Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Cabriolet Airbag light on

cody77cody77 Member Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Volkswagen
I am looking at buying a Cabrio but the airbag light is on....according to the owner, someone tried to break into it and of course, it shut down everything. I am wondering if this is related to the alarm system or possibly something else. Thank you!

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The owner should have the car scanned and the code # handy. With the light on, the airbag is currently inoperative. The airbag doesn't light through the alarm system. It's probably a sensor of some sort, maybe cheap to fix, maybe expensive. An air bag control module, for instance, is pricey--over $600 from the dealer.
  • cody77cody77 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!!! I saw that the radio has to be reset by the VW dealer too....so I will get a price for those things and then revise the offer for the car. NO way am I paying for this on top of cost of the car.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Or, have the guy fix everything...he should get the code reset at least because the dealer will ask for registration and ID. The radio only asks for a code when the battery power is interrupted, so I don't think that is related to the "break in" either. Anyway it would be good to know that the radio at least works.