Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• I have an 06 Chevy Equinox (not AWD).

I am headed to the mountains for Thanksgiving and want to know if I can put regular chains on the back tires? Somewhere we thought we heard you could not use regular chains. I asked the dealer and they keep giving me conflicting answers so I thought I would ask someone on here. :)

Can I use regular chains or do I need to buy cables instead?

We don't go the snow often so we want to find the cheapest solution.

Thank you!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,953
    we want to find the cheapest solution

I got my last two sets of chains cheap at the local thrift stores. :shades:

Now, if someone can just tell you if you'll have to get cables instead of chains or maybe you can use S chains. I don't suppose the info is in the owner's manual?

Btw, I usually put chains on the drive axle - the front in your case.

How to Install Tire Chains
  • Are you as surprised as I am that GM doesn't even offer heated side mirrors on the Nox? I have contacted a company called Muth Mirrors they build the side mirrors with the LED turn signal arrows in the side mirror glass, they also can add a heated model, if enough people show interest. So lets all email to " sales@muthco.com " And show them there is an interest in the mirrors for the Nox.

Thank you, and good night
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Very surprised!
    My 1999 Venture had heated mirrors and what a charm that was. If I remember they were on the same switch as the rear defogger.
    Now I own a 2005 Equinox L.T. FWD and no heated mirror. BAHHH!
    We need heated mirrors up here and what surprises me the most is that the Nox is built in Canada and no one thought of at least putting "heated mirrors" even as an option.
    So weird.
  • moskymosky Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Equinox and so far I think the motor has been great. I have a little over 50,000 miles on it and no problems. I took it hunting and two people with me had mid size 4wd trucks. I went down a hill with rocks, snow, and holes and all of us thought the Equinox was going to have to be pulled. To all our surprise the AWD worked better then I dreamed of. Gas milage is around 22mpg. I really love this Equinox.
  • I have had a positive experience with my Equinox as well. I have a 2006 with about 30,000 miles on it. The engine has been trouble free. It gets about 19 in mixed driving and about 22-23 on the highway. I opinion is that the chinese 3.4 is an up to date version of the 3.4 with all of the earlier bugs (leaky gaskets) worked out. The Aisan tranny has also been great. The 5 speed really makes it quick. The 2010 version with the new v-6 should be a rocket!
  • My 08 has been trouble free with one exception, the piston slop when cold started. Yes it goes away when warmed up but the 3.4 has had this problem for 15 yrs. Come on GM, you think this may be one of the reasons you in so much trouble now?? I do agree the tranny works well and the 2010 looks very good inside and out.
  • gmanydaygmanyday Posts: 4
    I have an 08 nox sport fwd. Very satisfied with the car,however i've noticed when the temp reaches below -10 degrees f. the suspension /drivetrain gets noisy over bumps(if parked outside for several hours) sounds almost like ice caught up in the springs(not the case however).As well under acceleration sounds as if c.v joint grease is frozen. I have asked several nox owners if they have similar noises when cold and all reply in the negative, although they own base nox's, so perhaps the problem is only with the sport models lowered suspension, however sport model owners are hard to come by. Dealer claims only suspension noises they ever come across are the strut links(not the noise i'm hearing). Any other sport owners notice this problem or is it just me?? would appreciate feedback.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I have 08 LT AWD with 7108 km and had similar noises at -10 C and lower with the rear suspension. It one does it if i go over a sharp large bump in the road if mine continues in the warmer weather GM will be hearing about it. It sounds like the suspension is coming contact with the rubber travel stops making a knocking sound.

The sport Equinox sits two inches lower than the other Equinox's should make any real difference. Thanks for letting me know about your NOX.
  • Am making a buying choice where, on the face of it, the Equinox looks to be an attractive alternative to a RAV or a CRV. I'm concentrating on vehicles 2-5 years old, Hondas and Toyotas have a reputation of reliability...is the book in on 100K+ Equinoxes?

many thankx
    --steve...
    If your using the Nox for city driving it gets below average mileage but the V-6 is very torquie and accelerates very well for a mid size SUV. I would stay away from 2005 year NOX ,first year, and has had some problems . Cost to operation and maintenance is lower than CRV and RAV ,resale value is lower and reliabity is good .

My 08 NOX, I will keep until the family out grows the capacity size and hauling . Good ride and average interior quality, not so comfortable driver's seat could , they should have used the seat from the Mailbu which has alot much more support.

Overall if the price is right and don't mine GM quality it's a great buy for the buck.
  • gmanydaygmanyday Posts: 4
    The equinox as most G.M products should prove to be very reliable in the long run,in terms of value for your money its right up there. I'm a certified automotive technician for the past 13 years and I can honestly tell you that if you maintain the vehicle properly it will last just as long if not longer than its japanese counterparts.Honda CR-V's, as well as Toyota Rav-4"s that are post year 2000 are nowhere near as reliable as the pre 2000 vehicles, drivetrain problems, especially transmission related have become commonplace with these vehicles,contrary to popular belief these vehicles no longer sport the "legendary reliability" badge they used to.We are seeing more and more of them in the shop as time goes on.
    I have to agree with you, I have done regular maintenance on my 1990 Beretta and still runs very well just starting to show rust now.
    Change all the fluids and grease the suspension regularly care and attention and follow the maintenance schedule . It's nineteen years old with 318000 km and has service it's duty as regular and reliable transportion with some classic lines..Maybe having the five speed tranny and the 3.1 v-6 helped it from becoming a statics before other Beretta's from the same generation.
    Can someone tell me what's the best way to store 4 winter tires till next year (the tires are off the rim). I see people store them different ways. There must be only 1 good way to store them for so long?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,953
    The Tire Rack says to bag them and stack them in your basement.
    I drive a 2005 Equinox and my daughter bought a Aveo 5 (also a GM product) in may 2008.
    My warranty is long gone but my daughter's Aveo 5's is still active. Someone told her that since G.M. is in trouble right now her car's warranty is no longer valid. Can this be true?
    She heard that only those who buy GM cars from now on that their warranty will by respected by the government bur not the warranty of those who bought their car in 2008-07-06 ect...
    She also bought a extended warranty of 3 years so it's supposed to be on warranty until 2014 bumper to bumper. But now she's worry.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Your daughter's warranty is fine. It is rumors like this that make a poor economy worse. GM is still in business and even if they go into bankruptcy protection all warranties will be honoured.
  • clebo1clebo1 Posts: 78
    A piece of junk, lots of problems with brakes, starter sticking,water pump,thermostat,tensioners& oully,head gaskey could go ay any mileage.Their GM customer service service center at 1-800-222-1020 is attrocious.mnay letters no calls or definitive action when you ask them.Save you Money.Do nopt buy this piece of ZJunk the Chevy Equionx,I have over 50 pages of probelsm and 52 days where this vehicle(american made has been in the shop.Save your Money!!!bBuy foreign...WHAT AGENCY IN HE US GOVERNMENT IS BACKING GM SERVICE ISSUES IF GM IS BANKRUPT.I HAVE BEEN HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING THIS OUT WITH THE CHEVY EQUINOX AS INFERIOR PRODUCT!!!