Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6

Comments

• 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Try another dealer.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    Yes, try another dealer, because some dealers don't exactly do their job! Sometimes it can make a night and day difference in the results. You should not have to live with that. You bought a new car, therefore you should get new. You may need to contact Pontiac directly and start a case, that way they will be in touch with your dealer of your choice, Keep your case simple, state only the facts, and hold your ground that you do not have to absorb this as this is all under warranty and is a flaw.

Sounds like many are having problems, I have an 08 G6 too, but in about a year, I plan to trade for a Honda/Acura/VW.
  • I have not had that problem but I do have a problem with the seat and it seems to be going no where. Get you owners manual out and follow the steps in the back.
    If you have talked to service, then call the owner or the general manager where you bought the car. His responsibility is for you to be satisfied. Then call pontiac customer service and write them a letter this information is in the back of your book. I have done all these things. I am now waiting for the manager to call me back.
  • To all who are having problems with G6 and have had the same things repaired over do this instead of the dealer.

Missouri Lemon Law

Missouri Lemon Laws and the federal Lemon Law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) provide for compensation to Missouri consumers of defective automobiles and trucks and other vehicles and products including motorcycles, RV’s, boats, computers and other consumer appliances and products. To qualify under the Missouri Lemon Law or the federal Lemon Law, you must generally have a product that suffered multiple repair attempts under the manufacturer’s factory warranty. Lemon Law compensation can include a refund, replacement or cash compensation. If you think you qualify for a Lemon Law, click here for a free Missouri Lemon Law case review or for an immediate evaluation, simply fax or email your repair records to 866-773-6152 or help@CarLemon.com. An experienced Lemon Law attorney will personally review your inquiry and records and quickly contact you for a free consultation.
  • I have an 06 GTP, I had noise in the front end too. there was a bulletin out for the power steering lines were flapping against the firewall, and they fix that by putting an absorber between. then i still had noise. they changed a strut cause sometimes i guess the inside of the strut makes noise after they have loosened up. which i do not think that would be your issue. good luck
    The New 2009 G6 4cyl, models with now have the option of having the sports package, meaning they will offer a 4cyl with a 6spd transmission, offering 6spd sport shift option. This is exciting, is does offer 32mpg on the mileage now, and gives you a better transmission, rather than the basic 4spd. Now, I believe the 6cyl still has the 4spd, but would imagine it would be next to update as well. Too bad, I bought my G6 too early to get the sport package on the 4cyl. That would add a bit more fun. I am glad they finally add a decent transmission now, 6spd is going to be great. since the normal is 5spd, not 4spd.

I am sorry to hear that people are having problems with their G6.
  • I was wondering if anyone had problems with their gear shift getting stuck in park and will not come out?? Well it happen to me about 2 weeks ago. I went to the store and come out, crank up the car, then I couldn't;t get it out of park. I took it to the dealership, the following day, 9/4and I was told that I might need a new gear shifter, if it happens again. Okay then 9/9 it happen again, then on 9/10 the dealership put in a new gear shifter in. I drove it to work the next day, no problem. So on 9/12 it got stuck again in my driveway. I called the dealership, they came to the house to see, but then when they got there, it came out of park. They told me to monitor during the weekend and report back to them if it does it again. Then on 9/16, it happen again, I took it to the dealership again. That next morning, if finally got stuck with them. They told me that my brake lights were not working as they trying to get the gear shift out of park. So they re calibrated my brake pedal on 9/17, and I then drove it home. I went to work 9/18 and had a few errands to run, so I went to another location and park. Guess what it was stuck again. I took it back to the dealership yesterday, to let them know what is continuing to happen. Then I get back in the car, and its stuck again!!! So I left it there and told me to fix this problem and not to call me until its fix. I don;t trust this car since it's just about happen everyday now. I called the dealership today, they don;t even know what to do. They told that they haven't heard nothing yet?

