Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing used vehicles involved in accidents/reconditioned

Comments

• inmassinmass Posts: 4
    I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited in good condition that I want to sell. 70k miles, 4 new tires, new battery, leather interior w/ all the standard Limited options, body is in fairly good condition with a few minor dings. It has a salvage title and is registered in Massachusetts. I want to know the best option for me to sell it. I don't need to get the most $$ possible, I would rather do it easily and conveniently and not sell to a private party. Would a dealer give me anything for it? should I donate it? HELP!! thanks!
  • jasmith52jasmith52 Posts: 455
    Just so you know, the tax laws regarding deductions of cars changed as of January 1, 2005. You now can only deduct what a donated car after being sold at auction brings to the charity.

Therefore after auction and storage fees and getting an auction price way back of trade-in price your donated car is not worth much to either you as a deduction or to your charity as a cash deal.

Post a real good description of this car over on the 'real world trade in values' thread where Terry will very accurately tell you what your car is worth.
  • There is a body shop in town with a 03 LE 15k
    miles. I know the body shop owner. Have bought from him before. Does good work. It is a big shop he has had this covered for 2 years just getting to it.

This was left side damage, took out left wheel & both doors. No engine damage. I saw the before pictures
    Man says there was no frame damage. This was a local car with dealer logo on. I tracked to the dealer, a young girl had the wreck which was bought new.

It is about finished, Shop man tells me take it to any front end shop anywhere for check. Take to Memphis he backs his work.

This has a totaled out title. This is for my daughter who is in college. This will be her last car from me and will last he forever..

He first said 15K later said will be cheaper.
    I'm thinking heavy on this one. Give me your thoughts.. 15 is to high for a total out title.
    Give me your thoughts on this one.
    Thanks
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    Find out what it's private party value would be if never damaged. Then subtract AT LEAST one-third for the salvage title (40-50% would be better) to determine what to pay for it.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Here's a good example of buyer beware when buying cars that are written off or have been in a big accident:

My good friend's brother in law recently picked up a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan with 2000km on the odo. The car has been used as a company car by Infiniti and was involved in an accident where the side airbags deployed, and the feneder and the door skins needed replacing. He picked it up for about $11000CDN.

He replaced the fender, airbags, and got a repaint done. The guy he sent the car to for the repaint was in the process of moving shops or was being kicked out of the shop. He rushed the job and did such a crappy repaint that there were dust bubbles and overspray on all of the mouldings. (That's another story as to why he even paid for the job).

So now $24000CDN ($11000 for car plus $13000 for the above)later the car is still not road ready:

The passenger doors don't close properly, and the car is now having other problems that are popping out. It's overheating, the dash lights don't light up, some mouldings are loose and the tail lights don't work at all.

Infiniti won't fix it under warranty because it was sold as salvage for a reason. They knew it wouldn't be worth fixing it because there could be too many hidden problems. Now to diagnose all of the above it would need to spend a good week at the dealership and labour is not cheap.

Good thing is he bought it for his wife and not to sell it and make money. After seeing the car I told my friend that his BIL should keep the car for 10 years to make it worthwhile, because he'd be lucky if he finds any buyer for it at all if he wants to resell it.

But it makes you wonder how much more money he will have to
    sink into it as he has no warranty on it at all. And on top of that how much stress he has to put up with.

Now he's stuck with a lemon :lemon:

Moral of the story is buyer beware.

On the flipside though i did own a rebuilt 93 Civic for 3 years that i had no problems with at all. It's just these new mid and high end cars ares o complicated with electronics that you never know what hidden problems are damage they may have. :sick:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• My 06' saturn ion was damaged in an accident and the dlrshp is repairing it. How do I figure the depreciation of the vehicle compared to the current value if it had not been wrecked. I had front end damage.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    How much was the damage? How much front end damage, ie: engine, suspension, or just cosmetic?

The way I determine value for my customers is getting my manager to give me to appraisal prices: one with no accidents, and the second with accidents.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• It was about $4200 worth including towing. damage include paint, suspension and/or axle, front tire, bumper, and replacing drvr door.
  • gmccardlegmccardle Posts: 35
    Please let me know what you make of this situation. My 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan with the sports suspension and all the goodies was hit hard in the passenger side rear door and wheel by a driver who pulled out in front of me while she was making a left hand turn. She hit so hard she spun the car around in a circle and set off the passenger side airbag.
    The body shop has had it for about 5 weeks now because they say they are looking for parts. They estimate at least another couple weeks until they have it to paint and get it to the Infiniti dealer for the mechanical stuff. I can't believe it wasn't totaled. The frame was bent and at this point they say I have $13,900 in damage. What does it take to total a car. I live in Florida and my insurance Co. is USAA.

I know when I get it back again it won't be worth nearly what the pre collision value was. The ins co tells me they estimated that at about $20,500. How do I figure out the post crash value? I was planning on trading in the car before the accident and now I think I'm just going to lose a ton of money. Any ideas from anyone on how to make the best of this situation? To make matters worse, the other driver was underinsured and only covered $10,000 in property damage coverage.

Thanks!
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    you might want to ask you question over in Questions about Auto Insurance and Accidents. It seems more active.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef09308/2694
  • Hi everyone.

