Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• I recently rented a G6 GTP sedan while out of town.
    The one major criticism is the poor visibility/blind spots.
    Looking over my left shoulder to merge/change lanes was difficult, and the rear window seemed a bit small.

Otherwise, it had plenty of power and nice interior.
    I liked the XM satellite radio with the steering wheel controls. It was a nice car, but I don't think I would buy one.
  • they fix the visibility issue.

Seems odd to put so much in a car and then screw up with something like that. Hopefully most people do not have this problem.

Did you rent a coupe or sedan?
  • I have been over the G6 owner's guide. Is there a trunk light equipped? If so, how do you turn it on??? :blush:
  • tim66tim66 Posts: 22
    Yeppers..Look under the deck directly in front of the trunk lid..I had to hunt for mine. :)
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    and you turn it on by opening the trunk :)

The switch that turns it on is contained in the trunk latch.

When you see a convertible you will find the lamp is installed on a side trim panel since there is no rear package shelf.
  • ajay5ajay5 Posts: 10
    I am getting ready to replace my 03 Grand Am with a G6. I thought what I wanted to get would be a simple matter. The 4cyl would have enough power for me and I wanted Onstar, leather, sunroof and the monsoon audio. But, you can't get Onstar unless you get the GT. I feel that pushing the price to over 26,000 is a little high. All Saturns come with Onstar and I can get an ION3 for a little over 19,000 with all my options. They are even offering 0% for 48 months now. I don't see why I can't get everything I want on the G6 for a few thousand more.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    Perhaps with the 07 G6s, you will see some new options. This year was the first with the 2.4L so they may be feeling out demand. A lot of people that buy I4 sedans tend to buy base cars from what I have seen.
  • 14871487 Posts: 2,407
    a GXP "concept" version of the coupe will be shown at the NY auto show. It will offer a 270hp V6 and appearance upgrades. I hope they offer this model in coupe and sedan styles in the future.

For 2007 I would expect the G6 to get the new GM radio and possibly a 6 speed auto on GTP models. Since the Aura is getting the 6 speed I am optimistic that the G6 will get it this year as well.
    2007 hasn't been released but info on the GXP coupe has been released. I would suspect the 270hp 3.9L is going to be a reality in the near future. Hopefully it will replace the 240hp GTP engine for 2007 or 2008.
  • the GXP will lose that rediculous Rear Wing. It is not a japanese car, and defenantly a more "grown up" coupe. That wing appropriatley belongs on a Cobalt.

I am not sure how i feel about the 270hp 3.9L. Is this the engine with the new 3-valve heads? B/c if its not then i cannot see how GM kept the fuel economy in check (the 6 speed?)

The current 3.9L, while refined is not so good on fuel economy (18/26), if they just made it more powerful meybe this would get even worse :surprise: IMO fuel economy in the high end range is what keeps many shoppers away.

If GM really has this new 3.9L with 270hp, then it needs to go into the Buick Lucern V6 and in the mid level Impala RIGHT NOW. This enine meets or beets Toyota and Hyndai in the power debt by a few hp. It is exactly what GM needs, a 270hp V6 Impala for 25K would be hard to resist.

The engine also needs to go into the Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent, those two are badly in need of competetive power. The current 3.9L is enough to keep the cars on the radar screen, but with 270hp it will drive home sales!
    I would expect the 3.9 with 270hp to find it's way into a few GM products by next year. I wouldnt expect to see it this year. Hopefully the equninox will get the 3.9 or 3.6 for 2007 as an optional engine.

I think eventually the G6 may offer the four cylinder, the 240hp engine in the GT and the 270hp engine in the GXP.
  • leave GTP? You know, GTP used to be the top of the line. I don't really understand why GM chose to do a GXP when they could have just done all the mods to a GTP and moved the GTP stuff down the line to the GT.

I hope to see more info on GM's new V6 soon :D
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    The GTP did not have the HP and performance to earn the GXP monikor. With the big engine the G6 will join the Grand Prix with most likely the two base vehicles (4/6), the GT and GXP. Many of the GTP fluff stuff will probably end up on the GT.

Doubt if they will keep all those permutations/models.
  • the GTP was the highest performance version. Hey, a really good thing about this new engine is that the GP just like you said, could get it. It probably should. I just really hope GM found a way to improve fuel efficiency. This car should not get below 20... at least 19 city.

