Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    About the TSB- I have the sedan (2004 LT) with XM, but as you know the front half of the sedan and the Maxx are pretty much identical. The answer is yes about there being enough space between the sunroof and the XM antenna. Ours fits nicely, even leaving an inch or three between the forward edge of the deflector and the rearmost part of the antenna.

I agree with your husband about the power assist on these cars at lower speeds. But I think it could use a bit more assist at higher speeds. Here in the NC mountains there are quite a few twisty roads and the 'bu feels a bit strange. It handles fine, but the steering feels a bit heavy. Probably a result of GM trying to please all the magazine reviewers that think every car has to feel like there's NO assist (otherwise referred to as road-feel, feedback, etc.). I personally have found that a bit more assist actually helps a lot in the tighter turns (keeps it smoother, imo).

Anyway, I've had a few more problems with my sedan than you've had with your Maxx, but thanks to a good local dealership service department most of my issues have been dealt with promptly. And I agree 100%- I LOVE these cars. (Wish I could get the styling from the '06es though. :P )
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    great review....same here...except..almost 37K on my car...bought in Mar 04 with a 2/17/04 build date..built on a Tues!....no problems at all with mine...small rattle in the dome light...but I normally dont hear it with XM playing...lots of highway time on my Maxx...VA to SC and about to make three of those trips this month (sept) !!!....and commuting long distance for the last two months...averaging almost 1K a week on the car....that ends in another three weeks..yea!!!!...switched to synthetic motor oil...I love this car....the comfort, the ease of driving, the versatility etc......good job GM......I know there are some lemons out there as well....but overall...I think this is a nice solid car....

cheers!
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    great review....same here...except..almost 37K on my car...bought in Mar 04 with a 2/17/04 build date..built on a Tues!....no problems at all with mine...small rattle in the dome light...but I normally dont hear it with XM playing...lots of highway time on my Maxx...VA to SC and about to make three of those trips this month (sept) !!!....and commuting long distance for the last two months...averaging almost 1K a week on the car....that ends in another three weeks..yea!!!!...switched to synthetic motor oil...I love this car....the comfort, the ease of driving, the versatility etc......good job GM......I know there are some lemons out there as well....but overall...I think this is a nice solid car....

go back to msg 3777 and I have a link posted..you can see the shield installed with the XM and Onstar Antenna....

cheers!
  • snowcatsnowcat Posts: 13
    the only thing I *really* wish I had that I do not now is a 5 speed transmission. I out horsepower my husband's car, but he just blows my doors off with the extra gear (and the manumatic shift, but that's coming in the SS/CrosssCountry)

SnowCat
    Drive like a screaming maniac with my hair on fire.
    '04 Malibu Maxx 'Crow'
    '69 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe 'Goldfinger'
    Hubby- ’00 BMW 528i – ‘Sasha’
  • cwesleygcwesleyg Posts: 64
    I had to lay off my palace guard as well. My royal hands are way to delicate for such menial labor. LOL...

I have run my Maxx through a brushless (not touchless) car wash 6-7 times and the antenna has been fine. Do check it periodically to make sure it does not come lose though. My Siverado had the same antenna and never broke or bent. It did work lose once. I wouldn't sweat it much though.

If you have a touchless automatic car wash, you might give it a try. We have one west of us that works amazingly well. Although I remember putting my 1972 GS Skylark through one of the original ones back in 1985. It was the carwash's grand opening and they were giving free carwashes all day. My brother and I pulled in and went through. We laughed so hard after going through because it didn't seem to remove anything in the way of dirt or bird droppings... We rolled down the window and rolled away thinking it was so hilarious... we were probably not in our right minds at that moment come to think of it... maybe it was not that funny... it was 1985 after all... no open container laws...
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    My silver 04 Maxx LS just turned one year old yesterday. And I love it more now than when I drove it home for the first time.

It now has just over 13,000 miles on the odometer, which includes 4 round trips of about 1,000 mi. between western NY state and Danbury, CT plus an 800 mile trip to Columbus, OH.

MPG average has been just over 26! Stop-and-go driving in the winter (with much use of the remote start) drags it down to around 22 MPG, and the Ohio trip, with AC on at a steady 65 mph yielded 34 MPG.

The only repair issues:

1) Loose emission hose causing Check Engine light to remain lit
    2) Fuel gauge reading only 3/4 full even when topped; fuel tank replacement solved problem
    3) Defective electrical connection to right front turn signal lamp

Also, the cruise control still disengages erratically but I've sort of learned to live with it. The dealer (who seems to have a really well-run, competent service department) can't duplicate the problem.

