Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    still enjoying my new nox...except for the window buttons! did anyone else receive a silver equinox mug and a 60 minute calling card from chevrolet? i actually received them before making my purchase.

i still haven't seen another nox on the road yet. of course, this is wyoming, but i have traveled to nebraska and colorado in it a few times. i'm thinking of personalized plates, either NOX or EQNX ??? we can only have 4 digits/letters in wyoming.
  • noxwannabenoxwannabe Member Posts: 34
    I got two silver mugs from my dealer, no calling card. If you have the xm radio you'll get a letter soon explaining the 3 month trial period on that.

I was in a pricy neighborhood over the weekend and the Equi stands out there too. I stopped at an open house and had people asking about it. I haven't seen one advertised yet and I haven't seen another on the road although I know they've sold more in town. Had to have some things loaded into it at a sporting goods shop the other day and the salesman was impressed with it too.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    the promise of the exterior, the Equinox would be the best small SUV ever made. They look great on the road.
  • nancys1nancys1 Member Posts: 21
    My nox is great, I love driving it, however, I have noticed it makes "creaking" noises when I slow down to make a turn..any ideas on what this noise is coming from? sounds like it needs oiling somewhere...
  • hpygolukyhpygoluky Member Posts: 4
    Got the Galaxy Silver, real fun to drive. Had a lady in a BMW X5 ask me if it was the new Bimmer. Have also been asked if it was a Toyota or Acura. People give me weird looks when I tell them its a chevy.

Question: I live in snow country, has anyone found an aftermarket dealer who will sell steel rims?? I want to mount 4 snows. Dealer wants $200 with tax for 1 rim, and says that only GM has this rim pattern. Wouldn't the rims from a VUE work?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Equinox is more RX300-ish (from the outside only) than anything to me.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Check tirerack for some steel rims. $200 is way too much for one!
    thankx for the heads up. I was quite frustrated to find out the cost at the dealership
    MDXish or 300rxish is fine by me, its the look when you tell its a chevy that I laugh about. Beside the wife thinks I'm sexy when I strap the NOX on, thats points in itself.
  • jrestjrest Member Posts: 26
    Anyone here who has the Equinox with Cloth seating? I've been reading people here not liking the cloth seating and now I'm a bit concerned because I ordered mine with cloth seating. Leather just didn't appeal to me since I'll be putting in a string bass and/or musical keyboard and amplifier and the hot,humid weather in St.Louis. Plus I'm notorious for having pencils in my back pocket and forget to take them out.
    BTW- my price for a "build your own" since they didn't have any in a 200 mile radius was $25,236. (Does not include any rebates/incentives since it is based on when the car arrives in mid-august.)

Salsa Red Metallic /Light Gray Cloth Interior
    AWD 1SD LT
    with optional:
    cd/mp3 player
    xm radio
    premium soundsystem, subwoofer/180watt amplifier
    sunroof

I have yet to see anyone driving one on the St.Louis roads.
  • senselesssenseless Member Posts: 46
    I hadn't even considered the Equinox until I actually saw it in person. I need rear storage and none of the compact sport utes had enough. To my surprise, the Nox rear storage area is quite large, when the rear seat is slid forward.

Why is this considered a compact, when it's the same size as a Honda Pilot, which is "midsize"? Maybe it's not expensive enough...

Since GM is so generous on every other vehicle they make, I was hoping for a decent incentive on the Equinox.

I see that there is no current rebate; just 0% for 3 year financing.

I thought there was a few thousand on the Equinox, just last week, but I'm not sure.

What has been the rebate history, so far? I'm not sure how long to wait.
    interior volume I believe. The Japanese have always been better at designing a car for maximum interior space.
    The only rebates I've seen for the Equinox was $1000, and that ended when May did. From June 1-15th was, $1,000 cash back or low financing, depending on how many months. I've not seen/heard of anything higher for the equinox. I'm hoping that in mid-august, when my special order comes in, bigger rebates/incentives will be in place. ;)
    The '04 Malibu history goes something like this: $500, $1000, $2000, $4000! Is this because the Malibu is a slow selling sedan that failed to meet expectations? I don't think it was as well received as the Equinox, which should sell better. Still, 0% for 3 years is not enough to rush me to buy model year 1 with an unproven repair record.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Just had our Bravada serviced today. I saw they have 0% for 3 years here in Ontario. I think it was 1.9% for 4. No cash back at all.

