Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf R32

Comments

• nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    GM owns a portion of Fiat, which owns Alfa. Fiat is losing huge amounts of money, which could result in GM owning the rest of that millstone.
  • The R32 will be the first VW to get the new DSG sequential shift transmission, appears to be more sophisicated than BMW's SMG...

Wolfsburg. Volkswagen presents a world-wide technical innovation: the sporty and economical direct-shifting 6-speed automatic gearbox "DSG”. This especially dynamic form of power transmission with integrated dual clutch will be used for the first time in the Golf R32 in the first quarter of next year. Its use will be extended to other production series in the course of the year 2003.

Full article:

www.movin2fast.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=61&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
  • o2h2oo2h2o Posts: 10
    OK, finally Germany sends us something more than just a VR-6 this time. OK, so how can we get more appreciation from VW-DE, like more available options! It's not like America hasn't bought enough of there cars?! I really would like to see a 4 door R32 with Navigation here by next year. I don't think I'm asking for much, at least give us the option to order the extras that they have available in Germany!!! But seriously, I love the fact they've finally given us the AWD V6 Golf! $28K for a fully loaded 2 door sounds pretty practical. To go over that price they may as well keep it, like Germany always have...
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    If its available here, I'd much rather have it over the R32. Also 3.2L, AWD. Being Italian, the engine would sing more, the suspension more responsive. And it has a body to die for. Dont start talking Teutonic reliability, we in the States know thats just a rumor!
  • idletaskidletask Posts: 171
    The Alfa 147 GTA is FWD!
  • Seems the R32 will most likely be coming to the US, but we will probably not see the 4-door version, at least at first. I don't know why, but that's what I'm hearing. Plus, the car will not be available with the navigation system either, again, at least initially.

As for other choices potentially coming to market. The R32 will not compete with the STi WRX or the Evo, both pricier and much more powerful than the R32, look for the R32 to compete against the base WRX and the version of the Lancer expected to be slotted between the base model and the Evo, meant to compete with the WRX.

As for cars from other makers which may make it to our shores. The Alfa looks ugly to me, plus it's FWD meant to compete with these other AWD vehicles. See a link to pics here http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/gallery/alfa/147.htm

What I'd like to see offered here in the US is the Audi S3. The S3 looks great, in my opinion better than the Golf/GTI much sleeker. It offers the 1.8T engine 6-speed trans and AWD. Basically it's an Audi TT with a different body shell. It could fit into this price range as well and with 225HP plus AWD it will compete well. Pictures available here http://stefans3.tripod.com/index.html

I don't expect VW AG to offer the S3 here, however, especially with the R32 on it's way. They are too similar power-wise and likely price-wise, plus Audi would have a hard time selling TT's if there were a car availible with the same powertrain and of similar size available for less money.

• idletaskidletask Posts: 171
    It may be a FWD but it has the means to transfer its power to the ground. In fact it's as good as the Golf at this game... Even though the Golf R32 suspension is sport tuned, it has the eternal VW defect of being too weak in detent... A defect that is absent from the Alfa. If the Golf didn't have the Haldex system it would have serious traction problems, just as the 130hp and 150hp TDI Golfs.
  • Don't get me wrong, I love my WRX, but... The R32 is just the type of car I was hoping for. Well, actually I'd prefer the Beetle RSi at the same price point suggested for the R32. Personally, I'm very excited, but like others have said, I'll have to see just how much. If it's over $30K I'm afraid the 2003 Cobra might win over my power hungry side. I'm still miffed at Subaru redesigning the Impreza so soon. Also, I've been less then impressed with Subaru's 5M transmission.
    -Leland
  • It's been awhile since I've been here - glad to see all the interest in the R32.

I don't mean to torture you guys but check this out-

R32 Sounds:

Anfahrt

Motor

Vorbeifahrt

Commercial-Clip:

Video

OMG - I'm moving to Germany tomorrow - I can't wait another second

A TDI Golf GLS costs in the USA about 18K and that's almost exactly what it's sold for in Germany. So, after visiting http://www.vw-online.de I've found that the R32 costs about 32K$ there; therefore, we're most likely going to see the same price here!!! WOW, I think I may pass and get an Acura CL Type-S, the girls seem to like that more ; )
  • My guess is very high 20's to $30k. That $32k price is with leather, climatronic, Nav, rain sensing wipers, etc.. Maybe VW will take some of the fluff off and make it cheaper.

