Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• laiwlaiw Posts: 9
    manufacture rebate
  • spaceonespaceone Posts: 1
    I would like to know if I have to fill out the "Credit Application" form at the car dealer when I pay for the car by cashier check (financed through my bank)? Can I refuse to fill that form out since I do not go through the finance from car dealer? Would that form is required for DMV's or any other purposes? Car dealer insisted that I need to fill out that form. Thank you.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    You might want to post that question in the smart shopper section, just click the browse by board and you'll see the smart shopper section, seems I recall they have a section where that is discussed.
  • mquillenmquillen Posts: 71
    chenscape, so we all can understand, what was the dealer fee? There's nothing wrong with a reasonable profit for the dealer. I agree with your take on FWD vs AWD. It's lighter, a little better fuel mileage (1 mpg highway), and a bit less maintenance. The fact is most people really don't need AWD. Is it a nice feature? Yes. Is it necessary for everyone? Definitely not. In a culture of "more is better" and "wanting the best," we sometimes get blinded as to what we really need. Although the AWD maintains its resale value of $1200, why tie those funds up if you don't need to (about $23/month over 60 mos). The frustration for some of us up in the northern climes, where there are fewer FWD CR-V's, is that dealers are not discounting them as much because there are fewer units. Consequently, AWD for an additional $600 or $700 is a bit more reasonable given that it gets $1200 more at resale. I too am looking for a FWD CR-V. For me, if the dealer isn't going to give me a reasonable deal on a 2008 FWD, I'll wait for the 2009's and/or find another dealer.
  • efpat2efpat2 Posts: 11
    mguillen, What do you think is a reasonable deal for a 2008 EX-L AWD? Thanks.
    efpat
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,850
    The car dealer wants backup, in case that cashiers check is no good.. Besides having credit in place in case of a bad check.. they want to check your credit to see the likelihood that the check is good in the first place..

If you don't want to fill out the form, then give them the check and wait two weeks for it to clear.. then go pickup your car..

Most people just fill out the form..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

efpat, that's difficult to answer. First, reasonable means different things to different people, and it also depends on your region of the country and how many units are available for sale. Further clouding the issue is the fact that 2009's are just around the corner. Apparently you are in the New Jersey area, and in a prior post you said you got a quote for $25,350, which is about $140 below invoice. I consider that reasonable, but what were the doc fees, which is also part of the dealer profit--New Jersey has no limit on those. We would need to know that to get an idea of the total price of the vehicle. I've seen invoice price in the midwest for 2WD EX-L with leather, but they are indeed scarce. For a 4WD EX-L, which is more plentiful, invoice should be very doable at this late date in the model year, and some here have bettered that, apparently. If you need a vehicle, and a dealer has the color and trim that you want, I certainly wouldn't let a couple hundred dollars sway my decision. Althought Honda of America Mfg. doesn't have steel contracts coming due for the 2009 model year, it has been reported that some steel companies are trying to add various surcharges that will significantly impact pricing. Honda is usually great at keeping a lid on cost increases, but they can only do so much in this inflationary economy in which we find ourselves.
  • efpat2efpat2 Posts: 11
    mguillen,
    Thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I didn't bother to get a complete quote because I was in a rush. I am also not ready to buy until early or mid August. Some other NJ dealers are charging $199 for docs. I also realize the choices will go down as the model year runs out. The salesman at the dealer said the 2009 CRVs will arrive in September but could not say exactly when. Do you have any idea. Also, just curious, your comment about steel contracts shows an unusual depth of knowledge - are you in the business? efpat
    efpat, I really don't know when Honda will officially release the 2009's for sale, but you'll usually see them in the back lots of dealerships well before the official kickoff date. Honda starts producing them right after their July holiday shutdown. I have a bit of insight into the industry as I used to work for a major manufacturer in their purchasing division. You can probably guess which one, lol.
  • ecoplinecoplin Posts: 2
    I bought the car in Atlanta, GA. Do you think I got a good deal????
  • doc0704doc0704 Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum and looking for help purchasing the 2008 Honda CR-V EX 2WD. I have been in contact with several fleet/internet depts in the PHX area through Cars.com. So far I have been quoted $22,528, $22,436, and $22,000 (these $ only include the destination charge). How can I get them down further? What other fees are there and how much should they be (doc, dmv, tire)? Thank you!
  • I'm considering a quote from Herb Chambers Honda in Boston. It's $23,479 OTD. Here's the breakdown:

$22,000 (base price including destination fee)
    $1,100 (5% Mass. tax)
    $379 (doc./plates/registration)