Well as i was doing a bit of shopping around. I ran across a small dealer who is offering a used honda si 2006 for $14k. Yeah sounds weird right? Well the catch is that the car is a salvage. Yup. But the car look like new. No noticeable damage the paint and everything matches together. According to the guy it was rebuilt only from the front. That no real damage was done to the outside.

It looked great to my eye. I checked the rims and tires and they are the originals because they show some tare and ware. But not enough to notice a big accident. The bottom of the car is intact, but there is some residue of what looks like cement. The guy said it was the spill from the battery because it leek. That made me kind of nervous. Inside the hood everything seemed normal. No major discrepancies. He said he changed a couple of things on the car but nothing major. He said that the car was only damage from the front.

Well the car seemed nice and fit to me. The price is good and it can probably be lowered. I plan to keep the car for a long time. Is it worth is? How can i check if the car was severely damge? I tried carfax but it does not go into any specifics.
    (http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a=p7qiXw1fXsXVl1UReDEsYLHd+v88CJr9kc- Cv7NNWuAtIcX5x2qyApnxkrGrCZjrf)
    i hope the link works.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    He said he changed a couple of things on the car but nothing major.

If there was nothing major then the car would not have been a total loss and be on a rebuilt title. This car has had the crap knocked out of it and sounds like a good body man pieced it back together. I would be scared, very scared.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    Personally, it sounds like a flood car ...

Avoid like the plague unless you like a problematic car at a pretty steep price.
    If it was a Flood car wouldn't the title be branded "flood" and not "rebuilt".

May be different from state to state, I don't know.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Ehh it depends on the state I think.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,881
    For a very good reason.

You are asking for trouble and you will have a car that will be next to impossible to sell down the road.

You get what you pay for.
  • lianlian Posts: 2
    Hi,
    does anyone knows anyone who can offer to run a report for free because they have bought multiple reports and don't need them all? I need one on a car with VIN 2g4ws52j2y1172534. Thanks a lot.
    Dang dude., just cough up the $10 and pull a report.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Actually, it's $25.99 but for $5.00 more you can get unlimited reports. I agree that anyone looking for those reports should pay their own way rather than asking others to violate the terms of their agreement with CARFAX.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    For general information about the vehicle you may want to look at Buick Century.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'm presently considering an '01 Nissan Pathfinder being privately offered at $8800. Carfax reports that it sustained "moderate" damage when hit in the rear a year ago. The owner says the crash only impacted the bumper (which was replaced). Cosmetically, the vehicle looks fine without evident visible evidence of the repair.

How much, if any, does the Carfax report itself diminish the value of the vehicle?
  • greanpea68greanpea68 Posts: 1,996
    How much, if any, does the Carfax report itself diminish the value of the vehicle?

If the vehicle had frame damage ands was reproted it will say it on car fax... But there always the ones that slip through... Moderate damage can be just a bumper though. If you are that worried bring it to a mechanic or a nissan dealer. I know my store would charge $90 to inspect the vehicle for you. Most independent shops charge about the same.

I would rather have a dealer look at it though because would notice frame damage right away. That is all you have to really be worried about.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    there is no hard and fast rule.
    Partly it depends on the car, the damage and what the report actually says.
    My concern is solely about the effect on the value of the vehicle given the Carfax notation of "moderate" damage.

This appears to be a nice clean Pathfinder SE 4WD with 98K on it - I'm not worried about unrepaired (or improperly repaired) damage.
    Max, I see that in another thread that you just docked an '04 Camry at least a grand on trade due to a replaced fender. Same thing here? Or does the fact that it was kissed in the rear make it worse given that the uncertainties are somewhat greater?
    The Camry was newer and had less mileage.
    Plus, w/ the new fender,and missing body sticker, its easier to see that it had been hit.
    So you see it as taking less of a hit. That's one vote for zero deduction and one vote for less than a grand in diminished value.

It looks to be worth $8000 to $8200 private party if it had a clean Carfax. With a blemished record like this, $7200 seems dicey to me.
    Yes, the older the car, the less the hit in value.
  • Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me...

I purchased a used Nissan Altima 2.5S model about 10 months ago. I'm now looking to trade, due to the fact that I'm just not happy with it. Well, I go to a Honda dealer to look at a 2007 Accord EX-L w/ Black Leather interior, nice. I'm considering to purchase the car, so the manager looks at what I'm trading. He notices that my car has had a PAINT JOB. What!!! No chance in me getting the kind of deal I was expecting. This news shocks the crap out of me. The cars value plummets. What can I do in my case? Can I take my Altima back to the original dealer and get some sort of refund? My suspicion is no, but surely there is something that I can do. Car fax shows a clean history. I live in TN, but the lemon law doesn't apply since the car wasn't purchased new. The paint job is nice, but if you look at the edges of the door, hoods, etc., it's so obvious. I hope that someone can give me some advice in my situation.
    Lemon Law only applies to manufacturers defects.
    NOT accident repair.

Personally, i'd go back to the dealer you bought the Nissan from and trade it in to them.
    Obviously, they knew the cars condition when they sold it to you, so they shouldn't have any qualms about taking it back in trade.