Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• Let's compare the Ford 3.8l (SOHC) found in the Mustang with a Toyota Tacoma 3.4l (DOHC).

Both have peak outputs of 190 HP and 220 Torque.

However the Ford 3.8l produces it's 220 ft/lbs at 2750 RPM, vs Tacoma's 3600 RPM. The SOHC 3.8l produces lower end torque. The trade off is that the 3.4l can produce it's peak HP at 4800 RPM, thanks to it's combination of intake plennums and 4 valve intake. Still 4800 RPM is fairly high, but the SOHC 3.8L has to spin up even faster to 5250 RPM to achieve the same peak horsepower.
  • Now if that's not the dumbest comparison I've ever seen, I don't know what is! Is this what you have to resort to to get the figures in your favor? Comparing a 3.8 MUSTANG's engine to a Tacoma's 3.4? I'm shocked.

Let's get realistic, shall we?

Toyota's new DOHC 4 valve 4.0:
    245 horsepower at 5,200 rpm
    283 pound-feet of torque at 3,400 rpm.

Fords new SOHC 2 valve 4.0:
    207 horsepower @ 5250 rpm
    238 lb.-ft. of torque @ 3000 rpm

Toyota's 4.7 DOHC V8 produces more torque at a lower RPM that either the Chevy 4.8 or Ford 4.6. (don't remember the exact figures).

"in a truck application 4 vavles hurt low end performance. 4 Valve heads can only help high end output..."

With all due respect, midnight_caballo, but the figures prove otherwise. And your examples of Vipers, Corvettes and Lightnings using high-output non DOHC engines was poorly chosen. These rely on displacement more than anything to produce power. The Viper's V10 especially is a real dog when you consider its HP to displacement ratio.
  • tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    i already convinced you as i spelled it all out in the last thread that pluto got blocked. i have yet to hear any comments on your part- simply because you cannot comment on them. they were all against you.

the seat belt problems, the driveline problems, the rattling dash problems, the leaky interior problems, and rough and loud engine characteristics are all current issues being discussed on the tacoma problems board. you just won't acknowledge that these exist because you don't think anyone else peruses other boards. but we all know that isn't true since you post daily in the liberty forums. the funny thing is that you almost bought a rodeo or something like that. that explains a lot. and no, 2002 didn't fix the flares that keep falling off tacomas as one owner told you personally i believe.

pluto- if toyota is known for quality- why weren't the owners in the tacoma problems convinced? lmao.

please read the forum before you make embarrassing statements like that. ill say it again, my flares never fell off and i know my power steering pump didn't give. let's not forget those quality built sludgy engines that are even smoother than the supposedly perfectly balanced underpowered 3.4.

pluto- excuses, excuses, excuses. the SOHC actually is only a year younger than your wimpy 3.4. it came out in '96, while the 3.4 i believe was available in '95. why is it that you and scorpio always want to live in the future? maybe because the current offering of tacoma just can't cut it against the competition? obviously.
  • Blah blah blah.

So what do you say about your Liberty having that leaking interior problem you so vehemently criticized the Tacoma for?

Engine sludge? 3 thousand out of 3 MILLION engines were affected. That's a defect rate of 0.1%, a problem so small had it been Ford, they would have never even noticed.

Stay tuned, folks, for more blah blah blah.
    why compare an engine that doesn't even exist in any toyota truck to one that's being put in rangers daily? because it's in your favor?
    stang (or as you should call him- Socrates) compared the 3.4 to the 3.8 ford simply because they make the same power figures in totally different configurations (i know it's hard for you to comprehend). this new 4.0 sounds good from toyota, but why brag about it when it isn't even available? let's talk about the current trucks ok? plus, if the next tacoma looks anything like the new forerunner, i can see sales declining rapidly. can you say fugly?

the tsb's on the jeep- these are for very early built liberty's. i haven't experienced any of these problems. just one bad fuel pump.
    the manufacturing techniques of liberty are somewhat related to infinity (and the new nissan altima) and mercedes-benz, not the parts that go into them. if that were the case, the liberty wouldn't be $17000.
    you know you've got plutonium when all he can think of posting is "blah, blah, blah".
    lmao
  • Do you know why Toyota isn't selling Tacomas with the new 4.0 yet?

You see, there's this little thing called RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING. Ford and Jeep don't believe in it. That's why they have zillions of TSBs, recalls, class-action lawsuits, etc.

