Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bugg2008bugg2008 Member Posts: 7
    Yey Ykckby!
    Way to go girl!! I knew that you had it in you! You worked a deal that you can feel good about, as knowledge is power. Your homework paid off. Remember how you felt when you first thought about the car buying process?-you have come a long way.
    I certainly concur with you regarding there being value in dealing with an upfront dealership with integrity. It amazes me how difficult they make it for you when you are trying to compare apples to apples, especially being a female.
    I am so glad to have helped-
    Would you mind sharing the name of the dealership that you decided to go with? I am just curious-
    Best of luck with your new "ride"!
    Bugg
  • rmfillyrmfilly Member Posts: 6
    I just bought an 08 and want to add a dvd system. Hubby doesn't like the headrest ones, so searching for flip down versions. Some places say that the ceiling is thin on the crv's. Any suggestions? Anybody had any installed in theirs. I do have the moonroof too.
  • rmfillyrmfilly Member Posts: 6
    I didn't mean to post the dvd post in this thread. I think we got screwed on our purchase price. The internet manager gave us $500 off msrp which was 27500 for EXL w/Navi, but we also had to pay for dealer add ons. We ended up paying 28700 before taxes, that includes us requesting them to add the spoiler and roof rack. Oh well, I love it. Except the leather is not that great of quality on the seats. We are in DFW area of Texas. All dealers I spoke with said that they are sellling great right now and they can't negotiate much on the price.
  • ykckbyykckby Member Posts: 30
    Thanks Bugg and Mquillen...I do feel we got an excellent deal. It's a strange game...one dealer called yesterday (their quote was not even competitive at $1800 over the low ones) and said come to us and we'll match it. Told them were the players reversed they wouldn't appreciate my ethics is walking away from their offer to someone who jumped in the ring at the last minute.

I think the internet process works well for Honda because there are essentially no options...thus you are absolutely comparing apples to apples. I also (thanks to Mquillin) realize the importance of when asking for quotes to go to a dozen dealers if possible within a 100 mile radius and most importantly..make it clear you are ready to buy and not interested in dealing games but simply want their bottom line. It makes it easy to toss out those who only want to get you in the door.

Mquillin...I was tempted to ask the one guy for a color I knew they didn't have just to hear him say "oh yes...we'll get you that i promise" I ended up with Glacier Blue with gray leather. There was a good choice available.

Bugg..I purchased the car from Chambers Burlington but also got the same quote from Chambers Boston (same form email). It was as I said, not the lowest but the person to whom I spoke was far more professional than the other dealer. They made it clear they couldn't budge toward the other quote and I appreciated their being so straight forward. Called the lowest quote and was totally put off so called them back and said ok. Chambers Boston did a follow up, told them I purchased from Burlington due to location and they said great, glad you stayed in our family. Others still following up - one even saying I have 3 days to break the deal and come to them....not sure what they think would be enticing to me about a dealership with those ethics!

Best was experience in the dealership but of course I wasn't going in to do any haggling. Salesman that it was turned over to has been more than gracious and accommodating. I would recommend him to anyone who wants his name. He and finance ran through their "have to's" of add ons but from the beginning I made it clear I wasn't interested so they just skimmed through it.

Picking it up today.....
  • mquillenmquillen Member Posts: 71
    I got the Glacier Blue as well. It's a great color, and has a lot of "flop" in the paint. Flop is the tendency for a finish to color shift at different angles. My first choice was the Borrego Beige, but they were unavailable. I think I like the Glacier just as well now that I have it, and the gray leather is great--no nav on mine though :-( lol.

Yes, I love it when other dealers, who only tried to feed me a line of BS before I bought, call me up and tell me they could have matched or beaten the price I got. Some will admit that they just can't go that low, and that's OK. Every dealer is a different business.

