Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    manchalasmanchalas Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all the people in this forum.

I have haggled and searched from dealer to dealer and finally bought my Honda CRV LX AWD at 3700$ less than the MSRP.

The MSRP is 23200 and I got it for 19500.

My advice to everyone, the MSRP is just a gimmick. We can really haggle and get a lot less on any vehicle. The best way to buy ANY NEW vehicle is; goto kbb and get the previous year model private party value with 10,000 miles. That price will tell you how much you will probably get for your vehicle if you sell it after one year. See that value and add 1000 or 2000 to it to get your new vehicle value.

My experience says if you bargain well, you can get 15% off MSRP for any vehicle. That may be the least any dealer can go too.
  • Options
    megahitmegahit Member Posts: 10
    Hi Manchlas,

This sound to be a good price. Can you tell in which area and which dealer that you the vehicle from ?

What was the OTD price that you paid ?
  • Options
    jleijlei Member Posts: 3
    A Honda sales person quoted me $25,500 for a CRV EX-L AWD with navi. That sounds like a pretty good price. That's not the OTD price. I've been to two other dealers and they all tell me this is a bogus price. I'm going back Friday and keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    infinitelurkerinfinitelurker Member Posts: 2
    Wow - that seems like a screaming deal - any chance you could email me that quote? I'm looking to buy in the next few days and would love to get that price.
  • Options
    ramohioramohio Member Posts: 15
    2009 CR-V LX AWD Urban Titanium Metallic with black cloth interior built in East Liberty OHIO - MSRP $23,115. Paid $20,700 + $200 for cargo cover plus TTL in Columbus Ohio. There was $500 Factory to Dealer Incentive. So, price was almost $900 below invoice. Financed with Chase @ 6% APR, 0 down. Could have I gotten a better price? Probably. Financing? I got approved. I wish there was special Honda Financing like with Civic. I almost bought the Civic Hybrid @ 3.9% APR with the $2000 Factory to Dealer Incentive. But I had to have the CRAVE!!! Could have got much better price discounts and special APRs on so many other vehicles. But I afraid to buy any brand but Honda. I own the 2005 Honda Element EX AWD and it is the most troublefree SUV, and I love it, despite the bumpy ride and 20-23 MPG.
    2 hours in and out. It was easy, painless, and no-pressure. I recommend the dealer Hugh White Honda. My friends and family have purchased many vehicles there.
  • Options
    jleijlei Member Posts: 3
    I got the quote at the dealership, but I couldn't make up my mind at that time. I will go back tomorrow and see if the guy keeps his word on the price.
  • Options
    infinitelurkerinfinitelurker Member Posts: 2
    Please keep us updated or private mail me the info if you would - I'm going to buy tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    manchalasmanchalas Member Posts: 2
    Hi megahit,

I bought it from Herb Chambers, CommonWealth ave, Boston, MA.

Yes I agree the price was a killer deal; 3700 off MSRP. But I guess not all dealers can do that price. Some dealers straight away rejected me. I had to go through lot of dealers to settle at that price.

Even edmunds.com says any dealer will offer 1500 off msrp without a bargain. If you bargain well, they'll offer 3000 or more.
  • Options
    mehran4096mehran4096 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get upgraded 6 spoke wheels?
    Thanks,
    Ron
  • Options
    GCN71GCN71 Member Posts: 9
    I live in Arlington, Va and am looking for a CV-R EX L AWD with NAV and want to find the best price in the Washington, DC region. Any help?
  • Options
    happywakkohappywakko Member Posts: 5
    This is great to know. I am going out this weekend to dealers in this area and I will see if I can use this as leverage. If you have a sales person that would want to do the same deal this week I would be happy to give him my business.
  • Options
    bss2bss2 Member Posts: 2
    I've been following this great forum since Nov. when we started looking. Uneasy about my job so I waited til now. I did the internet quote thing and got several good initial quotes from dealers within 60 miles. In the end I got it for $22900 out the door with a lifetime powertrain warranty. Paperwork says $22750 for the car, so $149 for everything else. No sales tax in NH so $22900 was it! I think I got a good deal. Dealer was Honda of Keene - nice people, low pressure. I should also mention Peters Honda in Nashua had a better price but because of the distance, I chose a more local dealer.