Seem to be selling with out much incentive though. They only had 2 in stock.
  • ormandormand Member Posts: 11
    My daughter has a Equinox with 1200 miles,when she makes a right turn there's a creaking noise on the left side. Also, the right front door has an air leak that she finds annoying. Taking it in to the dealer on WEDNESDAY.
    I was at a dealer that quite a few Equini with questionable add ons. Door edge guards $350. Console applique $725. Paint guard $225. Dealer installed leather $1295. Geez; the factory leather is half that; what's the point?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mop & glow, etching and accessories are big profit centers for the dealers.

Steve, Host
    I have an Equi with cloth seats and a 4 year old. I wish it had the tweed fabric like my old Rodeo which I vacuumed about once a year and my 2001 Dodge truck which has tweed too. I haven't had any problem with the cloth yet but I'm paranoid, especially since my hubby wanted the leather and I didn't want to be sweating on it. But the cloth does show every speck of loose dust it seems and with a pencil in your back pocket you could still make holes or even pencil marks. For a mom it's a pain that the cloth wraps around the back of the seats too where the kid in the car seat can put his sneakers on it all day. Who knows, I keep looking into seat covers.
    Noxwannabe-
    Thanks for your input.

Does any one have any suggestions as to what is the best way to keep the cloth seats as clean as new?
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    You could scotch guard them, its seals the fabric so that stuff won't absorb into it. And if they get dirty I've found that the cleaning instructions in the owner's manual work well to clean stains out of the seats.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Also don't go by the overall length of the car which has nothing to do with interior volume. A Pilot is very wide and can handle full 4x6 sheets of plywood laying flat on the floor. I doubt you could even get a 4 ft wide sheet of anything in an Equinox and the strut towers limit some items to sit over the towers.
    I test drove an LT tonight and liked it. Ride and handling was very good as was the seating position.

The interior dash was mostly hard plastic and on the cheap side. Then it came to me: How often do I feel the dashboard when I drive? Interior quality is probably the least important function of a vehicle. Still, the Escape and Pilot were much nicer on the inside.

The Escape doesn't have the cargo room and the Pilot is more expensive without a sunroof or XM.

Chevy needs to sweeten the deal before I buy. 0% for 5 years and I'm in.
    I'm glad to read someone else thinks along the same lines I do.
    Most everyone here is bashing about how cheap the center console/interior looks and I echo the sentiments of the post from "senseless". In my humble opinion, I test drove 2 different Nox's AWD 1SE and 1SD. (Leather seats / cloth seats respectively) and I didn't notice discomfort sitting on the cloth seats. Matter of fact, I felt like it gave me better back support. Plus it will take some time for the cloth seat to conform to your body. It's just like buying a new sofa,chair, bed, etc. I found the ride to be smooth/quiet and didn't realize I was doing 80 on the highway.

As for the "cheap interior", it maybe true so but I don't think it's that bad! But then again, the only cars I've owned. 90 Geo Metro, 98 Chevy Cavalier and soon to be Nox. Hideous = Scion (inside and out).

I believe for the price and upgrades you can get, the NOX is a great buy. I was able to get a NOX custom ordered for $25,200 (not including any rebates yet as I will get whatever deal is happening when the car arrives in Mid-August.) I got a LT AWD 1SD with sunroof, XM Radio, CD/MP3 player, 7 Speaker Premium with subwoofer and 180watt amp in Salsa Red. I can't get a rival vehicle even close with all those extras. My string bass fits nicely with the rear seat down and doesn't invade the front area. (The dealer even let me drive to the school I teach at to make sure the bass fit)
    The engine discussion all boils down to luck. Yes it has a chinese engine but so what??!?? The early Geo Metros (1990) had a chinese motor and my metro lasted 8 years! If you take care of your vehicle and don't have a lead foot, and keep up with the oil changes/maintenance, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are worried about it, buy an extended warranty.