Although the sales department at the dealer I bought from would not negotiate much at all on accessories, their parts department did agree to sell me accessories at internet prices, or close to it: rear tray, spoiler, spl grds. I only paid $220 for the spoiler, and since it's a painted part, I could inspect it to make sure there were no runs or sags. To me the small premium was worth it (by the way, drilling holes in a new car is not for the squeamish).
    Rmfilly, there are some dealers that don't want to budge much on price, and in some areas it's hard to get one to "crack." Even I have to admit, some people have better things to do than contact every dealer in the area to get the best deal they can. My wife even asked me how many more dealers I was going to alienate before we got a car, lol. I used to be a professional purchasing agent so I view it as a challenge. I think many on this board will attest that it takes some time and patience. Enjoy your car, there are many that paid more than you did. In the big scheme it doesn't matter much. Also, you're right about the leather, mine seems a little thin in spots, but not bad.
  • crvhappycrvhappy Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a new, 2008 glazier blue CR-V Ex AWD from Boch Honda in Norwood, MA: $22,000.00 plus $298.00 doc fee plus 5% Mass tax plus small fee ($100 or less, I don't have the form in front of me) for title. On top of that I selected about $480 worth of accessories (cargo mat, floor mats, splash guard, wheel locks, chrome tail pipe sleeve. I prob. overpaid for the accessories but I was tired by that point).
    Prior to this date, the lowest price was $23,000 from two other local dealers then Boch came down to $22,600 and now Boch came down to $22,000.00 plus the doc fee (so essentially $22,298.00). I assume this is because the 2009's will be out soon. I did not have any trade in. I paid part cash and part financed- through AAA. I will pick up the car next week. :)
    I just bought the EX AWD from Boch Honda, Norwood MA for $22,000 plus $298 doc fee plus Mass. 5% taxes plus small title charge of less than $100. So it seems to me you could try to get more reduction for an LX. I know it is a different area of the country but since the 09's are coming soon I keep hearing Honda ads on the radio for clearance and sales. Good luck!
    I think Boch Honda in Norwood MA is currently advertising 19,900 or something like that for the LX but I don't know if it FWD or AWD. I got the EX AWD this week for base price $22,000. plus $298 doc fee plus tax/title.
    Happy....great job, that's 1300 under invoice. I would have considered Boch but I live north of Boston and would need service up here. Congrats on your new car...picked mine up last night and love it.

I found that the larger dealers, who obviously have more inventory, are more willing to give better deals on the '08s and the smaller ones can't compete in this particular year end selling. There are undoubtedly going to be differences in other parts of the country but were I shopping anywhere, I would be looking for invoice less a few hundred.

On the other hand, had I recently purchased one that wasn't priced as competitively, I would just ignore all this and enjoy my new car :D
  • ghostyghosty Member Posts: 8
    I am about to drop the hammer on either a GLACIER BLUE 2WD EX-L w/ NAV (MSRP 27,870) dealer price 25,950 with a out the door price after TTL for 27,752 .... or ... a RED 2WD EX-L w/ NAV (MSRP 27,870) dealer price 26,500 -- out the door after TTL for 28,377.

Do these seem like good prices to you or do you think i can get lower...??

thx
  • cschwartz59cschwartz59 Member Posts: 14
    I just purchased a Red 2WD EX-L w/NAV in So Cal for $25,188 including destination before TTL. Another dealership in town had the same vehicle for $25,500. It's a shame your dealer is charging more for the Red. We are very happy we were able to get one. It's quite a stunning color when it's all detailed.
  • rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    Just about to close a deal for a friend on a 2008 EX AWD for $23091 (includes Dest chg). Better than the AAA quote I got at $23357.

Now I'm being offered a 6 year/75k wty for $995. Sales mgr says a) it covers all non-wear and tear parts, eg tires and brakes, and that if its not used in the 6 year coverage period it is fully refunded at the end. Of course, it also includes roadside assist and such, but I'm a big fan of AAA anyway. Seems reasonable but wanted some feedback. She (my friend) seems to think its worth it.

