Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

revkarevka Posts: 1,750
to discuss the Chevy Malibu Maxx. To start, here's some news from Edmunds' News Headlines. If you come across any more news on this upcoming wagon, please post it here. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Comments

• mitzijmitzij Posts: 611
    When a car is sold, the dealer has to report it to GM, entering VIN, date, mileage, that sort of thing. It goes to a database that is accessible by other GM dealers via a website. It looks like your dealer entered '100' as mileage when sold. If I were you, I'd look to get this corrected. I'm not sure how, though. If your deal paperwork shows mileage, that'll help. I'd try aggravating the dealer first.

p.s. if you got a nice discount due to the 'high' miles when you bought the car, you might not want to stir the pot! ;)
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Gee, I don't know if you needed to post it 3x :P

Top speed is dependant upon tires usually especially in the case of the Malibu Maxx SS.

So if you know what type of tires are on your vehicle we might be able to answer question. There are 2 different types of tires available. Both tire sizes are P225/50R-18 so you need to look at the brand and style. The standard tire is Goodyear Eagle LS-2 M+S all season with top speed limited to 115 or 118 MPH. I think the other tire is Bridgestone Potenza which is a high performance tire for summer only. I know that Malibu Maxx SS with that tire has a higher top speed limit but I don't know what it is - someone else might though.

I drove an Malibu SS with the Potenza tires for a week a few months ago when we had a little ice/snow and I can confirm that it is a tire better suited for summer :D

By the way Feb 2006 C/D mag has review on Malibu Maxx SS.
  • there is a 05 base model maxx on a used car lot here in Detroit area. They are asking just over 12k, and you know you could get them to go lower. There are no options on this vehicle to speak of.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    No, it won't run on E85. It's getting the LZ4, the non flex-fuel version.
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    The Malibu Maxx shares its architecture with the Vectra-based, Opel Signum in Europe. I imagine the final product will have the Chevy chrome strip grill but will retain much of the styling and proportions of this car. It should be nice, and is certainly innovative.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2002/020821opel-signum/index.html

In addition to the Maxx, the British magazine CAR has a small article on the Vectra wagon, which uses the stretched Signum/Maxx wheelbase, and provides a traditional wagon overhang. It will rival Volvo's for spaciousness.

Any interest in a large Malibu wagon?

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Look pretty sharp, imo. Also, the rear seating system sounds interesting. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Edmunds' now has information on the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Midsize Wagon in their Future Vehicles Section. Hope you enjoy! Let us know what you think....

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    While I do like some details, it lacks a 3rd side window and a D-pillar, so it's more LWB hatchback than wagon.

Imagine a stretch limo version of the old Honda Civic.

Also, there appears to be zero cargo space. The rear headrest almost touches the back window.

The Opel front looks like Mercury's Mountaineer. Styling overall is OK, but the huge blind spot and lack of cargo space would nix it from my list right off the bat.

-juice
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    The Maxx/Signum is made with a certain buyer in mind. And I think I am one of them.

I am married, no kids. My wife and I like to go out with friends. I frequently drive with clients on business. I live in Chicago where parking space is a precious commodity. When I travel long distance, I fly. On the weekends I like to put my bike in the car and drive to one of the many outlying bike paths. My bike cost almost two grand, so I like to keep it in the car, not on a rack exposed to flying debris.

The Maxx provides exceptional space for four adults without having too large a parking footprint. As Odman's link points out, the rear seats will fold flat, meaning plenty of room for me to lay my bicycle in the back (or haul a good sized piece of furniture, etc.).

With the large rear window and side mirrors, I fail to see a problem with visibility. I already own a car with the ecotec engine, and would not hesitate to buy a Maxx with one.

Far from being a stretch Civic, I see the Maxx as a good mix of SUV and sedan. Plenty of SUV like passenger comfort and storage flexibility. Sedan like size and economy.

I understand GM hopes to sell about 70k Maxxs per anum. I think there are 70k people like me out there.
    The visibility issue I mentioned was with the very thick C-pillar. It would leave a blind spot.

Guess I'd have to get in one to be sure.

-juice
  • wgrwgr Posts: 127
    Has anyone seen or heard of the price range for the Maxx ?
    At one point Lutz said those cars might hit the $30k price range, though he specifically mentioned the Grand Am.

I think he's smoking some good stuff! ;-)

-juice
  • cb70cb70 Posts: 226
    Where's my Mazda 6 Wagon or turbo Forester already?!!
  • My impression is - the $30K price range is for the Saab versions of the Epsilon, not the Malibu. I think I read somewhere that the Malibu will undercut similar Camry/Accords in price, so more like $18-24K.
    I'm sure that is more realistic. But Bob did mention the Grand Am could eventually compete in that price range. It was from an Automotive News article.

-juice
  • nematodenematode Posts: 448
    First, you heard it here first: The Maxx will be a total failure along the lines of the Aztek IF it looks like the picture above and comes in at more than $18k FULLY loaded with every option. Second, I'm a wagon lover and thats not a wagon. Its like the ugly older brother of the Mazda Protege based P5. The front facia of a mid 90s Maxima glued to a Civic. I dont like it. I dont like it. I dont like it. I dont like it. I dont like it. I dont like it. I dont like it.

Looks aside, as they are totally subjective, it better come in at closer to the $15-18k range if it wants to have a prayer of getting a foothold. Why on earth would you select that over the Subaru Legacy L wagon on the low end which you can have for $19k or even better the GT wagon for $24k nicely loaded?????? OR if you like that look you could just get the Mazda P5, Matrix/Vibe, or other little wagon clone.

I would not produce that car. There is no reason to select it over a variety of BETTER options. Just different is not better. Only better is better. The Maxx is not better.
    You seem to be confused about several issues.

First, this is not the Malibu wagon. GM is discussing a possible wagon. This is a mid-size hatch designed for maximum -- thus the name -- interior space.

Second, note I said mid-size. The other cars you describe are compact. This is a car that will compare in size, weight, and features not to the cars you list, but to the CamCords, Mazda6, Passat and Taurus. All these cars are priced well above the range you feel the Maxx should come in.

The idea behind the Maxx is to provide a comfortable environment for car buyers who want a car designed not for young families or carrying a lot of cargo, but for carrying several adults comfortably. In other words, a car alternative to a Grand Cherokee.

Of the alternatives you list, maybe the Matrix/Vibe can fit four adults comfortably, but that whiney little engine and the compact car suspension sure would make all but the shortest trips a chore for people in the back.
    Good points. Also, regarding the Maxx classification: seems we've had similar confusion with a number of other wagons/hatches (i.e. Protege5, PT Cruiser, Matrix/Vibe) that have hit the market. I also recall reading another article which mentioned that Chevy was referring to it as an "extended sedan," because of the stigma behind owning a hatch or a wagon. ;-)

Of course the ultimate test will be to see how the NHTSA classifies it. We could eventually link this discussion up to the Hatchbacks board if it becomes a real issue. Talk later.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Thanks.

Perhaps I am reading too much into the design concept, but I think what GM actually is attempting to mimic some popular SUV features in a sedan-like vehicle.

The point has been made many times here that most people who buy SUVs do not drive them off road and do not carry loads of plywood around. What they really want is a vehicle that allows them to sit higher off the ground with plenty of leg room.

By pushing the wheels out further than in the sedan and moving the rear seat back, the Maxx will really be comfortable for every one.

It is hard to categorize. It is bigger, and should be nicer than the typical hatch, does not offer the same cargo eating features as a wagon, and is more sedan-like inside than most of the current cross overs.

Manufacturing flexibility is finally reaching the point where we observers cannot keep up with category naming.