Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox

Comments

• grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    I bought a 2005 Equinox (new). Now I wonder when would be the best time for me to trade it in so it would be to my advantage? Some say for the first 3 years you shouldn't trade a car, you loose to much. Is it at better at 3 yrs, 4... 5 or more?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    The short answer is "It depends!" :)

If your Equinox is in good running condition then I don't see a need to trade it in. The trade off is that if you keep it you won't be making car payments (!) but as the car gets older you may have to put more money into maintenance. My personal choice would be to drive it as long as I could but it's your decision in the end. If you feel the need to have the latest and greatest then you have to include that into the equation too. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kmausskmauss Posts: 74
    Hi there,
    One of the vehicles I've got on my long list of considerations for next year is the Equinox. I have looked at them, and I think they are very intelligently laid out, comfortable, good size (not too big, not too small) ,etc. The only reason I didn't buy one last time I was car shopping was that I was not crazy about how it drove. I thought it was very underpowered. Have I been given to understand that some of the engine problems have been worked out? Or that you can now buy one with a slightly bigger engine?

The other big issue that I'd be curious about is their long term investment worth. My current vehicle is a lease, but I don't think I want to keep doing that time after time. In looking at this forum, I don't begin to see the number of "problem topics" that I see under the Jeep forums for example (scary!) and I haven't heard too many people who have had them talk about a lot of repair issues. Would like to hear from some longer term owners, and info about the engines? Many thanks! :)
    Karen
  • philwphilw Posts: 5
    Karen,
    First of all, a car is not an investment. It is something you buy as a necessity. North American cars are some of the worst for holding their value. Generally speaking most North American cars are worth less than 1/2 their original value after 3 years. The Equinox would be the same. The retail value may be slightly higher than 1/2 of the original value after 3 years however the wholesale value( what a dealer will pay for one is surely less than 1/2 of the original value.
    I have had my Equinox for 18 months (2007) and I currently have 36,000 miles on it. I don't find it underpowered at all. I live in Eastern Ontario in Canada; the car was built up here in Ingersoll for the North American market. One thorn in my side is that it does not have heated mirrors. To me that is a necessity in Canada. The centre console is very poorly designed; if you drop something down there it's like gone in a big black hole. I got this car because I ended a GMAC lease early and so I was tied in to getting another GM product to avoid penalties.
    I will drive this car to the end of its lease at 60.000 miles. I don't anticipate any catastrophic failures. The major components seem to be holding up fine.
    What I have observed is that there is better value in a Hyundai Santa Fe or even a Veracruz. Hyundais have come a long way over the past few years and have become serious players in this market. Just this W/E I did a brake job an a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. This vehicle had 150,000 Kms (90,000 miles)on it and it was on its second set of rotors and pads. I replaced the rear shoes the front calipers and pads and rotors. All else on this car is solid. The engine is quiet and runs like a top.
    My point is, don't jump in to an Equinox before having a thorough look at the Hyundais. The value for the dollar is far superior in a Hyundai than it is in an Equinox. I have owned Hyundais since 1986 and not one of them has ever cost me a dime over and above regular maintenance. In fact the Hyundai vehicles cost me less per mile to maintain than my North American cars.
    I hope this give you a little bit of fuel for thought when picking your next car.

Phil.
    Hi Phil,
    First of all, a car is not an investment. It is something you buy as a necessity. North American cars are some of the worst for holding their value.

Totally agree with you there! I think when I said investment, I meant more as in something worth keeping after a lease would expire than not. I know all cars are really just a money pit!

And no worries on jumping into anything -- I am definitely taking my time and have promised myself that I will look at everything out there. I am more seeing what long term issues might be out there.

Thanks! :)
    Karen
  • Karen,
    For us it is a long term commitment and good investment. We will probably keep it 10 years minimum. It is my wife's vehicle and she bought it for hauling our two boys, and for her business. She fell in love with this (New at the time) 2005 Equinox LT, which has a sunroof, leather interior and exterior is in Galaxy Silver.

One of the features that sold her was that the arm rest moves out of the way, and opens up the center to put her hand bag and other things. This GM innovation has made alot of women happy. Almost all SUV's have these space robbing clumsy center consoles, with no place to conveniently put you bag of goods or a womens bag.
    My wife has her own business. She can fold & lock down the front passenger seat flat, and put her LapTop PC on the flat seat platform. It will stay there while she drives and she can use it when she is parked, very convenient and smart. Totally Cool!

For safety, Equinox has airbags, traction control, antilock brakes, 5 star rating and the newer ones have stabililty control. All these safety features are there if you need them. We live up North and she drives the Equinox thru the winter snow with great handling and control.

As for resale value, it depends how much you paid below List Price. For us, we got a great deal with incentives and rebates, that after 3 years, we could sell it for $2000 less than what we paid for it.

So far, we had the Equinox over three years and has been trouble free for 37,000 miles.