Can anyone help me, so I can forward the solution to the dealership?
  • You better be glad that is all you have to deal with. I've had so many problems with my G6, every since I leased it back in 2006. The lease will end Jan 2010, and I will be so freaking glad. I'm trying to get out of it early, due to the fact there is serious mechanical problems happening. My gear shift keeps getting stuck in park and the dealership does not know what to do or how to fix it. Ain't;t that something. I will give by the end of the week, and if nothing, I will take it somewhere else. Good luck with your G6.
    Well since it is under lease, why are they giving you such a hassle? Honestly, it can't be that hard to find the source. What is the point in having a lease, where you are covered under warranty, and can be secure in knowing you can take the car in if there is something wrong. As an owner, as long as you keep up on the service, than you are doing everything you are supposed to. I would take my service elswhere, as that would tick me off bad, if I had a lease and they don't fix the problem. Pontiac cannot expect you to keep a defective car, and as a consumer you do not deserve that treatment.I would like to say to the dealership, Its like "Duh" fix it, take the initiative to get someone who can fix, lol... that does not give them a good image, now does it. In fact, I would report it to Pontiac immediately, get a file started. You want this problem fixed. As to trading out early, good luck, honestly, I am going to trade out soon as a can, I will try about a year or so into the lease, when my payoff is a little lower. I actually tried yesterday to see what would happen if I traded it in now with having it only 5mths, and it was going to be a bit ugly. Honestly, I feel the contract is way too strict on leases, I understand why, but some of the crap they put us through can be avoidable.
    The dealer said I could trade for an Accord, but would have $200 negative equity rolled into the payment, $200 on top of the payment.

Did you know the salesmen tried telling me to start paying more, like $20 or so more a month to lower my payoff, now tell me that makes sense....?! It does, but who does that on a lease, its not my car, I wouldn't be paying off the principal. Only paying down a negative equity to trade early, but still BAD idea... Just goes to show you the salesmen is all talk, and I think I know more than they do sometimes things. Mainly because of this website! Anyways, its okay, I am happy with my G6, I will look again next spring, perhaps at a new Acura TSX or the Accord. I am a Honda guy!
    Well, I tried getting out of my lease, I have only had my car for about 5-6mts, but wanted to see where I stand on trade in for my car. So I went to a local Honda dealer, and it was ugly, they told me that it would about another $200 on top of a new payment for the Accord. They could do it, but that would be the deal. I kinda find it unbelievable. I am sure I can do much better than that, if I really kept trying. I think in a few month, I might trying talking to a successful salesmen here locally, he is really good, and see what he thinks I can do. He can sell Honda, but normally sells toyota. Every time here is salesmen of the month. It is possible, regardless of what people say, people can get out, but you have to try, and it is hard to do.
  • wife has this car leased since december 05 had 2 steering shafts replaced to get rid of clunking in steering ,had radio replaced due to clock resetting to 1200 and blinking ,front and rear brake pads replaced ,had wiper module replaced due to wipers quit working and yesterday had front hub left side replaced due to wheel bearing failed vechile has approx 47000km got to say our gm dealer is very prompt and always gives her a car to use , and all this was covered by the warennty
  • I got my "clunk" fixed......the power steering rack had broke. So far so good!
  • has any of you g6 owners gone through alot of window wiper blades ,here where i live you can only buy replacement at $30 each for a05 model. at gm dealer.
  • maronamarona Posts: 10
    I know - they are WAY expensive and only available at dealership. The nice thing is that you can replace just one, or both. Don't have to go through a pair every time you need a new blade. I did replace each of mine once already - owned my G6 for about 18 months now. Do you use yours alot? :shades:
    Do a google search for G6 pontiac wiper blade for sale. Others sell them but looks liek same price. (cost.com)
    Okay, Well I have had my first issue with my 08 G6. I got in my car and realized I could not roll down any of my windows. Although, the sunroof opened and nothing else seemed to be out. It is a little frustrating. Actually really annoying. I am documenting everything.

This has nothing to do with the windows, but I am thinking of transferring the lease to a new owner. GMAC is allows this for $595 processing fee. I really want a Honda product back. This would be the only way to get out without some major expense.
    Now getting someone to take over will be interesting. But, with only 8k miles, and $319 a month, it is a really good deal for what you are getting. Leather, roof, 4cyl.
    Then once a new owner has been approved, then they are responsible for the lease, and the account is closed on my end. I then can go get a new lease.

Hopefully, if I decide to keep the car a bit longer, I will not have any more issues.
    Well I have had my first issue with my 08 G6.