Based on Edmunds and others, this looks good to me. A bit easier than I thought though. Any comments?
    That $22K price is about $400 below actual dealer cost (inclusive of holdback). The doc might be a bit high, but the dealer needs to make money somewhere, and I don't see where they are making anything on this deal. Some of the numbers I'm seeing makes me wonder if there might be some hidden incentives going on, or the dealer is trying to get you into the showroom for the big switcheroo. Most likely you found a dealer experiencing a dismal July (everyone in Boston goes to the Cape, right?) and they're getting nervous with too many 2008's on hand. Please let us know how the final transaction goes.
  • bugg2008bugg2008 Posts: 7
    $22,479 OTD seems like a very good price, as I have been obtaining quotes online in the north of boston area all week as well as western MA. (I decided to go for the EXL AWD $25,000 with dest. $26,653 OTD and dealer was willing to find the color I wanted as they had very little on their lot.) I obtained over 10 quotes just for the fun of it-some were serious, some were nowhere close to a good price and one wouldn't give a quote on line.

Here's what I suggest you when you are ready to actually buy as it worked great for me:
    Take 2 of your very best quotes to the dealer that you prefer to do business with and not necessarily the one with the lowest quote) and tell them, and this is important, that you are prepared to buy a car today from THEM right now, and that you will if they can significantly beat the quotes that you have and get you the color vehicle that you want.. I did this going in with a quote of $25K without dest which happens to be a decent quote and they "ate" the dest and said they would go 25k WITH the dest. It was a done deal for me.
    I didn't have a trade so that simplified it. I also had my financing in place before I went but told them if they could beat the rate I would go with their financing.

Believe me, if they know that you are serious about buying that day and that you have done your homework you stand a very good chance of getting the deal that you hoped for. If you can wait to the last week of the month, all the better. They are really trying to move the 08's before the 09's come out..

thetwo best quotes came from Commonwealth Honda, Lawrence Ma and Atamian Honda,Tewsksbury, MA They were both super to deal with online, no pressure and no phone calls. There didn't inundate me with follow up emails, either.
    Good Luck and let us know how you made out!
    bugg2008 wrote:
    $22,479 OTD seems like a very good price...

Just so there's no confusion, beaker's OTD price was quoted at $23,479, not $22,479, for a 2008 CR-V EX AWD, which seems to be excellent if it transacts at that price. Regardless, bugg, you did a nice negotiation on your EX-L AWD, and provided some good tips.
  • mquillen -- Thought you would be interested in this breakdown. This was from one of the dealers who had originally sent me a quote that I then asked for an Out the Door Price. Pretty easy to see where they are trying to make their extra profit. That $499 Doc Fee is way too high. At least Alabama taxes are cheap :P

$21,100 + doc fee $499 + anti theft etching $299 + sales tax $711.68 + title fee $16.50 = $22,626.18

When I inquired about the anti theft etching, the salesman said "We etch all of our cars, however we can omit the cost to you if you do not want it."

I will get serious about negotiating if Honda offers some cash back on 2008s. Otherwise it just makes sense to wait for Sept-Oct and get a 2009. Has anyone seen anything listing any changes for the 2009s? I am sure they will be minor, but it would be nice to know what they are (if any).
  • doc0704doc0704 Posts: 2
    How do you find out an estimate for sales tax? I live in AZ and think sales tax is 5.6% from my research. Do you need to add city sales tax for where you buy it? The dealerships I have contacted have just given me the base price or the base with destination fee. Will they provide an OTD price through e-mail? Where do you get an estimate for a reasonable doc fee? Thanks!
  • I was able to get a couple of OTD prices through email. In fact, what I had in my post was a copy/paste from the dealership. As far as sales tax, I am sure it varies how it works state to state. I found the new vehicle tax rate on the website for the County I live in doing a search on "registering a car". In AL, there is a state tax of 2% and then you would pay the city tax rate for where the dealership is located. For me, the nearest dealership is in Huntsville, which has a city tax of 2% for a total tax of 4%. Now the tax that was quoted to me in the above post was from a different dealership a little further away which has a city tax of 1.25% for a total tax of 3.25%. What I was curious about was "what if I bought a car out of state? what would be my total tax? When I register the vehicle, I would pay the 2% state tax, and then .75% tax based on my residence (I live in the County) for a total tax of 2.75%. Since I live about 15 miles from the Tenn. border, it is certainly something for me to consider. Even .5% less in tax is $110 on a $22K vehicle.