Any thoughts?
    Rap
    Both CAR and TRACK and CONSUMER REPORTS disagree wiht your friend.

Extended Warranties are never worth the price -- for at least three years during the course of the 6 year extended warrany you will have regular factory warranty to rely on -- and over 90% of things that go wrong on a car do so in the first 6 months...

I would take the $995 and put it in a mutal fund and let it grow -- if you need something fixed after the 3 year mark then you at least have 995 (which would have grown to probably $1200 by then) to take care of any problems...

also right before your three year factory warranty runs out then if you still want to do it then you can easily pick up a three year additonal warranty for about $700 ...

SAVE YOUR MONEY
  • rapriderraprider Member Posts: 42
    My sense is pretty much the same, ghosty! Thanks for the confirmation.
    Rap
  • wifecraz4crvwifecraz4crv Member Posts: 2
    i have a drive out price offer of 26,700 for a black cr-v. this is in ATL. What do you guys think? its 2wd EX-L w/NAV.
    Does that include TTL??? - the invoice on these cars are 26,010 -- I got that directly from Honda -- I just don't see why they would be selling them below Invoice since they are not having trouble moving them ...but if thats your drive out then man I would jump on it... thats 1000 less then i could find at 6 dealers i have been dealing with...
  • gandblahgandblah Member Posts: 1
    Folks
    This is the lowest offer I am getting.

MSRP : $26,700
    Invoice: $24,822

Offer : 25439 Plus Tax
    This includes the destination charge of 670 so the car's price is : 24769 so it's about 50 bucks below invoice.

Could you please let me know if it's a fair offer or if I can do better?

Thanks
  • wifecraz4crvwifecraz4crv Member Posts: 2
    This is the out of the door price including everything. I don't think the car has any accessories but i don't know if i will be getting any installed by them. i will go to the dealership today and see if there is some more room for negotiation.
  • osasaposasap Member Posts: 16
    Would you be able to post the email you sent to the various dealers? I would love to use it as a template
    I don't have the email but what I did go to the Honda USA site and put my zip code in the dealer locator and hit "find all". It gave me 14 or 15. It provides a link to "get a quote" and you fill it out. Don't put in a phone number (BIG mistake).
    Then in the comments I wrote something like this:

I am ready to buy a CRV EX-L AWD with Navi and will do so within a week. Please provide BY EMAIL only a detailed quote.
    Your quote should indicate the vehicle price, destination charges, document fees, licensing fees and any other fees I would incur.
    I will respond to competitive quotes which include all fees and expect to complete the purchase within a few days.

I did not "deal" and didn't want to go back and forth trying to get the breakdown. For me it worked. Out of 14 requests I received 10 quotes, 8 of which were complete with the detail. If one was "competitive" and lacked detail I asked for a breakdown.

Good luck
  • icedudeicedude Member Posts: 2
    Contact Markley in Ft. Collins. They will beat that price. :) Let us know what you find out.
    Here's what mytemplate looks like -- I sort of plagerized a little - :-)

I am ready to buy a CRV EXL 2WD with Navi and will do so within a week.
    Please provide BY EMAIL only a detailed quote.
    Your quote should indicate the vehicle price, destination charges, document fees, licensing fees and any other fees I would incur.
    I am only looking for either Glacier Blue, Green Tea, or Red in color in that order.
    I will respond to competitive quotes which include all fees and expect to complete the purchase within a few days. I will either pay cash, USAA bank draft or finance through your dealership, whichever gets me the best OTD price.
    Due to my schedule I do not have time to "deal" or do call-backs to “get your best price” so to make this easy on everyone I have sent this to --Lowest deal gets the business.
    That's good Ghosty....be sure when you get your quotes that if they say "price is only good on in stock" that you nail them down in writing that they have the vehicle color you want. In other words they may tell you they can get the color you want but "forget" to tell you that it adds a few hundred dollars. That's fine but only if it comes out to be competitive.

