Did DC just adopt Benz practices in the middle of a production? Seeing how a story describes line halts in case of any problems, it sure makes me wonder how all those problems got through.
    The way I see it, Jeep did this: "Release first, finish later, let our customers be our beta customers", which is something I think Ford has as an internal motto.

And yes, I almost bought an Isuzu Amigo. I could not find one in a combination I wanted. I really wanted something fast and fun to drive, but after not finding anything in a small SUV market I turned to trucks.
    now that Jeep sells them with 17" chrome wheels.
    Can anyone say "poozer"?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    mean nothing IMO. Recalls, however, do. 19 for the Ranger in the past 6 years, 3 for the Taco. you do the math...
  • see why anybody would want a Jeep Liberty. It's a cheap spin-off/imitation of the Kia Sportage with a few shiny accessories like 17" wheels. I guess they put those wheels on there because it attracts posers. Who would want a puny 3.7 liter V6 when the competition now has a huge 4.0 in comparison?? ESPECIALLY an inferior 90 degree V6 with a power-robbing counter rotating balance shaft. We all know a 90 degree V6 is just cost-cutting done by Jeep so they can make their small V6 on the same assembly line as their V8s. How stupid and cheap is that? Plus, Jeep's V6 is an ancient SOHC engine, not the much better DOHC design. Oh yeah, gotta love that Benz quality too. Like the drain tube leaking water into the interior. I mean, what is this, a brand new Jeep or an ancient rusted out VW Bug that leaks water? I got to hand it to Jeep, though. The Liberty is brand new and it already has 26 TSBs. That has to be a new record or something! Have you seen the rear pumpkin on that Liberty? It's, like, at least 4 inches smaller than a Tacoma's! The only reason why a Liberty has some ground clearance (which is pitifully low to begin with) is because there's no rear pumpkin in the way! And the rear door looks like it would dent if you looked at it funny. My Tacoma weighs 600lbs more than a Liberty because they used a TRUCK frame and real sheet metal! Take that Liberty on a trail, and it will twist up like a wound rubber band. So much for your Benz quality. Brand new Jeep and the fuel pump already went bad. What would have happened if you were stranded, LOL. See, buy a Tacoma and you'll never have to worry about it. We all know the Liberty isn't a REAL Jeep. That 73cjdude guy really busted your chops and told you like it is. New Jeeps suck, plain and simple. What you got is a Ken & Barbie Jeep with all the foo-foo. Drive over here and and I will challenge you - see if you can keep up with my trick TRD with its 31" tires and locker! Ha! You and your Liberty will eat my exhaust and go home ashamed! At least you will go back looking cool with your shiny 17" poser wheels, though LMAO!!! Looks like the all-knowing saddaddy and scorpio laid down the law on you, bud! Don't you ever learn? BTW, I like the grill on your jeep. It looks like a 1950s pipe heater! Let me know when you are ready to take on my super-trick TRD!
  • If you don't like the Jeep Liberty, fine, but please chill out, or maybe you shouldn't post at 1 in the morning. I am glad the rest of the Toyota guys are not so vagrantly angry.

I believe you need to re check the first post in this forum, and especially pay attention to #3 and #4. The Rules for a civilized discussion
  • I'm surprised you take offense to my "tbundyish" post above. Such postings don't seem to offend you when they're made by you-know-who against Tacomas.

Please don't attempt to assume the duties of a moderator here. We need an impartial and unbiased one for that.
  • Offense no, boredom yes.

If you keep dragging out the same old information, the same debates covered before, why bother even posting? Your first iteration should have been sufficient. By continuing the same rhetoric, your posted information is likened to spam. Even if you are just trying to stir up trouble, what's the point to trying to look good on a computer bulletin board? Not really a grand place to define your status quotient, if you ask me.

In short, move on to a new subject. Nobody cares what you think about the liberty's V6 being in 90 degree configuration, or 26 TSB's as a measure of anything. Are you sure your posts are only making valid points, and not trying to self serve or ridicule?

I also noticed you seemed to have ignored responses to you, in posts #31 through 34...
  • What a pantload you are Plutonius with your trick TRD - 31 inchers and your locker - whooo hoo - go ahead and challenge me with my 17" posing chrome wheels and stock Liberty. Yawn. Go enjoy your 31"ers - which is clearly nothing but a substitute for length missing elsewhere. But respect the choices that others make. I for one don't give a rats axx about the size of my truck's pumpkin - what I care about is that I can get 2 fullsize carseats in the back and still have room the both diaper bags. Try THAT with your TRD!
    No need to get all pissed off and start posting personal insults about "compensation".

