Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox

dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
I would like to start a discussion on the upcoming Chevy Equinox. It should be built on the Saturn VUE platform and may have an engine option from China according to this article :

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5468

The Equinox looks to be a very good vehicle when it comes out... lets go..

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 44,414
    A tiny bit more info is in this link. Emphasis on tiny :-)

Steve, Host

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Thanx Steve.

Not much info yet, but I think this will be a very good truck if it's base off the VUE.

I'm really curious about these Chinese engines though, very odd.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I was reading an article in the paper and apparently the Equinox will be the first fully Canadian engineered vehicle in 80 years. The engineering will be done at the new design centre in Oshawa and production at Ingersoll Ontario. Apparently the base engine will be the 2.2L Ecotec and the upgrade may be a new in line 6 imported from GM China.

It will be very interesting to see how this new crossover comes out. Interesting times in the auto sector for sure!
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    The Equinox could be exactly what I am looking for.I currently drive a 99 Buick Regal GSE, which is a great car but I am looking for something a bit more versatile. I have looked at the Saturn Vue and the Pontiac Vibe. I have a GM card so I will not get money off on the Saturn. Anyway the
    Equinox looks like it will be a nice vehicle.
    dan : All Canadian vehicle eh? Sounds good, I didn't know it was being designed here.

Not much info on it yet. Perhaps we will see something in the winter on the auto show tour.
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Posts: 490
    I always thought the Vue platform was only going to be used by Saturn.

I guess with all the cost cutting, they had to share with Chevrolet.
  • ...perhaps one should read "DAS KAPITAL" to understand the inner workings... (:o]
  • vuefor2vuefor2 Posts: 490
    Will the base engine be the ecotec like in the Vue?
    Yup, that's what I've read though it will not have a VTi transmission like the VUE.
  • zapcatzapcat Posts: 64
    Thank God!!!
    I really like the VTi. I tested one a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very cool.
  • infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    does anyne know if the equinox will be available with a 3rd row seat? i thought i heard a while back that it would be available. i hope so or i can't consider one.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Not much information on the vehicle has been released yet. I doubt something as detailed as a 3rd row seat would have been mentioned but ya never know.

Don't forget that the Equinox is supposed to be a compact SUV which makes a 3rd row seat even more doubtful.

However, being that GM is bringing the Equinox to market so late, they just might have that 3rd row as an option to attract new customers.

I guess your just gonna have to wait until late 03 to find out. But don't worry, your no the only one waiting to see this vehicle.

Should see a lot more info in January as the Equinox will be shown for the first time at the Detroit Auto show. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what this vehicle will look like. The pictures I have seen look good so far.
    Do you think GM will put REMOTE start on the EQ from the get-go? That would be great.
    I suppose we should decide on the appropriate abbreviation ....
    Pre-Launch Vehicle info.

Steve, Host

Just when I thought that GM was starting to put OHC engines in all of their upcoming new cars, I find out that the upcoming Equinox will be available with an OHV design. I am a little suprised but not shocked and I would still look at the vehicle when it arrives.I know all of the pros and cons of each engine design but I thought GM was starting to turn the corner and was finally "geting it"
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    How about Ox?

tidester, host
    Equinox base is an ohc 2.2L Ecotec. Not sure what this Chinese made 3.4L will be but it sounds like an ohv motor for sure. I know GM is a little behind in the development of the new breed of ohc series of engines, but I was hoping for a smaller version of the Envoy I-6.

More details should be out in a week or two when the Equinox debuts at the Detroit Auto Show.
    I would have thought that the engine would be the V6 currently in the Saturn VUE. If not that one then maybe the Honda V6 that is supposedly going to be in the VUE. Apparently GM is designing a new family of OHC engines and one of them will be included in the new Chevy Malibu. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    The Honda - GM engine and transmission swap is a Saturn only thing. As for the 3.0L in the VUE, my guess is it's not powerful enough to be a Chevy. My thinking is GM wants 200+ HP in the Equinox. It's strange that they will import engines from China though, not sure I understand why they can't be sourced in North America.
    Bringing engines to North America was probably part of GM's "cost of admission" into the Chinese market.

Steve, Host

Bring some hard currency to the Chinese economy kind of thing?

Make sense I suppose. China is a pretty closed economy aside from Hong Kong.
  • dan165dan165 Posts: 653
    I like the looks of that truck!

My daughter wants to get a small SUV. Maybe I will help her get one of these.

What are the avilable power plants? The thing looks very Lexus like, probably the best small SUV I have seen.
    140-145 hp 2.2L Ecotec is standard and a 200-220 hp 3.5L V6 will be optional.

Not sure of the V6 details though I know it will be imported from China. Why I don't know but it's been suggested that it's a hard currency export trade off to stay operational in China for GM.

I'm sure it will be peppy.
    Looks like only a 3.4L V6 will be available with the Equinox, but it does get a 5-speed automatic..

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5659

• wgrwgr Posts: 127
    Anyone know the expected pricing ?