Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf R32

I've been following the progress of VW bringing the R32 version of the Golf to the U.S. By all accounts it appears to be a done deal. The "R" to VW is what the "S" is to Audi or "M" is to BMW. We should start seeing R versions of other VW models.

Enough of all that - The R32 is a 241 HP all wheel drive Golf hatchback with many performance upgrades here are some links:

The German R32 website (turn your speakers up):

http://www.vw-online.de/golf/popup_r32_flash.htm

Here is one I ran accross today:

http://www.city-net.com/~bcasey/R32_Front_2_Back.swf

Here is an article from Autoweek about the U.S. release of the R32:

Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder confirmed to AutoWeek the performance-oriented R32 Golf is indeed coming to the U.S. market. We last reported a decision on whether to sell the car stateside was dependent on whether it could meet U.S. crash standards.

Apparently, the car passed the tests because now Pischetsrieder is saying the R32 will arrive within the next year as a 2004 model.

The R32’s launch date depends upon how quickly the car can be adapted to meet U.S. certification standards, he says.

Expect 5000 to 10,000 R32s priced somewhere between $25,000 and $30,000 to be earmarked for the United States, although Pischetsrieder left the door open for more if demand exists. Technical changes from the 237-hp European R32 will be limited only to those required under U.S. standards.

5,000 to 10,000!!! starting at $25k!!! Sign me up!!! Seriously - I called my dealer to inquire and they have gotten word from VW that the R32 will be here around next summer. I dropped my GTI off at my dealer for service today, I'm writing a deposit check for an R32 when I pick it up. All I want is a base R32 with Xenons - no leather, no climatronic, no sunroof

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for the news and links!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• Here is a link to the AutoWeek article on the R32:

Performance-oriented R32 Golf is U.S.-bound, Volkswagen chief says

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=vw&cat_code=v_home&loc_code=index&content_code=04359659

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Here's some more information from Edmunds' Future Vehicles: Volkswagen Golf R32 Sport Hatchback. Let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• zhdzhd Posts: 18
    A strong competition will come from the new Nissan 350Z, even though they are not that similar, they are both for the enthusiasts. I am not sure whether they could find so many VW/GTI fans who's willing to pay more than $25k for this car. I wish they could improve the interior design so as to add more value to this new pocket rocket.

Don't take me wrong, I am driving a '02 Golf and willing to trade it in for R32 if the dealer won't rip me off.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    The competition is from Subaru. If they price it in direct competition with the WRX it will be OK. I read it is not nearly as sharp of a driving tool, but the more luxurious ride will win out plenty of buyers.
  • I'd say the main competition for the R32 will be the WRX STi and the Lancer Evo VII. For me the R32 has lots of advantages - mainly the hatchback configuration. I have a fairly heavily modified 02 GTI 1.8t with 230 HP and 235 lb ft of torque, plus quite a few suspension mods - this car needs all wheel drive. My 02 is as powerful as I'm going to make it with front wheel drive, it is a challenge to launch it without laying rubber for several feet. The other advantage the R32 has over my 02 is the independent rear suspension and Konig sport seats.

I'd seriously look at taking the R32 to 300 HP with a supercharger - I'll bet Z engineering is developing an R32 supercharger as I write this.

I really like my modified 02 GTI 1.8t - it would take something like the R32 to get me to trade it. I take my GTI to SCCA track events, that's mainly what it's modified for.

My dealer is taking deposits on the R32, I plan to get on the waiting list before the year is out.
  • I'm a German sports car enthusiast and welcome the great news with delight! I'm currently shopping for a new vehicle but I'll wait until the R32 comes to the US next year. I'm glad that VW took this step with the R32 in the US next year. The sports compact market is a very competitive market but people will love the R32! People will be amazed to see this tricked out Golf. There is nothing like it! Believe me, I lived in Germany for 17 years and a tricked out Golf will turn lots of heads. This car will be successful as long as the pricing will be reasonable. I think that $30K would be too much money and would border the 3-series BMW line. On that topic, I think that VW followed BMW very successful concept off bringing a M3 spec to the US.
  • My dealer is telling me they've heard from VW that the R32 may be here as early as March of next year. I was expecting more like next summer or fall.

Here is an interesting read, it's the UK's R32 sales brochure scanned into a PDF - lots of interesting info in here - can't wait to see what the U.S. specification R32 will be like. This will give us some idea of what may be available over here.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/dumbworkers/Golf%20R32%20Lo-Res.pdf

• I don't think the R32 is anywhere near BMW territory at $30k. Granted you can get a very basic 325i for $30k - vinyl seats etc - an R32 would blow a $30k BMW's doors right off in every respect. The R32 doesn't have M3 performance - more like a 330is with a sport package, premium package, Xenon's etc - you're talking low to mid $40's for a 3 series that compares to the R32 in performance and content. I'd think the R32 would beat a 330 with 225 HP compared to the lighter (not by much) 240 HP all wheel drive R32.