There's never going to be the definitive perfect car at this price range!
    Custom ordering sounds like a good idea. That way, there is at least a shot that an offer may be in force when it arrives. I don't think it'll be much, as the vehicle seems to be fairly priced and clearly the category leader. I'm just not used to GM not offering a deal and don't want to be sorry later.

The high $5000 owner loyalty offers on Tahoe, Trailblazer, Ranier may be because they're marked up to be marked down. I read GM has huge margins at list price on SUVs. Perhaps they're trying something new with the Equinox and pricing it more fairly from the start.

PS: I thought it looked best Gold, then Red. Blue (purple?) was a bit out there for all but the most adventurous.
  • surfergirlsurfergirl Member Posts: 2
    I heard about this board on another Equinox forum & read that it is very helpful. I am in the market for an Equinox in the next month or so. I send out about 8 "request a quotes" on the Chevy website yesterday. Here is what I am looking for:
    Black Equinox w/ gray interior
    16" cast aluminum wheels
    I like the one solid color look on the LT models. I got a quote from a dealer for the Black LS with the 16" aluminum wheels for about 20,934. I also asked them to give me a quote on one with leather & a sunroof. He told me for an LT model w/ leather & a sunroof add $2900 to the total which would put me at about $23,800. How does that price sound to you guys? I don't need all the crap like Onstar, upgraded cd players, heated seats, etc. What do you think I could the price to on a base LT w/ a sunroof & maybe leather? Do you think the leather is worth it? Any tips you have for getting prices down to the bare minimum, dealing with sales people, or anything else I should know? Also, I noticed that the incentives are down the toilet. I heard someone mention new ones on Aug. 2. I was planning on getting one in August anyway, but should I definitely wait for the new rates. Do you think they will be better than they are now? AGGGGG so many questions!! Anyway, if anyone can help & give me some advise I would appreciate it so much!
    Surfergirl,
    Try www.cars.com and build your vehicle how you want it. That's what I did! You will see the "MSRP" and "INVOICE PRICE". In knowing that, you can walk to any dealer and show them the printout and I'll guarantee you they'll give you a good deal because they'll know you've done your homework and know your internet savy. That's what I did and I ended up getting my car (with the features I mentioned in an earlier post) for $25,200 (not including rebates) and the car-buying process was non-stressful, repeat NON-STRESSFUL. I was able to build my own and should be arriving in Mid-August, just in time for the new promotion...hopefully a GM loyalty or some sort of allowance. MSRP for the car how i wanted it was $26,800. So if you're not in an immediate need for the car, maybe you should get your custom order.
    As for leather seats, I'd stay away from it but definitely go for the sunroof. (I did, 1st ride that I will own that has it). I know many people are bashing cloth seats but if you use scotchgard on them, you shouldn't have any problems but really it's a personal preference issue.
    Good luck!
  • surfergirlsurfergirl Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jrest! Why are you against the leather? I ask b/c I am not totally sold on the leather. The only reason I am thinking about getting it is b/c if I have kids down the road, it will be easier to mop up spills & I have to Labs that like to shed everywhere. Also, I have a couple quotes. What do you guys think of these quotes:

Black LT 1SD w/ gray leather & a sunroof for $23813

Black LT 1SC w/ gray cloth, 17 in wheels, sunroof, & dimming mirror w/ temp & compass for $23238.

Do you think those are good deals or are they too high. What do you guys think I can get them down to?

Thanks a bunch!!!
  • carsntruckscarsntrucks Member Posts: 22
    I got the leather. I think it also increases the perception of the vehicle being more upscale and makes the interior look better. There are many posts of people that have got the cloth and questioned their decision afterwards. It really comes down to personal preference.

Regarding price, I don't know how much dealers are dealing. It will depend partly on how many they have in stock. If you order you may be able to get one at $ 700 over dealer invoice. That would be a good price. I took delivery on the first Equi of anyone on this board so my price was higher than what you should be able to get. I got 6.5% off MSRP, which is not a particulary great deal. But I had to pull the trigger because my $ 4500 of GM dollars was depleting rapidly (Down from $ 5400). I would think if you could exactly the vehicle you wanted at 8.5% or more off MSRP, you would be doing well.