I also think the GXP is a bit overdone for my tastes. The 18inch wheels are perfect, the 19's on the GXP? I dunno, if it moves people into the showroom i guess it doesn't hurt. I'd like the regular GTP with that 270hp v6 and a nav system, with 6speed auto and NO SHIFTERS ON THE STEERING WHEEL, PLEASE KEEP IT WITH THE SHIFT KNOB!

Cool car, I really think GM has got a good thing going for it with this G6 name. They have lots of styles and options to choose from.
  • a softer ride. Not sure if thats what you want though since its a Pontiac...
    I dont think you will see a production GXP with 19" wheels anytime soon. If they follow the pattern of the grand prix they will create a GXP model and then move the GTP's engine down to the GT. There isnt really a reason for the current 3.5L engine so they might as well drop it unless it will get the upgrade featured in the Aura. They have gotten 24 more hp out of this engine which isnt bad. I am wondering if the 224hp motor will be shared by the G6/Impala/Malibu. If so, I would assume the 3.9engine would get a boost to separate it from the 3.5L.

As for mileage, the Aura is not better than the GTP in spite of the 6 speed auto. It is rated at 18/27.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    You may see bigger wheels. Hopefully GM is getting away form some of its conservativeness and allowing the bigger tires.
  • Has anyone heard of the panoramic sunroof leaking and does it seem like something that would be prone to happening?
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    • ABS is now standard on all models except base and the new SE.

• All Models now get the G6 GTP's Hydraulic Power Steering, except base and SE models.

•GTP models now have a standard 6 speed automatic transmission featuring manual shift mode.

• New standard GTP engine 3.6L 250 HP, V6, DOHC, VVT.

•Available heated cloth seats on all models.

• Radios now OnStar "Turn-By-Turn Navigation Capable".

• New optional 17" Black Chrome Tech wheels.

• New exterior colour - Blue-Gold Crystal

• New - Air Bags: Driver and Passenger, Frontal Dual Stage, Side
    Head Curtain Airbags and Passenger Sensing System standard on all models(except convertible).

• New wheels:
    17” x 7” 5-Spoke Facia Painted Wheel
    18" x 7” Aluminum Ultra-Bright Wheel

• Seat side airbags now optional on all models.

• 2.4L Ecotec standard on base and SE models.
    3.5L V6 standard on GT models.
    3.6L V6 standard on GTP models.
    3.9L available on all GT models with optional 6 speed manual.

• 3.9L engine changes:
    W/ 4 Speed Auto - 227hp
    W/ 6 Speed manual - 240hp.

GT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:
    Includes 3.9L V6 (240HP), 18” Aluminum Painted Wheels, 6-Speed Manual Transmission,Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, Stabilitrak.

GT CONVERTIBLE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE:
    Includes 3.9L V6 (227HP), 18” Aluminum Ultrabright Wheels, Dual Chrome Tip Exhaust, 4-Speed Automatic Transmission, Auto HVAC, Leather Front Heated Bucket Seats with 6-Way Power Driver’s Seat with Lumbar.
  • Does anyone know how to reset the oil change clock on a 2006 G6?
    There are a couple of different ways to do this.

The one described in owner's manual should be your first method.

The best way to see immediate effect is as follows:

Push the INFO button on radio until oil life remaining displayed. Not required but gives you additional confirmation.

Push the MENU button on radio 1 time so that it displays OIL LIFE RESET

Press and HOLD the ENTER button on radio for about 1 second. You should see "ACKNOWLEDGED" displayed on radio.

When this is all done the Oil Life % should now be 100%.

========================
    The other way which works on most recent GM vehicles....

With engine not running and ignition ON.

Again push INFO button on radio until Oil Life % displayed.

Press accelerator pedal to floor and release 3 times within 5 seconds. One...Two...Three.

That should also cause the display to reset to 100%.
  • WHOA

THIS IS SO AWESOME! THIS CAR COULD HAVE ALWAYSE USED THE DOHC.

You see guys, this is what I mean. Those union consessions are finally starting to filter down GM's line, and GM can afford to put better engines in some of there cars.

I know consesions are not everything, but GM is doing all it can. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT SIGN FOR PONTIAC. 250hp IS EXACTLY WHAT THE DOC ORDERRED! The engine is also DOHC, and has VVT! Very nice. I liked the 3.9 but i hope w/this engine the car gets better fuel economy.

