Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• bc0831bc0831 Posts: 1
    I am looking for a car for my wife and I looked at a Equinox LT. I do not know anything about these cars. Are they reliable? Do they have good gas mileage?
  • angie7angie7 Posts: 3
    Hi There, We have had our Equinox for a little over a year now and Love It. It has lots of room and seems to be running fine. We think you get a lot of vehichle for the money with an Equinox.
  • philwphilw Posts: 5
    Dear Angie07,

I have had my Equinox since new about a year ago. I t now has 40,000kms and has been relatively trouble free. It is my work car. I ts an LT with leather and Sunroof. But get this , the outside mirrors have no heaters; not vet good for the Canadian winter.
    May I suggest you look at the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Tuscon. I would say that dollar ofr dollar the Hyundais are a better value. More featues less money equal or better reliability with the Hyundai. Better warranty with the Hyundai.

The only reason I went to Equinox was because I re-newed my lease early so GM did everything to take me off the market.

If you get a chance, have a real good look at the Hyundais
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    My equinox is a 05 LT and I love it. (3 yrs old on 24th of may). Good smooth ride, lots of room. Good visibility except for the windshield pillar (but you'll get used to it). Just turned 22,000 miles on it and the only problem that I had where the front rotors, had to be machined twice because of vibration when braking.
    As for the gas mileage.... made 3 trips over 3,000 milles each (mostly highway) and everytime I average 25 - 26 m.p.g. @ 70 m.p.h. but in city driving never got more than 14 - 15 m.p.g. and even worst in winter driving. 12 m.p.g.

I'm very satisfied with my nox.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Having driven both the Equinox and the Cobalt - I doubt you'll be happy trading from the Equinox DOWN to the rattletrap, noisy, Cobalt. If mileage is everything to you, you may make a few MPGs on the deal, but now much is misery worth? You should be getting 19 combined MPG in the Equinoxious - the cobalt may get you 24. 5 MPG will equate to about 3 bucks less a month in gas expense.....worth it? You have to decide. To me, it's not.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I would have made a big mistake trading my Equinox for a Cobalt. I'm taking your word for it, you seem to know what you're talking about. People like you should be on these forums more often to help others like you just did for me. I would have made the worst decision of my life. Thanks again.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have a 2005 Equinox LT FWD, a 2006 Cobalt LS Coupe with manual trans and a 2007 Cobalt LS Sedan with automatic in my family. All three were purchased new, and none of them have had any problems to date, only normal scheduled maintenance.

Your MPG ratings are quite accurate and match mine. My annual MPG averages are Nox 19.5, Cobalt Sedan automatic 24.5 and Cobalt Coupe manual, 28.5. If each car is driven 1000 miles per month the cost for gas at $3 per gallon would be

Nox 1000/19.5=51.28galx$3=$153.84
    Cob Auto 1000/24.5=40.82galx$3=$122.46, mo. savings vs Nox=$31.38
    Cob Man 1000/28.5=35.09galx$3=$105.27, mo. savings vs Nox=$50.57

Since my under 20 kids drive the Cobalts and pay their own expenses, the $31/$51 savings per month is significant for them.

However, I agree, the Equinox is much better and safer for winter driving. And that is more important to me than MPG/Gas cost.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Did you know that the engine in your Equinox is made in China? Did the MFG sticker say so? Did anyone tell you about the engine being made in China and brought to the USA and put in your Equinox?
    The reason I ask is on one car dealers web sites tells about how to overcome customers objection of parts being made in China. The article states that this started in 2005, ans as little was said by customers that GMC is planning on adding more China made parts in all GM vehicles.
    How do you feel about this?

farout
    The Equinox has a 3.4 L LNJ engine that is built in China by Shanghai G.M. and the transmission (transaxle) is built in Japan and all the plastic parts are made in Taiwan and in the U.S. The engines and transmissions are sent to Vancouver by ship then by land to Ingerstoll Ontario Canada (near Toronto) where the Equinox is assembled at Cami Enterprise.
    The 2008 Equinox Sport has a 3.6 L. engine (this engine is built in the U.S.)
    So I figured that the Equinox is only assembled in North America and that's about it.
    Can we say that the Equinox comes from North America? Hmmm!
    Mine is a 2005 LT.
  • philwphilw Posts: 5
    So you are concerned that your 3.4 is assembled in China? Let me share my experience with the 3.4. In the past I had 2 Pontiac Montanas both with the 3.4 engines in them. From day 1 these two engines sounded like they were going to fall apart they were so noisy.
    The Chinese assembled 3.4 in my 2007 Equinox is so different both in sound and performance, that I had to take a second look to see if it really was a 3.4. I have 50,000Kms (30,000miles) on this car and it hasn't missed a beat; and it's quiet.
    I think that the overpaid north american union boys should take note; it's all about workmanship.
    Furthermore, Why on earth would GM build a vehicle destined for the north american marketplace and not include heated outside mirrors? I purchased my Equinox fully loaded (so I thought). During the first winter storm I noticed that my outside mirrors were not de-icing. So I took the Equinox in to have this fixed only to find out that Equinoxs don't come with heated mirrors. You can have heated leather seats, an sunroof, great looking chrome rims and a great sounding XM boom box but no heated mirrors
    Did GM miss the boat on this one? You bet!! Take a look around at Hyundai, Honda, VW, ...al the foreign brands. These companies understand the needs of the north american marketplace. The least expensive Hyundai made had heated mirrors.
    I like everything about my Equinox is does what I need it to do however, all things considered (price, fit and finish and bang for the buck) I will probably be going to a Santa Fe next. By the way these are also assembled in the US of A.
    I know what you're talking about. Before my 2005 Equinox I owned a 1999 Venture almost the same as your Montana but it's a Chevrolet and "Yes Sir" do I ever miss those heated mirrors we sure need those up here with our winters and the automatic level control suspension on the Venture was great. The engine in my Venture was a 3.4 L but I didn't have any problem with it but I noticed that the Equinox is a bit more expensive on gas.
    You're right my Equinox is a LT, heated leather seats, sun roof, inboard computer/compass, aluminium 17's wheels they told me "fully loaded".
    Fully loaded without heated mirrors? NAH!
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Posts: 94
    So far, wife and I put 34,000miles on our Equinox since purchased Jan 2005. Still looks good, runs and drives great! No problems to date. The 3.4L is a strong proven GM design which is assembled overseas. I have no problem with GM saving some money by out sourcing the assembly of their V6.
    The 3.4L has been in GM cars since the mid 1990's. My bother currently has over 100,000 miles on his. It is a reliable engine design, thats easy to assemble, and has a timing chain which lasts the life of the engine.
    The best part is I save $400+ every 60,000 miles, since I don't have replace a timingbelt/waterpump.
    I also think that GM did a nice job with mating nice smooth [non-permissible content removed] transmission with
    the 3.4L.
    So far, the Equinox is a keeper for us.
    Right on! Jim Dandy

