Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lok888lok888 BostonPosts: 1,775
    Can you tell me when, where (pothole, turns and even on flat surface) and how much vibration that you feel? And on what part of the car? I think I do feel vibration when I test drove the LX 4WD. I was just driving at 30 to 40 mph on the some city and country roads. When I hit a small pothole or uneven road surface, I feel vibration or bumps. It was not strong enough. I felt the same way as I drive my sister-in-law '00 Odyssey. The four-wheel independent suspension and front & rear stabilizer bar are great for this car. Maybe I will test drive again on highways. BTW, which type of 4WD (part-time with 2H, 4L & 4H or full-time with TOD) you recommend for the Sorento? I guess full-time is the only choice with luxury package.
  • I have the EX Luxury with TOD AWD. The vibration can be felt in the steering wheel and on the floorboard. It is not abnoxious, but I can feel it. It is a very high frequency vibration which makes me think it is engine related (possibly a balance or motor mount issue). I'm going to take it on a road trip this weekend so I'll be able to get a better feel of it. At that point I will determine whether or not I want to take it into the dealership.
  • About this vibration, I feel it when I begin to accelerate, about 850rpm-1100rpm or so. I feel it on the seat bottom, not the wheel. Once I get up to speed I have no problems.It happens on turns, straight aways, It does not feel like it is coming from the engine. It feels more like a rear end vibration.
    I do recommend the Sorento. It has great value and I feel confident that Kia has done their homework and did a fine job. I considered a RX300, too pricey same with the MDX. This gave me the comfort, performance and appearance I look for. You can't beat the warranty, which is another reason why I went for it, Look at how far Hyundai has come. They now build pretty good cars. Good luck.
  • schip1schip1 Posts: 97
    fmunoz1069, we have a 4x2 EX, almost just like yours, except ours also has the auto load leveling option. I haven't experienced anything like you described, so you certainly should keep your eyes on this possible defect (or annoyance) and get it taken care of before the 10 year warranty runs out :)

We've had ours for a little more than 3 weeks and it's only been driven to and from work, 70 miles round trip, mostly California freeways. It has approx 1,500 miles on it now and I haven't felt any sort of vibrations or shudders or anything. About the only thing I've noticed is that sometimes (usually when leaving work and temp is maybe 50 degrees), it shifts into reverse with a noticeable 'thump'. But that thumping sound is all relative. There have been times when it shifts into gear so quietly and smoothly, I need to look at the dash indicators to make sure it is actually in gear!

I couldn't agree with you more that the Sorento is a GREAT value. When I was adding it to our insurance policy and our agent read the Bill of Sale, he couldn't believe the entire package was less than $25,000 (before tax and license).

Within this past month, two co-workers bought a new Camry and a new Passat. I know I'm bias, but I gotta say, as nice as the other two cars are, the Sorento makes a more dramatic first impression....both exterior and interior. The Sorento may have less horsepower, but IMHO, its fit and finish is SUPERIOR to either of the other two cars! The Sorento also has more standard features.

Well....here's 'good luck' to our cars and hope your vibration problem doesn't get worse and if it does, it'll get fixed right the first time.
    I going to test drive one this weekend. I hope this is not a widespread problem or not even a problem. I doubt this came from the engine. The Sedona also has the DOHC 3.5 V6 engine.
  • WELL I SPOKE WITH MY DEALER/AUTO BYTEL AND GAVE HIM MY ORDER EX WITH LUXURY PACKAGE /ABS/CARGO TRAY... IVE ALREADY WENT FOR ONE TEST DRIVE LOVE THE SUV... HAVE A SANTA FE AND IM CONVINCED ABOUT THE HYUNDAI, AND I FEEL SAFE.... WITH KIA SINCE IT AND HYUNDAI ARE NOW ONE IF THE THE SORENTO IS BUILT AS SOLID AS THE SANTE FE , I KNOW I WILL BE VERY SATIFIED WHEN I GET IT...
  • Kia-Lada get it..and a Lexus!!!i suggest to lay down, take a couple of tylenols and let that thought go away.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Posts: 1,538
    Have you tried rotating the tires?

If so, did that help?

Otherwise, have you asked the dealership to rebalance the tires? Check alignment?

Let us know how you make out on this.
  • I have had the tires rotated and re balanced. That is not the problem, I mean that was a different vibration (50-60 mph.), and by doing that I don't have that vibration any more. I have driven other Sorento's and they do the same thing. It only occurs at acceleration, like when the light turns green and you don't stomp on the gas pedal. So since other vehicles do it I guess it is a regular characteristic of the vehicle. I have a 2wd so I am not sure if 4wd's do this as well. I'll keep on reading to see if anyone has heard of this and I wish we can find a Kia tech that can join in on some of this stuff..
    Maybe those who has the experience can contact the Kia Consumer Affairs for comments or suggestions. Maybe they will look at the issue more seriously after receiving many calls or emails. It is no hurt to make a phone call or drop an email. After all, this is your car. By the way, I contact them about the Kia warranty when vehicles travel outside U.S. by email. They gave me the response within hours. It was great. I couldn't find this for Toyota or Honda. They only gave you the toll free number to call.
    Don't forget this is a truck, with "trucky" tires.

It WILL NOT ride like your car, and don't expect it to.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I bet this needs a Hunter 9000 balancing. '98 Rodeos had a similar problem and the ONLY fix was to have the rims and tires super super balanced @ a Hunter 9000 machine.

