Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    I tried another dealer and they said it is covered so I have an appointment for that fix tomorrow. Hope it all gets taken care of.
  • a21ozcoldcupa21ozcoldcup Member Posts: 4
    I formerly owned an '04 blue Maxx and just bought an '06 black SS...

I can't get enough of this car. The SS is freaking awesome, certainly my first Maxx was plenty peppy but the SS is twice as cool (IMO). Once you get a feel for it, you can floor the pedal and enjoy getting thrown back into your seat as your girlfriend yells at you.

I will agree the interior is.. simple... on the SS, but in some ways I like that. I prefer simplistic designs. The outside is a definite improvement as well, could do without the spoiler and windshield wiper, but she spoiler looks decent so I'll let it fly.

I always swore I'd never get leather seats in a car, but it looks and feel just fine, I was suprised. I guess growing up in the North, I grew to hate cold leather seats in the middle of winter. I like that they put cloth through the middle of the seats, I think it will help them maintain their quality appearance a little longer and keeps my [non-permissible content removed] from freezing as much.

The sound system is at least good... obviously not awesome but this isn't a luxury car. I do enjoy the auto-leveling, whenever you're flooring it to jump on the beltway here in DC, the music getting louder makes it all the more exciting.

I know some SS purists were upset that the Maxx got the SS treatment and that is isn't a BIG V8 with a rumbly exhaust. To them I only have to say: the 70s were over 30 years ago, an automatic V6 fares just as well on the track and highway as your old V8s. Sure a V6 isn't as sexy, sorry.. but you'll live. I think the speed they get from the 3.9 is impressive, considering it isn't supercharged. I have seen sites for getting my ecm upgraded to get another 20ish HP out of the engine.. again, without supercharging. So... HA! Would I have preferred RWD.. yeah, if I never had to drive to work. I do, however, wish they made AWD an option on the Maxx. It would have been a HUGE selling point.

I've read past comments on traction control, the one for the SS is awesome. My poor Maxx just fought through it's first snowfall, which was more of a freezing rain, snow and sleet-fall... got home from work after the storm, stepped out of my car and nearly fell on my [non-permissible content removed].. I never realized it was so slippy outside.. not a bit. Ice EVERYWHERE... and snow everywhere else. Anytime it felt like I was losing traction pulling in or out of my spot (they plowed all the snow into my parking spots... the TC kicked in and I kept moving.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I'm sad to see this car go. It's such a versatile, fun car to own. A true shame that it wasn't marketed properly (if at all?). The Malibu has made me a die hard GM fan, or at least a Chevy fan (especially since they got rid of that damn Cavalier finally!)

By the way, for perspective, I grew up beside a Toyota dealership, my first three cars were two Camrys and a Solara.... and I never felt about them the way I feel about the Malibu. I could give you a more in-depth comparison if you like, but the Malibu really is a quality vehicle and killer deal for it's price.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    a21, glad to hear you are so smitten with your Maxx. Our 2004 Maxx LT is soldiering on quite well. It is not fresh and new any more, but it still does the job. Rolled past 60k miles recently and the problems have been few and far between.

If Chevy had offered AWD on this vehicle, I would have jumped at it. In fact, we almost sold our Maxx recently in a quest for an AWD vehicle but decided against it.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    still here....my Maxx LT..just passed over 87K going to work today in the frozen DC area....still going strong.....without any problems as at all....
    So far, our GM Major Guard warranty has been a waste of money! I know it was purchased as 'insurance' and in that respect we have gotten some benefit from it. But the few repairs we've needed so far were within the factory 3 yr / 36k warranty. This being a 1st-year vehicle, the extended warranty seemed like a wise choice.

I'm not wishing for problems sometime in the next 35k miles, but if a problem is in store for our Maxx in the future, I sure hope it happens before the extended warranty runs out!
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Extended warranties usually have about a 100% markup. Dealers love 'em.
    Agreed. However, I think the GM Major Guard warranties are actually a pretty decent value if you buy them from Black's or any other dealer that will price them that low. I paid around $300 too much for mine and was ticked to learn afterwards that it is best to wait until 12,000 miles on the vehicle to purchase the GM Major Guard warranty, since the warranty period starts when the warranty is purchased.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    is its traction control is more sophisicated (info courtesy of e2helper some time ago), and actually brakes spinning wheels rather than just cutting power.