Lib is an SUV. Tacoma Xtracab is a truck. Imagine if Liberty was made without second row of seats, what then? It'd be a big flop. Xtracab is made with no second row of seats for a reason. For people who want a good capable compact pickup with 2 full rows of seats, there's Tacoma DoubleCab.
    As for "try THAT with your TRD": try loading up some lumber/dirt/rocks into your Liberty. It won't work very well.
  • h0udinih0udini Posts: 118
    I need you to direct your attention to post #1532 in the previous Tacoma vs. Ranger board at tbunder1 "Toyota Tacoma vs. Ford Ranger, Part XII" Sep 9, 2002 3:26pm
    You posted copyright materials in said post.

I suggest you remove that post ASAP.

Let's all take a deep breath, stand back and watch the "all-knowing" midnight_stang redirect his copyright babble upon himself.
  • Houdini and pluto, are you here to talk about trucks, or what?

The only thing restricted on that site is the guys name of the board. ("®") which I did not copy. Instead of just saying, here's a picture midnight_stang used in a post once, why not show us all the proof that the author of the site does not allow it?

But the site Pluto/Houdini used has a policy, and it is quite strict:

http://autozine.kyul.net/Comment.htm

Finally, I am not a self appointed moderator, but I am trying to keep the peace. I have never received a repremand of any sort for any of my actions here at Edmunds. However I do see that some people here have intentions to provoke, belittle, and humiliate others, and my attempts are to prevent that from reoccuring.

• If what you are saying is true about the copyrights on that site, why then did you delete your post? I just went to your post #1532 and it doesn't exist anymore.

Of course, we both know you have a history of selectively deleting posts that go against Town Hall agreements, don't we?

Actions speak louder than words.
  • One of the moderators must have deleted it, because I did not. They don't have time to go through each site and find the legal memorandums involved, so all were deleted, even saddaddy's pictures he posted too are gone. Even your post that started all this is gone. Of mine, one of a crew cab ranger for sale over seas, another of the headrests found in ford bucket seats, and the third of a fictional 3 axle Ranger, are all gone.

Kinda funny how Houdini asks a question, I respond, and then you respond to me.

Now are you ready to talk about trucks, or do you want to dance some more?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    If you guys want this topic to stay around, it HAS to get away from the personal beef that you guys OBVIOUSLY have with each other. NOBODY has said anything new or different in here in a long time, and this is getting really old.

If you can't argue about the merits of the trucks without getting personal about it, then it leaves me no choice.

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• We are gonna get shut down again! So, I have an idea:

Unless you have a Ranger or Tacoma, don't show up in here (goodbye TBunder!). The Liberty is not a truck, it is an SUV. So take your discussions elsewhere.

Pluto - Don't know what you own, but unless it is a Tacoma, you need to get lost as well.

I think this forum is a riot, though, and the moderator should just let it go. It always brightens my day to see people going at each others throats over vehicles! Reminds me of the old days when I would fight Accord Coupe owners who thought my BMW M3 was inferior!

Ahhhhh the good ol days!

Obi
    I am speechless. Well not quite --

Stang - nothing on my 67 for now. It'll likely be a couple of years until I get really serious about it. I was looking at a Jegs catalog the other nite though. Would that be a good place to start, along with maybe some mustang websites? I know alot of folks like to keep their cars stock, and some turn them into lightning fast rigs like yours - I wanna stay somewhere in the middle. Whatever I do, it will have to stay very streetable, but very sporty and, most importantly, that nasty light yellow color. LOL. Kinda like a face only a mother could love.

And on another note, not trying to show my a$$ or anything, but what is wrong with what is going one here that would envoke suspension from the mods. I mean, sure it gets monotonous and a little off topic - but are we causing some loss of money on Edmunds part? The last week or so has been the busiest I can remember for this topic, and there hasn't been any blatant wrongs done I my eyes. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
  • I have both trucks in my fleet at work. They are both excellent trucks, great values, and drop dead dependable.

Recalls notwithstanding, there are some differences that make it easy for me to choose the Ranger over the Taco every time I need to drive one. Most of these difference involve the driver experience.

The Taco is the most uncomfortable seat on the planet. It's too low, zero support and gives me a backache in 2 miles. It is also the most least fun to drive truck of the two. Very plain, unexciting and cheap feeling to me.

The Ford has zip, handles better, sits comfortably and is fun to drive.

Beyond these personal preferences, there's not a dimes worth of difference between the two. They're both great little trucks.
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    Do any of you guys use Bilsteins on your Ranger 4x4 's ? Any advice ? there is an advertised special on those shocks now, and I am thinking of upgrading for a better (less "jittery") HIGHWAY ride (I don't go offroad much). Will these help calm the shakes, or make it worse ?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    what model year is the tacoma you drive? A number of people complain about the seats, but I've been told that Toyota improved them in later models. I've test driven a couple of 2002 Tacomas and thought the seats were pretty comparable to my Explorer.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    please get the facts straight before you post inaccurate information. it makes you look better.

curb weight- 4x4 liberty: 3857 lbs.

