Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned

167891012»

Comments

• sriramgsriramg Posts: 3
    I had checked Edmunds as well. The car is Clean and the price is $5645 ($100 less than KBB) with the options that I have in my car. If i choose average, the price is $4375. How did you get $3500 ? :confuse:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,893
    Like I said, I'm not sure of the options. You didn't list them.

You said the car has been in an accident. It also has a ton of miles. That, in my opinion (and in the opinion of many many shoppers), puts it in the "average" category. Depending on the carfax report, it may not even be as high as average, to be honest.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    Typically used a Prius with less than 20K miles sells for about $ 500 less than a new one here in NW WA.
    I am considering a loaded 2007 Prius w 9K miles for $18500. The hitch is that it has a salvaged title & was originally registered in my county (so at least it is not flood car!). Carfax says airbag deployed. The seller swears it did not & says take it to a mechanic. I imagine even Carfax could make an occasional error.

I would definitely take it to Toyota dealer a for a pre-purchase inspection. Will a dealer be able to tell definitively if the airbag are functional or is there someway a savvy rebuilder could cover up a missing airbag? Thanks
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    The Carfax information about airbag deployment is most likely taken from the police crash report.

Could it be wrong? Possibly

Could the police have got it wrong? Possibly

Could the seller be misrepresenting the vehilce? Possibly

Can a mechanic be able to tell if bags are functional? Probably

Can a missing bag be covered up? Probably

That's quite a few "ifs," especially on a vehicle that is worth one-third to one-half less than one without a salvage title.

Personally, I'd also be concerned about possible hidden damage to the battery pack and would pass on this puppy.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Walk away.
    1 You aren't saving NEAR enough money.
    That car does $20,-22k at the auction if its in 1 piece.
    So, unless you can get the car for half that,it's really not worth it.
    Second, salvage cars are rarely put back together correctly.
    Who knows what will go wrong, and oh by the way,you have NO WARRANTY.
    Just step up and pay real money like all the other lemmings, or save your cash and buy a Yaris.
  • My 2002 Buick Rendezvous has a salvage title. Plus it has an engine oil leak that Lucas Stop Leak has worked on. Have not had to add any oil since using Lucas.

KBB says worth about $4200 in "fair" condition. With the 2 factors listed above, what would a fair price be?. I have two people who want to buy it and I don't know what to ask for it.

Thanks!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    First of all, you cannot use KBB or ANY other yardstick for a salvage title car.

Private party, the Buick is probably a $1000 car,if that.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Posts: 854
    edited August 2010
    I had no idea an M6 was so unstable it could be blown off the road by a passing semi in the rain. Scary for sure.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    So , is this site reliable or trustworthy? Any one tried it ?? :shades: :P
  • montegrlmontegrl Posts: 3
    I have been considering buying a reconditioned 2009-2011 Ford Crown Victoria p71 from a body shop that specializes in them. They will repaint a car and upgrade the interior as per the customer's wishes. Said vehicle would be between 80-100k. I'm told they do a mechanical inspection and complete needed repairs. So far I have not been able to find reference or reviews online for their work. I would check the title but I have been told that damage on government service vehicles does not show up on carfax.

I am interested in the interceptor mostly because I want a large rear-wheel drive car with some performance that I will not have to break the bank for. It helps that these are relatively cheap and easy to fix with abundant parts available. Suggestions and advice please!
    I certainly wouldn't put alot of money into such a car. They are really worth very little as is. As long as you plan to run it into the ground and not resell it, then the history shouldn't matter (provided it is deemed safe and properly repaired, of course).

Have you ever driven one? You mention performance, which this car does NOT have, so just want to make sure you know what you are getting. Just to give you an idea, the american Top Gear actually did a humorous bit where the 3 hosts were all driving Crown Vics in police guise and were absolutely dusted in a matter of seconds by the Stig driving a Honda Odyssey. While probably sensationalized a bit for TV, its really not far from the truth. Having said that, it should be a very reliable car when properly sorted.

• montegrlmontegrl Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply. That was a really funny bit on Top Gear! Yeah, the Odyssey has similar HP as the police Crown Vic. Which is why they needed to replace them I think! We're really looking for cheap, reliable and easy for mechanically-inclined owners to fix. The interceptor is a bit better than civilian models (I have an old one).

Anyone have any stories or suggestions regarding companies who recondition them? What are they worth?
    edited May 2013
    Hopefully, this link works. That should show all the completed listings for 2009 and up on Ebay over recent months. Looks like about $4k-$5k for those with 90k-100k miles.

EDIT: I can't get the link to post. Oh well. If you search completed listings on Ebay, you can get an idea.

167891012»