-mike
    Weather a car or truck, have your local Kia dealer take a look.
    fmunoz1069, I believe you when you said you've "driven other Sorento's and they do the same thing". However, I can tell you that there are some Sorentos which do NOT vibrate. As reported in post #35, ours is fine. In the main "Sorento" forum, others must have read about the vibration problem you've reported here, because some new owners have specifically said theirs do NOT vibrate.

I do hope you're able to get in touch with a KIA technical expert and get this situation resolve. I can imagine how frustrating this must be...to be a proud new owner of a nice car, only to be burdened with this problem. Good luck and keep us informed.
  • I have noticed that the vibration varies with the type of road surface I'm driving on. New asphalt seems to vibrate the most, concrete doesn't vibrate at all. I think it has to do with the tires, maybe the tread. I have the Michelin Cross Terrains. I'll double check the pressure too. That could be the culprit also.
    What about tire pressure?
  • Guys! This is a complete new vehicle. Give to the Sorento a chance. My Sorento at 80mph was vibrating. I got the wheels balanced. Now, is OK. On the EX model the tires are to big for the vehicle. I saw the LX and they are smaller. Maybe the LX owners do not have problems with vibrations. When from stop to acceleration I feel a vibration coming from the rear. I think is normal. There is another noise coming from the front end when turning the engine on and moving forward or in reverse every time, and I was told that is normal. I was told that is the steering system charging. I got the problem that when I am stopping my vehicle feels like my disc rotors are already glazed and need to be resurface. It just has 2500 miles. About the vibration on the front end, the only thing I can do is to install a steering damper. It will help. I am going to complain about the tires and see if the dealership will replace them for a size smaller. I don't know, anyway, good luck to all.
    I'm not sure if I'm just lucky or totally oblivious to vibrations and strange sounds. Ours is an 4x2 EX with 1,800 miles on it and thus far, no problems at all.....no vibrations, no problems with brakes, no unusual noises. Having said this, I sure hope the tranny doesn't fall off when I back out of the garage tomorrow morning!

Talking about the big tires on the EX....just so as to familiarize myself in a non-emergency situation, I took out the spare tire this weekend. Lowering and raising it was easy enough. The hard part was dragging it out from under the car, after it had been lowered and was sitting flat on the floor!
    Too thing is to contact your dealer and/or contact the Consumer Affairs (link from the Kia site). Make some noise! I am sure they will listen and investigate the complaints and get it fix. I am sure they don't want any bad things happen on their new SUV.
    What size are they?

They aren't 31X10.5 or similar, are they? I kind of doubt it (though if I bought one, that's what I'd likely put on there).
    Why do you insist on asking questions that you know are TOTALLY irrelivent to these discussions? It's quite annoying to those of us trying to have a mature discussion.

:(

-mike
    Please elaborate.

Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    THAT is the topic - any further digression will activate my delete button!

tidester, host
    FYI - Kia recommends 30 psi (cold) for the tires on Sorento. Found it on the side of the driver's door. 30 psi? Is it the same for most compact cars? Is the vibration cause by over inflated tires?
    Most likely the vibrations are from over inflated tires. When companies ship vehicles they over-inflate the tires so that if they sit on a dealer lot for several months + shipping time, the tires don't get out of round. 90% of dealers will forget to check the tire-pressures before delivery and you'll get em with 40psi + in them.

30psi is about right. I think my trooper takes 32 front and 37 rear as standard tire pressures. The infamous Exploders had 26psi reccommended for them.

-mike
  • Went for a 30min testdrive in a 03 Sorento this morning --EX w/ 4wd--non-lux pkg-was raining/abt 37deg f. Overall impressions: Styling is great/materials and workmanship is great( as far as I could see)--value for $ seems excellent. I wasn't too pleased w/ the powertrain and engine, though. The engine seems noisy and unrefined past 3k rpm and much of the power seems to be lost in the transmission. I'm used to driving sewing machine-like honda 4cyl's--this may be why. Overall suspension set-up seemed very comfortable but this veh dives hard under hard-braking (non-abs model tested). Overall, seems like a good value compared to other suv's on the market. Still not confident about the engine noise/whine @ 3k rpm, though. Will have to test drive a Hyundai Sante Fe 6cyl and see if it just the design.
    Problem? It has been a while to see a new post on Sorento Problem. I thought something big (like wipers not working, broken power door switch, etc) was happened. I am not sure about the engine noise and lost power. That's properly they use a 192hp V6 engine to pull this 4000 lbs. vehicle. The same engine on a mid-size sedan should be no problem. Anyway, I didn't notice any engine noise at about 3000 rpm (about 50 to 60 mph).
  • Just purchased EX with Luxury, ABS, Spoiler & Package Tray ... best value for your $$'s. Purchas price was $23,074 plus tax & license. VIBRATION ... definetly check tire pressure. My tires were at 48 psi (cold) ... lowered to 32psi much better ride.
    It's a very good price. How can they do it? The invoice for EX 4WD with no option is $22300. The dealer added $500 as a holdback. And the luxury (with T.O.D.?), ABS, spoiler and cargo tray cost additional $2.5K.
  • an EX with Luxury and ABS, Spoiler..

The Dealer wouldn't sell it for 2000 less invoice.

Most dealers don't even want to sell it for 500 over invoice. I had to haggle for 2 months to find my price of 25,500. 13 of 15 dealers in MA said they couldn't sell a Silver EX with ABS for 25,500. The lowest price was 26,200. Most wanted to sell it for MSRP because of the short supply.

Anyway, if you really got it for that price, you traded something in and got lowballed on your trade.