I'd seriously consider an SS if its gas mileage wasn't so poor.
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    I luv my 05 Maxx so Much I kept er in all winter ... nice in the Garage and Drove my Truck (GMC)... I miss the LT ride but spring will be here soon ( and so will my 3/36). I wish GM would keep these cars around and refine them just a bit ...not too much. BTW I took a ride with a guy who was in the trades, he had an 05 Maxx filled with tools and such... :blush: I wish I had my camera Who needs a truck ;) !D~
  • blumaxxblumaxx Member Posts: 20
    Our car is "schweet" but we still deal with the rough idle from time to time and no matter how many times we bring it into the shop, they can't find anything. We wanted them to flush the fuel injectors but they were saying there's nothing wrong. Tired of getting the run around......even the chevy customer service couldnt do anything. What, do we have to wait for a recall or something? It can be frustrating. :mad:
    I got my car back with the reprogram done as well as the rear main seal and oil pan gaskets/seals changed. One problem they couldn't find is that if I listen to the radio with the key turned to "ACC" after 10 minutes the lights on the radio dim and the car has to be jumped off.

e2helper, what causes this problem? I assume it's tied into the battery saver somehow.

Thanks.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Battery saver feature only shuts off interior lighting on this vehicle. If you are just listening to radio you will get 10 minutes of operation even with the key removed and in your pocket as long as you don't open driver door.

This doesn't really answer your question but are you saying that you only have trouble starting vehicle under this condition but you could leave it overnight and not have a problem starting as long as you didn't leave it in ACC for some amount of time? If so that will require a bit more thinkin' ;)
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    Anybody has this noise? When stop and go, the noise under the dashboard sounds like a marble ball is rolling in a metal pipe. No I don't think my kids dropped a marble ball through the vent as they were out of town last week and they never played alone inside the car. Any ideas?
  • davidwlidavidwli Member Posts: 9
    The rough idle is an inherent "problem" with the car. My dealer who is excellent when it comes to dealing with any warranty issues told me that unfortunately the slightly rough idle is normal and has to do with the emmissions control system.

I've had several problems with my Malibu all fixed under warranty, and I will replace it when the warranty expires. DL
  • hhmaxhhmax Member Posts: 44
    so it is a marble. I found a marble on the driver side floor and the noise is gone. The question is how did the darn thing get into there? I mean the marble is too big to fall throughh the air vent.
    Thanks for telling me that. I've been searching all over the internet, trying to find anything that would explain that. Unfortunately at times its a bit more than a slightly rough idle.....it can be very noticable!
    What problems have you had, might I ask?
    Robin :confuse:
    If I stay in the car, turn the car off, take the key out the battery saver function works perfectly for 10 minutes the radio will completely cut off at that time. However, if I leave the key in on "ACC" for 10 minutes I can watch the radio lights dim at that time, the radio basically quits and the battery is deader than a door nail requiring the car to be jumped off to start. It's almost like the battery saver function is kicking in conflicting with the key on ACC and causing a huge electrical load so big the only remedy is to jump it off.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Interesting....

This might take a few more messages for me to understand - bear with me ;)

First I want to provide some terminology:

Battery Saver is more accurately called "Inadvertent Load Protection" and on your vehicle should only be applied to the feature which turns off any interior lamps you leave on after ignition turned OFF and you wait for ??? minutes (I forgot how long).

"Retained Accessory Power (RAP)" is term used for how your vehicle's power windows/sunroof will continue to work after you turn the vehicle key off for up to 10 minutes or until you open ANY door.

"Delayed Accessory Bus" is similar to RAP and will also continue for a 10 minute period or until the DRIVER door is opened. On your vehicle this covers the way the radio works.

Your dealer likely won't be familiar with all these terms. RAP has been in use for the longest period of time.

If you are truly experiencing a condition where turning the ignition key to ACC and waiting 10 minutes results in radio turning off, radio lighting dimming, etc then something is not working as intended.

If that is happening it sounds like the "power moding" of vehicle has something wrong and you are running in some type of back-up mode which you are exposing by leaving the ignition key in ACC for over 10 minutes. There would likely be a code in BCM for dealer to read to help diagnose but there is one test I could suggest you can do on your own:

Open driver door and insert key in ignition without turning key. Does the "key in ignition" warning chime sound?