I'm thinking a base R32 (cloth sport seats no sunroof or climatronic or rain sensing wipers will come in around the mid to upper $20's range and if you option it out with leather, sunroof, climatronic, navigation, etc. you'll be looking at the low $30's - just a guess.
    I imagine base price will be just above the WRX, as it should be. (which, lets be realistic, is the competition for this model not the EVO or STi) If VW wants to stay in the game they should probably stay away from 350Z territory.
    http://www.motorcities.com/contents/02IGE055925658.html

If Alfa Romeo return comes soon we might get one of these as well. A very lovely 250hp Alfa Romeo 147 GTA. Would challenge the Golf r32 as ultimate hot hatch USA.

• That Alfa is sweet - does some U.S. car company own Alfa now? Hard to keep up with who owns what these days. I'm guessing that it's front wheel drive from the test comments. 250 HP is a lot of power going through the front wheels. I have an 02 GTI 1.8t that has the usual (and cheap) turbo upgrades (chip, exhaust, etc.)- I currently have around 230+ HP and 235+ Lb Ft of torque. The GTI has all sorts of electronic traction aids (ASC, EDL) that are essential and annoying. That's why I'm so interested in the R32, little cars with lots of HP need all wheel or at the least rear wheel drive. The upcomming BMW 1 series will be rear wheel drive.

The R32 is the last hurrah for the VW Mk IV platform, the Mk V will be out in late 2003 or early 2004. The V will have this same drivetrain configuration available in the new platform plus the possiblility of 4Motion with the 4 cyl turbo engine.
  • I currently own a '98 GTI VR6. I signed an online petition to bring the R32 to the U.S. a while back and kind of forgot about it, thinking it might not happen. I went to my Audi/VW dealer just yesterday and asked him to find me a clean pre-owned S4. I'll be going back this weekend to cancel that and see when I can make a deposit for the R32...I'm stoked!
  • I know of a couple people that are on the waiting list and a couple on the fence. I am really looking forward to my first drive in an R32 - of course I'm planning that my second drive will be the drive home :-)

My dealer requires a $1k fully refundable deposit that will insure a place in line plus that they will sell me the R32 at MSRP.
  • vwistvwist Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the 0-60 is.
    Are there any European websites that anyone could point me to?

I understand from a dealer that only 1500 are coming.

Put in your order now!
    Engine:   Narrow-angle V6, 3189cc, 24v

Max power:   237bhp @ 6250rpm

Max torque:   236lb ft @ 2800-3200rpm

0-60mph:   6.6sec (claimed)

Top speed:   154mph (claimed

Price:   £22,340

I got this from http://www.evo.co.uk/. I really enjoy this site as well as the magazine.

• Autoweek reports that VW will import 10,000 to 15,000 R32's to the U.S. - more if the demand is there.

Here is an article from Autoweek about the U.S. release of the R32:

Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder confirmed to AutoWeek the performance-oriented R32 Golf is indeed coming to the U.S. market. We last reported a decision on whether to sell the car stateside was dependent on whether it could meet U.S. crash standards.
    Apparently, the car passed the tests because now Pischetsrieder is saying the R32 will arrive within the next year as a 2004 model.

The R32’s launch date depends upon how quickly the car can be adapted to meet U.S. certification standards, he says.

Expect 5000 to 10,000 R32s priced somewhere between $25,000 and $30,000 to be earmarked for the United States, although Pischetsrieder left the door open for more if demand exists. Technical changes from the 237-hp European R32 will be limited only to those required under U.S. standards.
  • menu1menu1 Posts: 1
    i just got off the phone with my vw dealer and he said they have no clue if or when the R32 will be here. he said they have no paperwork indicating specs, price, arrival or anything. here's hoping anyway. also i read where probably next year they will be coming out with a 4 door R32. hmmmmm
    If it comes out closer 25k I will be interested. 30k is a little much for VW to be asking for a Golf in the states IMO. Looks like fun though. Much nicer inside than the low rent Impreza.
  • Here's another R32 update from VWvortex

R32 Update - 11.19.02 7:03 AM 11-19-2002

It has been a little while since we've given an update on the R32 and here is the current scoop...
    While there is nothing official from VWoA yet, we have heard that the R32 is basically going to be coming for sure (99% sure). Board members at VWAG want the car here and barring some huge cost issue it should arrive late next summer/early fall.

Expect pricing to start below $30,000 and at least 4 colors to be available including the unique Metallic Blue seen in all the press photos. Other colors are likely to be silver, black and one other alternate to be determined.

Only the 2-door coupe will be offered here. Most all of the equipment from the German model will be offered here except for the Navigation system. There has been some talk of changing to final gear ratios for the North American market cars to help low end performance (better 0-60 mph times). In Europe the press really didn't care for the standard seats and found them uncomfortable. There is a possibility that we may get Recaros instead, but all stitching and embroidery would be the same as the German R32. No word on leather vs. cloth or interior color choices at this point. We're guessing leather and only one interior color choice.

Final production numbers are still being determined with dealers here wanting as few as possible and VWAG wanting as many as possible. Our guess is somewhere between 1,500 and 4,000 units.

Chances are good that VWoA will show the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit come January even though it won't be available till late summer.

That's all the information we have at this point.