curb weight- 4x4 tacoma xtra cab: 3540 lbs. hmmm....600 lbs. in favor of the tacoma? lmao

rear diff. size- 4x4 or 4x2 liberty- 8.25" (DANA)

rear diff. size- 4x4 V6 tacoma 4x4- 8.25" (crap)

hmmmm again...can you say wrong plutonium?

as far as comparing sheetmetal and a "truck frame" to the liberty's high strength sheetmetal and welded (together) sheets of uniframe, i do not think you want to go there. if anyone would be cracking and twisting on the trails, common sense should tell you that that would be you. here, read this article. you may learn something- maybe the difference in tacoma's pop can sheetmetal compared to liberty's high strength alloy steel.

http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/2002-Jeep-Liberty-safety.html

also you diss the liberty for problem issues. well, in it's first year of production, it had only two recalls. the same number the tacoma had in it's first year in '95. tsb's don't mean anything. i honestly think that toyota is too arrogant to post as many tsb's as it could. same with the recalls.

you also say the DOHC design is better than the "old ancient" design of the SOHC. well, if this is true why doesn't your tacoma engine make more power and torque than my "old and ancient" 3.7 liter jeep engine? it's got the "superior" DOHC design and is still down 20 horse and 15 lb/ft of torque. and really, the 3.7 is just the jeep GC V8 (4.7 i believe) that has been hailed by many auto enthusiasts as one of the best V8's produced. plus, even tacoma owners are complaining of how rough and loud the DOHC design 3.4 tacoma engine is.

i don't know what you were thinking when you posted your mis-information about the jeep and tacoma, but surely you can do better research than that. as far as your other babbling, like stang said, you are like spam. you don't even make sense. i like how you still haven't replied to any of the posts i wrote showing how the liberty has a greater gvwr rating than tacoma 4x4, how it has better approach/departure angles than any tacoma, even Regular Cabs. and how it gets better mileage, has more power and torque, and serious off-road hardware like real towhooks- front and rear, dana axles all around, iron steering knuckle, cast iron lower a-arms, forged steel upper a-arms, real skidplates and not the ones mounted to the component they're protecting like your cheap tacoma incorporates, i could go on and on, but i know you won't reply.

oh yeah, my flares haven't fallen off either like the 2002 tacoma's are evidently doing. hilarious.

better luck next time my man. as i say, don't you just hate facts? especially when you haven't checked them.

approach angle: I told you already, with dinky tires it does not mean much. Yes, it's nice, after all, it's a Jeep.
    serious offroad hardware:
    1. real towhooks. Post some info where it says Tacoma towhooks aren't real. If I remember correctly, Liberty has towhooks as an option, and not standard equipment (Imagine that! On a Jeep!). HOw much did you pay for towhooks? I just went down to the nearest 4WheelParts store and got me some.
    2. Dana axles: it's a jeep, what do you expect? And Danas arent invulnerable.
    3. A-arms: here you go again, making things up. Just because having overbuilt components makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, does not mean it's a good thing. I say for the tenth time: show me some Tacoma with failed A-arms.
    4. Skidplates: well, can't say anything here.
    5. Fender flares: You said "Tacoma's", plural. So far it was a one single "Tacoma". Uno. It's October of 2002, and there is so far one single Tacoma with that problem in 2002.

Quit making up things. You generalize on one occurence. If that's the case, Ranger now comes with a 6-CD changer that melts CDs. Yes, there was a single occurence of that, but according to your approach, 2001 Rangers are now melting CDs.

I haven't heard any reply about how DC now sells it in extra-pimp version with 17" Chrome wheels.
  • Isn't it a PITA having to constantly research to prove somebody else's nonsense inaccurate? Tell me, how does your own medicine taste?

Let's see, we have exaggerated claims of curb weight, differential sizes, frame strength, engine performance, etc.

C'mon, even with your limited memory, this should ring a bell to you. Aren't these the same things you lied about when you made Tacoma and Ranger comparisons?
  • Even I will concede that the 2002 Ranger's seats are more comfortable than my 1998 Tacoma's. But what still surprises me is the lack of headrests, especially for us taller people. That's simply inexcusable, IMO.

I've been in two rear-end collisions as a passenger and even with headrests, it was ugly. The Ranger's "surf-board" seatback only extends to the base of my neck; I can only imagine what a good rear-ender could do.

**TBUNDY** can post his usual nonsense again about this - the Ranger's seatback and the Tacoma's are the same height off the floor. Even if its true and not another home-grown lie, it doesn't change the fact the Ford's seatback is an unsafe design.

I'm surprised the government and insurance companies doen't require a headrest.

Tacoma's aren't fun to drive? I've had a ball for the past four+ years driving mine. Older tests showed the Tacoma beat the Ranger in every performance category - acceleration, cornering, braking and off-roading. Maybe the Ranger is now on par with the Tacoma's acceleration but unless the suspension has changed, it will still take a back-seat to the Tacoma's handling.

Just differences in opinion...
This discussion has been closed.