In the first 3 months / ~3000 miles the average per JD Power is 1.1 problem/vehicle. So you are doing better than the average vehicle.

And for 3 years the average is 2.1 with Pontiac at 2.2 so hopefully you will beat the average.

And really hopeful it is just something simple. Could be the main window switch wire harness is unhooked.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008063

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008115
    Well it was just the fuse. That is a relief...lol. But, I am still keeping the whole lease transfer in the back of my mind. I am really a Honda guy.

I have 1 person that perhaps might think of taking it from me, but then I would have the hassle of getting a new lease. I could wait a bit longer, but then that might be worse on getting a new owner for my lease.

Even my Honda has a few glitches, but I guess I am being more critical about the Pontiac, because it was never a car I wanted to begin with...(long story). Lets just say I have 2 cars I leased the same day, gave up my 06 Accord for the second car... yep. Oh well. I did it for a good reason. But, I want my Honda back! Don't you love the car industry. Its mean sometimes.
    Well, I found out that I could transfer my 08 G6 lease to a new owner. I think I might have lucked out!! As I called the VW dealer of which I bought my Pontiac from and the salesmen had said that he had an uncle that is in need of a nice G6 with the leather, roof, sound package. Apparently, GMAC is cutting out leasing or it is really hard to do. Therefore getting a payment of $319 a month on a G6 with the features I have is going to be hard to do. Also, the uncle wanted the color I have, and the payment matches what he wants. Therefore the dealer will help transfer the lease to him ( if the uncle wants to do this, I have not heard an actual answer yet. I will hear on Monday). I will then go to a new lease, but I am thinking of whether I should get an Accord or a VW Jetta! If I get the Accord, it'll be the EX-L. If I get the Jetta, I want the Wolfsburg edition with 2.0T engine! I really want my Accord back, but since the VW dealer knows me, and they know someone that could potentially get me out of my G6, which is HARD to do. Because if I opt out of the VW, I might not be able to get the Honda dealer to help me out. So, it seems easier to get the VW. Plus, VW is offering a sign and drive event sale too!!

It sounds like a tough decision. I think the uncle wants the car, then I should take the move! Because it would be a my only really good chance to get out without having to try or wait a long time. It seems like an opportunity.

I know, I am crazy!! what do you think?

So, let me know what you guys think,... I am really an Accord fan. So, perhaps I need to look at both first.
  • Hello everyone, i just wanted to say, i just purchased a 07 G6. Im very happy with the car, but, was wandering, if there are any paticular problems i should keep my eyes open for.

I appreciate any feed back that you might have...............thanks
  • mfiscmfisc Posts: 4
    Hi kkinze--

I bought my 07 in May and so far have been very happy with it. It has 30K on it and I haven't noticed any issues. It seems like the 06 has had a lot of problems but I haven't really seen any posts about 07 problems. I hope we just have nice cars! :D

Good luck!
    Have anyone else noticed that the G6's, 2008 models are piling up on Ebay, most with low miles, a few with higher miles. Convertibles for thousands less, with a few 1k miles on them. This makes me a little wary of why. I think most are moving away from GM, it certainly makes me a little uneasy. Now, most of these cars have been on Ebay for quite sometime. Now, I do realize that the economy is really low right now, but it seems like GM is getting hit more. I have noticed more cars in general in the used lots anyway, its like people are buying new since that have to move them better than the used. Hmm, I wonder why..lol No offense, but I'll be getting an 09 Acura TSX soon! Bye bye GM. I love my G6, but the engine really disappoints me, drive a Honda 4cyl, and you'll see a difference. The 4cyl G6 engine is too quirky, not too refined, the transmission is so annoying, I find myself saying, uh, what gear are going to pick? lol. The torque is totally in the wrong spot on the range. I can see why people have to opt for the 6cyl in a GM car, because they cannot offer a good 4cyl.
    Update!

The 2009 Pontiac G6 is going to get a slight face lift. Interior radio, heat/air controls updated. The front and rear get a few new lines and changes. Not much, but looks good. The new 4cyl models(not base) get standard the chrome wheel covers, The covers actually to me look better than the regular chrome "rims". Very nice. Look literally like real rims. Not much done to it, but looks tastefully done. They now offer a 6spd automatic, which is nice, very nice, because that is problem I have on my 08 G6, I have a 4spd transmission, and it is so picky, annoying sometimes.