I am sure I can come up with something else to try but I have to think a bit more about it. Feed back results on this test and we can go from there.

Oh one more thing.......

Does your vehicle have remote start? If it does, does it work?
    Yes, the key in ignition warning chime sounds. I have remote start and it works.

Thanks.
    I was wondering if I could get some feeback on this. We are thinking of trading in the maxx for a subaru. I'm not impressed with the "inherent problems" it has. Anyone have any comments? Robin :cry:
    personal choice...what inherent problems are you referring too?...04 Maxx LT here with now problems and 87K on it....the issue with trading is you loss on tradein value on the Maxx depending on if you financed or paid cash for it....what model subaru.....check out their forum here as well
    I was referring to what the other poster had written about inherent problems of rough idle. We decided to stick with the Malibu. The Subaru was not that impressive. Robin
    The problem is fixed! It turned out the battery had a bad cell finally found with an electronic battery tester. I replaced the battery and the problem resolved! Thanks.
    we had that too! they must have installed bad batteries throughout the line
  • lne216lne216 Member Posts: 13
    I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem. GM says it is supposed to work this way.

There are days my temperature sensor does not update. I can drive all day around town and it stays at the morning temperature.

Yes, I have driven over 35 miles in 3 minutes like GM says I am supposed to for the temperature to be accurate. Yesterday I had to drive over 50 mph to get it to update. This morning no problems. This has been occuring more and more in the last few months.

It worked when I first bought the car but they replaced everything in the Information center as a CD got stuck. It has never worked correctly since that time. Dealer says that it is working correctly now.
    i.e. not updating even though my driving as the instructions from the GM bulletin.

I have spent more time in the shop for a newer car than I care to. I love driving this car but hate all the problems.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    My wife and I really like the Maxx. It seems to be a great choice for our young family: we have one child, a newborn baby. The other car we are considering is an Impala.

At first glance, the Maxx's 23.x cu ft of cargo space sounds like a nice advantage over the Impala's 18.6 cu ft. There sure are plenty of things to haul around with a kid! :)

But I have a safety concern. With the Impala, I know I can load the trunk to the gills and as long as I can shut it, I'm worry free.
    With the Maxx I am concerned that items piled high near the ceiling could become projectiles if I had to brake hard on some occasion, potentially falling on the heads of our kid(s). Or even in an accident - stuff could fly to the front seat.

I looked online and didn't see any kind of cargo divider available.

Any thoughts on safety in wagons/crossovers/etc?

I emailed Chevy and they said the 22.x figure is assuming you fill the cargo area from floor to roof. If I only fill it from floor to the top of the seatbacks, then it's way less space than the Impala.

Thanks-
    Brian
    Hi Brian. I hear your concern and its a valid one. Especially with young kids. Well you do have a point. You would be limited as to how high you could pile stuff. But....We love the Maxx. We have the LTZ version.
    It comes with this platform that you can use for various purposes, one being that you can put all your groceries under it and it protects it, plus there are hooks for plastic bags.
    Robin. If you have any questions, you can email me: ourfaithworx@gmail.com
  • a21ozcoldcupa21ozcoldcup Member Posts: 4
    I had a base 2004 Maxx and now a 2006 Maxx SS, both had a platform in the trunk that you can set to a desired height, it keeps everything under it packed in nice and tight. You can also fold down back seats and throw stuff back there. I think I'd prefer the Maxx to the Impala just because you can even pick up stuff like TVs, building materials, bicycles, etc. .. Supposedly the platorm can also double as a table for cookouts, there is a leg underneath to fold it out and a outlet in the back to plug in stuff.. I guess like a little portable grill..? All in all it's pretty versatile.. with the option to have a standard sedan-like trunk or to drop the platform and the seats down and have a lot of room.
    On My 05 MAxx I put in 3 kitchen cabinets. You wouldn't believe it but they fit!~ Put all the seats down. This is an unbelieveable car. YEs Car not Gas guzling SUV or "puny little vibe that only gets a few mor miles per gallon" ...editorial...sorry
    I've also carried 10 foot long parts such a lumber and conduit and closed the hatch. I wish I could show you.
    Anyway- I despise GM for getting rid of it !!!!!! I like to keep my cars 5 to 8 years and I would buy another if it were around then!! D~
    Robin and others-

Thanks for the thoughts. I do remember the shelf. But the highest it mounts is about even with the seatbacks. So if I only load below it, there's less "cubes" of space than the Impala.

