Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• jazzbeaujazzbeau Posts: 10
    The frame under my truck is solid and fully in tact! I'm happy :) to report this info and feel bad for those unfortunate to have rusted frames. I believe Toyota should look into this..why is it only Toyota frames going bad? Or, are there other companies frame's rusting out as well?? :confuse:
  • I looked at the literature from when I bought the truck and it doesn't say anything about anti-corrosion. From what I have been seeing it looks like most of the problems are with 99's. I took the truck to a frame repair shop to ask an opinion on if it is worth repairing or not. The man told me it will be a lot of work and it will rust again. He recommended getting rid of it. Told me he had a tacoma in a few months ago that he put up on the lift and had it break in half. I really don't know what to do now, the truck only has 75,000 miles and otherwise is in immaculate condition.
  • torqued2torqued2 Posts: 1
    I too am experiencing the same problem. Two weeks ago I noticed that the rear cab/body mounts had totally colapsed. The rear of the cab now sits on the frame. Last week it was off to the Dealer that I purchased it from and have it checked out. First, two techs did the "lump hammer" sounding test, and then a gaggle of techs had a conference under the truck. Not good!

What they put in writing for me;

"No warranty applicable at this time, inspected vehicle, severe rust on frame, will notify Toyota DSM as per Jeff N. Service Director.VEHICLE IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE!"

Great!

There is 89,700 miles on this truck. Original exhaust, brake cables, etc. and they have outlasted the frame. Go figure.

I'm still waiting for a District Sales Manager to call.
    When I have any info in regards to satisfaction, I'll post back.
  • nzcar8nzcar8 Posts: 3
    I sorry but there is something I can do and I did it !!!
    Traded it back for exactly whaT i PAID FOR !!!!
    AND GOT A HONDA !!!! MY OTHER CAR IS A 2007 F-350 SUPER DUTY 6.0 DIESLE SO DEAL OR NO DEAL ???? NO DEAL!!!!
  • janice96janice96 Posts: 19
    My husband is looking at a 04 Tacoma with 4 cyl. and 5 sp. Transmision. Will he get better milage with the 5 speed than Auto transmission? He currently has a 99 Taco 6cyl. It has well over 120,000 miles on it.He is wanting something that gets as good or better millage than his 99.
  • I have a 2003 Tacoma and that beeping when it is locked and unlocked is starting to get to me. Is there any way that one can shut that off, without taking out the entire alarm system? If you know, do tell please. Thanks
  • jdm5jdm5 Posts: 1
    Own a 2003 Tacoma, around 36K miles. When I turn, the tires squeal pretty badly. They are not worn out...so wonder if it's just the tire. Any ideas? also, when braking going 45+, the truck starts to shake. This has just started happening. Any idea on the cause? Fluids need to be changed? Thanks.
  • nzcar8nzcar8 Posts: 3
    Hey 04 Tacoma

Go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm and look it up. There very close, if not rite on the $. I got rid of mine thought I miss it was a great little truck, the gas milage is just no good for me I travel 147 mile round trip each day. I rather drive a vette my 87 rag top gets 24 MPG on the Hiway !
  • slee5slee5 Posts: 6
    Try this to improve the gas mileage on your Tocoma.
    1) change your shock absorbers, OEM shock is always under rated( std bilstein shock) with Tocoma pre-runner V-6 TRD. I can feel the car is wobbling and bouncing when it was brand new ( by the way dealer changed one shock for me during warranty period). After I changed all the shocks, the gas mileage improved from 17.5 gpm to 19.5 gpm. Still not as good as the print on the sticker (print 19 to 23 gpm), but, It improve 8.9%.
    2) I also purchase MAF cleaner (CRC brand) clean the MAF sensor to smooth out the rough idling.
  • chagasichagasi Posts: 7
    Squeaking tires on turning isn't usually a big deal. Most tires have so little actual rubber in them that this is pretty common. I am making the assumption that you are referring to squealing like noises as if you were going around a curve in a video game too fast.
    As for the shaking, brakes, almost always brakes. With that many miles on a truck, it could be simply the pads, but more likely your rotors need to be turned. There have been a couple of reports of tie rods and steering racks going off in (1999-2001) Tacos, which are not cheap to replace and tend to take rotors, pads and occasionally calipers with them. You need to get it looked at in case you are not just dealing with warped rotors IMHO.
  • compostercomposter Posts: 1
    Apparently it happens with the 2000 as well. I just went in for my state inspection expecting the usual routine sticker paste up. It flunked because of rust holes in the frame. 105,000 miles, runs like a top, body still bright and shiny. I tried two shops and the lowest estimate was $5000! So I'm off to see if I can foist it off on some dealer for a trade-in. If not, it's the junk yard. Unbelievable!
  • dasman12dasman12 Posts: 11
    Someone else already suggested getting it checked out by a REPUTABLE mechanic.....