Bought my LT, FWD in May 2005 and so far so good. I love it. Purrrrs like a kitten.
  • bob171bob171 Posts: 2
    well then obviously you havent drove other vehicles. this was the worst vehicle i ever bought. i had significant problems after the first few days of owning it. check engine light came on periodically....took many visits to figure out that something clogged the vent hose off the gas tank. if that was even the problem. they replaced the computer..stilll had problems. the evap canister was cracked. the turning radius on these vehicles was worse then my full size truck...had to make many more 3 point turns. brakes were shot after 20,000 miles. the gas mileage sucked. i was lucky to get 18 miles to the gallon...mostly averaged around 15. the snow build up on the front windshield was terrible due to the inset windshield, and tough to clean off. and then finally the loud backfiring noise that they couldnt figure out. after many attempts...gm put out a tech bulletin saying that this was normal operation of the evap sensor selenoid..and they refused to do anything about it..and believe me i contacted everyone from the dealership, to a high executive officer at gm , and they still wouldnt help me. all they did was pass the buck...its not the dealers fault because it should be under gm waranty..yeah right...its not gms fault because the dealer is responsible because they actually purchased the vehicle from gm, so its their problem....blah blah blah..ive heard it all , but after 6 months and filing a complaint with the better business bureau under the lemon law( free by the way)..and after 3 offers by gm to avoid arbitration, gm finally agreed to buy my vehicle back from me. just so this wouldnt be made public information. the only thing i liked about it was all the room on the inside....but the 30000 dollar price tag wasnt. thats why i bought a toyota and i will never buy another gm product again!
    I have to differ with you on the 3.4L engine. I've had two of them, and they have both failed me. The one in my 2000 Olds Alero has breeched the intake manifold gasket, and is leaking coolant out onto the ground. The one in my 2001 Chevy Venture just over heated because the cooling fan relay is faulty. Now coolant is in the oil and the engine is knocking. I fear the engine is toasted. Only 79,000 miles on the Venture, and 80,000 on the Alero, and no, I don't neglect them. Not impressed with the 3.4L ChiCom assembled engine, nor with GM in general, though I have plenty of their cars.
    For the bad gas mileage it always depends on how you drive, then some poeple are harder on brakes than others, the turning radius is reasonable and quite understanding for a 108 inches wheelbase vehicule (this you should have known before buying it) it's not G.M.'s fault, the snow build up is obvious I could see the problem even though I bought mine in may and about that loud? backfirering noise... they all do that and yes it is normal.
    I've owned G.M. products since my first vehicule ( 8 in all ) since 1975. My first car was a used car then the rest were all bought new. Can't say a word about bad quality, maybe I was lucky? Sure I had some problems with my cars but mechanic will always be mechanic, you'll never get a perfect car. And my next vehicule will still be probably a G.M. again.
    I'm not the type of guy who throw a dozen of eggs in the garbage because one of them was cracked.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Were you aware the of engines orgin? I n the sales guide it says not to say anything about it unless asked. There appears to be a slip it in if you have to, but don't bring it up unless you really have to. Thanks for your imput.

farout
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Posts: 94
    Wow! I'm just minding my own business,
    thinking life is great in my trouble free Equinox,
    cruzin down the hi speed digital highway, then BAM!

Crap! a "Hit and Run Blogger"

Oh what a feeling!

Hey Jim, do ya think we can convert him?

No it's too late, he's gone to the Dark Side. ;)
    Crap! a "Hit and Run Blogger"

Hey, I still have the Venture, and a GMC Sierra right now as well, so I'm not exactly on the Dark Side. Just not thrilled with this 3.4L ChiCom lightweight motor.
  • "Obviously" I have driven alot of cars in my time and the Equinox is a great vehicle.
    All car manufactures have seen there share of problems, even Toyota.

Google "Toyota Sludge" and you will see what I mean.

The Equinox is a smooth running SUV.
    No complaints here. :)