Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• This thread is like a breath of fresh air. So I'm not imagining things.
    I have had my '03 Turbo GT at the dealer for a total of 4 weeks this year for this exact problem: idles rough or dies at stop. Because the computer isn't reporting anything wrong (i.e. no error codes reported even on the dealer installed "co-pilot" logging device) the dealer can't diagnose the problem. They have seen the problem; have had the car die while they are driving it (they have put over 500 miles on it in their possession this year), but they can not diagnose the failure. Corporate is absolutely no help. The District Manager told me last week to, "come pick up your vehicle, we will not waste any more money on a rental for you." The car is still under warranty.
    I don't know what else to do. Any assistance or advice will be much appreciated. :cry: :mad:
  • We have an '03 PT base model with 62,000 miles, am having to add coolant regularly. I suspect water pump. Anyone here have any installing or having installed a water pump?

We have been round and round with 'missing' power steering fluid, which (after about 40,000 miles of trying to find it), dealer finally states it is leaking from rack and pinion.
  • amoleamole Posts: 1
    I just bought 2002 Touring ith 53k on it, and recently on a road trip was given a 0301 error code-sometimes it bucks a little leading out of a dead stop (especially hen the AC is on), and recently it popped when i had to gun it in traffic. i plan to get the plugs and wires replaced, but my question is does anyone know if i can ride a little longer this way? i have to go on an important small road trip and won't have a chance to take care of it until i get back. it hasn't given me any reason to think it's gonna lose power, but i don't know enough about misfires to know if i can chance it.
  • I bought my silver PT 2001 in June of this year from the original owner with 48,000 mi. He bought a 2005 red one and the dealer wouldn't give him what he thought the 2001 was worth on trade-in, so he advertised (extensively) privately and I bought it. Things have happened since then:
    The "check engine" light went on soon after I got the car, but it went out.
    A week after I bought the car, after being parked in an outdoor lot, the car started, but all the electrical systems up the middle refused to work -- indoor lights, windows, radio, etc. The air bag light went on and did not go off. We were able to drive home, but it was kinda rough with no A/C in July! Next day, everything was fine -- as if nothing had happened. But new extra added attraction -- the check engine light was back and wouldn't leave.
    Took it to the mechanic and he put in on the computer -- no problem detected. He took it to the dealer for me to his "connection" there and I wound up with a rebuilt computer in my car at 10% the cost of the car! Didn't quelch the check engine light, which in November is still there. Since the computer found no fault in the car, I've continued to drive it.
    Sometimes the remote doesn't open the doors, but since the key always works, I didn't worry about it. However, yesterday the button on the door would not open or lock the doors, nor would the remote. Took the car to the mechanic today and the door buttons all work properly, as does the opening of the doors with the key in the lock. Remote not happening, though.
    Does anyone have any information on any of these problems? I've called owners of other 2001 PT LTD listed in the newspaper for sale, asking them for the truth since I've already purchased MY car.... and none of them have encountered the check engine problem.
    Thanks for your input.
    Best,
    Kay
  • Hello all,
    I was hoping someone could help me out. I recently got a used 2004 PT Cruiser, however the owner did not have the keyless remotes. The dealer wants $45 for a remote and another $42 to program it. Can I buy one off of ebay (I see them for $15) and program it?
    Any info is greatly appreciated.

Dave
  • Dave,
    From what I read in the manual and the information I got from my mechanic, each PT Cruiser is an "individual," with unique "fingerprints." You MUST have the remote programmed by Chrysler for your particular car. Buying a remote which was programmed for another car for $15, then having the dealer program it for YOUR car for $42, saves you $30, less whatever shipping is involved in receiving the remote from eBay. Why bother?
    As I've discovered in the few months I've owned my PT Cruiser, Chrysler pretty much has their vehicles enslaved to their particular computers.... I'm really missing my 1986 Caravan, which had a mind of its own!
    Best,
    Kay
  • Thanks Kay, appreciate the info. Guess I am stuck with the insane dealer prices should I decide to get the remotes.
  • art17art17 Posts: 2
    Glad you asked that question I am wondering same thing bought my PT Nov of 2004 its a 2005 and have only 4900 miles on it and don't know if I should take in like you also ...was hoping someone would have answered your question.
  • art17art17 Posts: 2
    To be honest sidnee I also thought of buying a convertable but didnt and for one reason the insurance was so much higher for the convertable...and as far as blind spots well you will have them on any model you purchase somewhat but I am aware and have had no problem. but I must say I love my car !!!!! so good luck if you buy one I have had nothing but a great experince so far with mine NO PROBS!!!!
  • My husband had the same problem with his 2001 PTC. He discovered that the chrome plating was chipping off the rims and cutting into the tires. He went out and got some nice brushed aluminum rims at an auto parts store.
  • Change your rims. The chrome plating is cutting into your tires.
  • Has anybody heard about any group litigation involving a PT Cruizer club and abnormal oil consumption?
  • I just put new tires on and they are still going flat. The chrome really isn't peeling anwhere visable. Would this still be the rims
  • kath4kath4 Posts: 1
    I bought my pt cruiser in march, everything has been fine, the other day we were driving and the air bag light came on, the windows, the heater, A/C, and the rear demister wouldn't work. As we got a bit further the light went off and everything was working. We took it to the dealer and he said it could be looked at in the next couple of days, when we drove home it went out, the dealer cant check it unless the light is on. But since then it has come on a few times and then gone off, the dealer didn't seem too concerned I think they know about it and it is just a fault, or does anyone else have any answers?
  • Go to your tire store and have them check for leaks. Make sure they use a device to hold the entire wheel and tire combination under water.

