Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I would think that it would at least have a better interior that is Toyota/Honda quality levels.
  • http://media.gm.com a Sept 8th press release

Official name for the 2005 new model is "G6"
  • Yep, that name had leaked out some time before. I guess now it is official. Thanks for the catch!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Looks a little better. Though some will probably be turned off by the same old same old pontiac grille
    http://info.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.cfm

According to this article though there is no DOHC. LOL imagine a manual tranny on an OHV sport sedan! Woohoo rev to that 5500 RPM redline! Guess they are not trying to attract import sport coupe buyers.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    G6 was touted to be some great new car and the concept looked really cool. Now they are going to tell me that this ordinary looking thing is the G6?
  • You would prefer it look like a Pontiac Aztec?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    I would prefer it looked somewhat similar to the concept and not a sebring with a grand am grille too.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    go look up G6 on Google. It is a sweet looking design.
    What I would really like and would have expected from Bob Lutz is at least an interior that is Toyota/Honda quality levels and a car that has a DOHC engine to attract some other import buyers. (I'm fine with whatever engine they put into a car as long as I like how I'm getting the power and whether the engine is fuel efficient enough for daily use.)
  • "According to this article though there is no DOHC. LOL imagine a manual tranny on an OHV sport sedan! Woohoo rev to that 5500 RPM redline! Guess they are not trying to attract import sport coupe buyers"

looks like the accountants at GM won again!

5500 rpm redline, LOL! Lots of classic 'launch feel' from the aggressively geared throttle linkage!

the G6 concept was hot looking now this spy shot shows a car that is bland exterior like the base Mazda6.

So why get a G6 then? Just get the 6, it looks the same and the 6 will have superior mechanicals and interior.
    The accountants won against the engineers again! And that's what? The 600th time in a row?!
  • You're going to rate a car that hasn't even come out yet... at least give it a chance to make it's mark. The production version hasn't even been released yet. Although I do like DOHC engines, I don't like the Asian DOHC engines because their torque curves are WEAK. There's nothin wrong OHV, just because it has a lower redline doesn't mean it's a weaker engine.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    no, they just poop out sooner.
  • gunitgunit Posts: 469
    <<no, they just poop out sooner.>>

Says who?? RPM means nothing... tell me about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and top speed. That is what counts, NOT RPM.

So then the Corvettes OHV engine only having a redline of 5600 rpm is BAD?? Boy do you have alot to learn!! BTW.. the base Corvette is 350hp @ 5600rpm. The Vette will outperform any DOHC motor. I believe the ZR1 originally had a DOHC motor but due to durability/reliabilty reasons, they went back to ohv. The new ZO6 OHV is 405 hp @ 6000rpm, pretty damn IMPRESSIVE for a OHV motor !! Nearly 71 hp per liter, not too bad!
    OHV engines are nice and light and don't add a ton of height to a motor as opposed to a DOHC motor. The 5.7L OHV engine in a ZO6 corvette is the same weight or LIGHTER then the 4 banger DOHC motor in the WRX...

The drawback of DOHC? Cost (more parts, more money), packaging (the cylinder head is bigger due to all the cams and valves up there), and maintenance (you have to adjust twice as many valves).

Both OHV and DOHC have their pluses and positives !!
    Both designs have their merit. OHV engines tend to make more torque and OHC engines tend to make more horsepower. Torque is the power you feel going from stoplight to stoplight in a city setting--the power to get the vehicle moving. Horsepower advantages have to do with top speed and passing power.
    Regfootball, OHV engines don't always "poop" out early.. you can NOT say a Corvette or GTP poops out early.. if you have ever driven one... they are both OHV...

I can tell you from experience that my OHV GTP will destroy my DOHC I30t, more powerfull.

I kind of think it's funny that my 3.8L OHV supercharged V6 gets better highway gas mileage then the 3.5L DOHC V6 in the I35.. 28 vs 26....
    They also never talk about the fact that the DOHC Japanese engines only generally peak at toque number well past the RPM range that normal people drive in

For example, explain this....A 175 hp 3.4L V6 in a Grand Am/Alero is faster than the 200hp 3.0L V6 in the 2002 Honda Accord.. 25more hp, yet slower?? LOL. Gear ratios and curb weight also can account for that too!

Its a matter of torque..
    The 3.0 Accord now makes 240hp, but only 212 torque @ 5000rpm.

Where as the 3.0 in my I30t makes 227hp but 217 torque at a more usable 4000 rpm. The I30t also uses a real metal timing chain, not the cheap rubber-band timing belt found on Honda's/Toyotas.

The 3.5L in the Oydssey even though rated at the same 240hp as the 3.0L in the accord is more powerfull, it makes 242 torque vs 212 torque.

