Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• You can do like I did. Buy yourself a locking gas cap. But always carry the key with you.
    or

A double barrel 12 gauge rifle.
    Stay with the locking gas cap.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I don't know whether the Equinox has one but many vehicles have something called "roll over protection" which prevents gasoline spills in the event of a roll over and has the added benefit of making it difficult or impossible to siphon gasoline. A locking gas cap will help but a determined gas pirate will drill through the gas tank itself so you could be trading one headache for an even bigger one.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I've heard of a 12 gauge shotgun, but never a 12 gauge rifle. :)
    Maybe the grooves in the barrel got worn away and the extra space allows for 12 gauge! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I'm sorry but I'm a french speaking person and our expressions is not exactly the same as in the english language. The principal matter here is that you understood what I was talking about no matter how I said it. Thanks to you, now I know that a 12 gauge is called a SHOTGUN in english and not a RIFLE. I'll go to bed less stupid tonight.
    At least I tried to express myself in your language.
    Now, you try to write me something in french... I did my best in english and you understood me. Great.
    Can you do the same?
    40yearfan meant no offense. Your English is excellent which is far more than I can say about my French! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,781
    And you can buy a 12 gauge rifle barrel (to put in your shotgun) for even more confusion.

Shall we get back to the Equinox?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I'd probably prefer a pistol at that range anyway! :D
  • Cami shifts gears on SUV

General Motors Canada will assemble a new sport utility vehicle at its Ingersoll plant.
    By NORMAN DE BONO, SUN MEDIA

General Motors Canada is scrapping the sport utility vehicles it makes at Cami Automotive to assemble a new GMC SUV -- and another new vehicle will be added to the plant, automotive industry officials say.

GM Canada announced last month the Ingersoll plant will get new investment and a new product in 2008, but was short on details. A picture is emerging of one new SUV and another new vehicle, which may be a hybrid.

"It's going to be a whole new generation vehicle, a whole new GMC SUV," replacing the Torrent and Equinox, said Bruce Kavelman, plant manager for Rieter Automotive in London, which supplies the Cami plant with carpeting and insulation for vehicle floors.

"They are also talking about a whole new vehicle, but that has not yet been identified. It may be a small car, but there has been no confirmation yet."

GM Canada spokesperson Stew Low said there will be a new vehicle for Cami, but it's not a car.

"It is a new program. I will not say what segment it is in, but it is not a car."

low declined comment on speculation it may be a hybrid.

"We are not giving any details as to what the future product will be at this point. I will say any news is several months away," he said.

As for its hybrid lineup, GM is moving aggressively into the hybrid market in 2008. It has the Saturn Vue sport utility vehicle, Aura car, Tahoe and Yukon sport utility vehicles, Cadillac Escalade, Malibu and trucks Silverado and Sierra.

Tim Carrie, president of the London and District Labour Council, has also heard Cami is getting a small, hybrid car.

"I just hope whatever it is, it is successful, that it gets the business. I think there is definitely a good future at Cami," Carrie said.

Mike Van Boekel, chairperson of CAW Local 88 representing Cami workers, hasn't heard details of what the new product is.

"They are keeping it very tight-lipped here," he said.

Whatever the product is, it is believed no new jobs will be added.

"I just want to keep what we have now," Van Boekel said.

Automotive consultant Dennis DesRosiers isn't surprised GM is being secretive, saying competition is fierce and it wouldn't take a competitor long to respond if the details are known.

"When they talk product, they never want to let the details out. It is the closest-guarded secret. They have to keep competitors guessing," he said.

Cami now makes the Chevrolet Equinox, Pontiac Torrent and Suzuki XL7 sport utility vehicles. Cami employs about 2,700 workers, 2,100 of whom are CAW members. Last year, it made about 170,000 vehicles.
  • So far so good! Had turn signal stalk replaced under warranty when first purchased but otherwise nothing but reliable, routine driving. 15,000 miles so far. Get about 19 mpg mixed driving. I love the XM radio and wish now that I had the Onstar option as well. The seats remain very comfortable. The engine and the 5 speed tranny continue to be wonderful and deliver very good performance! I'll bet the new 6 speed and hot motor in the new sport version will be amazing.