You also might want to check the inventory on line of the dealerships you are writing to see who actually has the colors you want. I got Glacier Blue with gray....very nice. Good luck finding a green - I've not seen any in stock here in New England in months. There are several reds.

At this time of year, you will likely get your best quote from either a large dealer or someone who happens to have the car you want in stock.
  • jmc1010jmc1010 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2008 Honda CR-V EX L, 4WD, with Navigation. I paid 27,800 for it in Northern NA. This was the drive off the lot price - includes tax and title.

I paid in cash.

Good Deal?
  • jdwksujdwksu Member Posts: 27
    I don't seem to be getting any great offers in Kansas City, but maybe I am wrong. Tell me where they should be at...

FWD EX-L 24,995 (includes Dest but not dealer admin fee 229)
    FWD EX 22,500 (dest inc)
    AWD EX 23,723 (dest Inc)

I think they should be able to go lower than this right?
  • cal4492cal4492 Member Posts: 2
    Am gettting ready to lease a CR-V. Can any one advise what kind of residual values are being offered in the NYC/NJ tri-state area?
    Sorry to be asking this question, but in looking at the price you got, it seems as if you got it for $800 below invoice? Is that correct?
    How did you get so much off invoice? Which dealer if I may ask?
    did you ever get any prices?
    Whne using the Honda page, did any of you put in your actual address or just an email. I don't really want to give them my address except for zip code
    yes that's about right.

i think it would be really helpful to everyone if when you are asking about "good quotes" you used a format that is

car price:
    destination:

That is the information that is what you are after. Area taxes differ significantly and are not negotiable so what you really want to compare is the car price offered with the destination. Documentation is pretty similar within an area.

And be absolutely sure there are no "other" fees besides the documentation and licensing.
    Can't tell because we don't know what your taxes are. What was the car plus destination price?
    Residuals aren't great at all on CRV's and money factors are worse. They simply have no interest in leasing. Take a look at the RAV4 leases....much more appealing.
  • jmc1010jmc1010 Member Posts: 2
    Taxes: 3% so around $800

licesning fees were $180

Destination fee was $670 (waived).

I walked out paying $27,800 total.
  • wandafondawandafonda Member Posts: 12
    Just to give you some perspective, On November 31st 2007 I bought a 2008 EXL with NAV for 26,698. This is the car price with no taxes, tags or delivery fees or options other than the free cargo mat and wheel locks that were included @no charge. ($126.00 value)
    this vehicle was purchased in Southern New Jersey at Willis Honda. I highly recommend them over Burns Honda in Marlton which is a "string you along then rip you off "joint. Glacier blue was the color, which is the one I wanted.
    Happy hunting....
    Wanda
    FYI. I used the Honda page by only using my zip code. Sent to 4 dealers. Got two replies. One wanted me to call while the other said I "should stop by". What is the point of having internet managers? How long did it take those of you to get quotes?
    Hey got you beat -- sent my EXACT what i want request to the Honda Internet managers saying that i had already driven the car - knew the color i wanted - and all i needed was an OTD price to make my decison....

Out of the 14 Honda Internet Departments within a 125 mile radius -

08 of the 14 said that they need to CALL me in order to get me the best deals

1 said that he couldn't give me a good quote till i drove down to Test Drive the car

3 of them said that I would need to come down to their store for the best deal...

4 asked for addtional info -- (I mean my email was so precise that I have no idea what additonal info they needed)

3 of the 14 did not reply

Only two of the 14 actually sent me a detailed breakdown of charges -- so i am going to ONLY work with those two...