The 4cyl now offers a sport package that has paddleshifters. Very handy and fun. My luck, they do the upgrades after I have bought one. Oh well, I still do not plan to get another GM product. However, I am going to buy the chrome wheel covers, for $358, I can get them on the car! Not bad for covers that look like real rims. Nice thing too, if you curb scratch them, you can easily and cheaply buy a new one. These are the few covers that can pull off not looking like a cover!

The link is below, I would say they are doing the right thing, though I think they are a bit behind, certainly not ahead of the game, but a good start to a refresh. I think all their doing is just staying average with the competition. I give them credit for doing this, but nothing to be shouting about. Its what they should have done years ago.

Read all about it! Starts in January.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2009-Pontiac-G6-Coupe,-Sedan-and-Convertible.html- ="
    Okay,

I have had my 08 Pontiac G6 4cyl, sedan for about 1 year. I am impressed with its options, leather, roof, heated seats, power seats, xm, aux, remote start. It is a nice package. First off, I was never impressed with the 4cyl engine!! I gave the engine some time and miles to see if it would smooth out and it has NOT. The 4spd automatic transmission is horrible! It cannot pick a gear to be in at a certain RPM. Always moving up and down. You barely press of on the accelerator the transmission thinks it needs to jump way up. I ask myself all the time when I accelerate, what in the world are you doing? Its so annoying! It is getting to the point where I get mad at it.

Now, I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the car, but I came from an 06 Accord 4cyl, and it was no where near like this. The G6 engine is not smooth at all, its quite rough in shifting, totally unpredictable. The transmission is not programmed very well at all. I have now noticed a higher pitched hissing sound coming from my G6, mostly when its first started, and its colder out. It has a very cheap start up, not a nice smooth sounding start up. My 06 Accord, a slightly bigger sedan had more power, torque, yet better gas mileage! It felt like a little race car, because it was so refined, smooth. I miss my Accord so much! Now, it was not my choice to get the car, I had to get this car to lease another car for someone else. I had to give up my Accord. Long story. I know its only a car ,but it was so tough. :(

I cannot believe that GM actually thinks that this is the best they can do about this engine! They are proud of this? When someone tested this car, they actually thought that this was satisfactory. I now have nearly 13k on the car, and it is "slightly" ever so slightly more smoother now than earlier mileage. But, its not going to get any better. I really love the car itself, but the engine, I am going to be completely honest, it sucks! Badly! I tell you what, if it did have a better engine, it would be a VERY nice package. I am not bashing GM, but this is all coming from my experience with my G6, I actually want to drive a new 09 with the 6spd auto. I want my Honda back!! I want to go test drive one, to see the difference again. Maybe I should, but I might want out even more, when now is not the time to trade. But, I will soon!! Summer or fall.

I will be writing GM a complete review of my experience, this is exactly why the company is suffering. Sooner or later is catches up if you do thing half effort. Perhaps my car is not the norm of all other G6's ? I would love your take on it if you have 4cyl.
  • I have to respond to the last post. We purchased a 2008 G6, Base model at the end of December. The car is being driven daily by my daughter who is a fourth year college student.

My concerns when I bought the car were the following:

- four speed transmission
    - no keyless entry
    - no cruise control

For the price none of the above was a deal breaker and she was certainly happy.

Why we bought the car:

- purchase price was $12,888 (brand new, 5 miles on the odo when we took it for a test drive)
    - GM has been making this car sice 2005, I believe the 4 cylinder models debuted in 2007, thus there was a track record.
    - car handled competently
    - some nice features, for example auto headlights and information display
    - good fuel economy for a roomy car
    - a Hyundai Sonata would have costed at least 4k more; not in our budget and frankly not worth 4k more than the deal we got. We did test drive a Sonata and felt it was a nicer car.

I read this board before making the decision. I disregarded the last posters comments. The constant references to the Honda Accord adds no value to this forum.

