Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Honda CR-V Adaptive Cruise Control Failure

ajram2002ajram2002 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2015 in Honda
Sorry for the LONG post... don't miss the link to my video at the end.

I bought a 2015 CR-V Touring (FWD) on November 1, 2014. On or about November 5, 2014, I got on the highway and tried to set the adaptive cruise control. I got a long "beep," and the message "ACC OFF" appeared briefly in the gauge cluster. I thought that was strange, and tried to set the adaptive cruise again. No matter how many times I tried to set the adaptive cruise it would not set, and I got the same beep and message each time. I really didn't know what was going on and thought maybe something was dirty or blocked. I checked the Honda emblem when I got to school (the millimeter wave radar unit sits directly behind the emblem), and everything looked fine. On my way home from school that day, the adaptive cruise worked flawlessly. I chalked the whole experience up to some anomaly and didn't give it a lot of thought.

A couple of days later, the same thing happened again. Then, a couple days later, the failure struck another time. It was after this third "event" that I knew something was definitely wrong. Luckily, I was able to pull out my phone and take a video of exactly what was happening. Shortly thereafter, I had an appointment at the dealer to take care of something different and I had them write this problem up and take a look. The technician couldn't find any problems, and said that no DTCs had been stored in the CR-V's computer. We went for a test drive, but the problem didn't happen. I showed the tech my video and he was definitely interested in that.

The tech said that he would call Honda's techline the following Monday and see what they thought about the issue, and find out if they had seen it before. The service writer was supposed to call me back and let me know what Honda had to say. I didn't get any calls (even after leaving a message for the service writer mid-week). So, I made another appointment to take the CR-V back in. When I showed up, the service writer told me he had been out sick and his voicemail wasn't working properly. He refused to take the CR-V in for service that day, stating that the technician was busy and that Honda would be closed all of the following week for Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that this was the dealership's second repair "opportunity" which will become important later in this story.

I'm going to cut some parts out here (I may provide them later, when I have more time).

My CR-V spent five days at the dealership in December. It was returned to me on the fifth day with essentially nothing more than a "could not duplicate" and "Honda doesn't have any ideas."

I was getting intermittent failures during all of this time period. By this point, I had taken at least 8 failure videos.

My CR-V spent another five days at the dealership later in December. It was returned to me on the fifth day after having the millimeter wave radar taken from another Touring and installed in mine. The dealership said the unit in my car "popped out" when they went to remove it, and they were sure it was out of alignment, causing the issues.

But, you guessed it, the adaptive cruise failed again after I got it back. At this point, the dealership had four repair "opportunities" and made three repair "attempts." Texas Lemon Law allows a manufacturer three "opportunities" or "attempts" (depends if you rely on caselaw or not) before an owner can send a "manufacturer notification letter" allowing the manufacturer one more repair attempt before he starts any lemon-law proceedings. I faxed and mailed (certified, return receipt requested) my notification letter to Honda on December 27, 2014, giving them 30 days upon receipt of the letter to fix the problem.

Honda got my fax on December 27, 2014, and should have received the letter on December 30, 2014. Honda didn't sign for the letter until January 7th!!, and finally called me on January 8th. The fellow from Honda's mediation department asked me if I would meet with the regional Honda rep and give them one more opportunity to repair the problem. I agreed (the Texas lemon-law process has fairly strict requirements that must be met, including this final opportunity for repair).

I met with the Honda rep on January 14, 2015, at which point the dealership took my CR-V in for repair. I was able to capture the six minute video posted at the end of this message on the evening of January 13, 2015. The rep called the video "golden," and said it was exactly what engineering needed to see to fix the issue. As of today, my CR-V is still at the dealer. The latest word I received is that they still haven't been able to duplicate the problem (I have over 16 failure videos), but the rep is authorizing them to replace the camera assembly behind the windshield to see if that fixes the problem.

I called the fellow in Honda mediation on Friday and Monday, leaving messages both times that politely asked Honda to buy back my CR-V. As of today, he still has not called me back. As of today, my car has been at the dealer for 27 of the 89 days (30%) I have owned it. This is the 10th brand-new Honda or Acura vehicle I have purchased. I own a Honda tiller, trimmer, and lawn mower, and I've had one ATV (Honda) in my life. As you can tell, I have been a major supporter of the company. I simply cannot believe this is how they are choosing to handle this. The dealership told me that Honda has absolutely no idea what is wrong with my CR-V, yet the company is gambling on the camera replacement to fix the problem.

When (if) I get my CR-V back, if there is another adaptive cruise failure, all of the Texas lemon-law conditions will have then been met, and I will file the paperwork to have Honda buy my CR-V back.

If you made it to the end of this post, THANK YOU! I am so frustrated and upset by this whole thing. Please share any comments or thoughts. If you've had an adaptive cruise problem, please let me know.

Here's a link to the best video I have. I will post more when I have more time:

http://youtu.be/OywaA7cnv0I
Tagged:

Comments

• timkosstimkoss Member Posts: 1
    I have had the exact same issues!  Once in a blue moon, this happens on my TOURING 2015 CRV. Starts working again after restart. Bought mine at the end of October.  Interesting article, I started a few videos as well. Any word yet on your last repair?
  • ddwood1ddwood1 Member Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    Having the same issue with my 2015 CRV Touring. Purchased December 2014. Let me know if you find a solution. Thanks! B)
  • ddwood1ddwood1 Member Posts: 0
    Having the same issue with my 2015 CRV Touring..... Purchased December 2014.
    Let me know if you find a solution. Thanks! B)