I'm so psyched!
  • Options
    I have contacted a few dealers for an AWD CRV LX and the best "starting offer" is 21000 OTD. i was told that the prices are only good through the 6th since that is when new incentives begin. Anyone have an inside track on what they might be offering as of the 7th?
  • Options
    crv1234crv1234 Member Posts: 1
    The lowest quote for 2009 Honda CR-V LX 2WD I got today is $19500 (including des. fee), not including TTL. I'm in California. The total fee including the title and license fee and all other fees excluding the documentation fee is about $325. Am I getting a good price? Is the $325 a right figure? The documentation fee is $55. Besides, I was told that the CA state tax would also be charged on the documentation fee. Is that a right charge?
  • Options
    mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    I have started to receive internet quotes. So far the best quote is $25,795 + tax + DMV fees, this quote includes destination. Does this seem high?

Has anyone purchased a similar vehicle on Long Island, NY lately that can offer a sales contact and price?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the internet salespeople to lower the price?

Edmunds lists $25,837 including destination but I see other posts listing $24,400 (I am not sure what was included in this quote) and $24,700 with destination.

Thank you in advance for you suggestions.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Take 11 to 12% off MSRP...

Purchased /|/ Trim /|/ City /|/ State /|/ MSRP /|/ Paid /|/ Savings

Feb 22, 2009 | EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT | Palo Alto | CA | $27,765 | $24,488 | 11.80%
    Apr 3, 2009 | EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT | Nashville | TN | $28,365 | $25,618 | 9.68%
    Apr 7, 2009 | EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT | Brewster | NY | $27,900 | $25,800 | 7.53%
    Apr 18, 2009 | EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT | Chicago | IL | $27,915 | $24,500 | 12.23%
    May 9, 2009 | EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT | Lisle | IL | $27,915 | $24,700 | 11.52%
  • Options
    mazdabuyer08mazdabuyer08 Member Posts: 17
    bigdaddi118,
    Do these prices paid include the $710 destination, and any other fees?
    THX
  • Options
    mazdabuyer08 --- Dest charge inclusive + dealer admin/docs fee, TT&L

if you want more info, click my name to email me...
  • Options
    jimmyhankjimmyhank Member Posts: 2
    How much should I get off msrp of 25,450 on a 2009 demo with 5500 miles on it
  • Options
    ca2txca2tx Member Posts: 1
    Many thanks to those who have taken the time to post here. I'm grateful for the help and firmly believe that I would have paid much more for my CR-V if I hadn't found this forum.

I'm getting ready to move to TX, so I did ALL of my haggling by email, until the very very end when I accepted the deal. They brought my car to me as well, and for no charge. After getting the price down to what I thought was a decent number once already with Freeway Honda in Santa Ana, I was invited to come by to close the sale only for the Fleet Mgr to be gone, and my car not even in stock! I was frustrated, and left. Thought maybe she'd come down in $ b/c of her mistake, but no. I moved on, and thank Goodness!

SPREEN HONDA in Redlands/Loma Linda beat her "lowest" price by $1300! There were dealers in my area who came in just around $25000, but Spreen was the best by far. I didn't have time to drive so far, so they did the driving for me! I have no idea how they do it, financially. I pored over my contract when they brought it to me, but nothing was wrong. $25396 was from Penske Ontario.

No destination fee, no delivery, only Doc Fee $55, CA Tire Fee $17, and tax. Cash, no trade-in. I love these guys. If anyone wants the guy's name, let me know. Prices may be going lower now that July 4 has passed, but I don't feel taken advantage of at all!

:)
  • Options
    jimmyhank

Re the demo MSRP 25,450 ... dealer should sell to you re below offer. They make about $500 profit, decent but not great.

1. Take 10 to 10.5% off MSRP = 22,905 to 22,778
    2. Take extra $550 re 5500 mi. = 22,355 to 22,228
  • Options
    bss2bss2 Member Posts: 2
    Do those numbers reflect the $500 cash to dealer incentive that runs through 6Jul?
  • Options
    crventhusiastcrventhusiast Member Posts: 2
    Hello crv1234...I am looking to buy a crv, I live in louisiana...what do you think is good deal and what other charges can I anticipate. this is my first car so I am naive...your help would be greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    crventhusiastcrventhusiast Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I am buying my first car and hence a rookie in this regard...I would appreciate any help in the direction of purchasing CRV '09 LX 2WD, what would be the best price to pay, what would be other charges that I can anticipate and what can I expect the vehicle on the road price to be???