I am with you -- I have no idea what good is it to have an Internet Sales Department when they want you to call them or tell you that you ned to come down for the best deal...
    Can you tell me how many inquiries you sent out and how many responded
  • weitlamweitlam Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Jackson, MS and looking to buy a 2008 CRV LX 2 WD. I've shopped around and locally can only get them to cone down to $19700. How do you get them to waive destination fees and dealership fees? I'm trying to get a good deal but they won't budge. Do you think Sept will be much different with the 09s coming out. Thanks for any help or advice anyone can give!!
    I plan on making all my deals tomorrow and hopefully getting it tomorrow (CRV EX-L w/ NAV)... the vehicle is very popular and they are about to start shipping the 09s in a couple of weeks.. yes you could wait to end of next month and get better deals but two things could also happen - 1. They simply don't have the vehilce that you want, 2. You are stuck with a color that no one else wants...

as for destination and dealership fees -- there is no way to "force" them to do anything -- only thing you can do is set your highest OTD price and if they can't get under that -- then walk ... thi is definitley a buyers market -- you just have to be willing to walk...

As far as waiting to next month for better deals -- My concern is that they are going to start running out of 2008 inventory because they are waiting for the 2009 to come in and by you waiting an extra month for a "great" deal then your're risking the chance of being left with nothing...

To me not worth the risk -- if the dealer is not budging though and you don't like the price --then shop around -- you just will have to go further out to find a better deal..

just ,my .02c
    Different regions have different competitive situations. It seems you can generally get a better internet response in markets that have a lot of dealerships. At many dealerships the "Internet Manager" is often just a new salesperson, or sometimes an administrative person that has been given strict guidelines what to quote--there are exceptions. Many dealerships are loathe to offer their best prices in writing just so you can take it to another dealer for them to match it, or go under it by $50. That's one reason they prefer to deal in person if possible. Most will also give you a verbal quote over the phone. Let them know you're ready to buy today.

Having said that, the internet is a good place to start. Reward the dealer that is closest to meeting your quote requirements, but view that as a starting price for negotiations unless you are certain you probably can't improve on it (a very rare occurrence). Unless you have to buy a car right now, I wouldn't consider any price that isn't somewhere below dealer invoice (inclusive of destination), preferably by 2% or more--and that is invoice, not sticker. The 2008's are "day old bread," and that is only a good deal if you can get it for the right price. If that can't be achieved I think most people would be better served waiting for a 2009.
  • soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    From initial quotes that I got from several dealers in Texas, here's what I got for a CRV LX 2WD:

$ 19,343
    Tax = 6.25%
    License/Reg Fees = ~ $250-$260

Next lowest quote I got was $19,670.
    That's not a bad price. In many markets the FWD LX can be had for about invoice ($19,927) all the time, so you're saving about $600 over a 2009 model, assuming Honda doesn't raise prices. Only you can decide if that is enough of a savings. If that was the initial quote, I'd at least try to get some mats and/or a cargo tray and front splash guards thrown in. I would expect a lot of deals this Labor Day weekend. Good luck.
  • soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    Anyone know which retains the higher resale values of the two?
  • cschwartz59cschwartz59 Member Posts: 14
    $25,188 inc. dest. at Honda of Santa Ana.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,820
    Depends on where you live.. 2WD SUVs are hard to sell in the midwest...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• crvpittcrvpitt Member Posts: 1
    Anybody knows the latest deal on CRV EX 4WD in PA area?

THis is the lowest quote from a dealer:

$23,678 + tax (7%) + ($165 for title/registration)

Do you think this is a deal or I get a better one?

Appreciate your opinion.
    Thanks.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Supply may be tight in your area. Perhaps widen your search area (if you're up to the drive) and see what NY/NJ metro area are bringing. Go back a few posts and you'll see over $1000.00 LESS then what you have bee quoted.
  • taky08taky08 Member Posts: 1
    i am in north NJ. i sent 15 online quote requests and only got 5 replies back. (the rest are either "call me back" or just give me a very low price without disclosing other fees.) the lowest internet quote i got is $22456 plus destination (for EX AWD), which i think it's just $1 below invoice.
    my question is: how can you guys get quotes which are $500 below invoice? i don't like calling and haggling but if everyone has to do this to get this price, probably i have to pick up the phone and follow up?
    or, is the north NJ market always that tight?