Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Ranger vs Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• tbunder1tbunder1 Posts: 257
    but do you really think gm will come out with an all new larger "midsized" truck with only 215 horses? when it already has the I-6 sitting there? speculation aside, i do not think that 215 horses will be the most powerful colorado engine. i could care, because i know the new ranger will have some sort of V8. unlike the new tacoma, which will still settle for the new 4.0 V6. it may make more power than the new ford V8, but i guarantee that the new V8 ranger (when it gets here) gets will make more torque, which is really the important thing around here.

scorp- it's still third hat in sales. it will never be #1. or #2. take that to the bank.
  • Good for Tacoma! It is #1 in compact sales this month. Still alot of catching up to do to win #1 for the year...
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    but this year I wouldn't be surprised if Taco hit #2 in compact sales the way S10 is selling. It might actually be #2 already if you use September data and do some math. Of course, it's speculatory, but given the sales volume this year, highly likely.

The new Ranger may have a V8, but lets see.....it was first supposed to come out in 2003? Then 2004? Now it is pushed back to 2005? With all the headlines about "restructuring" in Ford...who knows.
    Doesn't matter, it'll make it to #1 eventually. What matters is that before tbunder used to say "Ranger outsells Tacoma by hundreds of thousands", and now it's down to "tens of thousands". Besides, if it makes #2, that's quite an accomplishment for a model that's been on the market for 8 years only.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Posts: 566
    but for like the past three years people have been saying that about it getting the I-6. If it was, don't you think Chevy would be bragging about it too. Heck, they were bragging about the I-6 for two years before the Trailblazer came out. I could be wrong, though. Its about time. Hehe.
    is that the avalanche is on the heels of the beloved tundra. not to mention it is up over 200% in sales over last year. now with a new avalanche coming out in '03 with none of that body claddding, it will sell even better. plus, it isn't as bad to look at it. looks like a normal truck. the days of hundreds of thousands over the tacoma are done simply because people aren't buying small trucks like they used to. ford isn't selling as many as they used to, therefore they aren't building as many. the whole market is soft. the ram is very impressive however in sales.

sad- i dont know nor do i care. i won't buy a new colorado. it will be a new ranger i assume. as i expect the new one to kick [non-permissible content removed] whenever it comes out. there's always something new and better around the bend. no matter when or what you buy.
  • Yes the Tacoma sold more trucks in September 02, according to pickuptrucks.com.

However for the Year of 2002, Ranger is still over 181,000 vs Tacoma's 117,000.

But Yes, again, the Tacoma did sell 618 more trucks in September...

See what I see?
    If people aren't buying small trucks like they used to, why aren't we seeing that behavior with Tacoma?

Avalanche vs Tundra: who cares?
    Like I said, Tacoma will get to #1 eventually, if they choose to. It's not like Toyota is making 200,000 Tacomas a year and can't sell them. They are going rather well without any rebates and 0% financing.
    Ranger still sells more, but it is no longer the "hundreds of thousands" more units. I'll be laughing when Tacoma tops S10 in sales for this year. Tbunder said to take it to the bank that it would not. We all know how much his "facts" are worth.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    I would like to see some data showing that compact truck sales have significantly dropped off. (adjusted for the fact that all vehicle sales are down due to the economy) I'm skeptical.
  • 09-2002 YTD sales / percent change / 09-2001 YTD Sales(calculated)

Truck Market.2,154,233 -1.98% 2,197,762
    FullSize........1,629,681 0.24% 1,625,783
    Compact........524,552 -8.29% 571,979

So, at least compared to all true trucks, the Compacts are generally not selling as well, BUT I didn't factor in the Avalanche, as it's too new.
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    Well, I'd agree that that is definitely significant. However, if slacking sales are the reason for coming out with "bigger" compact trucks, then this decline must have been going on for some time. My feeling, though, is that the auto makers are forcing bigger vehicles on us as the profit margins are likely bigger. Call me a cynic. :)
  • which vehicle is the best. There's been a lot of talk about Jeeps in this conversation and I'll use them as an example. Far more Wrangler Sports and Wrangler Saharas are sold than Wrangler Rubicons. Nobody here (whoops, I may be wrong...) is going to argue that the Rubicon isn't the best, however.

The same point applies to the Ranger vs. Tacoma debate. Like the Rubicon, the Tacoma TRD isn't a best-seller because it costs more - but it comes better equipped and has the better reputation.

I personally don't care if the Tacoma places 5th in sales or 1st.
    dc is only building 8000 rubicon wranglers. it is a limited run. so to say it is better but doesn't sell as well really isn't a fair comparison. and just in your mind is the TRD better equipped and has a better reputation than ranger. in others, it's the opposite.

however, sales numbers do obviously tell what the public wants in a vehicle. and for like 15 years in a row, that has been ranger. there is no argument about that.
  • It's 18+ years in a row... :)

It think the Tacoma is a great truck, but not as many people are buying it for it's off-road abilities that has become the golden goose egg some make it to be.

Tacoma Sales

..........2002YTD | 2001YTD | Pct Change

4x2......71,080 . . . 70,946 . . . 0.6

4x2......46,863 . . . 50,982 . . . -7.7

Total...117,943 . . . 121,928 . . . -2.8

Maybe everybody is turning towards TRD Pre-runners?

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=20021001b

"dc is only building 8000 rubicon wranglers. it is a limited run. so to say it is better but doesn't sell as well really isn't a fair comparison. and just in your mind is the TRD better equipped and has a better reputation than ranger. in others, it's the opposite"

And you think Ford doesn't manufacture tons more Rangers than Toyota does Tacomas. Someone find a statistic on the percentage of tacomas that are sold at their original value that Toyota wanted to make off of them vs. the same percentage of Rangers. It may just be me, but this time of year I hear WAY more ads from Ford stealerships about clearing off their lots and distributorships than that of Toyota's.
    no one is saying the ranger is better simply because it outsells the tacoma. we're just saying that more people choose the ranger for some reason......insert your reason here. if its saving money, more power to them. and i would assume that it takes a lot less to build a ranger than a tacoma. anything foreign built or with foreign parts is always more expensive. and don't ask someone else to do your dirty work. if you want a stat (what you want is impossible to get anyways), get it yourself.
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    If I remember right one of the reasons that Toyota limits their production is that they have to pay an import tax on each vehicle (even though the trucks a "built" in the US).
    hehe, OK.

Otherwise, point taken.

But I would like everyone to remember a time when you said the main reason why you dislike TRDs is that they are a "dime a dozen." Seems to me that Rangers are a dime a dozen, too, much more so than any other compact truck.
    does everyone remember that? okay, good. just wanted to make that clear. im sure i said that at one point or another in the last year. how many other things can we bring up again that's been rehashed several times in the last year?

there was once a time when seeing ZR2 S10's, TRD tacomas, and off-road pkg. equipped rangers were somewhat of a rare occurence. now, all these trucks are all you see when you see a respective model. ZR2's especially. i had a reg. cab '97, and it was very rare. heck, they don't even make reg. cab ZR2's anymore, but back then a ZR2 was truly a hard truck to find (especially light metallic blue like i had). now, they're dime a dozen, just like the TRD tacomas and FX4 rangers (just a fancy new name for the past off-road pkg. rangers). but the cool thing is that the FX4 Level II is the most hard to find off-road pkg. truck now. you won't see many of them. now does that make them better? no, not in some minds. but i guarantee there aren't as many built as TRD's and ZR2's. and for me, that makes it cool. had they made a crew cab in it, i'd have one in my garage.
This discussion has been closed.