GM has made the Equinox reliable, with extreamly low maintenance, and easy to drive. The best part is we save $600+ every 60,000 miles, since I don't have replace a timingbelt/waterpump that you would have to do in alot of these other foreign vehicles.

So far, the Equinox is still a keeper for us. ;)
    Hi Jim,
    Thank you very much for that post. I too am very impressed with the interior design of them. I think they definitely had some women helping to design them -- seriously, no offense to any guys out there, but a lot of SUV type vehicles were clearly designed to look tough and macho and not have an ounce of practicality in the interior! (i.e where to stash your purse, etc.)

Whatever I end up getting next, I'm looking at keeping it on the long term, so I'm trying to be a smart shopper. I am also happy to hear that they handle well in bad weather. I live in southern PA, which is hit or miss for bad winters. Sometimes we get off easy, sometimes it's a snow/ice/sleet mess every week, so bad weather handling is another thing I put into the mental mixture.

Thanks again! :)
    Karen
  • Hi, kmauss. I have a 2005 Equinox LT with upgraded upholstery, bells & whistles. It is a low-mileage vehicle. It hauls my frail dad, senior ladies, groceries, rolling walkers and folding walkers nicely. My only major complaint is that its 44 foot turning circle makes it hard to park in Marsh Hometown Market store & church parking lots. My home town driving speed ranges from 20 to 35 mph with lots of stops & gos so the 14 MPG is lower than what was posted for 2005MY. All it has needed is oil changes & tire rotations. As to the motor; it does have get up & go both in town & on the highway. Just about all you have to do is put the peddle to the metal; then steer where you want to go. I plan on keeping blue boy as long as my WWII VFW dad is alive. We get snow, ice & salt here. With the Traction Control on, higher ground clearance, tires properly inflated, downshift to a lower gear, & a lower speed you shouldn't have very many problems. Turn off the TC to rock out of a slick spot should you be unlucky enough to get stuck (use plain clay kitty litter for grit under the tires). :blush: daddysangel
  • Thank you very much for that post! I appreciate the info. I'm very far from making a decision, but I think the Equinox has gotten an unfair bad rap. They get poorly rated by Consumer Reports and things like that, but literally everyone I've ever talked to that has one really likes it, has few if any problems and has no intention of trading it.
    Karen
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I'm looking for the build date of a 2008 LT AWD Equinox. Last time I did this,a helpful GM tech searched the last six or eight numbers of the Vin and told me on which day and week it was built. So if someone out there could help me again here is the last few #'s of the VIN F086035555
    Russ
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Try this: How to Decode VIN Numbers

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter is interested in talking with satisfied owners of a 2005-2006 Chevy Equinox who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 21, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,

Jonathan Wahl
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It's the first time I drive with winter tires in 33 yrs of driving. Last night the car in front of me made a sudden stop, when I applied the brake at my surprise I slid and almost rear-ended the car in front of me. On another occasion, I was turning after making a "dead stop" and when I starting to turn, my wheels spun making a "screeching" sound (first time I make my tires spin, I was surprised again.

Is it normal for a winter tire to do so on dry pavement? or my "new" tires are no good?

Both incidents never happened when I had my 4 season tires on even with there 30,000 milles on them.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    I see that you're in Western Quebec from another posting you made. And didn't Quebec mandate winter or studded tires starting this winter?

What style and brand of tire did you wind up with?

Gonna be interesting if this edict has unintended consequences and causes more accidents up there.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, winter tires are mandatory everywhere in Quebec starting this year and probably other provinces in Canada will follow in the futur. The only think that worries me is that lots of people out there bought their tires early (like me) and never drove on dry asphalt with winter tires. I bought and installed mine a bit early because I didn't want to wait and be caught in the "winter tire stampede" that will happen this year.

My winter tires are "Arctic Claw's" made by Vanderbuilt a division of Cooper Tires.
    I don't know enough about tires to speculate whether the rubber compound for winter driving is less effective on dry pavement. You may want to check over in Tires, tires, tires. Some tire pros hang out in there now and then.

Oh, and check out the thread here:

tiff_c, "Snow/Ice winter tires" #552, 2 Oct 2007 2:41 am

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• moz28moz28 Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 2005 Equinox LT w/ 24K miles.The list price is $10,995. I will be trading in a 2001 Volvo s60 Turbo w/135K miles on her. A fabulous car, but starting to get a little tired - I commute 100 miles a day mostly on highways, although the speed runs from 67 to 4.....traffic...I have never owned an SUV before, and I am afraid of roll overs. Can you all tell me really if this is a good idea? I have researched, and think that I will need to put 17" tires on it to make it run better - any advice will really really be appreciated - thanks!
    I own a 05 Equinox with 30K on it and I adore this vehicule.

Here are some S.U.V.'s that I had in the pass (all chevrolet).... 84 s-10 Blazer, 89 s-10 Blazer, 94 s-10 Blazer, 98 Tracker and now my 05 Equinox LT FWD.