THE DOHC IS ALUMINUM BLOCK, so meybe the car as a whole is lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a big issue as it affects HP and Fuel Economy. Excellent news GM. The descision to keep the 3.9L is wierd but i guess you can offer it at a lower price point so its okay, as long as there is no buyer confusion.

The new Airbags are also a good sign. Meybe they will imrove crash tests.

The ony thing (and its miniscule) the missing IPOD connectivity and NAV system with AT LEAST HID's, im not even talking Xenon. This is however, a very good sign for an already sharp looking and descent car.

The cool thing w/the steering is, it should improve the overall quality of the car. Meybe GM is working on a even more precise steering system that will replace the current unit.

Wow, I can't wait to read the reviews. :D
    I dont believe that is the exhaustive list of '07 improvements so I wouldnt be surprised if the G6 is getting the new radio with MP3 jack. Based on the info I saw there were additional '07 details that havent been released yet.

YOu will not see HIDs on this car so I wouldnt get my hopes up. GM does not put HIDs on non Caddy models.

The new GTP will be slightly lighter, but dont expect a real increase in economy. The Aura with the same powertrain is rated at 18/27 which is only 1pmg higher on the highway than thte 3.9 and 4 speed. Not too impressive. The car should be faster than the old GTP though. There is nothing wrong with the 3.9L engine. It has VVT and revs t 6400prm which is the same as the new Toyota 3.5L V6.
  • the biggest reason for the change is that it lies in the mind of the consumer,

that DOHC is better than OHV. Thats it. I really wonder if the DOHC 250hp V6 will also go into the convertable version. I can't see why not. GM should get great economies of scale with this new engine by putting it in all these cars.

I really did not think GM's new hardtop stood much chance against the VW and Volvo, primariy due to its OHV powertrain. Now, with the DOHC option there are no more excuses, and trust me, every OUNCE of weight this car losses is a good thing.

Man, GM sure put allot of heavy materials in it, at least before.

Any links to the G6 changes?
    Order guide now posted for all models. Make sure you use print book button to see all Details
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    Oh my God! GM may finally be getting it. Too bad because it may be too late. Cars other than Cadillac are scheduled to get a DOHC V6. About time, although I hope for GM it is not too late.
  • and they are not "getting it", they knew it, but Labor is too expensive, they got a few cut backs from the UAW and GASP! they can afford to be more competetive now.

One thing I really like about the G6, esp. vs the Fusion is that the G6 has alwayse offerred manumatic, even in a 4 speed unit. FORD and some of its supporters keep saying that its a useless feature in that it does not replace a manual.

I test drove a Saab with a manumatic and after that I can honestly say i will not buy a car without it. It's too much fun, and in NY traffic I cannot deal with a manual. If I can get some feeling of more sport or controll of the car, while still keeping the auto the way it is, then thats the best of both worlds.

Many of Fords products seem lacking in this respect, even though they are so well executed otherwise. I can't wait to see some 2007 G6 GTP performance numbers.
    I like the changes they made for 2007. I am glad to see an auto dimming mirror has been added as well the powetrain changes. They have done a good job of updating this car every model year to keep it fresh. I just wish they had added the new radio like the Aura. Almost every GM product except the G6 and Malibu has the new head unit with MP3 jack.

The availability of the DOHC V6 in the G^ has nothing to do with labor cost reductions or anything like that. GM did not have enough capacity to expand the use of this engine until now. I'm sure they have known for years that it would be used in the Aura and G6 but the plant had to be expanded for that to happen.

It is not too late for the G6 or GM. In spite of intial reports claiming the was a flop it is selling pretty well now and will only grow more once the convertible is added to the mix. I dont know the figures on the Mazd6 but I'm pretty sure the G6 outsells the 6 and I know it outsells the Fusion. The press loves the Fusion but the G6 is really the better car for a number of reasons. Now that it offers the 6 speed and 250hp it is REALLY the superior car.
  • cbar34cbar34 Posts: 9
    Based on the changes as mentioned and in the now posted '07 Order Guide, it looks like the '07 G6 GTP gets the 3.6/252hp dohc engine (great)and the new 6spd manumatic automatic, but no 6spd manual. I know for '06 that there were a lot of complaints re the poor shifting quality of the 6spd manual so it looks like they are dropping it on the GTP in favor of the 6spd manumatic, but are now offering it as an option on the GT with the 3.9 liter engine. Have I read this correctly?