Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• I have an '05 G6 with about 32,000 miles. I took the car in to get an inspection and came across some problems. I was first told that the car had to get the inner tire rod replaced which after an alignment would cost about $300. Later I found out that the steering gear needs to be replaced for about $600 (which includes a new inner tire rod). The mechanic told me that it is unusual to replace the steering gear in a car with such few miles. The car is under the 36,000 miles for the factory warrenty but I bought the car over three years ago so the warrenty has expired. Has another owner of a G6 had a similar problem? I am wondering if it is a problem with the manufacturing of the car and a few years down the road I will receive a letter from GM about replacing the part.
  • I bought my Pontiac g6 GTP coupe in April 2005. Its been to the dealership for many issues. I had the rotors turned at 24k and then at 35k they had to replace the front ones at the same time they replaced the front brake pads. Before the rotor problem i had front end noises and they replaced a tierod that they felt was a little loose. they also put pading on the firewall behind the steering tubes because that was causing a noise. the front end noise did not go away and then they replaced the right end strut.
    i also had them repair the side handles on the seats because they kept falling off. I had put in a complaint to gm and were very curtious and pd for the replacement of the rotors. everything else so far was under warranty. what happens is gm keeps cutting cost on their suppliers and in turn put cheaper parts on cars but we as consumers pay higher prices for junk. they dont make cars like they used to.
    i have always been a gm fan but im sorry to say my next car may be foreign@!
    oh and by the way, i currently have 41k mi and my break lights are messed up, when i brake they go off and when i let off the brake they go on, so, back to the dealership- they know me well there!
  • twarntwarn Posts: 3
    Have just gone through the same problem...after 5 trips...it was the brake bulbs that needed to be replced. Some of the bulbs have a faulty filliment and it causes the sensors to really screw up...
    I went through them replacing the cruise control, sensors, etc and it was simply that...so make them start there!!!!
    Anybody had a problem with them hanging down off the folding panels themsevles? Mine just did?
  • maronamarona Posts: 10
    When my brake light went out and needed replaced, the dealership told me that there can be no contact with the bulb with your hands - have to wear rubber gloves. The oils from our fingers will cause it to short out at and have to be replaced again. Never heard of that before, but did as they said. Just a tidbit of information.
  • ecdebecdeb Posts: 4
    A 'clunk' is a great way to describe it!

I have an 07 G6 that I bought Labor Day weekend 2006. I love the car, have not had any problems (knock on wood) - but recently started feeling a 'thud' when turning at slow speeds...and it is probably the same thing as the 'clunk' you are describing. I need to take it in to get it checked - especially since I have some traveling to do in the next month - but thought I would try to search online to find out what it might be and if anyone else had experienced this....which I now have.

Times are tight - not that this is an excuse to postpone taking it in - but was the work they did to try correct the problem covered under the warrenty?
  • mfiscmfisc Posts: 4
    Selma Smith --

How many miles do you have on your 07? My car has almost 29K (so far so good). You don't see many 07 complaints here so I am just curious. Thanks!
  • Yes, just about everything was under warranty, except for the rotors since they consider that wear and tear, but I had put a case into gm for those and they did honor it. good thing, now i have a brake sensor issue and my warranty is out. I and contemplating trading it in but despite the issues i have with it, i love the car.
  • Yeah, the first year they came out with the G6 was the 06. So i learned to never get a new series of a vehicle!
  • Thank you very much for the tip, so far they just recalibrated the brake sensor in hopes that took care of it, now its at the dealership but they havent done anything else to it, they were goin to change the sensor next witch is expensive and my warranty is out!
    I will have them check bulbs first!
  • You should bring it to the dealer, there is a bulletin for the power steering lines ratteling against the firewall and they put an absorber to stop that. Also, the struts break in and the inside tube clunks around and makes noises, i had that problem and they changed the strut, its still makes a little noise but not as bad.
    How did you "put a case in?" I am having an issue with my sunshade I would like to submit.
    Terri
    I have just over 35k on mine....a lot of highway driving
    Thats good to know that the work was covered by the warranty (except rotors). Sometimes it so confusing to understand what is and isn't covered by warranties!
    Good luck with the brake light sensor.
  • I emailed GM and they replied to me the next day! If you had a lot of problems then just let them know how dissappointed you are. When you buy a vehicle brand new you expect to not have issues, that is why u buy new right? when I emailed them they called me and put in a case and hey are usually willing to work with you so try that! good luck.
  • Thanks, i guess the sensor is only $20bucks, and then labor, so it wont be bad
    whew!!
  • Hi,
    I see there are a lot of problems with the G6. I bought one a 08 in July. I drove the car at varies dealers before I bought it. About 3 wks. later my toe, knee and leg started to hurt.i AM 4'11" The one I have is a standard car, no options.The angle of the drivers seat is straight up, putting presser on my leg.I have never seen anything like this before in my life. After I drive the car a short distance I have to put ice or hot water on my foot, my leg has gone numb 2.I have talked to customer service and got no where and gone back to the dealer. Their answer for me is to upgrade 13k more dollars. I don't have.Does anyone have any ideas about what else I could do? Yes the dealer told me to buy a pillar, I have three of them and that angle is still there. They need to make the 6 way seat a standard.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    FYI:

Anyone with an 2008 G6 with the 5 spoke wheel covers, can use the Saturn Aura Chrome covers they offer. Also, you may use the Chrome 5 spoke covers from the new 08 malibu as well. This will give you a few options without dumping alot of money into the wheels. I am going to buy the Saturn Aura chrome rims, because they look more substantial than the malibu, though both look great, and look like real rims.

You can buy these covers for about $340 for all 4 covers. You would need to go to your Saturn or Malibu dealer to order, then have them installed.

I am sure some of you guys did not know that the 5 spoke rims on your G6 are wheel covers, not actual rims. I am not talking about the base G6, but the trim up from that. The V6 trim has "real" rims. I found this out, after I bought it. Its okay, they look good, but I want chrome to go along with my salsa red paint.

You'll notice, Malibu, and the Aura share the same wheels, and sometimes even the same tire. Mine are the Hankook Optimo.

Hope this helps anyone wanting a unique, yet classy look for their G6.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    They need to make the 6 way seat a standard.

and the next guy will say to make something else standard and the next guy something else and all of a sudden you have added $1300 to the car.

Hopefully you meant $1300, not $13,000.

Also isn't the seat back tiltable? You said the seat was straight up. What the heck does that mean?

What exactly do you want the seat to do? The front of the bottom cushion higher or lower?
  • Frustrated ! When I start my G6 there is a rattling noise, like something is loose under the hood . Now my breaks are squeaking. I have taken this car in 3 times for this problem and they think I am just making it up ... They cannot find anything wrong. At this point I do not know what to do ! I have had this car for 3 months. Any suggestions or has anyone had the same problems ???