I have been on the lot and was offered 18990 with my '94 corolla (kbb price- Dealer $800, third party - $1500) trade-in...that was the first day on lot and dint know if it was good deal to sign...They said I got that price as it was 5 mins before closing of business for that day and should not anticipate any later day...is that true? Please help...

I live in Louisiana...My colour preference is metallic green with tan interiors...

Any help is appreciated...
  • Options
    AJ34474AJ34474 Member Posts: 14
    Many dealers try to create "a sense of urgency" by making you think that you are getting "a special price". Don't fall for this ploy. Take your time shop around.
  • Options
    You can see what others are paying on this thread to give you an idea. I have been just emailing dealers in the area telling them that I need a quote and then I bounce it off the others. Some wont play that way, but I have a few that will. Then you need to make sure you are not taken advantage of once you go into the dealer. THey will sell you everything from floor matts to undercoating to rustproofing to VIN etching, alarms, extended warranty. You don't have to buy any of it. Tell them to give you the matts and you can buy your own VIN etching kit if you want for like $20.

I highly suggest reading http://www.carbuyingtips.com for more than you ever wanted to know.

Oh and if you are financing the car you can shop around for that as well. So far i have found AAA (if you are a member) has the best rates on a 48 or 60 month loan = 4.3% in my area.

Good luck!
  • Options
    It is the 7th and it looks like there are no new offers. Anyone hear anything else?
  • Options
    honda_crvhonda_crv Member Posts: 1
    I got my new Honda CRV paid $20,300 OTD(including TTL + documentation + destination charges) no trade-ins and have a 6% sales tax in my state. I bought this end of June and the dealers are eager to sell it as they have to meet their targets before the 2nd quarter ending(i.e Jun 30th).

This is my first Honda CRV and love it sofar.
  • Options
    vet2be1973vet2be1973 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, everyone. I'm in the Houston area and looking to buy a CR-V. What would be a good deal on a AWD EX-L, a 2WD EX-L, and a AWD EX? I don't care about navigation. Thanks.
  • Options
    jimmyhankjimmyhank Member Posts: 2
    bought the crv -ex with 5,500 miles on it for 21,700
  • Options
    vet2be1973 ... hope you can do better than below numbers from 25 transactions.

2009 Honda CR-V Prices Paid
    Average Savings off MSRP : 9.22%
    Average Dollar Savings $2,433
  • Options
    Thanks. We got a notice from our dealer that we can break our lease and buy or lease a new vehicle. Apparently, Honda is really looking to boost sales and apparently their used car inventory as well. We've had our car for a little over a year. We never really liked the new Accord EX we leased (we loved our midsized 2005 Accord EX - it was sporty, agile, nimble, and had pep) but the new full-sized Accord just is underpowered, sluggish and drives more like an old person's car, even with the more powerful 190hp 4-cylinder engine. The interior is poorly laid out too, compared to the 2005 model.

Anyway, so we are looking at the CR-V. I told the dealer today that if they can give us the same lease payment we have now with nothing down on an 2WD EX-L, we will do it. That may be wishful thinking, but I guess I will see how serious they are to make a deal.
  • Options
    dgrebdgreb Member Posts: 65
    invoice price is NOT the price the dealer gets the car at, it's a fallacy. Edmunds give you a better guide as to the price and the dealer also gets a bonus for selling a certain number of cars.
  • Options
    leto123leto123 Member Posts: 28
    According to Edmunds, there is a $500 manufacturer to dealer rebate in effect until 9/8/09 on the 2009 CRV.

Edmunds link: http://tiny.cc/q6qv5
  • Options
    As a point of reference, a friend of mine went to John Eagle Honda in Houston last week and was offered $26,000 (essentially, invoice + $710 destination charge) for 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD. That price was their first offer, so I'm assuming you could do much better than that.
  • Options
    Did you buy 2009 one ? was it 2wd or 4wd
  • Options
    Thanks leto123. Assuming that I could get a 4WD EX-L for $25k, what kind of deal should I be looking for if I go with the 2WD EX-L? It should be around $2k less than that right?
  • Options
    kcall2kcall2 Member Posts: 18
    Purchased Thursday (left deposit to hold till next week). Deal was as follows:

OTD price $24828
    Includes $480 dealer added accessories - wheel locks, cargo area mat, f&r splash guards, paint and fabric protection.