The VW dealers have officially been told the R32 will arrive in the U.S. late next summer. My dealer thinks the R32 will come one way, no options available, just choose color. They haven't heard how it will be equipped, just that it's definately coming.
  • I would rather see an up to date incarnation of the late great VW Corrado. I think VW could do this with the MK5, next gen platform, which has a fully independent suspension. It could be priced similiar or a little lower than the TT but would be more of a driver's car. An all business VW sports car that would dine on RSX Type S's and WRXs and offer BMW performance/amenities/engineering at a lower price.

I just have a bad feeling about the R32 that I didn't have with the special edition GTI, the "337." I hope dealers aren't in a Passat W8 situation again and know how to market and sell this special edition Golf.

And I just hope they can bring it in under 30k, loaded or unloaded cause there has been a lot of great new cars introduced in this segment of late....
    I agree with you rickrover, that the 32K price is with it more loaded. The price should be under 30K, and I do belive that we will only get a limited version/qty like the 337. It's way more simpler for them to send us cars with limited pkg's and quantity. But it sucks for us, as VW enthusiasts.

Nonetheless, I realllllllllllly would love to have one with DSG, I can pass on the four door, navigation system, etc...

I'm almost sure we won't see any models with the DSG's brought here!
  • I am VERY surprised that Volkswagen would bring over the current Golf R32 to the USA market.

This is because this coming September Volkswagen will unveil the next-generation Golf/Bora/Jetta model; it would probably be cheaper for VW to wait one model year and then qualify for the US market a Golf R32 based on the new Golf model--maybe making it available in September 2004 as a 2005 model--and offer both normal six-speed manual and DSG sequential-manual transmissions for the car.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Your not going to see a new Golf or Jetta until 2005 model year. Not in US/Canada anyway.
    We usually get a car a year later than what is released in Germany. This is pretty much a fact. So, you'll most likely not see the new models till 2005.

However, VW is aware of this fact, and they are promising a whole new way of selling to outside markets. They are suppose to re-vamp their whole system here by 2005, from marketing to servicing...

I think they're making a great effort to do this, because of the significant increase in demand for VW's globally.
  • I've heard 05 for the MKV in the U.S. as well - it wouldn't be unheard of for VW to keep certain models of the MkIV around for a couple years past 05 - look at the Cabrio - that was a MkIII Golf that is just now being replaced by the Beetle Cabrio. VW could keep the IV R32 around after the V appears.

The MKV Golf will more than likely have the R32 drivetrain configuration plus a 6 speed 4cyl 2.0 liter turbo AWD configuration available as well. I've read that the V will have knee air bags and foam filled doors (for better side crash protection) plus a redesigned front suspension with multilink rear suspension. The AWD suspension in the R32 has a fully independent rear suspension.
    OK, I believe that if we get the R32 it will come in one color (Blue), only in a 6 speed (no DSG), and maybe a leather seating option...

Now, the basic R32 costs about $22,340 in England, so we shouldn't be charged more than $25,500 (Includes retail and destination mark-up), but who knows??? It seems to me that other countries loves our dollar, but leave us with only the "simple" models. I really think we should be able to special order any vechicle made by VW or any other manufacturer. To sell special models to select countries, to me, is pretty underappreciated/rude!

Nonetheless, I got an email from VW-USA today, I really wasn't happy with their response! On 12/20 the people at VW of America Inc. wrote this to me:

"The R32 Golf is currently being preliminarily explored by Volkswagen of America Inc., and Volkswagen Canada Inc. for possible inclusion into our model lineup. As this model is not an available US or Canadian model, we would not be able to provide you with any information on it specifically for these markets."

The word "preliminarily" seems to make me very uncomfortable. Maybe my thoughts of never buying a VW again is just preliminary?! Even after owning three so far...

Good luck to the hopeful,
    John
  • I wouldn't read a whole lot into that response. VW is just being tight lipped is my guess. We should know more in January - there is supposed to be an R32 at the Detroit auto show. If there is one there maybe VW will make an announcement on it coming to the U.S.. If there isn't an R32 there then I'd tend to agree with you.

My dealer swears that they heard from VW that the R32 is coming here - 4 people on the waiting list so far.