HP ratings are misleading...Just as important is the TORQUE rating...

Notice on the new car or Maroney sticker on a V6 accord they list the Horsepower, BUT not the torque?? Hmm....

On my I30t new car sticker they listed BOTH !! Just like my GTP..
    The Honda S2000 is 240 hp but ONLy 162 torque!!

240 hp @ 7800rpm
    162 torque @ 6500rpm

The avg driver will never see that performance.. To get the fast 0-60 times it claims you have to dump the clutch at a high rpm off the line...

My GTP you can use alot more of the performance.

The 5.8 claims of the S2000 are really about 7 seconds.. for the avg driver
  • Actually they are both pretty unimportant. It doesn't really matter where the curves peak but how wide the peak is. Remember the engine is tied directly to the tires via the transmission so as you accelerate your RPMs are always going up (until you downshift) so if the torque is very "peaky" you won't benefit from a very high torque rating. Ideally you want a torque peak that is as wide as the transmission step. So when you downshift you'll still be in the most powerful part of the torque curve. This will give you the best acceleration and ultimately the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Of course you need a good MT to really have the control necessary to hit those correct RPMs.
  • Yeah the s2000 is a great example of this. You really need to see the shape of that torque curve to know how the thing is going to accelerate.
  • http://media.gm.com/events/sema/sema03gm/

There's alot of stuff in there, just do a find for "g6"

So it sounds like the 2005 g6 is going to get the 3900 v6 instead of the 3500. Maybe the 3900 will be on GTP edition or "sport" something or other and the 3500 on the base model.

Now click on "powertrain" on the right and "3900" for more info on the engine.

Sounds like the 3900 will have DOD and VVT for 2005 which means it should put out as much power as the Altima's 3500 with SUBSTANTIALLY better mileage. Also 90% of peak torque from 1800 RPM to 5800 RPM. That's an insanely wide power band. The only problem... I doubt they'll have a cheap MT available to slap in there. Maybe the one from the 3.6 CTS, which puts out a comparable amount of torque...

The fact that the 3900 will have DOD for the first model year makes me think the 3500 will definately be available on a base model. I think people will give DOD a wide berth the first model year. If its reliable, I think they'll start to flock to it. Same power better mileage? Sounds good to me.

There's also rumor that she'll get 3 valves/cylinder for 2006 uping the horsepower to 270.

All the g6 needs is an AWD option and I'm there in 2006.
  • Gunit - Don't waste your time with reg. He doesn't understand what you are talking about.

You are right on the money with everything you say. Another common misconception is that OHV is the older technology. I recently found out that OHV was designed AFTER OHC.

I can't wait to see what the G6 is gonna be like with the 3900 engine. Its gonna be real tempting. With the gas mileage close to one of those litte go-kart hybrid cars and faster then the Altima / Accord / Camry. LOOK OUT!!!
  • REG - "According to this article though there is no DOHC. LOL imagine a manual tranny on an OHV sport sedan! Woohoo rev to that 5500 RPM redline! Guess they are not trying to attract import sport coupe buyers"

You are so misguided son.

The article states that "90 percent of peak torque is available from 1800 rpm to 5800". The redline would have to be somewhere around 6500 RPM give or take a few, same as the 3800 engine.

LOL. LOL LOL LOL
  • They'll also be adding an extra valve per cylinder which should help with the max HP. That's mainly for the people who don't understand torque. But it should also raise the redline.
  • i'm so disappointed that the gorgeous G6 concept car that i was drooling over is just another pipe dream. can you believe that GM was telling us that the G6 was pretty much what the next production car would look like? what a bunch of liars! the spy shots of the "new" and very blah G6 show me that GM has no guts, no vision, and no business asking for my business if this is the best they have to offer.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    wow, that's more harsh than me even......
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    You're on about the 3900:

http://media.gm.com/events/sema/sema03gm/

I'll cut right to the chase:

"The 3900 V-6, the latest in GM&#146;s longstanding family of 60-degree V-6 engines. The 3900 will be the first GM overhead valve engine to use variable valve timing, and it will be GM&#146;s first V-6 to use DOD. Its first application will be on the 2005 Pontiac G6."

I'll take my cookie now, please. I'll try to find something about the Ecotec tomorrow.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    wpbharry : GM had a press release a number of months ago where they said the G6 will not have a 4 banger initially, but it may be added in future models. As far as I know (from SEMA and other stories), the 3.9L is standard and a super charged / turbo charged version will be the "GT" model. That all said, the G6 was suppose to have the 3.5L in it initially, so GM could still change it's mind. ;-)

theo2709 : Thanx for the link

treehumpindog : Wait till you see the finished product before you trash the car. Test cars are always disguised and covered up well. The Detriot show isn't far away.