Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Tacoma (2004 and earlier)

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Good answer. Since another friend recently got a 2003 Tacoma and also has a 1998 Sienna, I'll have to write him to see which engine he has in the Tacoma.
        Ford will soon go the route of Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, Nash, DeSoto, Plymouth, Edsel, etc. if the buying decisions of my friends are any indicator of a trend in the general population.
        Americans will not continue to buy unreliable, shoddy merchandise when Toyota quality is an option.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I installed a versacover (aka undercover) hard tonneau. Very happy with it. Weighs less than 50 lbs, is easily removable, installed in less than 45 minutes, is durable, and the cost was less than $600.

I have a vortex spray in liner. It is OK. After having it installed I've seen some older Vortex liners that do not look like they handle weather well.

Oil change? 5k with synthetic seems early to me. I would say 7500 miles with synthetic.

Seats are a weak point in the Tacoma. Beard or Corbeau offer replacement seats that have good reviews from Tacoma owners.

During the summer I drive in 4 Hi every once in a while on dry pavement. Only in a straight line, at low speeds and for a short distance (200 ft) to keep everything lubricated.
    www.ltsportcover.com looks like a winner for a tonneau if you want a painted one. I have no personal experience with this one. I was going to get this one before I found out about the Versacover.
  • moparbad,

I saw a truck last year that had a Vortex Liner and became interested because it seemed like it was harder than a rhino but less rough than a line-x.

Could you elaborate for me what you like and don't like about it? Is yours colored? What are the weathering problems you saw?

Thanks,

Cyberdad Steve
    Harder than a rino and less rough than a Line-X is an accurate description. I have no current problems with the product. There were two vehicles at the installer that were coated with Vortex material and they both had chalking and color loss on the areas exposed to sun and elements. The texture was much rougher and more sand paper like and if you rubbed it your hand would have black residue on it.
    I commented on this and asked if there was UV protectant in the product. Answer was no. Since my truck will have a tonneau that covers the sprayed surface on it for 95% of the time I went ahead and had the liner sprayed.
    I've seen Rhino and other brands chalk out after a year or two in the sun also, but this is with early spray in liners and I'm pretty sure that current Rhino and Line-X have UV protectant incorporated into the liner material.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Hi folks, I just started following the Tacoma forum as I am thinking of buying a 1998-2000 Tacoma Prerunner. I'd like your opinions on a few questions. The truck will replace a '98 V6 Mustang, which is primarily driven by my 18 yr. old son. He now primarily drives a Suzuki crotch rocket (vroom vroom) and has lost interest in the Mustang and has also expressed interest in trucks. I also have a 15 yr. old som who will be driving soon. I'm looking for a safe reliable vehicle for my kids that can easily be driven by anyone in my family (wife included), is easy to do basic maint. items. Actually I'm a Honda man, but they don't sell trucks and the local Toyota dealer is a royal pain. Would you recommend the 4 or 6 cyl. prerunner? Is the back seat big enough for one 6' teen ager?
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    Are you looking at the Xtra cab? If so, the back seat does not fit a 5' female for very long.

I have a 4 banger 5 speed 2WD 2000 Tacoma (not a Prerunner) and find it adequate for most of my needs. I drive up steep freeway grades (the I-5 Grapevine is part of my daily commute) in 4th gear because it won't hold 70 mph in 5th. It doesn't have much grunt at lower RPMs but does fine higher up. I would not want to have the same engine in an automatic, so if that is a consideration, get the 6.

It is easy to drive, and ours has been reasonably reliable. I can get 28-30 mpg with almost all freeway or mountain rural road driving. It won't turn on a dime, but isn't all that hard to park (nothing is as easy to park as my Wrangler).

I would also recommend taking a longer than normal test drive. The 2000 has very uncomfortable seating for me (my husband isn't as uncomfortable) which I didn't realize until about a month after we bought it. I understand that they changed the seating in either 2001 or 2002, but the best thing to do is try it for yourself.
  • mikefm58,

I have an extra cab, 1998. The seats in the back are rapidly becoming too small for my two 10 year olds, much less my 13 year old. Crack open the wallet and get the DC or a used Tundra with the rear opening doors. I have sat in them and they are reasonably comfortable. You will not be happy with only an extra cab. I do like the Pre-runner option, except for the automatic only transmission.
  • I am considering buying a Truck Tool Box for my boyfriend for Christmas. He has a 2000 Toyota Tacoma. I talked to his friend and got some ideas: Locking on the side, that diamond material that doesn't rust, and something that doesn't go all the way to the bed of the truck in case he's carrying something long and wants to put it under it. The problem - I have NO CLUE what to look for in a brand, where to shop for one, etc. So I thought I'd come here were people probably know alot more than I, to get some tips/ideas/help on where and what to get. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions. I can't find a site that rates them, lists them or that I can plug criteria into!

Thanks!!!
  • mralanmralan Posts: 174
    Who drives a Tacoma because they believe it's the most reliable vehicle on the planet?

I believe if you research CRs and other periodicals you'll find out that Tacomas are the most reliable vehicle (especially the 4 cylinders). Of course several Toyota vehicles(Corolla & Camry) have reputations of being very reliable but being RWD Tacoma rules.

BTW, I don't own a Tacoma ... but I will.
    But there is more to a good vehicle than just reliability. My 2000 Tacoma has been very reliable over it's 136,000 miles, but it isn't very comfortable, especially for trips more than about 45 minutes. If I had realized how uncomfortable they were, I wouldn't have bought mine. Of course, they changed the seating the year after I bought mine...
  • Amen to that!
  • I learned to appreciate reliability after that fiasco I had with the ranger. 30k miles and in the shop twice every month. I've now got 18k on the Tacoma. By far the best vehicle I've ever had.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    I think I got a first problem with my Taco....30K miles, I may have warped rotors slightly, so I got noisier brakes. Haven't been to a mechanic for any other repair (other than caused by myself) since the day I bought it.
    Just goes to show that not everything is "it's supposed to knock like that".
  • I've got a Better Built box on mine, and am very happy with it. I got it at Lowes, if they have those where you're living, and bought a mounting kit that doesn't require drilling to install it. The mounting kit keeps it from "walking off" while you are at the mall or somewhere. Overall, I have been very happy with it. I does fit over the rail, so a topper won't work with it installed, but it does have space underneath it, so you can cram some stuff up in there. Keep in mind that the bed is only six feet long anyway, so a sheet of plywood won't fit in it without the bed open anyhow. And this type mounting system (it is sold right next to the boxes) won't work with an over the rails bed liner. Host, if I can't say the name of the store I got it at, let me know and I'll tell her some other way.
  • You didn't miss much in the 2001 Tacoma seat changes. My 2001 seats are killers. I can't decide if replacement seats (for example, from Performance Products) or toughing it out till trade in is the right way to go.
    Every time I get serious about getting new seats I get thinking I can stand them for another 6 months when I'll be able to trade it in. It seems like I've been thinking that for 2 years, and I still can't afford to get rid of it. Maybe in the spring we'll so something about it - it is still in good shape.
  • sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    who doesn't think that Tacoma seats are THAT bad?
    I did a number of 10-11 hr drives and a 17 hr drive in last 1.5 years, and did not have any problems with seats in my 2002 (same as 2001).
  • I never noticed a problem with the seats of my reg. cab tacoma (2002). I'm actually more comfortable in them than in my old reg. cab ranger. That's probably due to more knee room because I now have a tilt steering wheel.