Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• prdmprdm Posts: 145
    <HELP! My first traction control snow test with my new Maxx (140 miles) came last night. I put the transmission in 2nd...strong burning smell.>

Let me first say I don't have much experience driving an automatic transmission but I think if you shift to 2nd you have locked the transmission in 2nd. No upshifts or downshifts can happen. So if the tires break free they are going to spin like mad. I suspect what happened was your tires stared to spin and were locked in second gear spining (and burning) until you stopped. Maybe just leave the thing in D and see what happens.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 229
    When in "L" and putting the transmission in a gear, it doesn't lock it in that gear, it just prevents it from shifting up higher then that gear, but will still downshift. So I don't think that is exactly the cause. This is really just an advertised "tap shift" type system, but really its just like moving it down into 3, 2, or 1 as you would in any other automatic transmission.
    So in this case then putting the lever in 2 just dictates the upper limit? If I shift to 3 (is there one?) then the only gear locked out is 4? Man, my had hurts. Aside from running a long time downhill is there any reason to leave D?
  • e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Description of this ETS function is covered in owner manual for 2004 Malibu around pages 4-9 & 4-10
  • dplavdplav Posts: 6
    today i got my car back after taking it to another dealership to try and get the "highway pulling/leading to the left" problem fixed after my original dealership where I bought my car told me not to come back because the steering pulling problem is "fixed.". they say it's torque steer, yeah sure it is. wait until you hear this one. not only did the other dealership tell my i had a red flag next to my name from chevrolet but they didn't even put down on my repair order that i came in for a "highway driving" concern. we all know why they avoided putting down "highway driving pulling/leading to the left" because theres an open tsb that fixes that problem.

instead they put down i came in for the exact problem as i did before which was the car pulling to the left when accelerating from a red light. then as im driving out of the lot i noticed i have no heat. there's no light on my heat display to show the temp or anything! the dealership did something to my car intentionally to turn off the heat in my car. i live in WI and today it was 5 degrees. I drove back and then they told me to leave and that chevy told them not to touch my car for the steering problem. i told them that's fine, but they have to fix the heater that they intentionally broke. they told me to leave or they will call the police. my mailbu has 8,000 miles on it and never had a heating problem where you couldn't even turn on your heat in your car. chevy corp. is obviously playing games with me and now they intentionally disconnected my heater.

i don't know what else to say or do. the WI DOT who is investigating my original dealer will also hear about this other dealership.
  • avantiavanti Posts: 27
    "e2helper" - I don't want to put you in a spot - but since you brought up 2006 models: any changes to the Maxx for 2006 you can talk about? I recall you mentioned a "Malibu" trim piece on the dash is being modified, I've read there could be a new front design, and I think the "hybrid" has been pushed off to 2007 or 2008, but know nothing else. Any chance the Maxx will get "Stabilitrak" or a similar system?
    Let's just wait and see for further details, OK?

I am hoping one of these car shows this year creates some announcement on features like I have seen already for the 2006 G6 GTP and the Coupe and Convertible models.

If I see something out there public I will post link to it.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you need a lawyer at this point..have you consulted one...and i dont mean a lemon law attorney
  • wow look what i found!

the dealer never did this and that's why the heat doesnt work!

Important: During the service reprogramming in the next step, DTC U2127 may be set in the body control module (BCM) and P1626 in the powertrain control module (PCM). These codes must be cleared immediately following the reprogramming. In addition, the IBCM 1 (30 amp) fuse located in the underhood electrical center must be removed for 10 seconds and then reinstalled. Failure to remove and reinstall this fuse will result in the HVAC system not functioning.
  • Was that information in the Service manual?

Incidently, for those who are curious as to if a "chevyfans" site exists on the web, typing in full path for chevyfans.com within your browser will take you to a page dissing Chevy with a clickable line below it. That line will put you on the Ford motor site!
  • nope it was from a good gm tech friend of mine in FL.
    Dealer would look up #PI01535A (Jan '04). Instructions slightly different but the intent is the same - cycle battery power to HVAC control head after service reprogramming of another module in vehicle.

I should have guessed that was it but didn't know it was an LT :)
  • ericw55ericw55 Posts: 53
    After reading some of the posts in these forums, I feel like I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Thanks, guys.
    Sorry I am dense but I don't understand reference - did I miss some TV commercial or something :)
  • ericw55ericw55 Posts: 53
    If you spent less time engineering, and more time watching inane TV shows, you would have seen the commercials. Oh well. Thanks anyway, for all the great info.
  • How have others fared with their Maxxes in the Rain?

Edmunds claims the maxx wheels respond slowly to the wheel but mine (which has the steering column fix) seemed to behave very well in the recent California storms over LA. Driving 55-60 on the freeway, the Maxx tracked steady (no nervousness like the ION or the recent Jetta rental), was not deflected by the gusty winds, did respond promptly to small turns of the wheel (a 5 degree shift from center was plenty in most cases), and the wheel did provide some road feel. The windshield wipers occasionally jumped a bit from the gunk thrown up on the glass from our greasy roads, but never chattered.

By comparison, a rental 2004 Jetta had chattering wipers, and hair trigger steering responses in similar rain. On other hand, its ride never had the "gut jiggle" the Maxx sometimes produces (Perhaps in 2006, GM can be kind enough to add hydraulic bushings to the rear suspension as they have done with the Cobalt?).
    All right this post is suspect. Everyone knows that no car without flashing lights has ever reached 50 mph on the clogged LA freeway system since the late 70's.

