Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf R32

Comments

• Hi there, im from Australia and thinking bout getting a r32 2004 model can anybody tell me about the maintainace on this car how costly it is ?and what are the common faults? and how is the car on fuel consumption ?their were only 200 brot into aust and about 6 04 models in the whole country for sale. can somebody anybody email me zsurtie@student.bond.edu.au

thank you
  • I love my R32-only one problem. I discovered the hard way that it has NO spare tire! Advice online suggested a TT type spare but I found that it is almost impossible to buy a spare tire-new or used.
    Good luck!
    PS
    I have an 88 Porsche Carrera and have a tough time deciding which one to drive!
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Posts: 110
    VW is now including a spare tire and wheel with the 08 R32. It is nicely stored in the trunk area under a cover, not outside the car, a very nice improvement over the 04 model.

I now have just over 2500 miles on my car and loving it. Mileage is steadily improving to about 23 mpg with about 75% highway. Can get 25 at a steady 65 mph.
  • 604doc604doc Posts: 182
    What number is yours? Mine is 2719. Gray with nav. Awesome car so far! I've got just under 500 miles on it. :D
  • tslbmwtslbmw Posts: 166
    604doc,
    So you got your new ride?? Congrats! Mine just hit 700 miles and I'm itchin to get to 1000 to try the launch control. If you mind me asking, did you get a good deal? Were you able to pull off $4K under invoice. Gray w Nav eh, you've gotta be stoked!

Congrats again. I'm loving mine.
    Apparently, you couldn't get both rebates, which I verified with another dealer. I got the car at invoice, minus $2,000, at 2.9%. They then discounted another 1500 or so to make up for the nav that I didn't want.
    I'm glad I got the nav now that I have it. It's not the most user friendly though. I really like the ipod interface, even though it doesn't display the track title on the screen, but I can skip through tracks on the ipod with the steering wheel controls.
    So far it's been great. I did have the "loose fuel cap" light come on out of the blue yesterday, but it cleared itself the next time I started it. I hadn't opened the cap in a week or so. Hopefully just a one time glitch.

It sure is hard keeping you foot out of the gas though!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,652
    Didn't you just get a GTI? What happened to that? :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Sounds like a great deal. And yeah, I agree with you on the nav system...pretty useless; however, since you got them to knock off another $1500, than a free nav sounds pretty sweet! :)

The gas cap thing was something they harped on upon delivery; and I told them I have owned VWs and Audis in the past and have grown to ignore the "check engine" light...although, I didn't realize they now have a seperate "loose fuel cap" light"...good idea VW.

In ref to the speed, I couldn't agree more. In fact my first two tanks have returned a sad 17.9 and 17.6 mpg (all around town, no interstate yet) and I know this is due to the way I'm driving it....but, I can't help it. Of course, I still have yet to use the "S" mode and have stayed inbetween 4K-5K on the tach; thus, i still haven't redlined it yet....imagine what my mpg will be when I start doing that. Oh well, I knew this when I bought it and I still love it....I just wish it had a bigger gas tank for a longer cruising range.

Enjoy your new ride and report back with an new updates (good and bad).
    Not me, I never considered the GTI due to FWD only. With all wheel drive, the R32 has no torque steer what so ever. I've never driven a GTI, but I assume there's some torque steer with it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,652
    Must have mixed you up with someone else..

Torque steer is not really an issue with the GTI, that I can tell..

But, congrats on the new car! Those are great deals!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

I agree we should keep some dialogue going. Since it's a limited production car, there won't be a whole lot of traffic on this thread.
    I've been trying to be careful with the gas pedal. I haven't tried launch mode, or a real heavy Sport mode take off yet either. But I really want to!
    Gas mileage is a bit low, but my other vehicle which this replaced, is a '98 Cherokee, which I've never gotten over 14mpg except for long freeway trips which I seldom make. I kept the Jeep as a second vehicle for house hold chores, really bad weather, etc.
    Since the gas cap light incident, I've driven it 2 or 3 times without a problem.
    What number did you say yours was?
    Thanks kyfdx! :D

I was in the exact same boat as you in ref to the torque steer. I have owned an A3 2.0T and although the tug on the steering wheel is not as bad as say a Mini Cooper S, it is certainly noticeable. And I've got to say that I am pretty much done with FWD cars. The AWD in the R32 is really perfect. It provides the confidence in take off and around the corners that I crave. Like I've said before, i believe this car is the perfect balance of luxury, speed, grip & style for the price point of $30K. However, it is no doubt a niche car...but that niche was perfect for me....C&D put it best: its either a bargain TT 3.2 Quattro with practicality (read, backseat) or an overpriced GTI...depends on your point of view.
    I've got 1600 miles on my car and decided to try out the launch control this past weekend....wow....impressive! What really surprised me were the rpms hitting over 7K when the redline is 6.5K. Obviously, this is ok for the engine....I guess.... :confuse:

Anyway, quite a fun experience. I love the way the car "squats" just before take off...like a tiger ready to pounce....good times :shades:
    I'm traveling for business right now, but can't wait to get back and drive the R again. I just passed 600 miles, and I'm looking forward to trying the launch control. The manual says that recommended break in is 600 miles, so I think I'm go for launch! :D
    Yeah, I read the same thing, but decided to wait until after 1000 miles. Then I had to take a couple of short trips last week that pushed me over 1600 and I knew it was definitely time.

It is really a cool feature; make sure you find some nice open road to try it out. Let me know how it goes.
    Last week, when I started the car for the second time that day, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it right to the dealer. They checked a bunch of stuff, and reset the light. They said that no codes had been stored. It's been fine since, but so far I've had two "fuel cap" lights, and one "check engine" light come on for no apparent reason, with less than 1000 miles on the car. I'm not too worried...yet. :sick:
    Ok, I've gotta ask the obvious question...you are "clicking" the gas cap at LEAST 3 times after each fill up, correct? I'm sure you are, but isn't that the reason that light would come on. I've got about 2500 miles on mine now and have not had any of the warnings lights (except Please Refuel!) come on. I'm sure it's nothing, but keep us posted.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    I'd have to agree. Look for the simplest explanation first and that's usually the gas cap being loose. If you're sure that you're properly closin the cap, I'd check the cap itself and make sure that there's no damage that's preventing a seal.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

After the fuel cap light came on for the 3rd time, I brought it in while the light was still on. They checked it again and they ordered some kind of valve. When I bring it back to get it installed, I'll report back with the details.
    The first time it happened, I thought maybe I did leave the cap loose, or didn't click it, etc. The second and now 3rd time it happened, I hadn't touched the cap, hadn't filled up etc., since the last time the light came on. I was just driving along, with about a half a tank of gas or so, suddenly I hear "bing", and looked down to see the light on.
    The vw mechanic explained that there are several components in the system that will result in the light coming on. I go back on the 23rd, so I'll let everyone know what happens.
    BTW, he also said that after 2 or 3 "fuel cap" lights in a given time, it will trigger the "check engine" light to come on, so that part makes sense.