Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forester Turbo in 1 year

Comments

• Are their any Subaru owners clubs in Southern California?

Does any group do caravan trips?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I love my '03 Forester XS, it has 1400 miles on it now. Last tank of gas I got 31 mpg. It has plenty of power, the 165 hp gets it done well without getting into trouble.

I am in Fresno, and subies are not nearly as popular here as So Cal or Bay area. I do some "off roading" in agricultural areas, the XS is light and powerful. I could wish for a lower first gear for really bumpy terrain.

John
  • John:
     Is your forester a 5speed or automatic.
    Do you know the published 0-60 time of the 165 hp forester 5 speed?
    How is the Forester for comfort on a long trip?
    How tall are you?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    my '03 is the 5 speed, it is very comfortable for a 6'3" guy like me. Love the lumbar lever, that is a necessity for a tall guy with a bad back. Leg room is outstanding, beats our old Trooper and the new Mazda MPV. It is hard to find 42" leg room anymore. I was looking (very briefly) at the Honda Element and CRV, both of those are shy on leg room and didn't offer the value of the Forester XS.

John
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The regular 2.5l has produced 0-60 times anywhere from 8.8 to 9.5 seconds with a manual, and 9.1 to 10.5 seconds with an automatic.

On the road, torque is good with my 5 speed. I've towed about 1500 pounds and had no trouble climing a steep hill near my house. It even managed to accelerate while pulling that load.

Note that even though it's a 4 banger, it'll outrun a lot of competing V6 models, like the Santa Fe, the Grand Vitara, and the XTerra. It is a 2.5l, which is about the size of many small V6s.

Now, you want more than adequate power to blow the competition away? Get in line for the XT model. 0-100kph has been estimated at 6.1 seconds, that puts it in the high 5 second range for 0-60mph.

That makes the regular 2.5l seem slow, but only comparatively.

It's fine on trips, I have plenty of room for my 6" 215lb body. We have 2 little kids so the back seat works fine for us.

-juice
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    $25,445 may be the base MSRP for the Forester 2.5XT automatic (premium) - if I interpret http://www.media.subaru.com/ correctly.

- D.
  • I saw in another STi thread that some WRX STi's have arrived in Canada. Since our friends in the great north seem to be blessed with those vehicles before the U.S., does that mean that Subaru Canada will be getting the XT Turbos soon?

If so, I want pictures and commentaries, and I want them NOW!!!

Heh, heh...
    -Bob
  • Looks like Subaru Canada is showing what color options will be available on the 2004 XT's.

http://www.subaruforester.ca/english/index.htm

-Bob
    Good find, hadn't seen the colors on that site before. Unfortunately, for the XT interior it's the same story they announced in February on the Subaru media site (see .pdf file under Forester in http://www.media.subaru.com/ ). That is, off-black, only, which will be too dark for most people farther South.

BTW, I asked SoA when they will have more specs, they answered in June, when the Forester will be available in the showrooms!

- D.
  • jason_elsjason_els Posts: 57
    Dreadful choice of colors and no choice of the tan interior. I think the gray interior looks cheap and don't like driving in a tomb or the resultant heat build-up in summer. Black, silver, gold, white, and red are all unattractive to my mind. Give me the blue or green. I've WAITED for this car since the middle of last year when it was just a rumor and the poor choice (meaning NO choice) of interior decor in a car this expensive is insulting particularly when lighter interiors are essential in warm weather areas.

I am now seriously looking at alternatives. I have to get a new car soon.
  • You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, after sitting in the XT with the black/gray interior, I like it and the silver exterior. I actually don't like tan interiors - I view them the same way you view gray interiors. Go figure.
    -Bob
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I found that woodgrain keyless remote to be hideous.

Len
    I like both actually, if they are well done, usually two-tone is better than mono. However, there needs to be a choice of a light interior for those of us who encounter intense sun and 100+ weather for more than a couple of weeks in July.

BTW how can they not offer the traditional Subaru blue exterior?

- D.
    I have a beige interior and much prefer the gray one in my wife's Legacy. Of course neither has dark seats. But the two-tone look very nice in person.

Keep something in mind - Canada is Canada. They even get different models than we do. The colors might be the same, but that's certainly not a guarantee. Canadian WRXs have heated seats, for instance; they got the cloth H6 6 months before we did, etc.

-juice
    Went to Feder's Subaru in Middletown, NY today and looked at the Forester Premium without leather. The gray wasn't so horrible but it's still not as nice as the two-tone beige/black. I liked what I saw though the armrest extension is cheap hard plastic with no padding. It felt flimsy. I also don't care for the standard roof rack. Soon as I'd get mine I'd take it off. I don't use them and they make noise and block the view. The sunroof is HUGE! and I really liked that.