That said, it sounds like your tires may be scalloped, or alignment off.

Scalloped tires are symptomatic of a number of potential issues...... find someone who is honest and "a good mechanic", and have them check it out.

If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer. If they try to sell you on an uncovered repair, get a second or third opinion.
  • Got one better. I have a 2001 2.7 4cyl auto and was getting 13-14 mpg. Took to 2 dealers and also to regional rep that 'happened' to work at one of the dealers. Said nothing was wrong.
    4 cyl getting 13-14mpg..come on!!! Wound up getting a K&N air induction filter and put it on in less than 30 minutes. Now I get around 17mpg in town. Still not happy with the pickup and also still burning too much gas. The tail pipe is black. Heard about checking an oxygen sensor on it. This is 2nd tacoma... won't buy another one....
    Hey Ron,

If it is a 4x4 with autotrans, that is probably typical in town mileage. You should also get 22+ mpg on the highway. If you had a 5speed, you would get significantly better mileage.

You didn't say, so I'm just going to presume it's a 4x4, and also, a tuning issue.

Your post provides virtually NO actionable information, in terms of a diagnostic.

Check out www.toyotanation.com/forum/ and you will likely find some useful feedback.
  • I would also pump up the tires. I have Michelin tires that hold up to 50# so I set them at 45#. That put my truck up to 19 MPG on the highway. A diesel sure would be nice in this thing. A 4 cylinder turbodiesel would get near 30 MPG in this 4x4 tacoma. My first and last Toyota truck as well. My frame is rotting away. Original exhaust though!! What's wrong with this picture?
  • I get it from a local dealer but bacame a preferred customer and now get it direct from the factory. If you are interested, send me a personal email and i will forward the paperwork. You can buy it at dealer cost!!
    tmiller159@ispmonsters.com
  • The truck is a 2X4 with autotrans. I took it to 2 dealers and they both said the same thing. I asked them to switch out the computer on it and they said would make no difference.
    Not run a diagnostic check on it cause only got 20K miles on it. I really like the truck and the looks but every time I think of the mileage and the performance of the engine I cringe. Knew I should have gotten the SR5 V6 but tried to save a grand... thats what I get...
    I will go to the toyotanation site and see what they say... thanks for the feedback..
  • just got it can anyone tell me if you can mantinance the tranny yourself need help
    Ron, definitely go to Toyota Nation, and put tons of details up there, including vehicle history.

That's awfully low odometer mileage, for 6 year old truck.... which is fine, or is it?

It might also suggest the vehicle usage hasn't been "full range", and maybe the fuel system is getting cruddy. Has it been on the highway, driven fairly hard? If not, how long since it has>

Toyota trucks, treated right, are not usually a problem.... with the exception of the early Tacoma "frame death", which mine had.

160, 000 miles, and I didn't even take that good care of it, other than running Amsoil in the crank. Thing purrrred. 3.4 v6

Pour a can of Sea Foam into a tank of gas, and see if that helps. Also, are you getting your fuel from a reputable gas station.... one that also moves a lot of fuel?
  • I have a 2003 Tacoma Extended Cab 2WD with 40,000 miles on the original tires. They are Firestone Wilderness HT P205 75R15 97s M+S. They are rated at 60,000 miles, and still have good tread. However, I am beginning to shop for replacements. Can anyone recommend good replacements (competitor or otherwise). I live in Florida, and I drive mostly on improved roads and highways with very little off road driving. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.