What Chevy needs to sell is a netting that hooks into the ceiling and comes straight down either attaching around the tops of the seatbacks or straight down to the floor. Audi has a net that works that way for its wagons. I'm not sure how strong they are, whether they would hold back a heavy suitcase under hard braking or not.

Maybe I'll look inside a Maxx, see if there's anything near the roof I can secure such a net to.
    OR, pack everything heavy under the shelf (of course) and then pack stuff like pillows and soft duffle bags on top of the shelf, securing them to the shelf itself using bungee cords. That would probably be quite secure.

You guys make great points about moving furniture, TVs, lumber, etc. In those situations Maxx is definitely more versatile than Impala. Still not sure which is better for "the family vacation".

Brian
    dont know how many of the Maxxs out there are close to this number yet...I know there was one other on the forum that was ahead of this number....mine..purchased new in March of 04, LT fully loaded less the 6 disk CD player, mostly highway miles, had a daily commute of 150 miles for over 6 months which ran the total up....but trips to Jacksonville, FL; quite a few side trips to Greenville and Charleston, SC have accounted for many miles as well. All originating from Northern VA area.

My Maxx has performed very well, I have had no major repair or warranty issues....two small recalls, replaced left front turn signal socket, the TSB for the rear roof window retractable screen that I never had done nor the replacement of the mirror visor cover are all that come to mind.....I have done the basic scheduled maintenance...switched to synthetic oil at 30k and change every 7500 miles since then. Pics of the car are on my carspace here......

I have replaced only the windshield wipers, air and oil filters..and am on my third set of tires....upgraded my rims to aftermarket 17inch...and running my second set of tires...(Michelin Sport A/S) which I love.....I replaced the OEM brakes at 64K and turned the rotors...

Will have the major maintenance done at 100K, plugs, wires, coolant flush, will include brake fluid exchange and perhaps a transmission drain and fill. I still average 26 MPG in DC traffic and 30-32 MPG on the highway.

I have had no problems with the steering column, nor is the front end clunk of concern...mine is practically non-existent.....I have two small button indicator lights "OUT" and these are the fog light and defroster buttons. I did have the front windshield replaced....a rock strike star went to a full blown crack over the winter....but had it easily replaced for $240 locally with a chip repair for life warranty and leak proof warranty as well.

The Maxx has hauled a variety of stuff from dogs to vacation packings to household and outdoors stuff from the home improvement stores....the interior is still as good looking as the day I bought it .....the leatherette seating is holding up well with no cracking or creasing....

I too hate to see Chevy discontinue this car....however mine will probably be replaced with the 08 Cadillac CTS in about 18 months......unless we decide to maintain three cars.....but overall a highly satisfied Maxx owner here.
    "Will have the major maintenance done at 100K, plugs, wires, coolant flush, will include brake fluid exchange and perhaps a transmission drain and fill. I still average 26 MPG in DC traffic and 30-32 MPG on the highway."

Major dealer disappointment when I had to fight off the dealer who wanted to do most of this at 40K when I had my steering column replaced. The low service costs are a major attraction of the 'Bu.
    I know I can't link to other forums but MalibuMaxxed.com has a "friend in the know who works @ GM" report that there will be a new Maxx. Believe it when I see it.
    ""Major dealer disappointment when I had to fight off the dealer who wanted to do most of this at 40K when I had my steering column replaced. The low service costs are a major attraction of the 'Bu. ""

unfortunately there are still dealerships out there that "PUSH" services onto customers.....instead of following their own corporate scheduled maintenance plans...

curious did you ask why they were suggesting the service well in advance of the scheduled maintenance interval?
    I can't speak to the Maxx's "idle problem" - but could it just be a dirty fuel system? I find that every car I own (there's one GM, one Ford, and one Nissan in my garage) GREATLY benefits from a fuel system cleaner at least once a year.

My preferred method/and brand choices:

1. Buy a large bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate. This is the bottle that treats up to 20 gallons, don't bother with the smaller bottle even if it says its big enough for your tank. Also don't bother with the version that has been diluted already. Yes it's worth the $9-10 price tag this big bottle of concentrate carries.