Reasonable doc fee? I don't really know what is reasonable. One dealership that gave me the lowest initial quote wanted $499 doc fee (see above). A different dealership that had a little bit higher initial quote wanted a $299 doc fee. Definitely reply to the emails you got requesting an OTD price with a breakdown of fees. Thats what I did and both dealerships replied the same day. When I questioned the anti-theft etching fee ($299 -- almost pure profit for them), they both said they could get rid of that fee.

Boy my fingers are tired from typing :sick:
  • Follow up: I got a copy of the sales agreement sent to me today. Price listed ($23,479) is shown as final price. Just waiting for the financing check and I should be going in tomorrow or Friday to finish paperwork and then pick up the CR-V the next day.

Since the deal was relatively easy, I am (of course) thinking I should have either pushed the dealer more or shopped the deal around first. But I don't think I would have been able to get much lower than I got...another $250 - $500 wouldn't have been worth the time and energy. I'm happy where I ended up.
  • I am ready to start getting quotes on a new CR-V EX-L 4WD. Most sites list the "Invoice" around $24800 + dest so you're looking at "dealer cost" of $25470. If those numbers are correct & holdback is only on the $24800 they're already making $496 on the sale w/o doc fee. Is that correct thinking?
    What is "fair profit" to assume a dealer should make on a sale? $400? $600? Is it taboo to mention the 2% holdback and call them out on doc fees being a fancy word for profit?
    I want to get a good deal but don't want to put them on the defensive too much.
  • I certainly don't think it is taboo to mention the 2% holdback -- especially if you are dealing with the Internet Sales Manager. More than likely, he is a salaried employee of the dealership. If you just walk in off the street, the typical car salesman is working of commission, and that area between Invoice & MSRP is where he gets his slice of the pie. I avoid car salesmen like the plague. Sorry, but in every single car purchase that I have made where I talked to a salesman first, I was explaining features to him. What service is he providing me?

As others have posted, getting OTD (base price, dest, & any fees) for Invoice to Invoice + $200 should not be difficult to do. TTL is unique for each person (based on where they are buying the vehicle) so remember to view that separately when you read through this forum.

As far as putting them on the defensive -- it's not something that concerns me. I'm not there to make a new best friend.
  • hondamom6hondamom6 Posts: 19
    I am interested in a 2008 Honda CR-V 2WD EXL. My research indicated the MSRP is $26170. I live in East Texas and I got an email quote from Jack of Diamonds in Tyler for $24673 - the esalesman tells me that is drive off price plus TT&L - he swears by email that there are no other fees tacked on and that he can get me the color I want (green tea) although they don't have that color on the lot. Destination charge is included in the price.

Meanwhile, I'm dealing in person with Brew Honda in Longview TExas where I have previously bought 3 Hondas. The lowest price they have offered me is $25300 and they keep mumbling something about having to charge more since they would have to deal with another dealership to get the color I want and blah blah. I told them about the other equote and they started rambling on about how Jack of Diamonds probably can't get any and would charge abunch of fees once I got there and so on.

After reading the really good quotes people on here are getting and on 4WD at that, I really feel like I'm getting royally screwed. Any help??????
    speedracer, thanks for the price breakdown, and the education on sales taxes in the Alabama area. In the Ohio area, a 2008 LX AWD can easily be had for about $20, 944 (before TTL and DOC) and our DOC fee is limited to $250 (which is still too much in my opinion). As you noticed, it's important to treat the DOC fees, and etching, etc, as part of the dealer profit. Some dealers try to make people think the DOC is a state mandated fee, lol.

Some of these dealers really try to differentiate themselves. Before we even talked price at one dealer, the dealer was telling me they are offering a "lifetime" engine warranty on every car they sell. Of course, I'm thinking, how much is this going to cost me. Needless to say, we never got that far. I'm going to wait for a 2009 as well.
    divotman, first of all there seems to be a bit of disagreement between various sources as to whether the holdback is 2% or 3%. I've talked to some dealers that claim the holdback which they talk about is 2%, but there's another 1% that is never discussed. For Honda that holdback is on the base MSRP. So the holdback for rhe EX-L 4WD is close to $800. Of course dealers don't want to discuss holdback, or anything else indicating how much profit they're making. Some vehicles are a bit scarce in some areas, and dealers are pricing them accordingly. As far as doc fees, Edmonds lists IL as limited to $55, is that correct?
    hondamom, I don't know about Texas, but in Ohio the 2WD EX-Ls are almost impossible to find. I've actually been told that they are essentially gone until 2009. That's probably why your dealer is playing hard ball. As we approach July month end and some dealerships aren't making their numbers, make an offer you are comfortable with and be prepared to walk out.
    Hondamom6,
    Car buying can be so over whelming! Last weekend my sister bought her very first new car at 48yrs old. She was so distraught every time she even thought about going to a car dealer, as she had "no clue". She asked me for help, followed my instructions to the letter, went to the car dealer alone and got a deal that she can feel good about, (of which I outlined in a previous post), EX-L AWD $24,330+670 dest+1250tax+299doc fee+75reg+29sticker. They even found the color she wanted at another dealership for her.