Congratulations, **TBUNDY** you have become the unknowing and unwilling participant of Jeep's field testing division - at your own expense.
    pluto brags about--"research, development, and testing".

im beginning to think he's a comedian.

this site about sums up what we all know, and what toyota is really about. these people really "got the feeling". the vehicles do "look" good though.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_safety.html

• Let me quote you pluto (see post #4):

"You are comparing [Toyota]'s most recent engine offerings to [Ford's 4.0], a design that's going on a decade old now.

What you are really saying is that it's taken the competition a decade to get a[n...] engine to outperform [Ford]'s tried and proven [4.0]"

So you're comparing a engine not available to the Tacoma in a year or so, with one Ford has had out for close to a decade? Two things for certain, the Ford 4.0l has an almost perfectly flat torque curve, and the Toyota does not. However the Toyota engine does show much more power available. The difference is not DOHC vs SOHC, but about 8-10 years of new technology.

I guess if Ford releases a new engine, you'll say it's unfair to compare it to the older Yota 4.0l. Next let's compare the Toyota 4.7l to a flathead v8!

In some situations I would pick the Toyota 4.7l over a 4.6l, say in a full size truck. The problem here is that Ford offers a 5.4L which I will EASILY and Definitely take over Yota's 4.7l. Toyota says 4.7l is all I'll ever want? What about the 6.8l V10? Toyota Can't compete.

Are you also telling me that vehicles built with enthusiast packages such as the Z06, Lightning, and any Viper didn't want to spare the expense of a 2 extra cams and a different casting of heads? These vehicles cost 32, 51, or even up to 80 thousand dollars, and my point is that 4 valves aren't the answer to everything.

"The Viper's V10 especially is a real dog when you consider its HP to displacement ratio."

Tell that to someone who owns a viper and let me know if they care. =)
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    So what you are saying is that the lucky people who buy a 2003 Toyota 4 runner are helping the Toyota research and development team by performing the testing required before the new 4.0l engine goes in the Tacoma? I am sure there is going to be some pissed off 4 runner owners next year if this is the case.
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    "The Viper's V10 especially is a real dog when you consider its HP to displacement ratio."

At >500hp and >500lb-ft of torque I think the power/displacement ratio is a mute point. What really matters is the fact that unless someone pulls up next to you with a Ferrari they will see nothing but tail lights from you.
    pluto brags about--"research, development, and testing".

im beginning to think he's a comedian.

this site about sums up what we all know, and what toyota is really about. these people really "got the feeling". the vehicles do "look" good though.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_safety.html

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    are considering buying a Tacoma, tbunder? Get off it. You have the maturity I had when I was 5. "OO OO, I think I might get a Tacoma or something with coilover suspensiong cuz its cool [after a Tacoma owner made me recognize that fact]".
  • kbtoyskbtoys Posts: 62
    You crack me up when you post links that have problems with toyota when the same site has even more problems with fords. The site had 3 airbag complaints for toyota vs the 17 airbag complaints that ford has.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_airbags.html

• saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    I was just kidding with that last one. We are all immature here!
  • Any update on your mustang?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    "the tsb's on the jeep- these are for very early built liberty's. i haven't experienced any of these problems. just one bad fuel pump."

Well, lets put it this way: I have not experienced a single problem as described by you. Seatbelt problem (This is a second time I ask...what is it? Is it that seatbelt TSB from 2001 that you automatically made up into a problem, while it was some sort of improvement to a model working perfectly fine?), drivetrain (what problem? As far as I'm concerned, it's Ranger that's having drivetrain problems with driveshaft replacements....and in some cases, 2 of them) axle wrap (which I take for normal), rattling dash (I'll believe that some people experience it. Again, my Taco does not have it), leaky interior (can you say Ford Ranger? Once again, I don't have any of those problems).....those are all problems experienced by some people. Some are valid problems like 2001 fenders: yes, there was a guy who posted it about 2002 Tacoma, but that's by far the only 2002 owner. Some problems are made up by you to make you feel good.

All the links you post about Liberty being built on lines with Benz standards: so......why is it that early Liberties are so bad? Did DC just adopt Benz practices in the middle of a production? Seeing how a story describes line halts in case of any problems, it sure makes me wonder how all those problems got through.
    The way I see it, Jeep did this: "Release first, finish later, let our customers be our beta customers", which is something I think Ford has as an internal motto.

And yes, I almost bought an Isuzu Amigo. I could not find one in a combination I wanted. I really wanted something fast and fun to drive, but after not finding anything in a small SUV market I turned to trucks.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    now that Jeep sells them with 17" chrome wheels.
    Can anyone say "poozer"?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    mean nothing IMO. Recalls, however, do. 19 for the Ranger in the past 6 years, 3 for the Taco. you do the math...
This discussion has been closed.