Good Luck!
    I'm considering the 17" wheels because they are sportier looking. It looks like the actual tire diameter is the same, because the profile of the tire is lower. Does this mean it'll be easier to scrape the wheels on a curb? Not that I'm a bad parker, but it has happened a few times. Are there other drawbacks? Tire cost?

Also, what exactly is the CD MP3 option? Is there a direct Ipod input or does it just play MP3 CDs?
    The CD MP3 option is for mp3 cd's, it doesn't have an input plug for an mp3 player
    I'm partially against the leather because I currently live in St.Louis (where it is extremely hot/humid) and I can't imagine the leather being very comfortable in that weather. Plus someone else mentioned (and it's a good point) that if you sit in one seat for a long time, over time it will wear out, where the other seats which won't be used as much will look good, therefore an eyesore for driver's seat.

For you who has two labs, wouldn't the nails tear up the leather seating?!!? With two LABS, I'd say go with the cloth and just put a bed sheet or something to cover the seats.
    According to Edmunds, but not the GM website. It came up $1000 or special financing 5 yr 2.9%, 4 yr 1.9%, 3 year 0.9%

The problem is delivery must be taken by Aug 2. If I order in the next week, and it's delayed beyond that, do I still get the deal? Can I refuse the order, if the incentive goes away?
    From what I was told from 2 seperate dealers, you get the incentive that is in effect at the time the final paperwork is done on the car. That promotion you mentioned is the one that is currently happening. That's why I just went ahead and special ordered mine. I have a feeling that after August 2nd, better incentives will be in place since it will be closer to the end of the year.
    I got my Equi at a Best Price dealer for $210 over the invoice price when I worked up all my options here at Edmunds. If you are a member of Costco you may be able to go through their car buying program, a local dealer said their set rate was $300 above cost (in this case cost=invoice) All incentives are in addition to that.

Seats, I got cloth because I didn't want to stick to leather in the summer or freeze in the winter. I don't take the dog with me anymore but friends who do swear by leather (dogs would stay in back area any which is carpeted but hair goes everywhere). The problems we've seen online has the leather adjustable seat as being less comfortable than the others. My cloth non-adjustable is very comfortable after I adjusted the headrest up.

I'm one who likes a less refined interior. Give me classy styling on the outside and "I can take it" styling on the interior. My take is that the cloth seats are too refined because they are plush instead of tweed. I like the black parts of the interior because they won't show dirt, the gray parts will eventually.

I've been leaving the off side seat down (the car seat still fits in the middle) and the cargo tray upside down at the first setting. I stow my folding chairs for t-ball games and never have to move them to put in groceries. We throw in a easy-up canapy onto the folded down seat to take to games. I've thrown in bags of sand, soil aid, and a few cement blocks onto the cargo tray for redoing my garden.

Have you noticed it has "theatre" seating? The back seat is higher than the fronts.
    After many hours in an AWD LT, I have a better opinion. For all of you complaining about the low tech motor, forget it. This vehicle is fast, quiet and smooth. It feels like much more than 185 horsepower and is ideal with the 5 speed transmission.

The electric steering always feels right and handling is exceptional. Seat comfort, with leather, is firm, but comfortable. The electric seat is very adjustable, more so than the manual seat.

Drive-ability is excellent and it's a pleasure to drive.

Complaints about my road test:
    1) There was an annoying subsonic noise at 25 mph, but only if the sunroof is wide open. Close it an inch and it goes away. I guess it's some kind of wind interference.
    2) There was a faint grinding noise from under the center of the car, when cornering hard. As long as it's normal, it's not a big deal.
    3) The visibility towards the rear corners could be better. The view out the back is blocked by the large head rests. This made parking a little difficult for me at first, but I started to get used to it. Is this a problem in most suvs? Fortunately, the side mirrors are excellent.

All in all, surprisingly good, except for the rear visibility.
    Why have 4 wheel ind. suspension, electric power steering, and XM radio with "low tech" OHV's? Might as well have a couple beam axles, constant ratio hydraulic steering, and AM only sound.
    My Honda Accord used to go in for regular, expensive valve adjustments. This is a drawback of complicated design.