Overall, my Maxx is a pleasure to drive. Quiet, powerful, comfortable, spacious.
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    Hi
    I have the XM, and cellphone option with the wind-ventshade installed thru warranty on the top and it fits fine and does make it less noisy you will see, just loose anout 3 to 4" of bright sky when its nice out because of the tinted shade they put on ... and it looks removable:
    D~ with an 05 maxx LT
  • drejdrej Posts: 119
    Was on a business trip and someone stole my Key & KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY FOB . Is this- one with a chip in the key? Has anyone replaced or duplicated thiers yet? cost? THANKS in Advance. D~
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Sorry to hear that. Yes that is a smart key with a transponder in it. I purchased a replacement key from a local locksmith for a similar vehicle and it cost about $40. Not sure about key fob but in order to get a new key fob to work you will need to take vehicle to dealer anyways - with a new key you can program it yourself assuming you stll have a key that will start the vehicle.
  • makkmakk Posts: 2
    Hello,

I picked up my new 2005 Maxx LS on Aug 22, 2005. It runs great but I do have two issues/concerns.

1. When viewing the car from behind the rear right side seems lower than the real left.
    2. Roof rattles when driving on a rough or bumpy road.

Has anyone else noticed the same?

Thx u,
    Makk
  • are apparently fairly common on Maxx's.

The domelight is held to the center roof strut by a magnet that is loosely mounted within the domelight. The magnet lets the light rattle around it.

If you or friendly service tech removes the light, you / they can glue magnet properly to light body, remount, and enjoy a quieter car.

Also, headrest mounts in the seats can rattle as well..loose plastic against metal.
  • tallmugtallmug Posts: 10
    I just bought a new key and key fob from a chevy dealership. The key does have the security chip in it, so you will need to replace it and get it programmed. The key and programming cost $27. I bought a key fob for $14 off of ebay new. When I had my key cut and programmed, they programmed the fob for free. Hope this helps out--

tallmug
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    I have the same problem with my Auto Volume. It seems tied to the whether or not the radio can get information about the current song. If I listen to a station with RDS data (shows station name, song name, etc...) I can press the Auto Volume button and adjust the setting. If I listen to a station without it, I can't. I took it to my dealer but, even with clear, step by step directions on how to reproduce, they totally misunderstood my problem. :sick:
  • Does anyone know when the 06's will be in showrooms. You can't even build one yet on the Chevy website???
  • tim10tim10 Posts: 15
    A dealership here in NW PA has a standard Malibu '06 on their lot. Looks great with the new front bumper, and they have a sharp looking square GM logo on the side doors as well. It's very odd to see the base models listed as LS now. The sticker price a base with ABS is still about $1500 less than the base with no ABS was last year.

I hope that they extend the employee pricing to 05 and 06 models for Sept. Of course the way things work and with the rebates, the best time to buy an 06 probably won't be until at least the middle of winter.
  • Thanks for the reply remaxx. I also seemed to notice some relationship with the RDS stations or not, but didn't quite make the full connection. Sometimes if I don't want to go through my presets to find an RDS, I just go to the CD player, switch the auto volume, then back to radio. A hassle yes, but oh well.
  • Yeah, I've been dying to build one on the website. Can't decide if I want to spend the extra dough to get the SS. Once I start adding airbags and spoiler to the baase Maxx LT, I wonder if it's just better to bump up to the SS which has it standard. But the poorer fuel economy is a minus.

I'm curious how much better the SS steering is. I test drove a 2005 LT a few weeks ago and loved the roominess and acceleration but couldn't figure out what was happening with the steering.
  • redmaxxredmaxx Posts: 627
    I found that removing the stereo fuse for a few minutes fixed the problem for a little while.
  • We purchased our 2005 in June. Yes, at first the steering is different. The very first week we owned it, we took it on a trip, (800 miles). Within a few hours, I got accustomed to the steering and found it to be effortless and very precise. Hope this helps. For what it's worth, saw my first 2006, SS version, just yesterday. Really liked the new front but as was noted it doesn't get the MPG that the standard Maxx does. With gas going nuts, I'm not sure I would have picked it. I would like to think, I would, but in the end perhaps common sense would have prevailed. :) :) :)
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I also don't mind the steering at all, although the car is slightly sensitive to road irregularities or poorly crowned roads.