Oklahoma TTL will be approx $806 in addition to the OTD. The OTD is on the money with TRUECAR price.Dealer is Steve Bailey Honda. Very good guys to deal with. Recently accompanied daughter on purchase of Accord EX-L, and they beat every dealer in the metro by $525 to over $1400. Use Edmunds dealer pricing request and you will get the same guys who helped me with both sales. There are only two of them.

Tango red, gray leather, and gorgeous. Can't wait to bring her home! ;)
  • Options
    According to Edmunds.com, there is a $1,113 difference in invoice price between AWD than FWD (2009 CRV EX-L AWD invoice = 25,342; 2009 CRV EX-L FWD invoice = 24,229) Those invoice prices don't include the $710 destination charge, which you must pay and are the same for the AWD and FWD.
  • Options
    Can you please post a breakdown of your costs - car price, taxes, documentation fee, and licensing fees? It will help those who are in different states and are not familiar with your local taxes and fees. Thanks!
  • Options
    kcall2kcall2 Member Posts: 18
    Sure thing!

CRV MSRP $26755 (including shipping)
    doc fee 299
    sub-total 27054

addl equipment
    (pro pack) 480
    total 27531

total OTD $24828 or $2706 off.

Dealer add-ons (they call it the pro-pack) are apparently put on every car as soon as it arrives.

Taxes and license are paid at time of registration of vehicle directly to state of Oklahoma, and are 3.25 percent of sales price or approx $806. Dealer does not collect this fee. I gotta pay this within 30 days of delivery, or be penalized. :P
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "Wishful thinking"

Ah...more like impossible. Getting out of a lease after one year, put nothing down and lease a more expensive car for the same payment?

Nothing to do with how serious they are. Just the math.
  • Options
    dangerman77dangerman77 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased in northern NJ, knew exactly what I wanted, had done all my pricing research, brought a thick folder with me, and told the salesperson, "You can make a profit, I get a good deal, and we open up a space on your lot today."

2009 CR-V EX 4WD.....22143
    Delivery......710
    Title/Reg.....299
    Doc....249
    NJ Tax....1599

25000 out the door. Did better than I thought I would, and had my new CR-V in my driveway 5 hours later.
  • Options
    Just got back from the dealer in Eastern MA - AWD CRV LX
    111 - registration
    299 - doc fee - I fought this three times and what they came back with was lowering the financing from 7.99 to 3.99 for 48months (I had secured 4.35 with AAA)
    1015 - MA tax (which will get a nice write-off thanks to the Obama "spend everyone's tax money" stimulus :)

I still feel dirty for paying the doc fee but I am thrilled with the financing.
  • Options
    crvwencrvwen Member Posts: 5
    Hi, dangerman77,
    where in Northern NJ? Thanks!
  • Options
    tjxtjx Member Posts: 32
    Best Deal in DC region. Heritage Honda, Parkville Md. (Just outside Baltimore).
    I live in Virginia Beach, Va., 237 miles away. Completed entire deal with Parkville's internet manager online who will email you all prices line by line, not a bait and come on in to talk dealer. Virginia Beach area has six honda dealers and one told me if I could purchase it at that price, go get it. I did, and saved $1400 off the the lowest price in my area for an EX-L AWD. An added bonus, Maryland law caps the dealer processing fee at $100. Give the internet manager a try! Good luck.
  • Options
    cjosephsoncjosephson Member Posts: 24
    Is this a good deal? Selling price $23961, dealer fee $399, Florida tire and battery disposal fee $8.50, license plate transfer $59. I think an additional $400 will be added for wheel locks, cargo tray, and scotchguard. Dealer looking for car without the addons to save me the $400 but hard to find.
  • Options
    panizzapanizza Member Posts: 4
    WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR DEAL
  • Options
    Hi Tjx,

What was the OTD price you got ?
  • Options
    crvnewbie1crvnewbie1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 09 CR-V for 25,692 + 299 doc fee +TTL in Ogden Utah. Thanks to those who gave feedback on this forum. It was a great help!!