Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    I am going to see if I can give you a better answer on this pao - stay tuned :)
  • showed up last night on the 5_118 freeway I go home on. Driving much faster, diving into the Mission off-ramp. Was an '05 (wiper gave it away). Makes three I have seen this year (for the whole of '04 I saw _one_other than mine).

I really wonder why Americans hate hatchbacks/"extended sedans" so much...
  • hgr3inokhgr3inok Posts: 28
    e2helper - Thanks for the info! I found this at www.gmtechlink.com:
    =======================
    In the 2004 Malibu, the outside temperature readout is included in the radio display. When the car is being driven, this indicates the outside temperature, as determined by the outside temperature sensor.

Immediately after startup, the reading depends on several factors, including the amount of time the vehicle was turned off, the vehicle speed, and the value of the outside air temperature sensor.

Started with Key After Being Parked for 3 Hours
    The BCM initializes the outside air temperature display to the value of the actual outside air temperature reading.

Started with Key After Being Parked for Less Than 3 Hours, or Anytime When Started with Remote Starter
    The BCM initializes the outside air temperature display with the last stored value when the vehicle was shut off. If the outside air temperature is greater than the stored value, the display will not update as long as the vehicle remains below 10 mph (16 kph). When the speed is between 10 and 33 mph (16 and 53 kph), the readout updates after approximately five minutes. And when the speed exceeds 33 mph (53 kph), the update occurs after approximately three minutes.

If the current outside air temperature value is less than the stored value, the lower value will be displayed immediately.

If the temperature sensor performs according to these parameters, everything is OK. Do not attempt to repair or replace anything.
    =======================

I continue to be impressed with the Maxx.

Regards,

-HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma
  • avantiavanti Posts: 27
    I was wondering the same. e2helper (or anyone else), can you tell us anything yet about the 2006 Malibus? I have seen nothing anywhere except about the SS. Estimated 2006 production startup dates are not hard to find (August something) but don't help my decision-making process much...
  • madmadammadmadam Posts: 55
    I don't understand it either. I love having a hatchback--this is the third one I've owned (My first new car was a 1982 cavalier hatchback). The MAXX is so roomy--my teenagers and friends are comfy, and I can load so much stuff in the back. And I love the three-level reversable cover--it offers alot of flexibility.
    I spotted another gold (Light Driftwood) MAXX like mine in our area. There's a silver one nearby also (I chatted with the owner one day--she's also very satisfied with the car), but those are the only ones I've seen in our neighborhood in Central Queens, NY.
  • madmadammadmadam Posts: 55
    Ha! I think you are right about that. It certainly would not have been my choice--but she's happy with it. I see so many of them--there must be 6 Camrys (Camries?) parked on my street! They're everywhere. Not so our MAXX.
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Posts: 134
    I must agree with the Maxx beings much better looking then the sedan, and of course much more versatile. And I think all the sedan owners should thank Dodge, if it wasn't for the new Dakota the Malibu sedan might be considered the ugliest vehicle on the road. :P :P
  • meandmymaxxmeandmymaxx Posts: 134
    Hi all, I have a 05 Maxx LT. I have had it about 3 months and have put on aprox 7500Km (470 miles) I have noticed a periodic rough idle or shutter, has anyone else had this with an 05? I know the 04 had a problem with this. Was wondering if it was carrying over to some 05. Other then that, and a few rattles shes running great. Got the sunroof wind deflector installed under the TSB, and now it's a pleasure to drive with the roof open. Gas mileage (based on the car's computer) seems to get better the faster I go and with the A/C on. Not sure why, but not complaining. :) :)
    OK 2004/5 Malibu OnStar uses analog cell phone system. The 2006 is supposed to transition to digital version. The 2006 Malibu model isn't in production yet which is why I hedge slightly. There isn't such thing as dual mode "bridging box".

As you mentioned if you upgrade to digital system the dealer will likely just replace the Onstar module in your vehicle - other stuff, wiring, antennas, microphone, coax cables are same

Speaking of antennas...the 2006 Malibu has a new combined antenna which combines OnStar GPS/Cell Phone AND XM all in one antenna - it still has several cables running to it but only 1 antenna is visible on roof instead of 2 on a vehicle with both OnStar and XM options.
    Chevrolet does have a little bit about 2006 Malibu SS model on their official web site but it still shows under upcoming models section since it is still a ways away from hitting dealer showroom.

Biggest change for 2006 is new SS model and front end facelift for all models. There are some appearance tweaks on radio, a new steering wheel, OnStar changes to digital cell phone technology (as mentioned elsewhere). I also think all vehicles will be built "remote start ready" so just in case the vehicle you see on dealer lot doesn't have the option, the dealer can now easily upgrade it to have remote start system. I also think there might be an available compass in rear view mirror.

I have already probably said too much but hope that helped :)
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    I probably will just stick with the analog....by Jan 2008 when ONSTAR is scheduled to go fully digital, Im sure I will be in the market for another car...thanks for the update...and like the idea of the combined antenna....
  • The press is the reason for poor Maxx sales,they tout only Asian and European vehicles as what to drive,when in fact American products are just as good on all counts.I just dumped a Mercedes 2003 it was junk!Just bought a Ford Freestyle made in Ill. and it's GREAT!I would have bought the Maxx if it was $2000 more money with that money going into refining the vehicle.(Most auto mag's are owned by foriegners,check it out)
    lizzzard
  • I'm not going to pay money to have Onstar track me and sell that info.My Freestyle came with a keypad to unlock if my keys get locked in at no charge.My cell phone does the rest.
    lizzzard
    track and sell what information?.....
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    I don't know yet if I'll keep the OnStar service come 2008 or not. Seems like an awefully high cost to pay to provide THEM with another yearly customer. Maybe OnStar should be subsidizing the cost of the changeover to keep us as customers. ;)

One thing I'm relatively sure of is that we'll still have our Malibu LT sedan though, barring an accident, severe issues, etc. I don't like trading vehicles too often. (BTW, if it weren't for the sedans back end, there'd be NO good profiles on ANY current Malibu of any kind. ;))
  • appreciate info... Thought there was a compass in the day/night autodimming mirror already (I havd good old manual mirror - autodimmer is too sluggish).

Would be really neat some day if Chevy uncorks AWD to go with the new engine for the SS.
    Kurt..I love my autodimmer in the LT rearview mirror....it is instanteous from what I can tell.....this being the first vehicle that I have had such a feature in...I dont think I would do without it now.......and no compass in this mirror..I do believe GM does have one that does...but not the one that comes in the LT 1SB package...
    The compass feature is being added to the autodimming mirror for 2006
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I had Onstar on one vehicle a few years ago 2003 Buick Rendezvous. Was in a garage downtown Montreal. Guess what?? When you have a dead battery you have no Onstar. That means you call them on your cell phone or find a pay phone somewhere. So, unless you travel frequently in areas that have no cell phone coverage, not much purpose in paying for the Onstar extras. Take the free year they give you but after than not needed!
  • Hi madmadam and Kurt:

I just got my 05 Maxx today. Wonderful car, smooth ride. Merging on freeway is so much easier now.
    Dealer gave 1500 off MSRP, plus GM's rebate, and 2000 GM card savings.
    Couldn't save that much if I had purchase a Camry or Accord, and those car would have less features. LE and LX with 4 cylinder engine.
    Can't say enough good things about it.

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback. It drives straight and steering wheel is center. With the light rain today in NYC, traffic was bad. Couldn't drive very far.

I will post some updates later. It is going to be a fun day tomorrow. I think I will have lunch at Philly tomorrow.