Incidentally, chattering wipers is probably an indication of age - keep them fresh; every six months or so especially in sunny climates due to ozone.
  • Actually the median speed on most LA freeways is 80 or so, whenever the traffic allows it (late night, before high noon, parts of weekends). Drivers of tuned Civics, Accords, Audis, and BMW's go crazy when traffic gets heavy. Tuesday is the worst as lots of trucks are on the roads due to railroad capacity limitations.

My Maxx wipers are a year old so I guess they need replacing.
  • My first "long drive" in September was in a driving rainstorm--about 80 miles out to the Hamptons from Queens. Up until that point I'd only driven around the city since I bought the car in July.

I was nervous, but the car handled beautifully. I had a couple of short stops and the brakes were firm and stable. I ended up driving through a couple of rather deep puddles but had no problems.

Recently I took a longer trip to Ohio(500 miles each way) and ended up in a bad sleet and snowstorm. Again, no problems--the car made me feel confident.
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    Last September I drove through the Catskills & southern NY state and got caught in a blinding, torrential rainstorm -- the kind where the rain is coming down so hard on the roof that you have to crank the stereo way up -- and my Maxx was excellent. The water was just puddling all over the 4-lane section of Route 17 but the Maxx tracked straight, and the wipers at high speed worked perfectly. A very confidence-building experience!
  • townhometownhome Posts: 104
    My Maxx has been doing great in all of this California rain. I agree, kurtamaxxguy, better than my 99 Jetta. As a matter of fact, it was actually kind of relaxing driving home from the Auto Show today in the pouring rain. Everyone was just cruising about 40 mph and no one was tailgating -- how refreshing!
  • townhometownhome Posts: 104
    I just got back from the LA Auto Show and have some observations.

1) The Malibu and Maxx are quality products, even though many people refuse to believe it. The interior quality is on par with the Accord, and slightly less than the Camry. It is MUCH better than the Altima.

2) The comfort and romminess of the Maxx is much better than in some cars that are larger and more expensive, such as the new Five Hundred, the new Legacy, the Grand Prix, and almost all of the small SUV's.

3)The Maxx is a bargain! Plain and simple.

4) Most people (in L.A. at least) will simply never buy the Maxx because it is a domestic product. I blame the Big Three for this to a certain extent (they did unload some crap on the us in the '80's and early '90's), but I also think that many people are just shooting themselves in the foot by not considering the newest cars GM is producing. The Maxx, and the Cobalt, are competitive products. (Although the new LaCrosse was a disappointment.)

5) This is not about the Maxx, but I had to say it anyway. Ford's new Five Hundred was a trip -- it looks pretty good on the outside but has an interior that should be in the updated Crown Vic. It is not the kind of car that appeals to anyone under 60. Their new Fusion, on the other hand, looks like it will appeal to those in their 30's and 40's. Maybe that is their product plan.

Overall, I am happy to report that my trip to the Auto Show made me feel happy about buying a Maxx. If I had to do it over again, I would buy another Maxx without hesitation, except this time I would get the sunroof!
  • Townhome, Thanks for observations on Maxx .vs. competiton.

Also, any observation as to what was the most popular car at the show (my hunch: Chrysler 300 and the upcomming Dodge Daytona)

For some reasons Americans now hate hatchbacks.

Example: The VW Golf is far more popular than the Jetta in overseas markets, but in the USA the reverse is true.

I suspect even the mighty Chrysler 300C would be a flop in a hatchback version here in the USA. Overseas, who knows?
  • bwolterbwolter Posts: 51
    The only issue with rain that I have is when going through a car wash or heavy rain, I hear water draining very loud when it drains. It sounds like water pouring into the cabin, but have never found any wet spots.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    Im quite happy with the steering response on my 04 Maxx LT here in the northern va area..fighting the I-95 and I-66 commute and traffic heading either in or out of the Washington DC area...did a 300 mile trip around the area this weekend..(over 16k on the maxx now) and had several opportunities to quickly steer away or accelerate away from other "problem" drivers....Im impressed with the performance, had a mustang GT 5 Spd prior to the Maxx...havent had any of the learned sluggish responses...for lack of better words...most of my miles are highway miles with not a lot of stop and go....

wipers were problematic...had that skipping problem with the smearing of the windshield...changed the wipers out and havent had any problems since....

is a time for another poll yet?...how many miles do you or have you put on y ou Maxx in the first year????
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    If you have a sunroof, the sound you hear is probably normal. In a heavy downpour or in a car wash with pressure jets, water can get by the sunroof seal. The sunroof assembly between the headliner and roof on the Malibu has channels to catch and drain water. There are four hoses to drain the water down the front and back A and D pillars.
  • snowcatsnowcat Posts: 13
    You are correct. It is for a very special, expensive box of Kleenex to slip in there. I see them at the register at my car wash.

SnowCat

Drive like a screaming maniac with my hair on fire.

'04 Malibu Maxx 'Crow'

'91 Pontiac 6000 'Swan'

'69 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe 'Goldfinger'
  • bhw77bhw77 Posts: 101
    Hi,

Did anyone try to find bumper guard for MAXX?

Hence GM doesn't make them - Do you think

Protege5 guard would fit?
    Hello again, snowcat. How has your radio been working recently?