I can't find any fault with the Equinox powertrain. Plus, what else delivers 19/25MPG with regular gasoline in 3500 pound SUV with a strong V6?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    A Pilot EX AWD weighs 4400lbs and gets 17/22. The Vue AWD with the Honda 3.5L V6 gets 19/25. If GM can put the significantly better 3.5L in the Vue, why wouldn't they put it in the Equinox?
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    My guess is GM wants to use their own product. Keep in mind that for every part GM purchases from another company it's eating into GM's profits.

The best way to avoid that is to use your own product, however, if you don't have a comparable product, you buy it from a competitor thats willing to let you use their technology.

I'm sure that GM is probably using that Honda engine only until it can develop its own or maybe its some type of trade deal.
    I've seen quite a few posts complaining about how difficult it is to see out the rear windown when parking because of the rear seat headrests.

I'm not sure if its just that I don't own an SUV but I find it odd that people seem to use the method of looking through the rear window to park.

For me (even in a 99 G20) its seems so much easier to use my side view mirrors. I use those because I think, looking through the rear view mirrors or looking over your shoulder through the back window gives you a false sense of how close you are to an object behind you.

I mean I still use the rear view and look over the shoulder but not nearly as much as I use my side view mirrors, particularly when parallel parking.
    The engine in the NOX is built in China and installed in Canada. It's been shown a while ago where this engine costs much more money than the same engine built in the U.S. It ain't profits.

As for the Accord needing regular valve adjustments. I haven't heard of a Accord NEEDING valve adjustments in years. I've owned 5 of them.

If you want to dredge up the past though. I have hjeard of this very engine blowing head gaskets up til just a couple years ago. I'll take the valve adjustments thank you.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    What could be more real about how close you are then just looking over your shoulder? I think the headrest blocks using the rear quarter window, a natural blind spot to your right side view mirror.
    I just realized that I do not know how to parallel park, properly. I usually look out the side windows and never use the mirror. I'll have to look up the right method and practice on my neighbor's cars. Thanks, NPGMBR.

Yes, the valve adjustment thing every 30K is ancient history; weak point.

I still insist that the Equinox with this engine is surprisingly good. The speedo goes up to 130mph, so it must be fast. ;)
    gee35coupe - The engine I was referring to was the Honda engine in the VUE, and I SUGGESTED that the reasons for which GM might be using it were either political, Trade or until they can develop their own of equal performance. I assume your comment about the Accord was intended for someone else since I made no comment on that topic.

Senseless – I was in no way saying that anyone else’s way of parking was incorrect. I was only stating that I thought it odd to so many comments (not only in this forum) suggest that headrests get in the way. For myself, using the side view mirrors in parking situations (parallel in particular) has proven to be the best for me.
    And I SUGGESTED buying more V6's for the VUE would be just as economical as importing engines from China. Especially since it makes 60 more horses and get the same MPG. I'm sure a 250 hp NOX would be an even easier sell than 185 hp.
    The grinding noise while turning the steering wheel got so annoying I put the car in the shop this morning..have heard nothing from the service dept as of yet just what the problem is.
    Anyone else experience this noise? Very noticeable while driving slowly as in a parking lot...arghhhh!
    Other than this, no problems!
    Then I guess the question is, would the Honda V6 being used in the VUE fit in the Equinox?

If the answer is no, then you have your answer.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that Honda's 3.5L V6 would fit in the Equinox, its just not there because that many units aren't in the contract between Honda and GM. Its a trade, GM gives Honda some Isuzu diesels and Honda gives them the 3.5L V6. I think that the contract involves Honda giving GM 50,000 engines a year, which isn't enough for both the Equinox and the Vue and beside the engine wasn't meant to go in the Vue in the first place, they just put them there because the Saturn project the Honda engines were going to go into got canceled. I look for the Equinox to move to the 3.5L thats in the Malibu in the future and when the contract with Honda ends I look for them to put the "High Feature" 3.2L V6 in the Vue since its the offspring of the 3.0L that was used in the past, or possibly even throw the 3.6L V6 so they don't take a step backwards. But the 3.6L might be overkill in a "cute-ute."
    Well the mechanic does not know what the problem with the grinding noise is..mine is the first Equinox they have had this problem with..so...the dealer is giving me a rental car til the problem is resolved.
    He said it may be something to do with a strut..they have had similar issues with the Trailblazers. I said to keep it there til they figure it out!!
    ARGGGGG