Never had problems with or scared with rollovers. It's true that they say S.U.V.'s are more dangerous but if you drive your S.U.V normally, I guess there's no problem. The only S.U.V. rollover that I saw was someone who thought he had a tank and was realy inclined in a hillside and.... I don't need to explain what happened next. You can't compare Blazers with Equinox, but still It's a fun machine to drive.

P.S My Equinox came with 235/65/16 Bridgestone tires and still got theme on and they give a good ride.
  • moz28moz28 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much - I'm sure you're right. I am just used to sitting low in the saddle, as it were....my last car was a 1999 Z28 (hence my user name...) had a corvette engine in it - wowee!! My other question for everyone is - do you think this sounds like a fair price for this truck? I'm sort of out of my league when it comes to prices for used vehicles - I just can't afford a new car right now, and I need something that will be (a) reliable; (b) keep me safe. So, waddya think? Thanks!!!
    If someone sells a 2005 LT Equinox he could ask between 7,300$ to 13,300$ (private sale) or the value for a trade-in is between 6,200$ to 11,800$ always depending on the equipment, condition and millage of the vehicule.
  • I have an 06 Chevy Equinox (not AWD).

I am headed to the mountains for Thanksgiving and want to know if I can put regular chains on the back tires? Somewhere we thought we heard you could not use regular chains. I asked the dealer and they keep giving me conflicting answers so I thought I would ask someone on here. :)

Can I use regular chains or do I need to buy cables instead?

We don't go the snow often so we want to find the cheapest solution.

Thank you!
    we want to find the cheapest solution

I got my last two sets of chains cheap at the local thrift stores. :shades:

Now, if someone can just tell you if you'll have to get cables instead of chains or maybe you can use S chains. I don't suppose the info is in the owner's manual?

Btw, I usually put chains on the drive axle - the front in your case.

How to Install Tire Chains

• Are you as surprised as I am that GM doesn't even offer heated side mirrors on the Nox? I have contacted a company called Muth Mirrors they build the side mirrors with the LED turn signal arrows in the side mirror glass, they also can add a heated model, if enough people show interest. So lets all email to " sales@muthco.com " And show them there is an interest in the mirrors for the Nox.

Thank you, and good night
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Very surprised!
    My 1999 Venture had heated mirrors and what a charm that was. If I remember they were on the same switch as the rear defogger.
    Now I own a 2005 Equinox L.T. FWD and no heated mirror. BAHHH!
    We need heated mirrors up here and what surprises me the most is that the Nox is built in Canada and no one thought of at least putting "heated mirrors" even as an option.
    So weird.
  • moskymosky Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Equinox and so far I think the motor has been great. I have a little over 50,000 miles on it and no problems. I took it hunting and two people with me had mid size 4wd trucks. I went down a hill with rocks, snow, and holes and all of us thought the Equinox was going to have to be pulled. To all our surprise the AWD worked better then I dreamed of. Gas milage is around 22mpg. I really love this Equinox.
  • I have had a positive experience with my Equinox as well. I have a 2006 with about 30,000 miles on it. The engine has been trouble free. It gets about 19 in mixed driving and about 22-23 on the highway. I opinion is that the chinese 3.4 is an up to date version of the 3.4 with all of the earlier bugs (leaky gaskets) worked out. The Aisan tranny has also been great. The 5 speed really makes it quick. The 2010 version with the new v-6 should be a rocket!
  • My 08 has been trouble free with one exception, the piston slop when cold started. Yes it goes away when warmed up but the 3.4 has had this problem for 15 yrs. Come on GM, you think this may be one of the reasons you in so much trouble now?? I do agree the tranny works well and the 2010 looks very good inside and out.
  • gmanydaygmanyday Posts: 4
    I have an 08 nox sport fwd. Very satisfied with the car,however i've noticed when the temp reaches below -10 degrees f. the suspension /drivetrain gets noisy over bumps(if parked outside for several hours) sounds almost like ice caught up in the springs(not the case however).As well under acceleration sounds as if c.v joint grease is frozen. I have asked several nox owners if they have similar noises when cold and all reply in the negative, although they own base nox's, so perhaps the problem is only with the sport models lowered suspension, however sport model owners are hard to come by. Dealer claims only suspension noises they ever come across are the strut links(not the noise i'm hearing). Any other sport owners notice this problem or is it just me?? would appreciate feedback.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    I have 08 LT AWD with 7108 km and had similar noises at -10 C and lower with the rear suspension. It one does it if i go over a sharp large bump in the road if mine continues in the warmer weather GM will be hearing about it. It sounds like the suspension is coming contact with the rubber travel stops making a knocking sound.

The sport Equinox sits two inches lower than the other Equinox's should make any real difference. Thanks for letting me know about your NOX.
  • Am making a buying choice where, on the face of it, the Equinox looks to be an attractive alternative to a RAV or a CRV. I'm concentrating on vehicles 2-5 years old, Hondas and Toyotas have a reputation of reliability...is the book in on 100K+ Equinoxes?

many thankx
    --steve...