I have driven this car on at least three occasions. I don't find anything wrong with the engine and the transmission. As a matter of fact I think it is an extremely competent vehicle. I purchased a 07 Mazda 6 brand new in November 07. Yes I prefer my Mazda. The Mazda now has 17k on it. I especially like the steering and handling of the Mazda when compared to the G6. However, I could live with the Pontiac. I should also state that I paid 4,800 more for the Mazda than this G6. And yes I've read the reviews on the Mazda and it was criticized for lack of interior room, yet the new one is judged too big by many of the reviewers; go figure. The motto is buy what makes you happy; being go for a deal or pay the price for a car that satisfies you.
    You are exactly right. I am going to pick the car I want next time. I think I stated somewhere, it wasn't my choice to get the car, but I actually like it now.

Its too bad the car only has 7.8 rating, and it only has 2 reviews. It does deserve more than that. I like the car. But, again, they too are comparing it to its competition. If there is such a thing now for the G6.

For me, its only a lease, I'll have another in awhile.

It is all on what we are used to. Thanks though. :)
    I have yet to see any "new" 2009 G6's that are slightly revised. It might be the slow economy, they are slow to arrive since the current models have not moved too quickly. I have seen only 1, and that was at my work place. But, it was the V6 model. It sorta looks more like the GXP, a little overdone. More like a matchbox car.
    I am not sure where they going with it, it looks mismatched. I prefer the original design of it. It looks more classy and tasteful. I truly believe they are at a dead end with the car. You certainly do not see people here getting excited about any new look. Like beating a dead horse.

I like my salsa red G6, it really look sharp in the sun, all shiny. I have a lease, and well, I should be lucky to have one.
  • riswami1riswami1 Posts: 28
    Can anyone tell me what size wrench is needed to removed the oil pan drain plug and the location of the plug? Does the car have to be driven up a ramp or can you crawl under and get to the drain plug.

I plan on doing my first oil change on a 2008, G6 with the 2.4. I just purchased the oil filter housing socket.

Thanks
  • bobr55bobr55 Posts: 1
    GM ELECTRONIC STEERING SYSTEMS VARY DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR AND MODEL OF VEHICLE YOU HAVE. SOME INCORPORATE A ELECTRIC MOTOR ALONG WITH WITH A HYDRALIC PUMP, AND OTHER ARE STRICTLY ELECTRONIC. THE STRAIGHT ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS USUALLY HAVE THE CONTROL MODULE, ELECTRIC MOTOR AND SENSORS INTERGRATED AS A UNIT UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL AND TOWARDS THE FIREWALL. GM HAS HAD COMPLAINTS OF STEERING LOCKUP WITH BOTH SYSTEMS. THE PROBLEM WITH ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS IS THAT THEY RELY ON INPUTS FOR VARIOUS SUBSYSTEMS IN ORDER TO MAKE STEERING CORRECTIONS. ANY PROBLEMS WITH A SUBSYSTEM THEN CAN ALSO BECOME A STEERING PROBLEM. THEN THERE IS THE SOFTWARE
    USED TO DRIVE THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS FOR STEERING SYSTEM. ANY PROGRAMMING GLITCHES OR CURCUIT FAILURES HAVE THE POTENTIAL FOR STEERING PROBLEMS. OF COURSE THERE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FAIL SAFE FEATURES IN PLACE IN CASE OF SUCH FAILURES. MY POINT IS THAT THESE SYSTEMS ARE TO COMPLICATED FOR THE AVERAGE DRIVER OR HOME MECHANIC. TEST EQUIPMENT IS EXPENSIVE TO ISOLATE THE SOURCE OF FAILURE. THE BEST SOULUTION MAY BE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (www.nhtsa.gov )AND LET OPEN A CASE AGAINST GM AND OTHERS TO REPAIR THESE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS UNDER A FEDERAL RECALL CAMPAIGN WHICH THEN WILL PLACE THE COST OF THE DEFECTIVE SYSTEMS ON THE SUPPLIERS AND NOT THE CONSUMERS. :sick:
  • nypsumdnypsumd Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 G6 and it occasionally doesn't start when warm - the engine turns over but doesn't catch. I can get it to start by pushing the gas pedal a little so it seems like something is wrong with fuel delivery.

Has anyone else experineced this and, if so, were you able to fix it?