Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kusonkuson Posts: 8
    Metro honda is very good with those emails they send out.. They always intentionally forget to include something. Be careful..I learned my lesson last weekend.
    2WD or 4WD?
  • jnnt29jnnt29 Posts: 9
    I'm in North Jersey and got my EX 4WD for 21k at Madison Honda in NJ. I requested several internet quotes and they were very good. I originally was going to get the EX-L 4WD for 24500.
  • goel_argoel_ar Posts: 12
    Anything specific? this is the price I got over the phone.
    Nassakeag,

Yes. it doesn't include destination & taxes etc.

#1 - I have asked for written quote in an email - would that be good?
    #2 - What other charges shall I expect on top of this price?

Any idea how much more negotiation I could expect?
    21,838 - is the quote got in NNJ
  • lori56lori56 Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if Honda is offering an incentive in August for purchasing a CRV? Anyone have any info that would be helpful in negotiating? Thanks!
    Are below charges normal ? I have been given these in my written quote.

Destination $679
    Motor Vehicle $372.00
    Documentation $279.00
    Window Etching $198.00
    Credit Processing $19.00
    Online Registration $7.70
    Tire Tax $7.50
  • jc9jc9 Posts: 1
    I just lost a good deal for a CRV EX-L AWD, the dealer gave me $23,900 base price but someone bit $700 higher thant the price that i got, they have only one car on color urban titanium. Some one have any other idea where i can get a similar deal in DC area?

Thanks
  • leto123leto123 Posts: 28
    I'm not in your geographic location, but these fees looks pretty inflated. What does the motor vehicle fee cover? Is that a local/county/state fee? The documentation fee is pretty high (mine was $150 in Chicago) and I think you should skip the window etching (I think you can buy a kit to do it yourself for $20-$30 if you really want it).
  • Well, I did my clunker deal today. Basically when emailing by internet I never mentioned clunker. But at some point I had to mention it because some dealers were not even doing clunker deals. Then I had issue of hubby wanting a specific color that many dealers didn't have so I had to call around, revealing clunker. Plus many dealers pretty much suspected that anyone calling them July 31, Aug 1 or 2 had a clunker to trade in. (Any sane car buyer without that issue would avoid shopping now for sure!!!)

So I didn't get the best price, but I'm in NYC metro area and I think prices here are higher than in the Midwest from what I have heard. Learned a lot about buying cars from the experience and hopefully it will help me do better on next vehicle.
  • I got a written quote from a dealer in NJ. You have to pay sales tax, motor vehicle fees (he estimated $190- probably stuff like transfer tags emissions etc) and doc fee of $199 (New York limits doc fee to $45 fortunately).

Definitely get a written quote by email specifying the model you want in particular. Invoice is apparently 26919 + 710. So if he's quoting you 25700 + 710 he's giving you the vehicle at 1200 under invoice. Honda is giving a $500 factory incentive, and I guess the other 700 is either competitive pricing or he's gonna make it up somewhere in extra fees, so make sure to ask what all the other fees are in writing before going in.

Certainly other NJ Honda dealers like DC in Tenafly and Paul Miller were not giving that kind of a discount.
  • Yep- he's making up for that $700 discount with these fees. Destination is actually low, believe it's actually 710 according to Honda website. Motor vehicle should be more like $190 (I paid $150 in New York but it could be like $70 more if you get new plates). Doc fee was 199 at another NJ dealer, so these discrepancies could add up to $460 or so. So you're really coming in around $750 under invoice.

Window etching- BS
    The other charges seem small and probably legit.
  • lori56lori56 Posts: 19
    Could you discern from looking at the VIN, if the vehicle came directly from Japan or was assembled elsewhere? (I was told that the Toyotas from Japan have VINs beginning with the letter "J". I wondered if this was also true for the Hondas.)
    Thanks a lot!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,896
    All cars assembled in Japan have a VIN that starts with J.. not just Toyota...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thank you nassakaeg. anyways it is the price/fees over phone. Might be able to better with in-person negotiation. I got everything in written now.
  • Just got a quota with an OTD price of $23,082.30. The base price is $21,310. Is this a good price? Please comment. Thank you,
    Xiao
  • Get quotes from other dealerships. If you're not doing C4C you have time.
  • went shopping this past weekend. the dealers we went to in Queens, NY are not willing to negotiate, their attitudes were 'take it or leave it', 24-25k OTD :mad:
  • did anyone get their cash? how long does it take for the approval?
  • hoodwinkhoodwink Posts: 21
    jnnt29,
    Is it out the door (OTD) price or is it before tags and taxes? Does it include destination charges also?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    No cash is needed. Dealer will arrange the credit to the new car if qualified. Also will give $100 scrap fee for scraping the clunker.
    ask them to send you an email..you will know what I mean.
    First email they woulndt give you model name, may just write CRV.(not telling whether it is 2wd or 4wd).you reply back asking for right model and he will reply but would miss out destination charges.. catch is to keep something hidden and bring it up when you are there to make purchase :) Old st-- trick.
    Not really for 4wd lx.. best I have so far is 19750 + 710 (dest) + tag + tax + 310 (doc fee) = approx 22400
  • which dealer gave you the quote? thanks
  • gravitigraviti Posts: 1
    Anyone who purchased a vehicle recently in NorCal know how much those fees are? I am planning to purchase a vehicle by the end of this or next week.

Oh, and also anyone who purchased a new CR-V lately, how many miles were on the vehicle on the day you rcvd the keys? 10 miles? 50 miles? What's reasonable? less than 100 miles?

Btw, a few dealerships I talked to are negotiating off of MSRP when they know that you are doing a C4C. If you are not doing a C4C, then if you have Costco or AAA membership, then they start the negotiation off those price lists. If anyone has had a different experience, please share.
  • I live in Skaneateles and saw your post earlier this week. I went to Fox and they denied having made this deal-- even with a print out of your post. I did not like dealing with them. In fact, I bought a 08 Civic EX 18 months ago and went with Lamachia in Syr because Fox was tough to work with. Just fyi. The price you got seemed fair. Thanks for your post.
  • bells1bells1 Posts: 7
    4WD! I live north of route 81; I have to get out of all the snow!! :shades:
  • bells1bells1 Posts: 7
    I'm not a fan of Fox, at all, but I wanted a good deal. It doesn't surprise me that they didn't want to deal....they're making a lot with the cash for clunkers. I think I got it because it was the end of the month and I was more than willing to walk away from it. I had two other dealerships(lammachia and Honda City) willing to work with what I was looking for...but I was glad to get it over with when Fox offered to beat them!! Hope you're enjoying your Civic. I loved my '99 with standard transmission, hated to see it go!! Good luck!
  • I am working on buying a 2-wheel drive EX-L without Nav in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. It looks like the best quote I have so far is just under $24,400 plus TTL. That price includes a 7-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I do not have a trade-in. The price seems decent although sales taxes are pretty high down here. I will definitely have to get the final drive out price before trekking 45 miles to look at the vehicle.

Really, my question is about a feature that I somehow missed when looking at and test driving the vehicles. Really this is a relatively minor point, but on the EX-L without nav, does the radio have the RDS capability where it displays station names and song titles? I hope it does, especially since the Honda Fit that I bought for my daughter three weeks ago has that capability.

By the way, CR-V's seem to still be relatively plentiful in Dallas-Fort Worth. The specific vehicle I am looking for (red EX-L) seems to be in very short supply (might just be one ??) but most other models and colors seem to be available. I started looking at CR-V's and RAV-4's a few weeks ago but there are literally just a handful of RAV-4's of any type in my general vicinity.

Thanks for any information you can share about my radio question above.