Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    can you say change the subject? lmao

as far as the "pimpy looking" 17's, i don't see the light in that one. the F150 has been using 17's for seven years. are they pimpy? so if you consider anything chromed "pimpy", you better go spray paint your chrome tacoma bumpers. they look "pimpy" after all.

i am done throwing facts your way that you can't defend. it is a waste of my time. you guys have swayed all of them and personally, i find it quite hilarious.

about the "one owner" who has flares falling off. well, i am the only owner who had a bad fuel pump. and you all gave me crap for that. and i didn't even have to tell you.

pluto- blah about the head restraints on the ranger- they're just as high as any tacoma. come to my house and we'll go to some dealers and measure together. you are the one making stuff up.

scorp- making stuff up? i stated fact after fact- and you and pluto both have ignored to comment. how about pluto's theory that his DOHC design is far better when my old SOHC makes more power and torque, gets better fuel mileage, and has been hailed (in it's V8 config) as being one of the smoothest and most powerful V8's ever to grace a truck. i guess it's "power robbing" balancer doesn't rob as much as toyota's, eh? :o)- busting a gut here guys!!!!

oh yeah- approach angle is just that. and you were wrong on the RC thingy. am i not right?
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    Well, F150 is a fullsize pickup, and Liberty is an SUV...a compact SUV at that. So 17" rims look pimpy on it, especially chrome. It would be fine on other vehicles, but when they are sold as an option on what you would like to call an offroader....that's just plain wrong.
    And my bumper is not chrome, but color-coded, so my truck is silver all way around.
    One owner with fender flare problem (and how you immediately jump to saying "fender flares falling off on 2002 Tacomas"): this is a prime example of you making things up. Should I point out another one? In the Liberty forums you said something like "But since 4Runners have an issue with sludged up engines I would stay away from them". Since you know perfectly well its not true, you are making things up.
    I don't know about the V6 vs V8 discussion, nor do I care. Take it up with pluto. And what RC thingy is that?
    Truth is: half of your facts are fiction. The Benz-like practices of building Liberties (while defending the huge number of recalls as being "early builds"...I wonder if Mercedes Benz sells horribly built expensive cars the first year and then tells people "Sorry....this is our first year building this"), the overgeneralization of a single problem (remember.....the fuel pump is being brought up because you posted the links about Benz practices), none of this is adding any credibility to what you are saying.
    to get some, reply to the facts i posted in the old thread. still nothing. and the 17's are for the limited liberty's- the luxury ones. sure you can have your cake and eat it too. nice looking 17's, however not for me, and still an off-road capable truck. and do you really call two recalls huge? i think you need to reread your post and correct your errors. i didn't write the benz like quote, it was a comment from a person who toured the plant with the plant foreman. i have posted that link numerous times. click it, you may learn something. pluto already has since he has started changing subjects and making excuses why he was wrong with all of his "facts". you guys kill me. ill repeat it- liberty had same amount of recalls it's first year as toyota tacoma had it's first year. the fact is- your tacoma is old hat; a really old design that is down on power and also down on refinement in the drivetrain area and build quality of inside materials. the jeep is a technologically advanced vehicle that the tacoma just can't compete with. every category shows the jeep ahead of the tacoma. that's laughable.

what about that gvwr thing? RC thingy is you saying the RC taco having better approach angles than lib. isn't true as i've provided the facts that again, go against you. lmao
    It's not like Tacoma was designed last year...it's an 8 year old design, and the competition is playing catch-up. Yes, Liberty has a bigger engine.....what will you be saying next year when new Tacos come out?
    Liberty recalls: yes, you didn't write the quote, but you posted that link so many times it's obvious you like what that article says. For a vehicle that is built, according to that article, with traditions of Mercedes Benz, the list of problems is just too long.
    RC thingy: you went on and on about how Liberty would walk all over Tacome because it has shorter wheelbase. RC has wheelbase even shorter than Liberty. That's the RC thingy. I'm not arguying about approach angles. As I said, I am skeptical about the small tires. I've seen Liberty with 3" of lift try to climb up a ledge, it was not pretty.
  • The fact of the matter is when it comes to off-roading, your Liberty takes a backseat to the Wrangler. Why do you think in comparos (like the famous Wrangler vs. Tacoma vs. Hummer - Tacoma won by the way) the chosen contender from Jeep was a Wrangler?

Behind your trademark Jeep grill and underneath all that "Ken & Barbie" foo-foo, you have just another cute-ute like all the rest. While I'm ecstatic you like your little cute-ute, I find it amusing you keep trying to convince us that it's something it's not - a "real" Jeep.