On another note this is the first car that I have owned with GM's oil monitor. I am old-school and believe in 3,000 oil changes but I have been trusting the oil monitor. It comes on about every 4,500 miles. I did change out the oil at 500 miles with Mobile One synthetic and have been running that since.
  • Sorry grosloup. I wasn't making fun of you. That's why I included the smiley with my post.

For a Frenchman, you speak excellent English. I know a few French words, but my favorite 2 words are Barton & Guestier. I fell in love with their Cabernet many years ago and still think it is one of the best wines ever produced.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    Hey! No problem man, you're cool.
    If you like good wines, here are a few good ones...
    Barbera, Sangiovese, Zinfadel, Merlot, Cabernet Savignon, Pinot Noir.
    I know this is not a wine forum, but to make it more automotive I'll add "Remember, don't drink and drive".
    I'm presently driving a 2005 chevrolet Equinox LT FWD. (s.u.v.) and thinking of trading it in for a 2008 Cobalt LT sport coupe. This is were I need help ... my friends are all telling me not to do it. They tell me that I have more protection in a Equinox and that it is safer to drive than the Cobalt and that the Equinox is more reliable than the Cobalt.
    Up here we get lots of snow in winter. This could be a factor ?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Lots of snow does not bode well for a Cobalt. The ground clearance is far less than your Equinox. Stay with a small SUV preferably with all wheel drive,
  • I hope you didn't by that Equinox. My 2006 is still under the warranty, uses 1 quart of oil per 2,000 miles and the dealer says that is acceptable according to GM.
    I did my own oil change and out of the 4 quarts that the car takes, I didn't recoup
    not even 2 quarts.
  • I have a 2006 Equinox,LT that uses 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. The dealer says that this is acceptable. What do you think? Have you the same problem with your Equinox?
    If the dealer had informed you at the time of purchase, olf this consumption, would you buy this car?
    Losing 2 quarts of oil between oil changes doesn't seem to normal or acceptable to me at all. Did you check all your gaskets for oil leaks? (head gasket, oil pan gasket) or your drain plug? If all these are dry, well your oil is burning away probably caused by a mechanical problem usually "worn piston rings" or a "valve" problem. I drove my 05 LT Nox 4,500 miles on my summer vacation (mostly highway 70 mph) and I'd say I had about ½ to 1 cup of oil missing at my oil change. It was dirty but it was almost all there. If it's still on warranty fight it out because after that the dealer will tell you that it's not acceptable anymore cause you'll be the guy paying for it.
  • IF losing 2 quarts of oil between oil change is normal send a letter to gm to keep their junk and it would be the last gm product i have a neon with 207 000 km that doesnt need oil between oil change and with the motor starting to knock.
  • My 2006 Equinox has Mobil One in it and does not use any measurable oil between changes. I follow the oil change light which works out to about 4500 milbes between changes.
  • I have owned my Equinox for about 2 years now, and just the other day, I was loading up my hockey gear, and one of my teammates actually asked "Hey, when did you get your Lexus?"

HA, i couldnt believe it. I told him it wasnt a lexus, and then he started asking more about the EQ.

Anyone else have this happen?
  • bc0831bc0831 Posts: 1
    I am looking for a car for my wife and I looked at a Equinox LT. I do not know anything about these cars. Are they reliable? Do they have good gas mileage?
  • angie7angie7 Posts: 3
    Hi There, We have had our Equinox for a little over a year now and Love It. It has lots of room and seems to be running fine. We think you get a lot of vehichle for the money with an Equinox.
  • philwphilw Posts: 5
    Dear Angie07,

I have had my Equinox since new about a year ago. I t now has 40,000kms and has been relatively trouble free. It is my work car. I ts an LT with leather and Sunroof. But get this , the outside mirrors have no heaters; not vet good for the Canadian winter.
    May I suggest you look at the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Tuscon. I would say that dollar ofr dollar the Hyundais are a better value. More featues less money equal or better reliability with the Hyundai. Better warranty with the Hyundai.

The only reason I went to Equinox was because I re-newed my lease early so GM did everything to take me off the market.

If you get a chance, have a real good look at the Hyundais
    My equinox is a 05 LT and I love it. (3 yrs old on 24th of may). Good smooth ride, lots of room. Good visibility except for the windshield pillar (but you'll get used to it). Just turned 22,000 miles on it and the only problem that I had where the front rotors, had to be machined twice because of vibration when braking.
    As for the gas mileage.... made 3 trips over 3,000 milles each (mostly highway) and everytime I average 25 - 26 m.p.g. @ 70 m.p.h. but in city driving never got more than 14 - 15 m.p.g. and even worst in winter driving. 12 m.p.g.

