Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• mikeb64mikeb64 Posts: 1
    I would like to get some input on rust proofing. I live in the northeast were there is alot of road salt and sand on the roads in the winter. Some people tell me that rust proofing is a waste of money because the manufacturer rust proofs all the components before assembling the truck. I want my new truck, when I get it, to stay looking new for as long as possible. To me rust proofing it for a couple hundred dollars is a wise investment considering I'm trying to protect my $30K investment. I'd like to hear your opinions on this topic. Many thanks to all.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    It adds weight, and one little crack in it and it traps the salt and moisture. The worst thing you can do is put your salty vehicle in a heated garage. When it's got salt on it let it stay frozen. When it warms up spray it off. I had it on one vehicle and didn't see where it held up any better. 'course this was back in the '70s, maybe the stuff is better now.
  • dbossmandbossman Posts: 28
    Anybody with extensive towing experience with the SuperCrew? I tow a vintage mustang around on an open trailer 3 or 4 times per year.

Thanks
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,019
    The new Ford Truck Owners club is now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Pickups.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    hey guys,

need someone with an '02 s-crew to do me a favor. i was just looking at my maintenance schedule book which came with my owner's manual. in the normal maintenance schedule it never mentions having to change the tranny fluid in the 4r70w tranny (which is the tranny all s-crews have except for the harley version which has the 4r100). anyhoo, i find this totally odd. would one or more of you check your manual to see what you come up with...? thanks.

btw, the special (severe) maintenance section specifies 30k tranny fluid change intervals for all automatics. but i'm wondering about normal service. thanks again...
  • irondukeironduke Posts: 1
    I just got one,and i love it so far.i`m not sure if theres a problem but at low speeds i feel a vibration on steering wheel and feel it thru accecerator.not a shimmy or shake but vibration,feel vib. at highest point of 45mph.any ideas,or similar exp.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bowhuntwibowhuntwi Posts: 262
    I have a similar vibration, I can feel it mostly going up a hill at low speeds...I haven't taken it in yet, but I will shortly...just turned over the 10k mi. mark after a trip to Missouri. Let me know if you find anything out.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    If you have a late Ford truck that uses the PATS ignition key(chip in it) get an extra key and use the onboard system of the truck to program the key! You need two functioning keys to program another key. The truck owners manual has instructions in on the procedure.

My wife lost her key to our 2001 Super Crew and it will now cost us $70.00 to get a new programed key at the dealer.

You can buy the key at the dealer, some locksmiths and on ebay where a couple of lock smiths sell the PATS key blanks.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    Anyone know if any changes will be made to the 03 Supercrew. I am interested in a 4x4, and I know the expeditions got a little redisign. I was wondering if the F-150's will be looking any different. Thanks.
    Anyone have the Keyless Start option or know how this works on the new F-150's??? After you start the engine can you just get in and drive, or do you still have to put the key in. I'm just a little curious on how this works. Thanks for any info.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,835
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jdlynch2jdlynch2 Posts: 20
    I am waiting for delivery of my 2002 F-150 4x2 supercrew. I really liked the way the grill assembly looked on the 4x4, but I could not see paying the extra money just for better looks (I have no need for four wheel drive).

Would it be possible to changeout the 4x2 series grill for the one that comes with the 4x4? What other options do I have?
  • tgrajektgrajek Posts: 3
    Has anyone seen a website or any information for the 2003 Supercrew specs? I've checked just about everything I know of and ZIP!
  • In Automobile Magazine May 2002 issue, page 16. It mentioned that Ford has pushed back the introduction of the next generation F-150 pickup from fall 2002 to early summer 2003, making it a 2004 model. It also reported that the powerplants will be carried over. Other than that, not much else is given.
    i think ford has now specified 5w20 for all their ohc v8s dating back to the early 90s.

anyhoo, i think amsoil makes a 5w20...i don't know of anyone else, yet. i'm sure we will see more 5w20 appearing since honda is also now using 5w20 in some of its motors...

btw, i use the motorcraft 5w20 in my truck ('02 king ranch 4x4 5.4l) and it seems to work just fine. truck doesn't appear to use any oil, or if it does it doesn't use any between 3k changes.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Posts: 262
    I get them at times when I see the elephants ears coming at me on the highway connected to a nice crew cab SD. Now I don't feel like the lone ranger making jump back down in size. Most guys dream of the day when they can own a SD Crew Cab 4x4, but it is a huge truck to get around in. I take my truck to Good Year for my oil changes, with $5 off coupon you can get online, I pay around $15 for an oil change. I haven't switched to synthetic and have always used Pennzoil with no problems. Just turned my truck over 13000 mi and no problems to speak of, except 2 weekends ago, I pulled into my father-in-laws garage, loaded up our stuff, went to back up and the garage door had slipped down, scraped the cap right down about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long
    and scratches across the top. ARE is repainting and clear coating for $290. I have a ford esp 100,000 mi 0 deductible warranty so I'll drive it out and get rid of it before the major tune up at 100K. I think you will find the Screw is a more useful vehicle then the SD Crew Cab, unless you used the SD for what it was built for in Pulling.