I have also noted you have done your best to compare Ranger FX4s, S-10 ZR2s, Wranglers, Libertys etc. to the Tacoma. Just goes to show when you're #1, somebody's always trying to challenge you.

If you had bought a Wrangler and were making the same claims to grandeur as you've done with your Liberty, maybe somebody here would take you seriously. Until then, you need to swallow your pride and acknowledge the fact the Liberty isn't in the same league as a Tacoma TRD or Wrangler.
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    Read the history of its develpment. A major priority of the German designers was to sell this brand to SOCCER MOMS.
    Hence, it is overweight and has that "SOFT" look about it.
    If you want to offroad, get a real off roader.
    ok, ill take your advice. thx
    also, i'd love to read it's historic development. could you direct me to it? also, it's "overweight" simply because it's built like a sherman tank. it employs high strength sheetmetals and alloys. funny how you say it's "overweight", but pluto doesn't even think it weighs as much as you guys' tacomas.

pluto- it's good to see you want to throw in the towel. you say i don't have a real off-roader. and it's just another cute ute. well, would you please tell me what other cute utes employ dana axles all around, a real direct shift transfer case (more real than your electronic one), real skidplates and not skinny metal like your tacoma ones that are bolted to the component they're protecting like your tacoma's- did you think of that design? how about my trac-loc rear diff, real towhooks-front and rear, more powerful engine than your "superior design" DOHC design truck has(laughable), not to mention it's awesome approach and departure angles and it's 10.2 ground clearance. nah, it's not a real off-roader. lmao

did you finally realize you didn't have a 12" rear diff? you know, one that's "at least" 4" larger than my jeep's dana? how about those weight numbers you thought up? hilarious.

ill agree that the liberty isn't in the same ballpark with the wrangler, but nothing is. the reason your trd tied the wrangler in that test is because the wrangler was an open diff as stang pointed out to you. are you bragging your trd tied an open diff'd wrangler? that's pathetic.
    the new rubicon will stomp any other 4x4 production vehicle ever built. it has no competition. and the reason i compare all those vehicles to your trd is because this is the name of the game around here. you know, toyota tacoma vs. ford ranger? and im defending my jeep to you guys because you people called it a mallrunner.

also, i notice no comment on the DOHC 'superiority' design compared to my more powerful and more fuel efficient old and crappy SOHC balanced V6. LOL
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    we should just rename this topic "whatever Tbunder is driving vs. the Tacoma?"
  • h0udinih0udini Posts: 118
    wreck today here in beautiful Coeur d'Alene. Corner of Seventh and Sherman. Seems like a Tacoma and Liberty decided to get it on in the middle of the intersection. Don't know who was at fault, but man, that Liberty looked like an exploded pop can with its innards all over the place. By comparison, the Tacoma looked remarkably intact. I realize the aftermath of a bad accident shouldnt be taken as a testimonial to a vehicle's strength, but I was shocked at the difference. I know which vehicle I'd rather be in.
  • Is that vehicle aside, you didn't mention if everybody walked away... and exploded pop can or not, that is what is supposed to happen. I'd rather a vehicle absorb most of the damage, instead of myself received the brunt of it...

According to IIHS, the Liberty has a much better safety structure.

www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0127.htm

According to NHTSA, The liberty mops up the Tacoma. 5 star to Tacoma's 3 star.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

Get ready for the long message from tbunder where he posts results from NHTSA showing how Liberty is rated higher than Tacoma.
    Any pix of the accident? What type was it? head-on/T-bone/?
  • The IIHS rated the Liberty overall as marginal:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0127.htm

The IIHS rated the Tacoma overall as acceptable:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/98003.htm

In this case, I think h0udini's observations concur with what the IIHS reported. Go ahead and provide us with your skewed interpretations of the IIHS' results - they don't change the fact the IIHS rated the Tacoma higher.

I suppose you've self-appointed yourself as IIHS' crash test analyst after you were impeached as our self-appointed moderator, huh? Oh well, at least you haven't lost your loyal supporter **TBUNDY**

This has been a long arguement...IIHS also rates Tacoma same as Ranger, better in some areas and worse in others. It's all a matter of perspective: NHTSA rates Ranger higher, hence Ford fans ditch the IIHS. For Tacoma fans its the other way.
    I still think IIHS results have more practical use for head-on collisions, the only thing NHTSA results are good for is side collisions.
  • Putting words into other people's mouth again?
    What I said was concerning "Structure/safety cage". Librerty: Good, Tacoma: Acceptable. However, I should have added "in their respective vehicle classes".