Was reading the news release for the XT though and it mentions a "Direct Control" automatic tranny. Was wondering, you think this might be like the SportShift feature on the Legacy or might it just be a plain old auto?

And btw for anyone in the area, the sales guy (Yuri) didn't know when they'd be in.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    Was reading the news release for the XT though and it mentions a "Direct Control" automatic tranny. Was wondering, you think this might be like the SportShift feature on the Legacy or might it just be a plain old auto?

The '04 Baja turbo also has a Direct Control tranny—and Sport-Shift; not so with the Forester turbo.

Bob
    I have a '98 with the armrest extension, and it's held up nicely. I can't even complain about the lack of padding. My armrest, though, is hard, and I notice that, but the 2003 models addressed that. I'd be more than happy with the 2003's armrests, both sides.

Dunno about you, but I use my cross bars all the time. They hold a roof top carrier in place, I tie down 6'x8' fencing, 4'x8' plywood sheets, lots of other types of lumber, etc.

In fact mine are pretty worn! I gotta try to polish out a few surface scratches.

One more thing - you can slide them back so they don't block the view, and then slide them into place when you need them.

-juice
    I'm wondering here....

If they have this same engine in the STI pushing out 300hp, but will only be 210 in the XT, then exactly how are they hobbling it? Just the ECU? Any ideas?
    I think intercooler, intake, exhaust, ECU, VVT, and turbo specs are all good candidates. Look at the 150hp to 225hp spread in the VW/Audi 1.8l turbo engine. Some have more restrictive air flow (Passat) and cannot be upgraded as easily (Jetta, TT). Some have beefier turbos (225hp TT). Given that price is a major concern, I would closely look at the difference more expensive items make (beefier turbo for the TT, for example).

- D.
    VVT - actually both engines have AVCS, and both act only on one set of valves (intake IIRC).

So it must be intake, exhaust, and turbo boost levels. In other words, it shouldn't be hard to chip and modify an XT to make close to 300hp. Plan on a new clutch if you have a 5 speed, though. The Auto can handle 300hp reliably in the WRX.

-juice
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    I'd be willing to bet the XT has a much smaller turbo. Not to mention the fact that the STI has special internals like a forged crankshaft which I sincerely doubt they'd put the in a Forester. I'd bet there's a different head and cam arrangement as well.
    What I meant was that - at least in principle - the VVT (AVCS) could be tuned more for low-end torque and fuel consumption in the Forester, vs. high-end hp in the STI. They have different redlines, don't they?

- D
    XT show car had a 6500rpm redline.

-juice
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    One other contributing factor to the difference in HP is the lack of a pre-cat in the STi.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3796- 401

The XT has a pre-cat much like the WRX.

Ken
    And we know that's the XT's redline, because the N/A engine redlines at 6250rpm.

-juice
    So the XT makes its peak hp about 1000rpm lower than the STi, and the redline is 500rpm lower? Not sure if that is enough of a difference for them to bother changing the VVT. On the other hand, I bet the engines have a very different feel in the 5,500 to 7000rpm range. Not just the obvious (power), but my guess is the STi will go to higher rpms much more willingly.

BTW, the STi of course also has the 6-speed manual transmission - that is nice to have, too.

- D.
  • ballisticballistic Posts: 1,687
    Newbie here. I first heard about the XT a month ago and have been reading everything on the 'net to get up to speed. I think I'll order one, but I wonder why North America (undoubtedly Subaru's most important market) does not get features that ARE available on Foresters elsewhere:
    2-speed transfer case - much better for hauling boats out of the water, etc.
    Self-leveling rear suspension, useful on small, lightweight cars when loaded with cargo.
    Nifty dual front folding armrests built into the inner seatback bolsters.
    Headlight spray-washers in the bumper.
    ...and so forth. I hate it when car companies treat us like second-class citizens compared to other markets.
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    Subaru seems to be getting better. The 2.5L turbo is unique to the US market in Sti form, I believe the 2.5L turbo in the Baja and Forester are as well. Hats off to low-end torque!

The dual-range is interesting. Perhaps Subaru is a afraid people will seriously take them off-road because they have a low-range? Certainly would work well with Outback/Forester/Baja image. Heck, make it optional and charge a fair amount for it.

-B
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Those questions regarding features that never make it to the US have been asked for a long time. Most of the reasons come down to cost. The US has one of the most price competitive auto markets in the world and Subaru isn't alone in "stripping down" USDM models.

The low range was partly due to the fact that the non-USDM Foresters used to get 2.0 N/A engines.

Ken
This discussion has been closed.