Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on high mileage Mustang Cobras

13»

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    some money. I still think it would be kinda pointless though. The guy who started this thread was obviously looking for a bargain and IMO a high mileage Cobra is not a bargain, performance wise. A clean fox body LX 5.0L is a bargain.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    if you've got the depth in your checkbook, who am I to say you shouldn't do it? I'm sure SHM pays the guy for his original 30,000 mile engine, too. The long blocks are between $8-10K, depending on your preferences during the build.
    you could build a track terror.....the whole car.
    but this guy built a show car - at Super Shops we called them "checkbook cars". Funds are unlimited, the owners have more money than sense and the cars will never really be used for a normal purpose. Trailer queens used for bragging rights.

My car will be done for under $10K, with the blower - it'll weigh under 2900 lbs, have 425-450 at the wheels and will embarrass Vettes and Porches at the autocross. For under $10K.
    have a nice setup planned. Better be careful autocrossing that thing, 450 RWHP is quite a bit. I remember an article a while back in "5.0L" magazine about building a $3000 Mustang that ran 12s. It was basically a POS, but it was quick.
  • maybe the guy who started this thread would be better off with a couple year old GT. Newcar31, I just got a 2003 GT, and you are right, there is nothing like a Mustang!
    and I run in North Jersy at Giants stadium (quite a few races over the year) and they tend to be fast, smooth courses instead of short and choppy.
    going to autocross events and seeing all of the "checkbook" cars. There was a guy with a ZR-1 with insane amounts of money in the engine. Every single corner he came out of, he ended up shredding the tires. The car appeared to have too much power, or at least more power than the driver could handle. In the last corner of his last run, he overcooked the corner, tried to correct with power oversteer, and the 'Vette ended up swapping sides, taking out the timing laser in the process. Then it was back on the trailer....
    Autocross entry: $20
    New Hoosiers: $500
    Stickers for car: $10

Getting to see some idiot with more money than sense show off and thrash his Vette and end up paying $2000 for a new laser timer:

Priceless
    with an adjustable boost supercharger, I can lower the boost a few PSI.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    Yes, the previous generation Mustang was too much fun. I should have bought one then. When I looked at them again it was '93 and they'd taken most of the life out of the car. Maybe the SOHC has put back some sparkle and zip.
    are catching on in the aftermarket. There are several 4.6 tuners in 5.0 magazine who deal strictly with mod motors. Their slight lack of bottom end torque and higher top end is an advantage at the drag strip. The 5.0's only disadvantage has been too much bottom end torque resulting in no traction.
13»
This discussion has been closed.