Also you need to be a bit more thorough on the websites you link to. The IIHS site itself says "Test results can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight."
    Right next to each crash result is the statement "IMPORTANT: Compared with other midsize utility vehicles--compare ratings only among vehicles of similar weight"

The regular cab Tacoma at around 2700 pounds is much lighter than the Liberty at an estimated 4100 pounds.
    That weight is published neatly on the left side of the pages you provided links for.
    So any conclusion you make is unfortunately, invalid.

Also IIHS kindly suggests that "[NHTSA] and [IIHS]tests complement each other", and as an informed consumer, you should look at the big picture, not just one orgnaization.
  • Do you see the kinds of problems we get into when people stray off topic? By stray, I mean certain posters constantly making comparisons to Tacomas, depending on which vehicle happens to be their favorite at any given minute.

I believe your little lecture would be more appropriately aimed at **TBUNDY**, after all, he started the nonsense. Of course, such an obvious conclusion is all but invisible through your biased eyes.
  • However I also agree with anyone who wants to defend their own vehicle, opinions and choices. Maybe if you quit putting down the Liberty, Tbunder will less likely feel the need to defend it.

Plus with the unrespectful statements you made in the last two paragraphs of your post #73, and the last paragraph in #76, I am much more likely to not see your side of any argument. You can't insult me and ask me to see your side in the same post.

Scorpio--->NHTSA crash results are better for full collisions(front or side), while IIHS only does off-set collisions(front only). "Full" being defined as the entire front of the vehicle being hit, and off-set where only a foot or two of the vehicle is hit. All taken with a grain of salt, the sum of such information is much more valuable than any one test alone.
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    I don't own a Taco, I own a Ranger (IMHO, its quality does not live up to the typical Toyota), and would prefer not to own either a Taco OR a Ranger. The truck for me in the future is a Tundra, or perhaps the new upcoming Chevy Colorado with the inline 5 or 6..we shall see [IF GM can solve their infamous abyssmal assembly quality problems]. In any event, I still think the Liberty is overweight and underpowered. My post still stands about the vehicle being marketed to attract women...a VERY lucrative market, and a smart move by the German automaker.
    Good luck with your Jeep. I think it has a GREAT motor, and never said otherwise.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    RIGHT?!

And I saw the numbers on the new I5 for GM, and that thing is weak! Much worse IMO, than the current 4.3L. 215HP @ 5600 and 225 @ 2800. Not bad, but not what I expected either.
    i don't quite understand your last post.

"I still think the Liberty is overweight and underpowered."

"Good luck with your Jeep. I think it has a GREAT motor, and never said otherwise."

unless you are being sarcastic, i don't know what you mean. and as far as "underpowered", it currently has the highest horsepower in its class of any V6 offered by any manufacturer. how can that be underpowered.

however the "german automaker" (last time i checked chrysler was an american automaker, owned by a foreign company) markets the liberty, it must be working as it is selling very well. i like the truck. it has everything i consider a 4x4 to have, and it will go anywhere i will ever want to take it. plus, it will haul my family to the grocery store and prevent me from plowing my driveway this winter as im sure it will laugh at snow with my new BFG's. you may want to check out www.pickuptruck.com, there is an article on the predicted crew cab tundra due out as an '04 model.
    wow, that must have been one huge mega coincidence to see a liberty and a tacoma in an accident together just when we're talking about the two vehicles.

as you described it, the liberty exploded or had its guts lying all over the pavement or something. this statement i ponder, because according to the IIHS, the liberty has a higher rated safety cage. iow, the cage or passenger compartment is stronger on the liberty (a no brainer since the lib has welded sheets of high strength alloy steels underneath running the length of the vehicle as well as the roll cage under the roof). so im trying to figure out how a tacoma, which, according to the IIHS site (pluto's fave), is 1400 lbs. lighter than the 4100 lb. liberty. to be more accurate, the taco, which is actually only 300 lbs lighter (varying by model- RC 4x2 is 2700 lbs. according to IIHS) (all libs are the same weight) made the liberty "explode" and lay it's innards on the pavement. i won't debate this little scenario, i just hope no one got hurt. but it just sounds a little far fetched. of course, jmo.

also, the NHTSA gives the lib five stars on front and side impacts. the taco got three starts.
This discussion has been closed.