I've had one rim leak in 45 years. The leak was not near the edge, but was almost in the center of the rim. A new rim took care of the problem.

Some brands/models of tires seem to hold air better than others. I've had some (all four tires) that needed air every two or three weeks and others that seemed to go for months without needing any.

If the problem is not a rim, try using nitrogen instead of air in your tires. Nitrogen does not 'leak' out as fast because the molecules are larger. A side benefit is the tires tend to run cooler.
  • I just purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser. I've noticed about 2 minutes after starting down the road the electric door locks, lock themselves." Would be interested in any feed back before I have to go to the mechanic. I recently moved and haven't found one I feel comfortable with. Thanks, Misteek
  • Ahh so you want info, I have had lots of problems since i purchased it NEW!... The First week, I noticed that the back part of the window was missing, So i had them replace that it took about 3 weeks to order. The second time the back door froze. You could not open the door from the inside or the outside, aparently when i took mine in so did someone else. This took 6 weeks to get the part.and the door is still jacked. Next were the tires, Good year, it seperated, so it was replaced. Then at 20,000 it needed new brakes, then again at 40,000. all highway miles. Then 2 more good year tires separated, 41,000, and good year knew they had a problem and did not recall the tires but pulled them off the market. Then i needed new front bearings, Now at 51,000, I need a rack and pinion, struts,ball joint,the boots are also torn, and some other things the mechanic told me.. This car is costing me more then i thought.. I take good care OF it.. it gets the oil changed every month, gets the water cleaned every 6 months, I am scared that this car will not last me the lennght of the loan!... I would not buy one again.. Very Cheaply made.. and i have always tried to buy Chrysler, only one time in the last 30 years did I own something else. Now i am not so sure about them. if you have any questions please contact me.. THank you
  • Oh yeah and I forgot about the emergency brake breaking and had to get a new switch for that. some sensor.
  • I have a 2004 PT and my goodyear tires were causeing that and 3 of them seperated..
  • dwlingdwling Posts: 11
    My 2001 PT Cruiser Limited locks the doors automatically when the car reaches at around 15 km/h. This is normal. Many good European cars are made like this. I like this safety feature.

I had encountered a couple of electrical problems with the PT. In fact, my present PT is my second one. The first one had transmission problem on the first day. The dealer (very decent indeed) gave me another new PT as replacement. Another time, my PT's door locks would unexpectedly open and shut repeatedly while I was driving. The dealer changed something and there has been no more electrical problems.

I had bad experience with my original Goodyear (GY) tires. Even the tires were quite new, I felt my car was pulled to the right all the time. Chrysler dealer blamed it on the GY tires. GY agent blamed the dealer for not knowing how to balance the tires. After being thrown back and forth for a couple of times, I decided to change the tires to Michelin Energy MXV 4 plus. I am very satisfied with them.

Last summer I drove over 7500km (my speedometer is in km. 1 US mile = 1.6 km) from Vancouver (YVR) to LAX via the US Rockies (i.e. Yellowstone NP, Bryce and Zion NPs) and returned to YVR by highways 1 and 101. My PT performed very well. It was very steady and stable even at the speed between 70 and 100 mph. During the trip, I saw far more PTs on the highways than the luxury cars.

My only complaint now is the clicking noises of all the 4 windows. The Chrysler dealer had fixed them a few times and the noises have been reduced. The present position is that there are still some annoying clicking noises coming up from time to time, but somehow I could not duplicate them to the mechanics during the short drives.
This discussion has been closed.