Reason I didn't get the Screw before was, it wasn't out yet when I bought my SD Crew Cab. But I'm glad I bought a SD first and then went to a Screw. To understand that you gotta experience it first.
  • cyberdad2cyberdad2 Posts: 13
    Hi All,

I just purchased a new 2001 4x2 SuperCrew off of the lot (it has sat there since August 2001 - 91 miles on it), possibly in a grassy area.

The calipers have a lot of surface rust and the rotors have splotches of rust - is this normal, or should I take it back to the dealer ASAP to get new parts put on???

I'm really enjoying the truck so far. 17.4 mpg on the first tank.

Thanks for you suggestions!

Cyberdad Steve
  • frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    All mild steel rotors are going to rust quickly when not being driven and scoured by those pads on a regular basis.The rust on the calipers and ANYWHERE ELSE under the truck is typical FORD !! Look at ANY Ford on the underside and many suspension parts will be rusted to hell in no time. Ford does not seem to care that these steel parts rust extensively. This is an area that Ford needs to work on.
    Maybe they can learn from Toyota or Honda about how to make the underside NOT turn to iron (III) oxide.
    ;-)
  • eleets00eleets00 Posts: 27
    Hello all. I would like to know if anyone here owns the 2000 F150 Harley Davidson SuperCab &/or the 2001 F150 Harley Davidson CrewCab. How do they drive? How is the reliability? What is the gas mileage like? I'm looking at the 2002 Ram Quad Cab, but like the Harley Davidson F150's better. But.. after my 96 Contour fiasco, I'm skeptical of buying another Ford product (I've heard the horror stories on the pre-2K2 Ram's). I live in Stn Mtn/Lithonia, GA & have to drive 48 miles round trip to work every day. Plus I plan on getting sport bike & would like to know which one is better equipped to handle the bike. How much should I expect to pay for either? Any info/advice anyone can provide will greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyone know where I can get some info on the next generation F150's?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,835
    A major daily newspaper is writing a story about collision damage insurance, and is looking to talk with drivers who have run into deer or moose. "In most states, such an encounter is not covered by comp. or collision damage insurance; you need special coverage. I want to talk to people who have had these collisions and learn how they handled them. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from people who were involved in some other sort of incident involving their auto and found out that insurance they thought they had was not there." Please respond no later than Monday, June 3 to paudel2001@msn.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks as always!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• mtnmikemtnmike Posts: 100
    Man I can't believe this string is still going. I last posted here almost two years ago and was in on the begining of this topic. I have been driving my 2001 SCREW since Sept of 2000. What a fantastic truck. Well I just ordered a new 2003 SCREW with an anticipated delivery date sometime in the first week of September. Used the same dealer and got the same great deal; that is I paid invoice for the truck. I am going to really miss my first SCREW (have a buyer for $27,500 WOW);but I know I'll love the second one just as well.
  • jfowlerjrjfowlerjr Posts: 20
    Were you able to order the new 5.4 liter when you ordered yours?

James
    What will be the changes for the 03 supercrew? What is different about the NEW 5.4 liter, is it going to be better. I will be buying a supercrew towards the end of this year. I was going to get an 02 harley but not if the 03's are out. I hope they make the harley's for 03, anyone have any info, and anyone know when the re-designed 04 will come out??? thanks
    from what i've read the 5.4l doesn't get an upgrade in power/torque until late '03 for the '04 model year. changes for the '03 supercrew are mostly cosmetic like paint colours, etc...don't know anything about the new '04s...
    I ordered the 5.4L and was unable to find out at the time of order if that is the 5.4 2 valve or the new 5.4L 3 valve. I had read the 2003's were possibly going to have the new 5.4L 3V's but even my dealer had very limited information. So honestly I really don't know. I'll have my DORA for the 2003 Screw next week and may be able to tell from that. Actually I have been more than happy with the torque and performance of the 5.4L 2v in my 2001 Screw; so anything better will be a bonus.
    This link would lead one to believe the 2003's will have the new 5.4L 3v engine and a different tranny; but who really knows.There is very little info out there on the 2003 5.4L Screws.

http://www.bonforums.com/trucks/f_20035.htm

i think blueoval has their dates wrong on the 3v 5.4l engine. if the 3v were ready, the brand new '03 expedition would probably have it...but it doesn't. i'm pretty sure the 3v motor isn't showing up until next summmer or fall when the f150 series is updated.
  • tkenny53tkenny53 Posts: 41
    First , if you care for your truck your not going to put Penzoil or Fram filters in it, second
    synthetic motor oils are being changed as we speak. Amsoil is the only current 100% oil on the market, the other so called synthectic's are a mix of hydrocarbon and synthectic. That known, Amsoil is now considering changing to this mix also, and, to lower the price and be competive. If this happens there will be no longer a 100% synthecic oil available. This applies to the 7500 brand of oil. I'm not a dealer but do use Amsoil, and have to pay the $9.00 a qt for it. There is lots of talk about this and Amsoil needs to know this not not what people want. If that happens then were back to basic oils and its a crap shoot all over again, comments?
    Try this link then access Super Crew: However, this site does not give powertrain specifics:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/fleet_showroom/Light_Trucks.asp

This discussion has been closed.