2. Go to Shell, or another major brand gas station. Chevron, Mobil, Sunoco. For this one tankful, choose the highest octane gas they sell, because generally the premium gases have more detergents and this will assist the Techron in cleaning the injectors and combustion chambers.

3. Pour the Chevron Techron in, then fill your tank. This helps agitate & mix in the Techron.

4. Drive till tank is as close to empty as you can safely do without risking running out of gas. Do NOT top off until empty! You don't want to dilute the cleaner.

Every time I do this, I can feel idle quality improve afterwards, even when I go back to using cheap regular unleaded.
    Could it be $$$?

In actuality, I was still numb from paying $800 for the steering column. This would have taken it to about $1200 at least. Wish I had pushed the service writer. I had good luck with this dealer before (other than fuel system cleaning @ $100 every time I was in), but may be looking elsewhere. I did knock them in the dealer survey, although the standard check list approach (were they polite?) didn't give me much opening to make comments.
    Couple of comments. In bobistheoilguy (not allowed to link the forum), Techron and Gumout Regane are about the only two fuel system otc additives that get respect.

I've had good luck with Techron and am now trying Regane.

The difference between Top Tier gas and non-Top Tier gas is often marketing. Those that don't make the cut usually goose up (or advertise greater) detergency for higher octane. Doesn't have to be that way.

In my market Conoco/Phillips, Shell and QT meet top tier standards, BP and Mobil don't. I have made it a habit to bypass the Mobil and drive the extra half mile to get to QT. I think the TopTier standards ARE important.
    I too frequent Bob Is The Oil Guy. Lots of great info there. The other brand that is considered ok is SeaFoam. I have used it as a top-end engine cleaner by sucking it into the intake through a vacuum port and loved the results. Haven't used it in the gas tank yet.

I have tried Regane, and i'm not saying it's bad, but in my experience I feel the Techron has worked better.
  • pheislerpheisler Member Posts: 6
    I have exactly the same problem. The outside temp gauge is virtually useless, except for the first time I run the car in the morning, or if it sits for at least 3 hours before start-up. Since I use my car several times a day, it seldom sits that long before I use it again. How on earth can GM screw up something so simple, which every other manufacturer has long since mastered?
  • g0ldfingag0ldfinga Member Posts: 1
    I need to remove the stock stereo and cant figure out how to get the big panel off that surrounds it, the one that has the vents, etc..

Also is there a stock hole in the firewall to run power wire for an amp through?
    That's a lot more than a stereo.
    remeber your headunit also has the DIC center in it.....so if you remove that stereo.....you will loose that feature as well....or must buy an adapter mount for it I do belive
    fyi
    if you buy "crutchfield" products or equip.. they give you a detailed breakdown for the job. I know I have it somewhere as I took the stereo out to install thier Schocce FM modulator so I can use the MP3 and other headphone jack devices... D~
  • marlapmarlap Member Posts: 18
    I am having alot of clicking when I am turning that sounds like it is right under the floorboard. I have an 05 maxx that wouldn't u know it just hit the 36500 mark. Is this an expensive repair and has anyone had the same problems with the steering?
    Hi- Sounds like my 05 Maxx with 34K .... but mine just does it at low speeds in Reverse while turning / when I'm backing up. Anybody else? D~
    well i hope for your sake you take it in b4 the warranty runs out like mine has!!good luck!
    If you're just a little over the warranty, the dealer can do a good-faith type repair and have it covered by GM.

It's their call though, and usually based on whether you bought the car there, how much you've used their service department, etc.

You're so barely over, I would hurry in, and ask for assistance, don't be shy. :) Good luck!
    Hi
    On my 05 Maxx the rear wiper plastic cover over the arm ceter drive hub cracked. (small round pc broke away) It seems it just covers the bolt and is aesthetic only, I wonder if this "arm" is covers by warranty? D~
    hey you were right!! I called and they said it would be covered. they also said they have had problems with the malibu's steering columns so it's a good thing i called :)
    Great news! That will save you at least a few hundred.

I have things I could gripe about GM service departments over, but turning a cold shoulder at 36,001 miles is not one of them. :shades: