Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• mfiscmfisc Posts: 4
    I am looking at 07 G6. I spoke with a friend/GM mechanic first. He said that the 06 had a lot of problems with steering but hasn't seen any problems with the 07. To his knowledge, as a mechanic, the steering had been corrected. He never mentioned a brake problem. Good luck to all of us!
  • mfiscmfisc Posts: 4
    I have an appointment to check out a 2007 G6 SE1. I have done a lot of reading on these boards about the 2005 and 2006--Sorry to all of you have a ton of trouble with them.

Are there any recurring issues with the 2007? I would like to be informed before I go to the dealership so I can ask questions and know what to look for on a test drive.

Thanks for your support and knowledge!
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    fisc,if you go to the used cars reviews under pontiac g6 on this website,you will read about owners with 07 g6's haveing steering and brake issues....one owner as you will read had the steering go out with only 9,000 miles on his 07 g6...if you ask the salesmen who is helping you if the 07 g6's are still haveing steering issues he will say no because he is trying to get you to purchase the car so he can make his commision...let the user reviews on this website be the deciding factor in whether or not to purchase the g6...hope this helps.....steve
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    I got my 08 G6 about 5-6 weeks ago, and I am growing to like it, and appreciate an American car. It has gotten excellent gas mileage so far, and the interior fit and finish is pretty nice. I have the leather interior and that is quite nice and comfortable. I am quite surprised with the quality of it. This is coming from a guy who drove an 06 Accord. So coming from that to this car, was a change. The G6 rides differently, and at first, I was like, okay, whats wrong, it feels floaty, but the Accord had a stiffer ride. The G6 rides quite smooth, and I am learning how it drives, and its nice, but it took awhile to get used to it.

The 4cyl engine is breaking in better, with 1,800miles on it. I truly believe a car takes quite awhile to fully break-in. My Accord nearly took about 12k or so to really run like its supposed to. The G6 engine is not as refined at the Accord, and I am quite disappointed with the fact that is has only as 4spd transmission. It is 2008, all cars should have at least a 5spd. The Accords 4cyl, was silky smooth, but as I keep driving the G6 it is really starting to feel smoother. I wish the G6 had a better turning circle, It is not too good compared to other models.

The G6 has alot of fun factor in it, especially with the sun and sound package, with the moonroof open, and the very nice stereo system with XM, 6disc changer, Aux input, and the Onstar with navigation and voice dialing. This car is alot of fun, and at the end of the day, I truly miss my Honda, but this car is certainly much more fun. It is a fun car. This car has everything and perhaps a few more options than the 08 Honda Accord EX-L. It looks more sporty, I got the salsa red color, tinted the windows, and I get comments on my car all the time, I keep it looking good, as I take pride in my cars. The only downer is the G6 is not going to hold its value like the Honda, my 06 Accord SE went for nearly $18k on the lot and only stayed for about a week or so. Its gone! I leased it for $20k. But it had no door dings sign on it, and I had kept it looks immaculate. It looked new!

I am leasing the G6 for 3yrs, but after its all done, I am going to have a new appreciate for it, only if I don't have any major issues with it. Will I go back to Honda or go to Acura, I probably will, maybe even go to VW. I just love them. But, why not branch out and try something new. my mother has an 08 Jetta SE, and I love it!! It is fun too!! So ask yourself this, when driving your car, is it fun, and exciting? The G6 is a fun car, and I am going to enjoy it! After all, its just a car, and a lease. Have fun.
    I was wondering why I am finding the chrome version of the 2 front grills to be so expensive nearly $250 or so to have that? Why?

Also, the lower chrome molding that you can get for the lower grill, why is that about the same price? That is extremely expensive! Anyone know where I can get cheaper accessories like these for a decent price?

I have seen this chrome parts on the 08 model G6's, and they really make the car look nice, and really it does make the lower grill look like its apart of the car.
  • melissa81melissa81 Posts: 1
    Hi guys. I have been trying to do some research on the G6 problems after just learning about all the issues last night. And I must admit, the things I have been hearing from everyone have really got me worried.

I had a 2006 Mustang that I traded in. My husband and I had our first child in October of last year, and a Mustang just isn't practical with a baby. So we were looking for a car that still looked nice but had enough room. A dealer friend of ours suggested a 2006 G6. It was a straight trade off. This had lower miles and everything, and even lowered my monthly payments $100 a month.

Well, within the past 2 weeks or so, the back brakes have started grinding all of a sudden. No warning, no squeaks, it just went straight to grinding. Which I thought was odd, because we just bought the car last November, I didn't think we should be having brake problems already. But it doesn't do it all the time. Right after that happened, the words "power steering" came up on the warning panel. We just automatically assumed that it meant the power steering fluid was low. We honestly had NO idea that the G6's had the electric power steering. So like idiots, while we're looking for the power steering fluid (That didn't exist. Hah) we noticed that the brake fluid tank was completely empty. Which was odd after just getting it serviced.

So last night, after doing some research, I came across the investigations into the 05 and 06 models of the G6 about power steering failures, and then I found on here about brake issues. After looking in the owner's manual, it said if the "power steering" warning came up on the panel, and if the G6 was equipped with electrical power steering, that there was a problem and to take it to your dealer immediately.

So now I am panicking. It just showed up twice and hasn't done it since, but I am not about to take a chance when I use this car to drive around with my 7 month old daughter in the backseat. I also noticed that the investigation was closed. So they never decided to do a recall even though there were a number of reports of steering failures and even an accident with injury?

And apparently the warranty isn't going to cover it, because a friend of mine that works at a dealership here in town called GM directly last night, and the woman said that that would fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty of 36,000 miles and wouldn't ya know, my car has 37,000 miles on it. So if there was a problem, I would have to pay out of pocket for it, which I don't think is right at all.

So after my rant, my question is, should I even bother with messing with this car that is having this much problems, or should I just go for another trade in?
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    melissa,if you would have done a little research before purchasing your g6 you would have known about all the steering and brake problems that are happening with the g6,especially the 05 and 06 models.........i owned a 07 g6 up until about feb of this year....i bought it brand new and within a few month's problems began cropping up.....brakes began sqeeling at about 8,000 miles then my steering went out at 9,000....service advisor at dealership said that these are just some of the common problems that they are haveing with the g6 and if you read the owners reviews about the 08 g6's you will see that pontiac has done nothing to remedy this problem cuz owners of 08 g6's are still haveing steering and brake issues just to name a few.........i dumped my g6 as i mentioned in february and got a 08 honda civic...my car problems were solved and i suggest you do the same with your g6 before some more serious issues happen......consumer reports says that all pontiac g6 models have a way below average reliability rateing....i agree with that....
  • Is this the support group for owners of G6's? :sick: :cry:

Eh, just kidding. ......kind of.

Since I'm new here, and they seem to be common problems, I'll point out we had some odd steering problems (thumping during turning) that the dealer fixed on our 2005 G6. They also fixed the warped rotors at 15,000 miles. As for the paint that's chipping off of the radio and power lock buttons, well, the dealer doesn't seem to care. Sigh.

Our G6 just recently started having front suspension issues. I know nothing about cars, but there are strange noises made during routine driving now. If I get out of the car and push down over the front wheels, both left and right, there's a definite creaking sound. No idea where the hell this came from. We're having the dealer look at it since we bought an "extended warranty..how can I lose?!" - Homer Simpson. It saved our asses on that piece of crap Caravan we had, but I digress. Anyone know what this might be? Is this a common issue?
  • maronamarona Posts: 10
    The paint on my radio buttons were wearing thin, not really chipping - but you could see the red light through areas where you shouldn't .. dealership replaced my entire radio for that reason only .. If you purchased an extended warranty - use that puppy! Mention to them - that had it been within the original 3yr/36K warranty, they'd replace it and that your extended warranty should cover it just the same .. It's not right that those buttons should chip from normal wear in 3 yrs. I'd inquire heavy about that - having a newer radio really boosted the sound.

Knock on wood - I don't seem to have alot of the problems people mention in these forums ... My '06 has been a good car for me so far and I've had it just over a year with 45k (i put alot of mileage on) .. The only thing that I totally hate is the road noise from the tires - I wish there was something that could be done about that.

Good luck with your suspension issues .. and get that new radio and power lock buttons!! ;)
  • The dealer has already said they won't replace the radio for that reason alone. (The power button is completely worn off -- it's just a giant red glaring circle at night.)

I'm sure I'll have no luck with my awful dealer. They just called back and said they could find nothing wrong with the suspension. HA. I said "Nothing wrong? I demonstrated how the front end creaks like an old board FOR you guys. Look at it again." WORST dealership EVER.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Go to another dealer!!!
    Exactly- Go to a different dealer and contact GM and let them know. Going to a different dealership will help as some dealers actually treat people with respect, It might be farther away, but its worth the fix when done right.
  • Well, the problem is that this is my parents' car, and the extended warranty they bought was some cheap third party thing (even though they bought it through the dealer) so according to the insurer, they may choose to not honor certain parts of the warranty if we take it to a different dealer. Whatever.

On the plus side, my awful local dealer (are we allowed to mention dealers by name or no?) changed their tune. First, as I said a few days ago, they told us "There's nothing wrong with the car" which meant I had to drive over there and re-demonstrate that there was DEFINITELY something wrong with the suspension. Gee, 12 hours later they're replacing the control arms. It's all fine now. It was all covered by the extended warranty (we're just past 36,000 miles) so.....I guess it could be worse.
    I just leased my 08 2 months ago, and I am so far liking it, its fun and I have every option available except for the V6. No biggie! This is my first american car, coming from Honda, and it was a tough transition. But I am impressed! It offers so much on the car, I feel like the car is alive, with my Onstar, navi, voice dialing, stereo, leather, its great. Will I be back to Honda or Acura? Yes, I probably will, but I am going to have fun while I have this car, its fun and the salsa red color is amazingly sporty. I am really starting to like my car. The only thing I miss, its a more stiff suspension, the G6 is stiff, but not like the Honda, where you can feel everything, and I liked that. I am getting used to it though, and actual appreciate it now.

Also, I am not sure if anyone knows, but the 08 4cyl, have plastic wheel covers, and they actually look like real rims (which is kinda lame, but they look great), but I wondering if I am able to go somewhere and get them chromed, since some places can chrome plate plastic! It would look amazing!! But only if they can offer some kind of warranty and its a well done job. No chipping or flaking. Anyone know??

I plan on buying the chrome grills for the top and bottom fronts, but only if I can find a decent price for them.
  • I have a 2006 G6 and for the past few months i have been having the worst problems with it making a rattling noise. At first i thought it was something in the brakes so i went and got new pads put on and my rotars turned, and i could tell a difference in the way it drove and felt but i could still hear the rattle. Then i thought it could possibly be something with the tires, so i went and got them checked and my tire rod was bent, they fixed that and i had to get new front tires. After i did that it was fine for about a day with still a slight rattle, but now the rattle is back again! I wenta nd got my tires checked AGIAN and they are fine, i really dont want to take it to the dealership because they will give me a run around, unless i know what im talking a bout and i dont, does anyone have any idea what this rattle could be, im starting to think it might be something in my stearing colum!!!!!!!!!
    Does sound like a previous owner hit something since the tie rod was bent.

Best bet is to let the dealership drive it and show them the rattle. Not sure what else we can do here w/o some some of diagnostics.
    I really wish that the G6 had a 5spd automatic, instead of a 4spd. It is 2008, there should be no excuse for not having one. I also think that transmission is a little rough, and as I put more miles on it, it does get smoother though. I only have about 3k on it, and I can only feel the transmission when revving up to speed. Also, I wished that they offered a manual shift option on the automatic, if anything should have this option, it should be the 4cyl before the 6cyl. The engine is great, and I am really impressed, but coming from an 06 Accord 4cyl, to the G6 4cyl, the G6 lacks a bit of refinement and crispness that the honda offers. But, the G6 still only has 3k on it, so its barely even broken in. The G6 really does pick up and go, and it likes to rev up, and when you do it, its quite smooth. But, I do find the transmission a little insufficient and needs the 5spds, it seems to want to look for a gear quite often. But, I am still getting used to it though.

Also, I have the Hankook tires on it, and I have found to keep them about 5lbs over the recomended amount, it feels better and looks like they are fuller, 30lbs is simply not enough for them, and 35lbs is still under the max. Anything less, seems like the car is floaty and less grippy.
    The G6 is getting kinda old. Does need some updates. 6 speed is standard with the top V6 engine. It's stable mate the Malibu has a 6 speed with the four cylinder so I would expect a 6 speed on the base soon.

Just checked a site and the 6 speed is available for '09 on the 4 cylinder.
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    No 6-speed for the G6 except for the 3.6L GXP again next year. Same 2.4L and 3.5L also remain, both with their same 4-speed. The Malibu and Aura are getting more 6-speeds, yes, on the 2.4L but not the Pontiac.

This was covered quite some time ago, but here's all the 2009 changes (you can click the different links and also see the full book by clicking Print Book, Print Model, and Print:

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2009&butID=1&regionI- D=1&divisionID=7&vehicleID=6863&type=0#
    I am going to the saturn dealer tomorrow, and I am going to see about getting the chrome covers that they use on some of the Saturn Auras. I know, I found out later that they had covers on my G6, they look like real rims though. I cannot find my OEM covers in chrome, so I found out that the Saturn Aura covers in chrome will work on my car since they are all made by GM. I am not sure what it will look like, but I think it will make the car look awesome, and they actually do look like real rims, The Aura covers are very similar to those on my G6 4cyl model. I wished they offered the chrome option on the covers that I have now. So, I'll just use a different cover. Has anyone done this before?

I am kind of glad, that the wheels have covers in a way, because if I scratch one of them up, its so easy to replace, not expensive at all, and the fact they actually look like real rims. So I guess its okay. but, I am really an Alloy wheel kind of guy.

I am going to check tomorrow, and I will let you guys know what they tell me, as far as price. It might be worth the upgrade, I saw an Aura in the salsa type red color, with the chrome wheels, and it looked awesome!!