I'm very satisfied with my nox.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Having driven both the Equinox and the Cobalt - I doubt you'll be happy trading from the Equinox DOWN to the rattletrap, noisy, Cobalt. If mileage is everything to you, you may make a few MPGs on the deal, but now much is misery worth? You should be getting 19 combined MPG in the Equinoxious - the cobalt may get you 24. 5 MPG will equate to about 3 bucks less a month in gas expense.....worth it? You have to decide. To me, it's not.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I would have made a big mistake trading my Equinox for a Cobalt. I'm taking your word for it, you seem to know what you're talking about. People like you should be on these forums more often to help others like you just did for me. I would have made the worst decision of my life. Thanks again.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have a 2005 Equinox LT FWD, a 2006 Cobalt LS Coupe with manual trans and a 2007 Cobalt LS Sedan with automatic in my family. All three were purchased new, and none of them have had any problems to date, only normal scheduled maintenance.

Your MPG ratings are quite accurate and match mine. My annual MPG averages are Nox 19.5, Cobalt Sedan automatic 24.5 and Cobalt Coupe manual, 28.5. If each car is driven 1000 miles per month the cost for gas at $3 per gallon would be

Nox 1000/19.5=51.28galx$3=$153.84
    Cob Auto 1000/24.5=40.82galx$3=$122.46, mo. savings vs Nox=$31.38
    Cob Man 1000/28.5=35.09galx$3=$105.27, mo. savings vs Nox=$50.57

Since my under 20 kids drive the Cobalts and pay their own expenses, the $31/$51 savings per month is significant for them.

However, I agree, the Equinox is much better and safer for winter driving. And that is more important to me than MPG/Gas cost.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Did you know that the engine in your Equinox is made in China? Did the MFG sticker say so? Did anyone tell you about the engine being made in China and brought to the USA and put in your Equinox?
    The reason I ask is on one car dealers web sites tells about how to overcome customers objection of parts being made in China. The article states that this started in 2005, ans as little was said by customers that GMC is planning on adding more China made parts in all GM vehicles.
    How do you feel about this?

farout
    The Equinox has a 3.4 L LNJ engine that is built in China by Shanghai G.M. and the transmission (transaxle) is built in Japan and all the plastic parts are made in Taiwan and in the U.S. The engines and transmissions are sent to Vancouver by ship then by land to Ingerstoll Ontario Canada (near Toronto) where the Equinox is assembled at Cami Enterprise.
    The 2008 Equinox Sport has a 3.6 L. engine (this engine is built in the U.S.)
    So I figured that the Equinox is only assembled in North America and that's about it.
    Can we say that the Equinox comes from North America? Hmmm!
    Mine is a 2005 LT.
  • philwphilw Posts: 5
    So you are concerned that your 3.4 is assembled in China? Let me share my experience with the 3.4. In the past I had 2 Pontiac Montanas both with the 3.4 engines in them. From day 1 these two engines sounded like they were going to fall apart they were so noisy.
    The Chinese assembled 3.4 in my 2007 Equinox is so different both in sound and performance, that I had to take a second look to see if it really was a 3.4. I have 50,000Kms (30,000miles) on this car and it hasn't missed a beat; and it's quiet.
    I think that the overpaid north american union boys should take note; it's all about workmanship.
    Furthermore, Why on earth would GM build a vehicle destined for the north american marketplace and not include heated outside mirrors? I purchased my Equinox fully loaded (so I thought). During the first winter storm I noticed that my outside mirrors were not de-icing. So I took the Equinox in to have this fixed only to find out that Equinoxs don't come with heated mirrors. You can have heated leather seats, an sunroof, great looking chrome rims and a great sounding XM boom box but no heated mirrors
    Did GM miss the boat on this one? You bet!! Take a look around at Hyundai, Honda, VW, ...al the foreign brands. These companies understand the needs of the north american marketplace. The least expensive Hyundai made had heated mirrors.
    I like everything about my Equinox is does what I need it to do however, all things considered (price, fit and finish and bang for the buck) I will probably be going to a Santa Fe next. By the way these are also assembled in the US of A.