First I think that you should get more than 2 quotes, if you haven't already. I obtained more than 10 (using the Honda.com site) but that is a little over the top, I admit. It doesn't matter if the dealer isn't local. Let them know that you are willing to travel if necessary.
    When you ask for a quote be specific. This is important. Tell them that you want a quote without destination and an itemization of all fees/costs. I was surprised to find that nearly all complied. Also let them know that you are serious by letting them know that you will be buying within the next few days. This makes a big difference, in my opinion.

You should be able to get a good handle on the dealer's invoice cost thru reading this website. Personally, I would "shoot" for approx $500-600 below the dealer's invoice(before destination). Also if you can go within the last week of the month they are even more motivated. I think the key to the quotes is getting an exact listing of all fees and costs so that you can compare "apples to apples"

Once you have obtained all quotes, go to the dealer you would most like to do business with and show him your lowest quote(s). I always carry a folder in hand.
    Because you have done your homework you should have a target price that you are comfortable with. Present him with that price and tell him that you will buy right, on the spot now, if he can meet it.( I also recommend having your financing in place before you go-If the dealer has a better rate than go with it)

Otherwise, be prepared to walk.

If they see that you are serious, have done your homework and are prepared to walk you have a very good chance of getting your price.
    Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.
  • ykckbyykckby Posts: 30
    Bugg...your post is very helpful. I live north of Boston and am about to venture on a purchase of a CRV EXL or Rogue. Did you do your search solely on the internet and then head to the dealer? Do you then have to deal with a salesman? I HATE car buying...hate hate hate.
    Did you also contact Commonwealth in Burlington?

Thanks
  • lithalumlithalum Posts: 1
    That's a really good deal. The lowest quote I got is 24,590 OTD in chicago. Do you have the name/email of the continental dealer?

Thanks!
  • adam74adam74 Posts: 5
    Bought my 2008 CR-V EX 4WD on June 29 2008. The lowest internet quote I got was $22,256 + $630 destination charge. After 3 hours going to and fro, got the dealer to throw in Remote engine start and auto day/night rear view mirror for free. So in all I was satisfied with the deal I got. But the negotiating part really drained me out. I hated it.
    ykckby... I am always glad to help.
    We are lucky in the North of Boston area, as there are quite a few Honda dealers. I never had to speak to a salesperson, as I was able to do it all on line. I used the Honda.com site and used "locate a dealer" option,entered my zip and clicked on "list all". Then I proceed to fill out the short form provided, being very explicit as to my quote, asking for a complete itemization of all fees,costs etc. I entered all zeros for the phone number so they wouldn't call and under "contact preferences" I checked "e-mail".
    I was delighted to receive complete quotes for the most part and when I replied, asking for more info they jumped right on it
    The dealership that I contacted in Burlington was Herb Chambers. Commonwealth Honda is in Lawrence, Ma.

I stated in my previous post that I assisted my sister with her purchase. I did all the research and forwarded the quotes (which by the way had my name, not hers on them) to her. The kicker is she got her "car buying confidence" up and decided to go to the dealer without me. This is a person who thought she was going to be sick when she first pulled int the dealership! She purchased the car out in Western MA instead of out here, even though the best quote were North of Boston. If my sister can do this so can you!

The best quotes came from Commonwealth in Lawrence, MA:

Thank you for your inquiry. We have a great availability of the 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L . The List Price on this vehicle would be $27,370.00 and the Invoice is approximately $25,491. Our net cost on this model with all incentives, rebates and coupons would be $24,957. Our best price is the price that beats any other dealership. It's our policy to beat any bona-fide deal by up to $500.00.

And

Atamian Honda in Tewksbury:
    MRSP $27,335
    Internet Quote $25,456 WITH destination
    The Internet sale Mgr was wonderful-even though I didn't speak with him on the phone he answered everything completely-no pressure and was very up front-

Again, my sister paid $25,000 WITH destination and they obtained a car from another dealeer for her You may do better than that.
    You just need to put a little time into requesting the quotes-go prepared to walk away if they won't meet your price.
    You don't need to talk to anyone until you are absolutely ready to buy
    Please let me know what happen or if I can answer anything else-
    GOOD LUCK!